Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Debut Trailer

Carbo

I never said anything before but really, am I the only one who doesn't notice THAT much a difference between LW and games like Colors/Gens? Sure you could make a bunch of technical comparisons to why they are different, but honestly I don't think it's THAT different, it's fine, love it either way.

• Thumbs Up 2

I will pray to God it's just a Nintendo thing and is not permanent.

I think this is the first time I've ever posted this but, I kinda share the same sentiment as ArtFenix here.

Well, we'll see whether or not this art style is here to stay or not in a couple years.

Are you asking for this series to be consistent for once?

Yeah, ever since that little stunt they pulled tying Colors to Generations I do kind of expect them to stay consistent now. Remember we had in-team development writers before Colors so it wasn't really expected to have consistency. but now since we got 2 new-ish writers they already tied 2 games together. is it not expected that they might do it again?...

They won't.

The Robotnik in Lost World is actually the seventh guardian in disguise and not the real one.

Robotnik never left white space.

That would be seriously interesting and I would like a twist like that.

Hell if Sonic story wise could get on par with Pitar's magic. I be one happy Sonic fan!

Imagine a Sonic game with the same amount of epic as The Incredibles...be all kinds of crazy awesome.

Screw just having Pixar. Get the magic of that and the guys who worked on Kung Fu Panda's 1 & 2 with it's combination of slapstick and tension, and you have a potential for a story that'll blow away every narrative this series has had. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Colour me hyped!

Is it just me but is some of this twisty turny gameplay almost like a 3D mobius strip (from Emerald Hill Zone)?!

Loving the nostalgy references like the small animals and retro badniks, but the Six look a bit... unique. :D One of them looks like a mutated Homestar Runner's Pom Pom!

The idea of Eggman teaming up with them sounds like a red herring to me! Perhaps the red herring?! :B

but the Six look a bit... unique. biggrin.png One of them looks like a mutated Homestar Runner's Pom Pom!

I forget who said this and where I heard it, but the Six do look like the hopped out a time portal from the Dreamcast era.

Alright so to be totally honest, what bugs me is the small-strip-of-land-suspended-in-the-sky this has going on, with a whole of blank canvas out there looking vast yet unexplorable.

The different in previous recent games that although the paths are rather linear at least you're in a dense looking area. Eh minor gripe. Also I'm unsure how I'll get on with the controls.

Otherwise art style is delicious although I'm not fully convinced on the cartoony villains yet although I see the Sonic 1 conceptual simularities.

I'm neutral to the artstyle. I don't think its necessarily better than what we got in Generations, but I don't think its worse than it either.  Its definitely been simplified, and does borrow heavily from Mario but since its adding elements unique to the series(Springs, dash pads, Wisp, in addition to all of Sonic's new moves) I don't really get the complaint that "Its a Mario Clone" Mario has none of that shit I mentioned. Being a clone implies that its an exact copy of the original. The comparisons are really superficial and I don't feel that complaint holds any water unless you just hate Mario.

Same thing with the Pixar complaint about The Deadly Six; they're similar sure, but I don't know why that alone means its "ripping them off" Unless the plot plays out exactly like a Pixar movie(which it sadly  won't) then its not ripping anything off. Borrowing elements from other franchises is really nothing new.

I can understand the complaints about the backgrounds and stages being simplified and the designs of the Deadly Six being somewhat out there for the series` general artstyle, but being a "Mario/Pixar" clone never sat well with me.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'd agree. Something being clearly influenced by something else doesn't make it a clone, and there's been several shifts in style between the games in the past anyway.

The art style is very remnant of the Sega Saturn/early Dreamcast era.

405-Sonic_3D_Blast_(U)-9.jpg

406-Sonic_Jam_(U)-1.jpg

sonic+R+race.jpg

SA_Windy_Valley_Beta_1.png

Very vibrant colors, simplistic geometrical shapes for backgrounds and objects, very high emphasis on classic elements. Although you can tell there's a good bit of detail put into textures compared to the more simplistic style going nowadays, you can tell its to make up for the low-poly look of everything, compared to nowadays where all of the detail is in the high poly-ness.

It also really reminds me of Sonic CD in how the level design is really surreal and takes place on a very geometrical planet. So that adds to all of it.

So yeah, I'd say its not "un-Sonicy" at all, and definitely not too Nintendo-y. It screams Saturn era to me, and I thought that was one of the most defining parts of the Segasonic feel. It definitely feels like Sonic. Just not the more 'realistic' Sonic. I'd personally prefer one day to see big environments and heavy detail again like how we used to get, but the cartooniness and vibrancy levels are exactly what I want from Sonic from now on. Its beautiful.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm far less concerned with the aesthetic changes and more so interested in how well these parkour and multi-tiered speed systems hold up. They're amazing in theory and already look pretty sound in the gameplay footage we have, but I need to see more than just Green Hill Galaxy to really get a good idea of how well everything works together.

There's also, of course, actually playing the game for myself. I'm wondering if Wisps are still boring as hell too.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 8

I can understand being shocked by the new direction. Such a simple style is a massive change for Sonic when it's always tried to be as detailed as possible. It makes sense to scale the visuals back a bit so they can achieve more with the gameplay, but I'd rather it wasn't quite to this extent myself. Still, we don't even know if this is a new direction that all Sonic games in the near future will follow or if it's just for Nintendo exclusives.

I hope the main thing that stays from all of this is the tiered speed and gameplay mechanics. The only thing I'm iffy about is the EXTREMELY unrealistic levels and how you're floating around on tubes.

