Awoo.

Guilty Gear Xrd (Arcade/PS3/PS4)

Remy

When I first saw it I was kind of down on it looking even more like a giant lighter but I kind of like it now. Even if it's now completely impossible to use like a normal sword the blade being on the rear kind of actually makes sense with Sol's fighting style

I think they combined it with Order-Sol's sword...which is fine by me.

But... Honestly, the limited-frame animation style, while it's a neat replication of how 2D fighters are usually animated, it just feels off knowing it's in 3D, because it just makes the animation feel incredibly "stiff", just doesn't flow very well. I dunno, I'm not a hardcore fighting game fan, so it's probably just me being more open-minded and feeling that the potential for really great, smooth-looking animation is just wasted.

The pausing and stiff animation actually serves a purpose in game- it's called hitstop. Hit stop basically briefly pauses both characters at the impact of a hit.

Hit stop serves two purposes- it adds to the impact of heavy hits. It might seem ridiculous but pausing the game makes hits feel like they actually connect to the other character rather than just passing through them.

Secondly hitstop allows you to react a little better when you're attack and defending. For the attacker it gives you split second to realise whether or not your attack actually worked, and lets you adjust your offence according. For the defender it gives you a split second more to think about how y're going to react to getting thwacked, particularly if you're blocking.

too much hitstop does suck- the middle few blazblue versions had way too much, for example, but in moderation it just makes a game feel good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Damn, you people post fast.

This blew my mind when i realized it was 3D, such a seamless blend ASW has done.

Hats off to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

New GUILTY GEAR?  Updated graphics that are very awesome?  New GUILTY GEAR soundtrack to buy?  YES. YES. YESSSSSSSSSSS!  That song alone gets me hyped for the game.

Loving the new look, too.  As if GG games didn't look awesome enough already.  It's been too long since I played a GG game, too.  Gotta bust out some of the classics to get re-acquainted with it now.

The pausing and stiff animation actually serves a purpose in game- it's called hitstop. Hit stop basically briefly pauses both characters at the impact of a hit.

Hit stop serves two purposes- it adds to the impact of heavy hits. It might seem ridiculous but pausing the game makes hits feel like they actually connect to the other character rather than just passing through them.

Secondly hitstop allows you to react a little better when you're attack and defending. For the attacker it gives you split second to realise whether or not your attack actually worked, and lets you adjust your offence according. For the defender it gives you a split second more to think about how y're going to react to getting thwacked, particularly if you're blocking.

too much hitstop does suck- the middle few blazblue versions had way too much, for example, but in moderation it just makes a game feel good.

Actually, I'm talking about in general, not just the hitstop (which I am all for, mind you). The general animation style just feels like wasted potential (it's not like you can't do hitstop with smoother animation, either).

Actually, I'm talking about in general, not just the hitstop (which I am all for, mind you). The general animation style just feels like wasted potential (it's not like you can't do hitstop with smoother animation, either).

It's classic.

Guilty Gear brings out the 15 year old fanboy in me. I just can't stop posting!!!!!!!!

If you add unnecessary frames you lose impact. You lose the timing of the move, and you lose the feeling of the game, all for the sake of "smoothness" to the spectator. 

I don't even think it looks that rough. Yeah the slow mo close ups are inexplicably low frame rate. But the section of fighting afterwards at around ~1:40 looks great. 

The whole reason it has the low frame look is they're probably trying to capture the look of anime. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm really excited abut this, I can't wait for it and that other thing coming out what was it, Chronotasmgama, yeah that.

It's classic.

Well, I know that, but it's not like they couldn't include an option or something for smoother animation for people who want it.

Well, I know that, but it's not like they couldn't include an option or something for smoother animation for people who want it.

I don't think having super smooth animation with the same timings for everything would look as good as you're picturing it.

UMVC3 has "smooth" animation and it kind of looks like a messy POS. 

Fighting games are just as much about being able to read moves as they are looking pretty. :<

If you don't like the style, that's fair enough. But I wouldn't change it for the world. 

Better version of the trailer here 

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1368676986

I don't think having super smooth animation with the same timings for everything would look as good as you're picturing it.

UMVC3 has "smooth" animation and it kind of looks like a messy POS. 

Fighting games are just as much about being able to read moves as they are looking pretty. :<

If you don't like the style, that's fair enough. But I wouldn't change it for the world. 

UMVC3's animation doesn't look that bad, mind you. "Smooth" animation can obviously done badly. but in the context of a fighting game, you just have to design the animations in a certain way to make them work, you can't just do it the usual way and expect everything to work swimmingly. And I don't think 'less smooth' animation like this game is necessarily more 'readable', either, but, eh.

It's just a matter of designers and animators actually putting effort into making animations both functional and good-looking.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

tumblr_m78aw8egZZ1qflrjl.gif

Oh my god it's happening! It's really fucking happening!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

OH GOD I MUST KNOW WHAT CONSOLES OR IF THERE'S A PC VERSION BECAUSE I NEED THIS!

OH SHIT

I DYING

Guilty Gear is my 2nd favorite fighting game series and I'm pretty excited for a new GG. No doubt about that. It does look quite amazing. Sheese its been a while since I've been excited for a fighting game.

Also what's up with Millia's outfit? It just looks...weird.

• Thumbs Up 2

Arc really isn't fucking around; That's a fighting tournament, a new Blazblue anime, a new CP trailer, AND a new Guilty Gear Title in one weekend. If they keep this up, they might just rival capcom as top fighting game dogs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Arc really isn't fucking around; That's a fighting tournament, a new Blazblue anime, a new CP trailer, AND a new Guilty Gear Title in one weekend. If they keep this up, they might just rival capcom as top fighting game dogs.

..Possibly unpopular opinion..?

Capcom hasn't done anything great with fighting games, besides reviving the genre to the mainstream, for a long time.

They're "top dog" with brand names only. Gameplay wise, they're nothing special anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

..Possibly unpopular opinion..?

Capcom hasn't done anything great with fighting games, besides reviving the genre to the mainstream, for a long time.

They're "top dog" with brand names only. Gameplay wise, they're nothing special anymore.

...This means..this means Arc can take reign.....That..will be AMAZING. But I know that's not gonna happen because Capcom fund events like EVO and basically force them to have their games. And ya know, they've been around longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

They would need to somehow capture the west though, before that happens. Hopefully GG can finally reinvigorate western interest in their games.

I know, I for one, prefer watching GG, BB or P4A as opposed to MVC3 or SFXT, lolz

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering they won't make Darkstalkers 4 I'd say Capcom has buried themselves in their grave.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering they won't make Darkstalkers 4 I'd say Capcom has buried themselves in their grave.

Cap "who cares about gameplay and long-term support, sales are everything" com

Oh Guilty Gear and your strange fucking titles haha.

Was really hoping to hear it pronounced "turd" or something equally as awesome as ZEX. Still I am amped and I am loving the graphics style. As long as in action it ends up being incredibly fast and fluid I'm down (also the fact that it is an unreal engine game is kinda cool too!)

This... is amazing! I really can't express how hyped I am. All this time I thought the Guilty Gear Series was dead because of BlazBlue. Nope! They're finally bringing Guilty Gear back, not just in another "updated installment" like with R, but with a complete legit sequel to XX finally. HOLY CRAP FINALLY!!!

Seriously, I literally just woke up and this just made my entire day and week. New Music, new Engine (or it's at least tweaked since the last GG), new Models; this is going to be amazing. I really really REALLY hope this gets to consoles, all of my want. o.o

• Thumbs Up 1