Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

28021soniclostworldwiiuscreenshots720p12

This particular screen really has me intrigued about this kick attack that Sonic has. Is it the homing attack with a different animation or an entirely new move?

Edited by TheCakeMiester

While I easily prefer the approach to "classic" greenhill type affairs in the Generations/Unleashed style, Im hoping that Lost Worlds will look epic in motion.

The new style looks too simple, almost more lower production values than intentionally cartoony.

8462_10152822750655316_1464469212_n.jpg

However having played Generations on both PC and console, the PC version won as I could play it at 60fps. THIS is how Sonic should be played, going back to consoles it just feels sluggish and doesnt do a game where you "gotta go fast" justice. If this new design approach is also an attempt to make it run better on Wii U and increase framerate... then I'm onboard 100%.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dammit, I missed the debate...anyway. Artstyle is not indicative of tone at all, a cartoony game can be dark as hell. So saying "WAHH, KIDDY GAMES CAN'T BE SRS" is just ignorant. Its like nobody has ever watched a classic Disney movie. Bambi's mother, Mufasa, death onscreen is supposedly "kiddy" movies, but you're going to try and tell me that because something looks kiddy that it can never be "dark" or "epic? Bullshit.

Another point I want to make; why does everything need to be "epic" or "kewl"? The series makes a few games that are darker than the norm and suddenly every game has to go that direction or its bad because...? Its utter bullshit. Its not 2001, its 2013 times have changed. Move on and stop trying to cling to something that's been played out for over ten years.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just want to say one thing, about the ability of cartoony, Mario-like games to be "epic".

If you don't think this shit is epic from start to finish, you don't know what the word means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJYz-Zjvss

3D Land had an even more epic final boss battle.

As epic as VS Bowser from planet to planet in space? I don't think so. 

3D Land's is pretty good, but Galaxy has the full package, epic cutscenes included.

• Thumbs Up 2

3D Land's is pretty good, but Galaxy has the full package, epic cutscenes included.

Too bad it all went down the drain with Galaxy 2, but whatever.

I don't know, there are game series that do get by on pushing large-scale conflict and feelings of being epic on a regular basis. Zelda, Call of Duty, Uncharted; completely different games in tone and genre, all of them great series in their own right, with few if any titles that shy away on feeling "big" or "adventurous" or "epic," as it were. There's nothing wrong with games featuring small-scale conflict or even little to no story at all. Most platformers I play are in this vain, like the new Rayman games or Behemoth's stuff. But the way Sonic does it has largely been boring. In fact, I'd argue there is actually a dissonance in the way the series has established itself with its themes, lore, characters, and conflicts with now pushing out stories where fuck all happens, just as there would be a dissonance with the series I named if they completely eschewed their usual themes.

Example: When I play Call of Duty, I really don't want to have a game where it takes place in the training camp for most of the time with my buddies until we're called out to deal with a potential attack in the final hour, even though you could viably make a game of this work, based on the level design and characterization. In fact, it'd be funny as hell under the right developer, but as a Call of Duty title, that's not what I expect. Why? Because that isn't what Call of Duty is about. It is about conflict involving multiple countries, a few of which have the ability to cripple the US. Zelda is also like this on a regular basis with its main installments too: Link is thrust into adventure that sweeps the entire land, fighting demons and insanely powerful villains as ordained by the gods themselves. I don't care what Link's life is like under normal circumstances, or at least, I don't care enough to want Nintendo to base an entire main title around this idea. Sweeping the land, fighting demons and insanely powerful villains, and being ordained by gods seems just a teensy bit more interesting to base an entire game around to me.

Same with Sonic. Sonic isn't a small scale series to me. Eggman doesn't merely want a theme park so he can overcharge his customers ridiculously. He wants the entire sapient populous enslaved in this thing, and as power-mad as he is, he will go to extreme lengths to get that. And Eggman is usually crafty; on a good day, he'll be trying to stay ahead of Sonic, fighting him constantly, stealing Emeralds- those throwaway things that only have unlimited magical power- and relying on monsters he's drug from the grave to keep him at bay, all the while manufacturing robotic armadas of ridiculous proportions. All of this sometimes requires the assistance of a large group of heroic characters of different temperaments and abilities, characters who can butt heads themselves as their own goals potentially clash. With all of this generally established, why would I want any of this downplayed in the first place? Just the basic pieces of Sonic conflict is hella interesting stuff.

Overall, I don't see why it would be particularly controversial or wrong to assume Sonic cannot fit the bill as well, or that series that strive to be epic on a daily basis are unsustainable or get boring after awhile. Consistent fandoms and revenue disagree with that. And if nothing else, Black Ops 2, Skyward Sword, and Sonic Adventure have had a much more positive impact on my gaming life than Colors and Generations did, and the differences in scope were definitely a huge part of that.

