Awoo.

Xbox: A New Generation Revealed - Tuesday @ 10am (PST) / 1pm (EST) / 6pm (GMT)

Patticus

Does mean it won't play DVD's and Blu Rays. Doesn't that contradict their focus on Multimedia?

What are you talking about?

I wouldn't be so sure, because : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

But yeah, we will have to find out more about this in E3.

You can play used games on the XONE, too.

Is there a limit on the number of consoles a game can be linked to? I think I might have missed that bit of information. If the fee is small, whats stopping someone from simply lending out one game to large groups of friends and having those friends copy directly to the HDD, pay the fee, and forgo buying an original copy altogether? If the fee is large (Say, as much as the retail game itself), that would effectively kill the resale of game software.

It doesn't block them so much as it forces you to pay a fee (say, oh, $10?) for each one.

If it was a pass to play online this wouldn't bother me too much but a extra £8 fee in order to play both off and online you may as well buy it new.

It doesn't help that games are getting more expansive with DLC. Watch Dogs is £50 at GAME.sleep.png

This is true. Jesus, who believe their so much negativity that you get roped into it. sleep.png

I've lived though enough "next gen reveals" to learn to just sit back, relax, and wait for all the info. No rage, no all caps, no freaking out on twitter.

cHkMD0d.png

At most, I speculate and ask questions, but I'm over freaking out.

• Thumbs Up 2

What are you talking about?

I read that it won't run discs normally so you can't play DVD's and Blu Ray's on it.mellow.png

I read that it won't run discs normally so you can't play DVD's and Blu Ray's on it.mellow.png

No, you have to install games. That's all.

You can play used games on the XONE, too.

But you have to pay a fee. For the PS4, they haven't said anything about this yet and I hope there is no "fee". Otherwise this direction is just like the online passes only worse as you also pay for the single-player.

I've lived though enough "next gen reveals" to learn to just sit back, relax, and wait for all the info. No rage, no all caps, no freaking out on twitter.

cHkMD0d.png

At most, I speculate and ask questions, but I'm over freaking out.

I hate Next-Gen Transitions this why I am not buying one straight away, too much negative drama.sleep.png   

• Thumbs Up 1

As others have said, I'm going to wait for E3 and see what the games line up from all 3 platform holders is going to be like and how much the PS4 and Xbox One are going to cost. 

No, you have to install games. That's all.

So can I watch a DVD and Blu-Ray on it? Please bare in mind the article I read was a few months back. smile.png

But you have to pay a fee. For the PS4, they haven't said anything about this yet and I hope there is no "fee". Otherwise this direction is just like the online passes only worse as you also pay for the single-player.

Yoshida simply said it plays used games. He didn't go into details. So it's definitely still possible that they pull something similarily stupid. My post was referring to the part where you said he shouldn't be so sure about Sony doing the same.

So can I watch a DVD and Blu-Ray on it? Please bare in mind the article I read was a few months back. smile.png

It has a Blu-Ray drive, so I'd assume so.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Look at the bright side, guys: That new controller is gonna be great to play PC games with! 

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't help that games are getting more expensive with DLC. Watch Dogs is £50 at GAME.sleep.png

Quake II on the N64 cost me £75. More expensive they are not.

juss calling it how i see it. EA ditching wii u than showing up guns blazing at MS is too much of a cooincidence, especially with the online pass talk taken into concern

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm.

Biggest sounding positive for me is the idea of 15 exclusives, 8 of which are new IPs. That is impressive.

But...

No backwards compatibility? This trend is becoming more and more common, but its still a pain.

And a fee for pre-owned? That's a fair bit of bull.

Thing is, though, this unveiling was not aimed at us. It was aimed tt the people who only ever buy CoD and FIFA/Madden. They're the mass market, and they've unashamedly focused on them (and Kinect because dammit, if you're going to have a bad idea, you might as well run it into the ground). Will that strategy work? It might...if they were exclusive. Considering most of it will be available on PS4, its just a little puzzling to put all their eggs in a shared basket.

Dumb name too.

Edited by Covskin

Quake II on the N64 cost me £75. More expensive they are not.

The hell? I think you need to call the 90's and tell them you were robbed! blink.png

Still I think £50 is a bit steep it better be good DLC. Assassin's Creed costs the same as well.

Just a little heads up: I'll be leaving this topic open for another day or two, as discussion of the event gradually winds down, but after that time I (or another moderator) will lock it up and all Xbox One discussion will thereafter have to be in the official Xbox One discussion thread, so kindly set up by Remz. Spin-off topics on subjects warranting a thread of their own for debate and discussion are, as always, very welcome, but for now these two topics (soon to be just one) should suffice.

I didn't watch the conference (and I'm not one to chuckle like Sonic), but from what I've read...

joker-laugh.gif

lmao, wow. That was terrible. I'll admit that I never really had an interest in the Xbox brand, outside of my sister owning the first Xbox with a slew of games (JSRF, THPS3, and amped are some of my most favorable memories of the system), and Microsoft holding Rare on a leash; and I've been able to warm up a bit to Windows 8 despite the whole Metro UI fiasco, but this? Damn Microsoft, you've really fucking lost it.

The name (when you say Xbox 1, are you referring to the original Xbox or Xbox 1?), the entire presentation (there was honestly nothing from this conference that Microsoft couldn't had saved for E3, or were they making room for more Kinect shenanigans and pop star musical numbers), and the used games paywall (it may not block used games entirely, but requiring users to pay a fee for them is hardly much better for those who like to buy/share secondhand games is the equivalent of having bird shit instead of dog shit) have already been covered in lengthy detail, so I won't pour a wall of text on either of these three topics for the sake of not being redundant.

And suddenly Nintendo/Wii U doesn't seem to be up to it's neck in trouble anymore. The fact that Sony's stocks rose after this conference speaks for itself (if not volumes), which was arguably the funniest part of this entire thing.

Thing is, though, this unveiling was not aimed at us. It was aimed tt the people who only ever buy CoD and FIFA/Madden. They're the mass market, and they've unashamedly focused on them (and Kinect because dammit, if you're going to have a bad idea, you might as well run it into the ground). Will that strategy work? It might...if they were exclusive. Considering most of it will be available on PS4, its just a little puzzling to put all their eggs in a shared basket.

if that's the case the Xbox1's gonna need all that sales it can get from that sports/dudebro/Kinect demographic, because as far as I'm concerned, that's the only way it won't bomb upon release (at least in the US, anyway).

Yoshida simply said it plays used games. He didn't go into details. So it's definitely still possible that they pull something similarily stupid. My post was referring to the part where you said he shouldn't be so sure about Sony doing the same.

It's possible, but remember that EA didn't turn up for the PlayStation Meeting? And we have this special EA & Microsoft partnership? If there is going to be a "fee", Sony would have confirmed it along with the "used games" stuff months ago.

There will be a fee to play a game on more than one account, even if the second account is on the same system. Remember, it uses Kinect to log you in too, so you couldn't even just log in on a different account. 

So, if you have two kids who share games, or you and your significant other share games (as I do with my wife), you have to pay a fee for the second person to play. 

Deal breaker.