Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

-Well, Iizuka was trying to make Knuckles solo game, but Sega didn't greenlighted it, so he's clearly not the person who determines the way of Sonicfranchise these days.

Where's this coming from?

I was expecting the 3DS version to be watered down but it actually looks pretty decent. It still needs more work but it already looks better than the 3DS version of Generations. It's good that they have finally added 3D gameplay.

Edited by C.J

Gotta say this looks MUCH more promising then Sonic Generations 3DS which was just a disappointment.

I kind of feel for the fans of the Adventure era who actually liked Sonic during the "dark age" and want to continue playing platformers like that, because they really aren't being produced outside of maybe Jak & Daxter. Most of the mainstream platformers are more cartoony and vibrant. I dig it, but I understand why some want games that play like their favorite Sonic titles.

It'd be cool if Sega would green light a spinoff title sometime with an Adventure 2 plot and multiple playables, at least to throw them a bone. Make someone else the lead character and declare it non a main series game(so people don't complain) and then release games like this for the rest of us. I'd actually buy both games, I dig the Adventure era too.

I wanna know if SuperSonic will be playable in the 3DS version but i kinda doubt it since dimps is co-developing it and the Wii U version will probably have him playable in every stage.

The 3DS version also follows the Dimps standard formula - in place since Sonic Advance 1 - of having special stages, which means that that's where you acquire the Chaos Emeralds; this implies that their use of Super Sonic also follows their formula, so he'll be either in the final boss fight, or possibly an extra boss fight as in Colours (although that was a weird anomaly where, as I recall it, it seems like they might have cut that idea out of the Wii version but kept it in the DS one).

But even before that sonic games have had Special stages and super sonic was still playable and had a final fight.

But they weren't made by Dimps, and Dimps leans pretty heavily on its formula.

But even before that sonic games have had Special stages and super sonic was still playable and had a final fight.

That's only Sonic 3&Knuckles that does all 3 of those things.

Going back to the artstyle debate, I'm with ArtFenix in that I think it's too cartoony. But for me, unlike ArtFenix, this has nothing to do with it being "kiddy". Who cares if it's kiddy? Sometimes I need a break from the gritty/dark/bloody games and "srs bsns" shooters. I'm sure we've been over that a thousand times now; kiddy != bad.

Anyway, I was playing some Colors earlier (because I now have a Wii U) and it's really vibrant and colorful yet it's not as "cartoony" as SLW. I don't like the flat colors, hard lighting and the "cartoony effects"; like the POWs, the white clouds that appear at Sonic's feet, and the stars that appear. Those effects just seem over-the-top; added in to make the game look less flat but end up just looking out-of-place as a result (I actually think they might look better if the rest of the game looked more... busy). I'm sure Sonic Team (especially if they have Nintendo's help, as they know the system better than anyone) could get a better-looking game to run well on the Wii U. They had established a style for Sonic over 3 games and now they're just throwing it all away.

Edited by Frogging101

I kind of feel for the fans of the Adventure era who actually liked Sonic during the "dark age" and want to continue playing platformers like that, because they really aren't being produced outside of maybe Jak & Daxter. Most of the mainstream platformers are more cartoony and vibrant. I dig it, but I understand why some want games that play like their favorite Sonic titles.

It'd be cool if Sega would green light a spinoff title sometime with an Adventure 2 plot and multiple playables, at least to throw them a bone. Make someone else the lead character and declare it non a main series game(so people don't complain) and then release games like this for the rest of us. I'd actually buy both games, I dig the Adventure era too.

I've never fully understood why, but there's something about Adventure 2 which always really captured me somehow. It's funny because it possesses a lot of the things people hate about the series, but I never minded many of those things. I liked the tone of the story, I liked Robotnik's attitude, learning more about his background and playing as him, the divulging gameplay styles were fun and added variety whilst also giving Sonic's friend more distinction without making them into Sonic clones just with more abilities. It made them feel more of a team who each brought their own unique skills. I liked the thrill of the story and having such a big dynamic story with varying twists and turns, Sonic got a real threat in the form of his perfect rival, Tails got a rival in Eggman, and Knuckles got something besides being the lonely guardian of the Master Emerald.

I'm not saying it was necessarily the best direction to take the series, but I liked that Sonic games felt very unique and distinctive back then even if it included a darker and more threatening tone. Sonic has an attitude and I like his story and world reflecting that. Also Sonic being painted as a villain and having to clear his name is surprisingly more interesting in retrospect given the more recent STCO storylines...

• Thumbs Up 4

I've never fully understood why, but there's something about Adventure 2 which always really captured me somehow. It's funny because it possesses a lot of the things people hate about the series, but I never minded many of those things. I liked the tone of the story, I liked Robotnik's attitude, learning more about his background and playing as him, the divulging gameplay styles were fun and added variety whilst also giving Sonic's friend more distinction without making them into Sonic clones just with more abilities. It made them feel more of a team who each brought their own unique skills. I liked the thrill of the story and having such a big dynamic story with varying twists and turns, Sonic got a real threat in the form of his perfect rival, Tails got a rival in Eggman, and Knuckles got something besides being the lonely guardian of the Master Emerald.

I'm not saying it was necessarily the best direction to take the series, but I liked that Sonic games felt very unique and distinctive back then even if it included a darker and more threatening tone. Sonic has an attitude and I like his story and world reflecting that. Also Sonic being painted as a villain and having to clear his name is surprisingly more interesting in retrospect given the more recent STCO storylines...

I agree, I really liked how everyone kind of had their own ways of doing things and how well there respective gameplay's worked (knuckles and rouge being the exception in Adventure 2 but I liked it in the first one) which is the main reason why I liked heroes' gameplay a lot because while it may not have been perfect, it was still a pretty fun mechanic and it would be nice if sega could go back and mess with it a bit and implement it into the current gameplay style.

Sonic Lost World Nintendo 3DS Trailer  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9ILhhDONA

• Thumbs Up 5

Outside of Wind Hill, this game is actually really nicer to look at than I thought. I thought the cartoony thing would be all like Wind Hill, all overly flat, but it doesn't seem so bad in the others, the honeycomb stage looks really nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

ss8.jpg

"Hello, I'm fucking adorable. And you are?"

Seriously, this screen made me smile. x3 And the colors of the stage great; not too overwhelming and guady, but not so underplayed or washed out as to feel dull. Good.

With all of those screenshots bundled together, I got really confused for a second when they started getting into Company of Heroes.

The honeycomb level is my favourite, visually. Something about the yellow-greens and light browns gives it a really cozy sort of aesthetic, a nice contrast with the gotta-go-fast nature of the actual level.

Are the bird and butterfly badniks in that level new? At first I thought the birds might be Balkiry from Sonic 2, but they really don't look much alike.