• Thumbs Up 5

Looking at it a bit more, the geometry of some of the plants in the screen shots make me think of super paper Mario a bit.

tGqrqlZ.jpg

Has this been shared yet? Facebook exclusive from https://www.facebook.com/Sonic

I've not seen it before, but it's lovely! Damn, this game looks so very beautiful, and so very fun. So far, there isn't anything I'm skeptical about, it all looks good to me!

Sonic's heading right for a dash pad. Ruined forever....

Not really, but it is weird. Right to the left is seemingly another path or two that would be blazed by if the pad was actually hit. So, can parts of the level be approached in different ways, or are some parts really just convoluted wind-arounds? It's interesting to say the least.

So how about them screenshots.

We're now discussing a screenshot. :/

• Thumbs Up 4

so im guessing we are never touching any surface on earth, just on mini planets in the sky.

We're now discussing a screenshot. :/

Yea, so how bout that green cylinder...

Yea, so how bout that green cylinder...
What-Where-When-Who? You referring to the level, or... something else?

Why would they say "Which colour power do you think will be making a return" and not give us any hints in the screenshot...meh, we all know it's the Cyan Wisp anyway.

Also, why is that boost pad even there anyway? Its not like Sonic can't run towards the spring or anything...oh well, I'm not gonna cry myself to sleep about it.

Edited by KrazyBean

We already know a few returners, such as cyan, red, green and purple ones. They were in the press release.

I hope there are new Wisps, too. I assume there are, though.

Edited by MarcelloF

Sonic's heading right for a dash pad. Ruined forever....

Not really, but it is weird. Right to the left is seemingly another path or two that would be blazed by if the pad was actually hit. So, can parts of the level be approached in different ways, or are some parts really just convoluted wind-arounds? It's interesting to say the least.

I think there probably multiple ways to reach that part of the level. Maybe Sonic is simply going on the fastest one?

The Hedgehog Engine itself laughably outdated and unoptimised.

Citation needed.

Admittedly I'm not sure about this but I think with current day technologies and WiiU being more powerful than Ps3 it is entirely possible to render unleashed-level graphics and keep fast gameplay without sacrificing the framerate.

To me the only reason SEGA did that is to please Nintendo and follow something that's in the contract.

...or because they still have this incredibly stupid mindset that Sonic can't be any more serious that what we saw in previous two games *shrugs*.

-Without sacrificing 30 fps framerate-yes, but people want 60.

-It's hard for me to imagine how such stylistical letdown can be described in contract. "Sega, on its side, undertakes to provide Sonic a very lighthearted, nearly Mario-styled game"?

-Well, Iizuka was trying to make Knuckles solo game, but Sega didn't greenlighted it, so he's clearly not the person who determines the way of Sonic franchise these days.

I took you up on that, I just went out into the street out my front door and asked 10 people if varying ages which game the screen was from mario or Sonic (removed all the giveaways) and 10/10 said It was Sonic ( not saying 100% of people will but still)

What screenshot did you use?

Even SA2's theme, despite its surface-level cyncism

Excuse me?

If y'all don't mind, I'm gonna sidestep this... "argument," and talk about this screenshot for a bit:

742145full_zps39e7242f.jpg?t=1370424479

Ever since this shot popped, I've been wondering whether this is a screencap of a boss battle or a side mission. If it is a boss battle, then I'm hoping that there will be more boss battles than just that of the running type. On the other hand, if this is just a side mission, then it'd be pretty cool that the Deadly Six will actually directly interact with you in the levels themselves.

Also, what is the deal with that Tap-Tap looking thing "Waluigi" is carrying there? Is it supposed to be some sort of bomb that you're supposed to stop him from detonating?

I'd like to put here a decent pic from classic russian litherature about "demon stole the moon", but I can't find a decent one.

I'm not even the only one who thinks that way about the new direction. If on this forum are not enough people with the same way of thinking, that doesn't mean there are none.

http://raptr.com/LuizSoft/news/51a7bdb314f6d80a6c/im-the-only-who-dont-liked-sonic-lost-worlds-

Why the hell didn't you primarily post it on OUR forum?!

Because it's not. It sure looks a lot like Mario.

It's no way to argue like this.

You seem to have such a fixed idea of what Sonic is, I don't think you'll ever be pleased with anything new Sonic Team dishes out. Either accept that the franchise has changed from what you enjoy and will likely never be that way again (which sucks, cause as a fan I know you don't want to walk away) or try to appreciate the new direction.

Or you can make Sonic fangame...

Edited by crystallize