Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Debut Trailer

Carbo

It's a fucking video game guys.Let's not make this into a bigger issue than it has to be. Seriously sick of coming into this forum and seeing drama everywhere.
If there is any drama in here right now then it is entirely my fault. I'm sorry.

So now I'm just going to state my personal opinion on the aesthetics. 

I'm...eh. On the one hand, I don't really think the graphics harken back to classic Sonic at all. They always felt more detailed and refined, as opposed to this style which is just out and out simplified with some distinctly stylised detailing. 

On the other hand, I can appreciate the fact that they've chosen to go with a pretty heavily stylised art direction. While I do prefer the lush environments of Unleashed and Generations, I can take this. 

If the trade off for less prettier graphics is better gameplay and potentially more levels, then that's one I can easily accept.

I've never needed my games to wow me, but I'm always happy when they do. As long as everything looks okay and I can see what I'm doing and where I'm going then the rest, as they say, is gravy.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not asking for everyone to agree with each other because not everyone is going to like the direction that this game is going, but I'm just going to have to redirect everyone to that pinned topic, which still applies here.

but ppl have been on topic i don't understand what your upset about

If the trade off for less prettier graphics is better gameplay and potentially more levels, then that's one I can easily accept.

Hmm that's what I'm thinking when looking at the kind of moveset this game seems to have. There's a lot of stuff going on at once so perhaps having pretty graphics isn't the priority. That and... exactly how powerful is the WiiU? Could it handle super fast, super intricate gameplay as shown here and nice detailed graphics?

On the second viewing, some of the moves like the wallrunning and jumping look pretty neat but I'm not so sure about the block climbing. I'm happy to see Sonic jump up to blocks rather than scramble up them, it might cause a few interruptions during an otherwise speedy play style.

Hmm that's what I'm thinking when looking at the kind of moveset this game seems to have. There's a lot of stuff going on at once so perhaps having pretty graphics isn't the priority. That and... exactly how powerful is the WiiU? Could it handle super fast, super intricate gameplay as shown here and nice detailed graphics?

On the second viewing, some of the moves like the wallrunning and jumping look pretty neat but I'm not so sure about the block climbing. I'm happy to see Sonic jump up to blocks rather than scramble up them, it might cause a few interruptions during an otherwise speedy play style.

Don't overestimate the power of the dark side of the WiiU. It's more powerful than Ps3 or xbox360 so running a game with graphics like in Unleashed without frame drops should not be a problem for it.

The way I see it, they dumbed down the graphics JUST because of the new style and art direction (this oversimplified style). Frame rate is not the reason, at least not the main one, especially since they dumbed down the graphics this much and speed in sure not so fast as it was in Unleashed/Generations. I'm convinced it's not because of the frame rate.

but ppl have been on topic i don't understand what your upset about
Sean was specifically addressing forum drama in the post you quoted, which is not the same as being off topic.

The Wii U's CPU is its only really questionable aspect, and that's because it has a GPGPU designed to take up much of the slack that the CPU normally would. The issue we have is a generation of games whose engines were built to take advantage of the 360/PS3's CPU's while the Wii U puts most of those functions on the GPU instead. I think that the Wii U's CPU is out of order rather than in order like the 360/PS3's, so it should be more flexible, but a lot of this relies on the developer tweaking their engines to take advantage of all these new and different features.

Considering that the Wii, hardware built from overclocked 1999 technology could handle Colours the way it did with reasonable parity gameplay wise with Unleashed's Day Stages and Generations goes to show that it's the developer and the effort put in more than straight up specs.

Considering that the Wii U has at least double the usable RAM than the 360/PS3, which means that I'm pretty sure that the Wii U could handle better graphics, it's just if Sega are willing to invest time and money in developing better graphics/looking levels when their current focus is gameplay and levels that help them to explore and compliment this. Just consider that someone had to spend a lot of time designing the vast cityscape of Spagonia when much of it is just an empty visa that you may only see parts of for a fraction of a second; a pretty one, but pointless aside from aesthetics. It looks like Sega are instead focusing on what Nintendo often does; smaller, stylised levels, but perhaps much more of them and also more focus on improving gameplay and interaction over designing big impressive levels full of pointless areas and invisible walls.

At least this is all what I've been lead to believe.

I think that the block climbing to to help make Sonic feel more kinetic and allow movements to flow better. It actually makes me think of Skyward Sword almost immediately with how clumsy Link could be in previous games being negated by allowing him to run up walls and blocks to streamline the action. Sonic actually suits this style even more and it helps prevent touchy jumping and positioning.

