Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

I know I'm talking about Mario again but, what you just said fits perfectly into what I was trying to get at with the Shroobs and The Shadow Queen. It's a world filled with charming and sometimes not always menacing villains. However, then these things show up out of the blue and throw the entire established world into chaos, ESPECIALLY with the Shroobs. I really do get what you're saying, Doc Eggman, and I think the series could benefit from a little here and there. It even happened with Colors, and it was a brief respite that I remember a lot of people loving. It was just lovable old Eggman again, actually doing his thing rather than unleashing another Cthulhu wannabe.

• Thumbs Up 6

If y'all don't mind, I'm gonna sidestep this... "argument," and talk about this screenshot for a bit:

742145full_zps39e7242f.jpg?t=1370424479

Ever since this shot popped, I've been wondering whether this is a screencap of a boss battle or a side mission. If it is a boss battle, then I'm hoping that there will be more boss battles than just that of the running type. On the other hand, if this is just a side mission, then it'd be pretty cool that the Deadly Six will actually directly interact with you in the levels themselves.

Also, what is the deal with that Tap-Tap looking thing "Waluigi" is carrying there? Is it supposed to be some sort of bomb that you're supposed to stop him from detonating?

The item itself looks like an enormous, upside-down, cartoony head.  What's also interesting is that either it's very light or "Waluigi" is incredibly strong, which reveals a little bit about what makes the Deadly Six such formidable opponents, but that's by the by.  The head has a number of raised, detailed areas around the edge which we can't see very well, and it also has some kind of indentation in its mouth, as well as the edge of a further blue glow that resembles its eyes.  I'd say that it needs "plugging in" around its edges to activate, possibly generating something within its mouth.  It's also worth noting that we don't know if the Deadly Six member has stolen the item, or is its owner; in other words, we don't know whether the Deadly Six or Sonic want this item to actually be used.  It could be something to protect the landscape, or it could be part of a giant killer robot.  But from the design style, I'd say that it has similar origins to the Deadly Six rather than being related to Eggman or Sonic's world.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm not even the only one who thinks that way about the new direction. If on this forum are not enough people with the same way of thinking, that doesn't mean there are none.

http://raptr.com/LuizSoft/news/51a7bdb314f6d80a6c/im-the-only-who-dont-liked-sonic-lost-worlds-

And it's just an example. Sure, the majority seems to like the style but stop with this bullshit "Where U see Mario style in dis? It looks absolutely like a Sanik game, stop saying that nonsense!". Because it's not. It sure looks a lot like Mario. If you like that, that's fine. But I HATE that. And all my points come from my opinion that this new style just doesn't fit Sonic and deosn't LOOK like Sonic and prevents some serious stuff to really appear in that kind of setting or characters like those from team dark without screwing them making them complete idiots or jokes.

I truly think I've said everything I wanted and I'm not going to continue arguing over this for now.

Edited by ArtFenix

Sonic was NEVER supposed to be a childish franchise

I won't deny this, but in my opinion the franchise has had its share of sophomoric content. I don't even have to look farther than your very own post for an example:

Team_dark_sh2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure, the majority seems to like the style but stop with this bullshit "Where U see Mario style in dis? It looks absolutely like a Sanik game, stop saying that nonsense!". Because it's not. It sure looks a lot like Mario. If you like that, that's fine.

I think the general consensus in this thread has been that - yes - it does resemble Super Mario Galaxy, and - no - that's not a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

You should play a Kirby game sometime. Lovely, cheerful games that look bright, colourful and cartoony and OH GOD WHY IS THE FINAL BOSS A GIANT EYE THAT BLEEDS

Seriously, Sonic hasn't got shit on Kirby.

Or any of the Mother games, for that matter.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 8

Artfenix, you do realize the photos that you're picking and choosing are the last levels of Sonic games which usually tend to be the "serious business" moments as he's in the confines of Eggman's base fighting doomsday devices, right?

I mean, you're comparing that with the FIRST LEVEL of a most likely beta representation of a game you barely know anything about. Tell me when Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Angel island and etc looked as advanced, detailed and "shit's getting real" esque as Scrap Brain, Metropolis and Death Egg.

The point I'm trying to make is, Sonic game's first levels always tend to be the most simplest and can get very complex as they play out. Please tell me why this is any different. Lost World is not so left field like you're trying to make it out to be.

Why don't you bring these up?:

mqdefault.jpg

11121-Sonic3DBlastakaSonic3DFlickiesIsla

~Nope, let's just ignore Sonic's more simple aesthetic level design he has to offer from time to time.

Chip.png

~Nope, let's just show Dark Gaia's perfect form, arguably the most unfitting Sonic character in the series and completely ignore Chip's (and every NPC for that matter) cartoony designs that came from the same most "realistic" Sonic game to date.

~Nope, let's just ignore Sonic Heroes all together, a cartoony and cheesy game with a non existent story line coming straight after Sonic Adventure 2 but only fault Lost World after coming after Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

And all my points come from my opinion that this new style just doesn't fit Sonic and deosn't LOOK like Sonic and prevents some serious stuff to really appear in that kind of setting 

How are you so certain about this? It's one thing to dislike the art style (I otherwise couldn't care less about your opinion on the matter), but to make a claim like this is honestly rather silly. There's nothing in the new, more stylistic art style that inherently prevents them from introducing something like, say, Wind Waker's Earth Temple or, as previously stated, Paper Mario's Palace of Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

The earth temple freaked me out!

