Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

I still like the artstyle. I admit I prefer the Unleashed/Colours/Gens artstyle but I still like this art for what it is, and I know it has a purpose for being this way: smoother gameplay with less framerate issues. 

Admittedly I'm not sure about this but I think with current day technologies and WiiU being more powerful than Ps3 it is entirely possible to render unleashed-level graphics and keep fast gameplay without sacrificing the framerate.

To me the only reason SEGA did that is to please Nintendo and follow something that's in the contract.

...or because they still have this incredibly stupid mindset that Sonic can't be any more serious that what we saw in previous two games *shrugs*.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Admittedly, Sega may be trying to buy into the overall popularity of the Galaxy games by making a Sonic game on a Nintendo system that gives off a similar style. Considering how well received the Galaxy games were that's not an entirely bad idea.

Admittedly, Sega may be trying to buy into the overall popularity of the Galaxy games by making a Sonic game on a Nintendo system that gives off a similar style. Considering how well received the Galaxy games were that's not an entirely bad idea.

Sonic and Mario have a very, very similar market. Go figure- they share a chart-topping series aimed at the casual gamer.

Admittedly I'm not sure about this but I think with current day technologies and WiiU being more powerful than Ps3 it is entirely possible to render unleashed-level graphics and keep fast gameplay without sacrificing the framerate.

To me the only reason SEGA did that is to please Nintendo and follow something that's in the contract.

...or because they still have this incredibly stupid mindset that Sonic can't be any more serious that what we saw in previous two games *shrugs*.

What does this even mean?

You know considering that the 3rd exclusive game is not coming out this year, I suspect they are pulling a Colors/Generations where this game will come out this year and the Generations team will show off their game next year. This makes me wonder....will they keep the parkour and style for the next game or will they change it around completely. Or would they go back to the style of Generations.

I wouldn't doubt it if after both games are done that both teams will start working on the 25th anniversary title which will be for pretty much all systems. It would make a lot of sense in context really, giving about 3 years of dev time for the game with both teams.

Edited by LordMetallix

Doesn't matter what people did to the picture. Fact is that it looked bad. Generations seriously suffered from lack of AA and low res textures.

I agree, I just brought it up because now people are acting as if Generations had tons of detail when it actually was much simpler compared to Unleashed.

Personally, I'm okay with either graphical approach. It really doesn't matter to me all that much.

• Thumbs Up 3

We also have to take into account this is the FIRST STAGE. I'm gonna wait until we see at least two more worlds before I put my final judgment on the visuals.

One more game and I'm nominating "IT'S THE FIRST STAGE" as the new Sonic Cycle.

This was bothersome when Generations was in development, and it's annoying now. Come on, now. Let people make some judgements on what we've been shown without blatantly yelling at them to be patient, alright? The same could be said about having a positive reaction; maybe the first level looks lovely and the rest are putrid abominations.

It's a silly argument.

• Thumbs Up 9

One more game and I'm nominating "IT'S THE FIRST STAGE" as the new Sonic Cycle.   This was bothersome when Generations was in development, and it's annoying now. Come on, now. Let people make some judgements on what we've been shown without blatantly yelling at them to be patient, alright? The same could be said about having a positive reaction; maybe the first level looks lovely and the rest are putrid abominations.   It's a silly argument.
First of all, I wasn't implying that you can't make any judgment just because its the first stage. I meant, you shouldn't claim the graphics to be entire shit,kiddy,godly,etc. just from seeing parts from one level. Second, I wasn't yelling at him. I was just trying to make aware that basing your entire view and opinion on the graphics because of this one stage seems a bit ridiculous.

I see no problem with making a judgement of the aesthetics of a game just because we've only seen the first level. We're undoubtedly going to have different levels and thus different locations and feels, but I think it's safe to say most if not all of the game will carry universal characteristics due to them sharing an overall art style- hard lighting, flat color, use of blatant geometric shapes for things like foliage and rocks, saturated colors where necessary, etc. Sega isn't going to significantly vary these things throughout the game because it would both break consistency and cost more money, so to say I can't make a definitive statement on what the art style is at this point strikes me as needing to wait to see everything to make a value judgement, which is unnecessary.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well that is just you then I guess. I'm still waiting until I see at least one more stage because I want to see how this art style can be applie to different locations. It looks good yes, but I'm still curious and lenient at the moment.

Well, how they apply the art style established to other locations is an interesting thought for discussion, but we already have some huge, glaring clues as to how it will be applied as a result of the first screenshots, which is my point. The locations don't define the style, but rather the style defines the locations; as a result, it is not necessarily jumping the gun to say this game in general has a "kiddy" art style.

