Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Anybody else pick up the DVD? I did and I noticed so far that there are some audio issues on the first episode. It starts right after the second commercial break where the timing of the audio is about a quarter to half a second off. Like a bad Japanese movie dub. Haven't noticed any other issues so far. Just thought I would bring that to your attention.

EDIT: DERPY UNCHANGED CONFIRMED. WOOHOOOOOO!

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

Already commented about this on Equestria Daily in two parts because I couldn't fit it altogether. To make it easier, I C&P'd both parts here:

Honestly, this PR statement reeks of horse manure.

First, her claim about the audio editing doesn't add up. Derpy's censorship wasn't just the audio. It's also the lip-synching, eye movements from Derpy, and Derpy's name being censored. The fanbase has the eyes of an eagle and the ears of dogs. They can spot the most miniscule changes very quickly. The fanbase is much smarter than most give credit for.

Second, this:

Some viewers felt that aspects of the episode 'The Last Roundup' did not stay true to the core message of friendship which is the heart and soul of the series.

This doesn't make sense. Derpy is a FRIEND to the ponies from Ponyville. Also, "doesn't stay true to the core [of the show]"? Friendship isn't just about expressing morals. It's also about learning that there are others who are different than yourself and appreciating them for who they are. Don't they remember Zecora's debuting episode and the reason why seven main characters (this includes Spike) with extremely varying personalities were united in the first place? Derpy was appreciated by the fanbase because they LOVE this klutz; and they love her for her aloof personality, expressions, qualities, and flaws. Derpy was not making fun of the mentally disabled. She's just a klutz. Dash, despite feeling impatient, appreciates Derpy for at least trying to help her. The fanbase reacted this strongly (positively when she first spoke and very negatively when she was censored) because the animation studio and fandom are very close and communicate with each other directly. I almost never see this in any fandom for any media.

In addition, what about all those people like BaldDumboRat who ARE disabled (particularly mentally disabled) but feel absolutely grateful for Derpy? They love her because she's a character they and everyone else can relate to. She doesn't have all these magical abilities. She's just a pony with clumsy issues in her flying and eyes, a will to help, an aloof personality, innocence, and the ability to try whatever she could to help others. Derpy was a fantastic character in the original "Last Roundup" airing because we can appreciate her for being her.

When I watch the censored scene, all I saw was a sarcastic, obnoxious, screechy pony. I didn't see Derpy or Ditzy Doo or whatever. I just saw an unlikeable voice attached to Derpy's gray fur and feathers and blonde mane. She doesn't sound cute, clumsy, and innocent anymore. Just like Rainbow Dash's re-recorded lines, Derpy was just out of character.

And what also gets me upset was the implying message this censorship brings. What I think about in the censored version is this: "You're disabled. You're mentally sick. Therefore, you have no part of society." As someone who unofficially has Asperger's, that makes my eyebrow twitch. It also doesn't help that the quality of the production in the re-dubbing is absolutely horrific; I can literally hear this acting in a 4Kids dub. Knowing the standards of the voice acting in MLP:FIM, this doesn't sit well with me.

Lastly, the reason why the fandom reacted this strongly is very underestimated. While the "bronies" from 4Chan definitely made the fanbase look like clueless jerks by spamming Yamino's page on DeviantArt and Tumblr (and I'm not a fan of some of the stuff she said, either, including her wild and off-kilter misunderstanding of the fandom's appreciation for Derpy; I've already critiqued her stance several weeks ago, and I don't intend to revisit her page), the majority aren't stooping this low nor are they spamming dissenters' pages with crap. They're genuinely very upset for good reasons. Despite claims by the Hasbro PR that the audio was "edited" for one episode and Kreoss's reassurance that Derpy will be a-okay, many of us are worried that the edit could do the following:

1. Strain the relationship between the creative staff and the fandom.

2. Give DHX and Studio B a little less creative leeway compared to before the fiasco.

3. Open up a Pandora's Box effect on other episodes, either past or future ones.

4. Cut off possible future connections between the passionate fandom and the show itself.

5. Throw out Derpy's potential as being not only an even greater character, but also being a bigger role model and inspiration for the handicapped.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 7

Taking place in the discussion on EqD itself? You're a braver man than I.