I don't think it's fair to assume the game can't be "epic" or have anything serious happen at all based on the first level, Wind Waker is an excellent example, the whole game is cel shaded and arguably the most cartoony Zelda to date, however there is some pretty serious shit going down.

If there isn't anything serious or "dark" happening it won't be because of the art style, it'll be because Sonic Team don't want to include it in the story

You should play a Kirby game sometime.

Played Mouse attack. Great game. Will enjoy playing it some time again. Sonic should never be like that.

Sigh.. Guess I'll have to reply a couple more times.

Tell me when Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Angel island and etc looked as advanced, detailed and "shit's getting real" esque as Scrap Brain, Metropolis and Death Egg.

You have a point. Still those are much more tedailed and less cartoony than SLW. Well, maybe aside from Music Plant but I never really liked it for the same reason.

Speaking about Chip. Sonic Unleashed is the game that started making Sonic series more and more cartoony. Do wonder there were already some very cartoony elements (humans that I hate and humor that I don't like either).

Edited by ArtFenix

Speaking about Chip. Sonic Unleashed is the game that started making Sonic series more and more cartoony. Do wonder there were already some very cartoony elements (humans that I hate and humor that I don't like either).

But regardless of your subjective preferences, you must admit - based on what you just said - that the series has already set a precedent for cartoony, humorous elements long before Lost World (Though, I would argue, before Unleashed as well).

Edited by Doc Eggman

I personally got into Sonic because of bright and crazy fantasy worlds that I could escape reality in. 

• Thumbs Up 9

But regardless of your subjective preferences, you must admit - based on what you just said - that the series has already set a precedent for cartoony, humorous elements long before Lost World (Though, I would argue, before Unleashed as well).

I'm not denying Sonic's cartoony roots. My issue with that is that in never was THIS cartoony and simplistic to the point where I personally don't really recognise the series anymore. It's overkill. Arguably more than making almost everything realistic in Sonic the ehdgehog 2006. (which wasn't that bad of an idea, in my humble opinion though I understand why people hate that).

BALANCE. Sonic 06 and SLW never hear of such a thing. The irony is that because of my preference to more realistic elements I like 06 style (mostly) but I hate this new one with passion. Unleashed style (aside from Humans and Chip) was middle ground and there were some of the most beautiful levels I've ever seen in the series.

Unless I see something more detailed and original, I won't change my opinion because this is just gross and shameful

sonic-lost-world-wind-hill.jpg

E.jpg

I swear any half-decent Sonic fan game maker can make a better job.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not denying Sonic's cartoony roots. My issue with that is that in never was THIS cartoony and simplistic to the point where I personally don't really recognise the series anymore. It's overkill. Arguably more than making almost everything realistic in Sonic the ehdgehog 2006. (which wasn't that bad of an idea, in my humble opinion though I understand why people hate that).

I don't understand. You somehow don't recognize Lost World, but nothing about Sonic Heroes after Sonic Adventure 2 comes to mind?

Edited by StriCNYN3

BALANCE. Sonic 06 and SLW never hear of such a thing. The irony is that because of my preference to more realistic elements I like 06 style (mostly) but I hate this new one with passion. Unless I see something more detailed and original, I won't change my opinion.

To be fair if you were to look at 06 and SLW in the opposite perspective of yours then I think that is what a lot if people feel (not trying to be a generalisation). They dislike the over realistic and feel that it isn't "sonic" and they like the SLW style and feel it fits, it's all a difference of opinion.

There have been other franchises that have done it too. Zelda from the fairly realistic OoT and MM to the fairly simplistic and cartoony WW was quite a big change (similar to this one)

I'll keep my post brief to save battery on my iPhone:

Wind Waker: Celshaded - Has the freakiest version of the Redead and a Ganon Boss where Ganondorf appears to break his fucking bones to turn himself into a creepy marionette thing.

Okami: Painting like - Has the spider queen. That's all I need to say.

MLP FiM: Let's see... A nightmarish demigoddess, an insane reality warper, a shapeshifter with emotion draining abilities and cocoons, and a mad king with the ability to manifest himself as a force of darkness.

Notice the trend? All cartoony and heavily colorful art styles, yet all have stuff that is not only pretty freaky and terrifying, but also tend to be very good at executing relatively dark and mature themes at the same time.

Now if you talk about the immaturity of the Sonic stories in general, barring one or two moments, then I might see your point.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Guys. GUYS? I used the word "BALANCE". Neither 06 nor SLW have that. One can prefer whatever the hell they want but I'm just on the other side of the barricades. However, we could still have something that we both can tolerate and that was generations style. That's middle ground. But no. One side of the fandom is WRONG, let's make a game that shows them a middle finger and please the other side!