• Thumbs Up 1

How much involvement does Nintendo has on Sonic Lost World? Cause from what I see from this partnership, Sonic Team is still in charge of development while Nintendo is going to help publish the games on their consoles..

Sean was specifically addressing forum drama in the post you quoted, which is not the same as being off topic.

so fourm drama is rule breaking?

I think the block climbing is what they mean when they spoke about stopping when you collide with obstacles, so if your holding the run button you'll just climb straight up and carry on instead of collide and stop, nothing to say you couldn't jump up if you wanted :P

so fourm drama is rule breaking?
Yes, as both per the board rules and the pinned topic in this forum.

This reveal trailer was awesome. I really like how the figure 8 move is back for his running animation and the fact the game-play looks different to other games is a nice change of pace. I do wonder how the color powers will fit into all this as well, but I will just have to go with speculation for the time being. And the stages I can't wait to see more of, and since it looks a lot like Sonic Xtreme, I wonder if some of them will be based of those that never got to see the TV.

I don't know if anybody mentioned it yet, but I just LOVE the way Sonic chuckles in this trailer. It just sounds so natural. When I think about it, I really grew to like Roger's voice as Sonic and I am curious to hear his performance in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if anybody mentioned it yet, but I just LOVE the way Sonic chuckles in this trailer. It just sounds so natural. When I think about it, I really grew to like Roger's voice as Sonic and I am curious to hear his performance in this game.

Heck I'm wondering how Travis Willingham will perform as Knuckles. Hopefully he'll say something more interesting than cracking fat jokes.

I wonder what Knuckles and Amy are going to be doing on this island.  It'd be cool to see all four of them on the Tornado...

I wonder what Knuckles and Amy are going to be doing on this island. It'd be cool to see all four of them on the Tornado...

It's gonna be cool to see the four of them on an adventure again period. And hopefully the writers won't play it to safe this time around and give us some interesting character interactions.

• Thumbs Up 3

I want Tails and Knuckles to have an actual conversation.

And maybe Tails and Amy.

Heck, Knuckles and Amy.

Seriously, those three actually acknowledging each other's existence. Please. That's all I ask.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder what Knuckles and Amy are going to be doing on this island.  It'd be cool to see all four of them on the Tornado...

Inb4 Amy is damsel in distress

I want Tails and Knuckles to have an actual conversation.

And maybe Tails and Amy.

Heck, Knuckles and Amy.

Seriously, those three actually acknowledging each other's existence. Please. That's all I ask.

ACKNAWLADGING EACH UDDAS EXEESTANCE!? THAT EEZ TOO DARK UND EDGEE! VEE MUST STAMP OUT EVERYTHING IN DA NAME OF LAIGHTHARTEDNESS AND HUEMAH!

On a serious note, yeah that would be nice for once, as long as acknowledgment isn't just the characters being Sonics cheerleaders like in Generations, or doing the excessively stupid stuff we have seen in Free Riders.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Inb4 Amy is damsel in distress

Only if she saves herself, like she sorta did in Adventure (admittedly with Gamma's help, and then Tails flew them off the Egg Carrier, but still :v) ... but sadly I don't see that happening, instead if she gets kidnapped it'll probably be played straight. Meh.

ACKNAWLADGING EACH UDDAS EXEESTANCE!? THAT EEZ TOO DARK UND EDGEE! VEE MUST STAMP OUT EVERYTHING IN DA NAME OF LAIGHTHARTEDNESS AND HUEMAH!

On a serious note, yeah that would be nice for once, as long as acknowledgment isn't just mindless shilling of Sonic, or doing the excessively stupid stuff we have seen in Free Riders.

Amy's the only one of the three who would possibly do that, though. I mean Tails is his best bud and does think highly of him but isn't mindless about it, and the current writers showed a hint of understanding how Knuckles should act towards Sonic (his reluctance to admit that he even needed Sonic to help him reminded me a bit of their interactions in the Adventures and Heroes).

And I chalk up Free Riders to the cast letting the competition get to their heads. Seriously, these people are ridiculously hot headed, heh.

I think the main question is...

Are the Deadly Six going to be voiced????????????????????

The way SEGA is cheap, I doubt we'll get nothing more than grunts, shrieks, screams, and moans...

Are the Deadly Six going to be voiced????????????????????

... Why wouldn't they? They're not generic beasts like Iblis or Dark Gaia.

Eh, the grunts heard in the trailer from the big red guy sound like it's from an actual voice rather than random monster noises. I'm pretty sure they'll have voices.