Well, how they apply the art style established to other locations is an interesting thought for discussion, but we already have some huge, glaring clues as to how it will be applied as a result of the first screenshots, which is my point. The locations don't define the style, but rather the style defines the locations; as a result, it is not necessarily jumping the gun to say this game in general has a "kiddy" art style.
I'm already aware of the kiddy style though. More or less I'm talking about just my overall thoughts on the the entire look. I love what I've seen so far, but I want to see some more personally. Is that so bad?

Of course not. I'm mainly discussing your claim that one cannot say what the style is until they've seen more than one stage. My stance is that that isn't true: the style is going to be a universal thing across the game, so we already have a general idea on what it is. We don't know what the rest of the stages will look like exactly, and finding out will be fun, but I bet my avatar none of the stages will represent such a severe deviation in style that no one can make a value judgement on it now.

One could even argue that if we can't predict the style from these shots, it's a bad sign. If they're going simple kids' show, at least be consistent :P

Why does it seem like some people against this look feel this'll be permanent or dictated by Nintendo? Or that every stage in this game will be just as simplistic in visuals?

The Sonic series has been even more visually inconsistent than Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series, so I don't see why they can't take advantage of that inconsistency and craft new worlds and then go back to having more detail in later titles or even later levels of Lost World.

Remember, this is Level fucking ONE! Before Sonic 3 & Knuckles, level ones like Green and Emerald Hill Zone were practically the simplest looking stages as far as detail went before they grew progressively more detailed in later levels.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Artstyle in particular is definitely something you can judge, even with things like the first level, assuming it's consistent of course. The tropes themselves may be different, but the style of the visuals should be very similar.

• Thumbs Up 1

At this point I couldn't care less about how serious or edgy the story is as long as it's at least more than barebones. I forsee another Generations level of storytelling though.

Oh yeah because Sega has never made any cartoony games before this deal right?:rolleyes: And of course Nintendo only makes cartoony games. It's not like these games exist: metroid-prime-trilogy.jpg

Well, according to Other M and Sakamoto...

*gunned down*

Edited by King Sombrero

To keep the doing the visuals in the way of Unleashed and Generations is a huge drain on resources, both within the system running the game and the cost of development. I doubt the Wii U could perform much better than the PS3 of 360 with the same kind of graphics.

Or they could make the game look just a BIT more simple in visuals making it easier to run at 60 fps. Instead, they butchered pretty much everything leaving some checkered blocks and triangles for grass. Yeah. Now the game MUST run at 60 fps.

And you doubt that WiiU can do much better than Ps3. Make your comment look just as mine - a speculation. So why use that as an argument?

How about no. It's because SEGA have created a new image for Sonic, and they're finally moving forward in a way that most people enjoy.
Oh yeah because Sega has never made any cartoony games before this deal right?rolleyes.gif

Your point? SLW still resembles Mario Galaxy the most. Not Metroid, not Zelda. The so-called "NEW" Sonic looks like "OLD" Mario from 2007. Pfffff.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are you seriously still on SEGA aping Nintendo due to some sort of freakin' conspiracy? Considering the way the series has been moving in the past few years, this style isn't out of left field at all, and really, it's trying to ape the strange yet simplistic look of the Sonic 1, 2, and CD era. They're APING THEMSELVES. Were they copying Mario's style back then too? No one seemed to think so. Mario doesn't have a monopoly on the surreal.

Edited by Super Mario
  • Thumbs Up 1

Conspiracy? Nah. More like bounds of contract.

Considering the way the series has been moving in the past few years, this style isn't out of left field at all

Colors was that game. I'd never expect something like this abomination after Unleashed-era games. In no way it's something I'd expect to appear in the series.

the strange yet simplistic look of the Sonic 1, 2, and CD era. They're APING THEMSELVES.

Bullshit. Classic games were never this simplistic in design and this cartoony to the point I can't help but see too much childishness in it. NEVER did a Sonic game have this kind of childish and simplistic overkill.

I wish I still had that optimistic feeling about the story like some of you do, but I can only see another failure like in Colors and Generations.

Another problem with this new style is that now it'll be incredibly hard if not impossible to include such amazing things and characters in the games.

Dez2finalboss.pngMetal_Sonic_Kai.png054sonic.jpg

Dx_perfect.jpg

Dark_Gaia_going_for_the_kill.png

Team_dark_sh2.png

because it's too serious, dark and angsty for poor little children

I really hope this new style is only for SLW and then they'll bring back the one from Unleashed (aside from Humans, of course).

I wonder how they could make these levels in the games like All stars racing or M&S. Speaking of the latter, if there would be levels from SLW and some Mario game, people who are not into the series will no be able to tell which level is from which series and that's what was always making Sonic games stand out. You could always differenciate them from Mario.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2