Sonic was always evolving, becoming so much more than some cartoony character who fights an evil man! Over the last 20 years the series was constantly evolving. Some experiments were successful, some were failures but the series never degraded to something that should stay in 1990. With today's technologies and results of evolution of the series, I expected something more from the new game than just "Here, this is another reiteration of Green Hill you all love! Now 100% less detailed and more simplistic even than the original game that came about two decades ago on a 16 bit console!"

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Or they could make the game look just a BIT more simple in visuals making it easier to run at 60 fps. Instead, they butchered pretty much everything leaving some checkered blocks and triangles for grass. Yeah. Now the game MUST run at 60 fps. And you doubt that WiiU can do much better than Ps3. Make your comment look just as mine - a speculation. So why use that as an argument?

This talk about SLW running at 60fps is all guesswork. People want it to, but I don't think many actually expect it to. And like I said, the thing about Lost World is that is looks markedly different to past Sonic games. It's something that SEGA have clearly considered.

My speculation is, at the very least, based on some degree of evidence. Very few graphically intensive games run above 30fps on anything but high-end PCs. Lost World is so simple visually primarily cause it's cheaper and easier. I don't care what you want to say about "oh it could just be a little less intensive that Unleashed/Generations", that would hardly make a different to the time and money that has to go into it. And then you have to remember that in doing that the game would look objectively worse than past ones. Nobody wants that.

Your point? SLW still resembles Mario Galaxy the most. Not Metroid, not Zelda. The so-called "NEW" Sonic looks like "OLD" Mario from 2007. Pfffff.

It's still new Sonic.

I do agree with your points about even the classic games being more detailed than this. Arguing otherwise is silly, cause their goal was always to have as sophisticated graphics as was possible with the hardware at the time. I don't get why it's bad that things are cartoonier now though, or why it's bad if a Sonic game shares some traits with Mario.

You seem to have such a fixed idea of what Sonic is, I don't think you'll ever be pleased with anything new Sonic Team dishes out. Either accept that the franchise has changed from what you enjoy and will likely never be that way again (which sucks, cause as a fan I know you don't want to walk away) or try to appreciate the new direction.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well we could just wait and see, the artstyle for 06 only lasted one game so lets wait and see how Sonic Team use this artstyle, it may stay for a long time, for an era ( modern) or just for one game (06)

We can all praise and hate the art style as much as we want until our faces are blue, it won't change anything about the way the game looks.

I'm dropping the subject now, I'm more interested in the multiplayer, how will it work? We haven't seen a really good multiplayer since SA2(B )

Edited by Jolt_TH

Y'know, they don't HAVE to appeal to the fanbase if they don't want to.

Let them try new things. I just want a good Sonic game out of it..

Edited by Yоshi

You know, even if it does take a few things from Mario Galaxy, could you really blame them? Mario Galaxy is one of the most popular platformers of the entire generation. What platform game developer wouldn't take a few ques from it? Developers learn from eachother all the time.

I think it's precisely because the new art style is so different that I'm okay with the first level being a particularly flagrant Green Hill rip-off.  If the art style was the same old, reusing old level designs would seem like lazy recycling, but here I think old levels are being used to ease us into the new art style rather than throwing us into something as unrecognisable as the Deadly Six.  Here's hoping that future levels, especially the presumably as-yet-unknown final level, stand more on their own two feet once we've been braced for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think the aesthetic is slightly too blocky and simplistic, and while I prefer Generations, this doesn't look necessarily bad or "unsonicy" or anything. I think a middle ground would have been good, but ah well. I have more problem with the "highway in the sky" design in terms of aesthetics rather than the actual cartooniness.

Though if we had something like Crisis City again, it would probably clash, but levels like that are the minority anyway. Generations made it work thanks to the vibrancy though.

Then again, people complained about Colours looking "like a Mario game" even though it was basically the same style as Unleashed minus the Hedgehog Engine and plus the colourful cartoony elements.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I'm not even the only one who thinks that way about the new direction. If on this forum are not enough people with the same way of thinking, that doesn't mean there are none.

http://raptr.com/LuizSoft/news/51a7bdb314f6d80a6c/im-the-only-who-dont-liked-sonic-lost-worlds-

I'm not afraid to voice my opinion. I agree with you that the new art direction in this game is iffy. However, the reason why I didn't say anything in the first place because personally I don't see that much of a big deal. It's simplistic, but I still think it's pretty to look at.

And I'm a fan of how Mario Galaxy looks like. If you ask me, the vibrant colors pop out much more in this game then Unleashed/Generations could have ever done. It's new, it's fresh, it looks fun, give it a go.

When I play games yes the graphics can be nice to look at, but at the end of the day I just want to enjoy the game from start to finish. The gameplay is certainly more important than "graphics" and that's what I'm trying to look at right now.

What stopped me from supporting you though, is that you sounded a bit arrogant and saying that this game as a childish-looking game, implying it's only for little kids. You know what's funny, even if this is childish yet I'm going to enjoy this freaking game to bits so what? If they are copying Galaxy's art style? So what? It's not like Galaxy's art style is terrible! That's why I'm pissed off that I can't get this game because I don't have the console.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy
  • Thumbs Up 3