I LOVE the new gameplay ideas, I just.... I hope future games have more traditional level designs.

Same for Mario galaxy. I loved those games, but I long for a new Mario game back at the castle, and not just floating arcadey levels that are PURELY for gameplay mechanics, and not following any organic theme like actually going into peaches castle and trying to save her or exploring the different parts of delhpino islands. 

Not that dedicating a game to fun is bad, but it's even better when the designers can make an organic theme WORK with levels that are purely fun. Giving off the illusion of being a real place and actually PLAYING like a perfect level for the gameplay is always more fun, if you ask me.

But that being said, I can look past it in this game. Mainly because this "lost world" is just weird and new. So these weird levels could be justified, and show off some kind of consistency with the theme and design. However, I can't see them making tons of Lost World sequels... so it will be interesting to see where they take this idea. 

Edited by chirf

I'm far less concerned with the aesthetic changes and more so interested in how well these parkour and multi-tiered speed systems hold up. They're amazing in theory and already look pretty sound in the gameplay footage we have, but I need to see more than just Green Hill Galaxy to really get a good idea of how well everything works together.

There's also, of course, actually playing the game for myself. I'm wondering if Wisps are still boring as hell too.

This, except for the most part I thought the Wisps in Colours were pretty fun. But now they're relegated to the GamePad, it could go one way or the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do the Wisps have to be restricted to the GamePad exactly? That just gives me more concern that they haven't been changed heavily at all or they've possibly been made even worse by becoming even more of a gimmick.

Off TV play is really cool (It's my favorite thing about the Wii U) but otherwise I'd love for the ability to play the game exclusively with the Wii U Pro controller.

Edited by Chooch

Eh I guess they have to sell us on the Wii U exclusivity in some way and I suppose restricting some motions to touch controls seems to be the way they went about doing it. Controls are really the big thing here, not sure if I can be excited until I know how it's going to play.

Eh I guess they have to sell us on the Wii U exclusivity in some way and I suppose restricting some motions to touch controls seems to be the way they went about doing it. Controls are really the big thing here, not sure if I can be excited until I know how it's going to play.

Well there's the Best Buy demos floating around during E3 period.

The art style is very remnant of the Sega Saturn/early Dreamcast era.

405-Sonic_3D_Blast_(U)-9.jpg

406-Sonic_Jam_(U)-1.jpg

sonic+R+race.jpg

SA_Windy_Valley_Beta_1.png

Very vibrant colors, simplistic geometrical shapes for backgrounds and objects, very high emphasis on classic elements. Although you can tell there's a good bit of detail put into textures compared to the more simplistic style going nowadays, you can tell its to make up for the low-poly look of everything, compared to nowadays where all of the detail is in the high poly-ness.

It also really reminds me of Sonic CD in how the level design is really surreal and takes place on a very geometrical planet. So that adds to all of it.

So yeah, I'd say its not "un-Sonicy" at all, and definitely not too Nintendo-y. It screams Saturn era to me, and I thought that was one of the most defining parts of the Segasonic feel. It definitely feels like Sonic. Just not the more 'realistic' Sonic. I'd personally prefer one day to see big environments and heavy detail again like how we used to get, but the cartooniness and vibrancy levels are exactly what I want from Sonic from now on. Its beautiful.

I'd agree. The only thing it misses are the more prominent shading found in sonic games. Sonic lost worlds misses that a little bit, hence why it looks like mario with the softer shades. I'm fine either way personally.

It's the closest sonic has gone back to his essence since a long time in a console/canon 3d game.  The closer the better. I feel like this game has taken a lot of inspiration from sonic's past. From the more striking things like the super peel out, badniks and the overall vibrant colors to the more subtle things like the spindash activating at his fastest speed similarly to the classics and the OVA. All of it is such a treat to me and I cant wait to see it being played so we can see more gameplay and how sonic's movement is when he is not running at full speed.

Edited by Djawed
  • Thumbs Up 2

In the US and Canada so far. But that's not guaranteeing Sonic will even be there. 

Too bad I'd have to travel overseas to play it! It's the whole trigger thing that's got me confuzzled.

Too bad I'd have to travel overseas to play it! It's the whole trigger thing that's got me confuzzled.

I assumed you lived in the USA, sorry 'bout that :/ The trigger thing in regards to what? Sprinting?

I assumed you lived in the USA, sorry 'bout that :/ The trigger thing in regards to what? Sprinting?

Yeah it's something different. Like with Unleashed I'm unsure whether it'll be fun to control. Wait and see  I guess. Also it's cool, with a name like this I could be anywhere in the world :P.

Yeah it's something different. Like with Unleashed I'm unsure whether it'll be fun to control. Wait and see  I guess. Also it's cool, with a name like this I could be anywhere in the world tongue.png.

I assume it's like the Werehog (in Unleashed HD at least) in the sense that, you can get up to a jog/slow-run without the trigger, then hold the trigger and you sprint full speed.

Why do the Wisps have to be restricted to the GamePad exactly? That just gives me more concern that they haven't been changed heavily at all or they've possibly been made even worse by becoming even more of a gimmick.

Off TV play is really cool (It's my favorite thing about the Wii U) but otherwise I'd love for the ability to play the game exclusively with the Wii U Pro controller.

SonicTeam havebeen pretty good with controller options in the past, with Colours and Unleashed Wii offering set ups for every type of controller. Don't count it out just yet.

• Thumbs Up 2