Damn right! :D I'm not afraid to get involved and let my own thoughts be heard. :lol:

I really don't get why people are obtaining a sense of placation from Hasbro's statement. If anything, I gave them more leeway beforehand, back when it was still within the realm of possibilities that the change was due to corporate meddling from Apple's behalf, or due to copyright issues as theorized during the WeLoveFine fiasco.

Let's review just what exactly happened here.

The studio goes out of their way to make the single most monumental shout out to the fandom in the entire running of the series by giving a fan-favorite extra her own scene. The fanbase exploded with joy, showered Jayson Thiessen and the rest of the crew with appreciation, and went out of their way to purchase the episode online to display further support for the show. WeLoveFine even introduces new shirts to commemorate the scene on their website. And then...

• The episode was completely taken off the air and digital distribution services.

• WeLoveFine was ordered to remove all merchandising pertaining to Derpy, and in the meantime removes her name from all product pages.

• The studio was ordered to reanimate and rerecord the entirety of the scene.

All because a vocal minority complained to Hasbro about it.

Those changes weren't free. Because of them, The Hub had to re-do the entire schedule lineup of future airings of the episode, and submit their changes to the TV listing companies (ex: TV Guide). WeLoveFine, a relatively small t-shirt merchant, had to go on a wild goose chase throughout their website to rename each and every single last bit of Derpy merchandise because of an order from their licensor, Hasbro. And finally, the studio lost time and money by having to bring in animators and voice actors re-do a scene they had already completed when they're already preoccupied with season three. And us? The fanbase? We lost a cherished icon.

Let me restate this: Hasbro, WeLoveFine, and DHX Productions all lost time and money, and we lost an cherished moment and an icon all because this select few of preachy offended twats bickered about it.

If anything, I'd say this PR statement warrants an uprising more than anything. I was expecting something soothing and condoling; such as a sweet ripened Apple telling me that it was a corporate fiasco above their control, or a satisfying grape informing me that it was entirely a legal matter that they couldn't bother with.

But this? This was a lemon. A putrid and sour lemon. I don't want your goddamn lemon. You can take it back.

tl;dr - I still mad.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 5

You are not Cave Johnson, so make do with the lemons.

All reprisals are going to do is make the fandom look bad. We do not own this franchise, and HASBRO could just as easily strip out all the brony-pleasing material in a fit of pique. And the change, however much it must have cost in time and energy, was still a relitively small one.

I never commented on Derpy here, did I?

Well, I hated her original voice, and I find her new one much more appropriate. I dislike what they did to her eyes and the fact they took her name out of the cartoon, but you know, it's a cartoon. Nothing I can remain worked up about for days at a time. Derpy is still derpy to me, and no amount of retcons will change that.

Anyways, I've just been focusing on writing my FiM fanfiction, which is now done. It'll be up by the end of the week, hopefully; just waiting on my editor and the person supplying the cover art.

As I said before the only thing that really bothers me out of all of this is that it could happen again... Anytime... It makes me feel that the show could suffer an actually serious blow (Let's be honest here, Derpy is just background and as such she doesn't affect the show that much) if some minority complain enough. I worry that we are going to revert back to the times when saying the word "egghead" was pushing it...

And I know that the people behind the show doesn't think like that but whatever they say to us now doesn't really hold any significance, because I bet Hasbro was okay with this when the episode aired (otherwise it wouldn't have been published) and you can see how that went, so who is to say something happens latter that will make whoever said "Derpy will be fine" eat his words?

But that's me being my paranoid self, as far as we know the only thing this whole fiasco did to Derpy is permanently seal her current status as background character while Hasbro cover their asses against any potential damage. (I admit, for very stupid reasons but this world can be quite stupid from time to time... Do I need to remind you of the country that banned time travel? Or the acts that would cause a massive collateral damage to the internet considered as plausible solutions against the piracy problem?). All of this while this show keeps going as if nothing happened.

I doesn't mean I like this though.

EDIT:

Anyways, I've just been focusing on writing my FiM fanfiction, which is now done. It'll be up by the end of the week, hopefully; just waiting on my editor and the person supplying the cover art.

Hope you can share it with us once it's done. :)

Edited by gato

So yeah, now there's a petition against that barking pony from "Read it and Weep" too.

eggpawnragesm.png

Why. Had a feeling this would happen. Worked once, after all.

Anywho, looking forward to this week's episode. Hopefully it can get my mind off this rubbish. :v

And here I was wondering how Derpy was offensive and yet nobody spoke up about Screwloose/Screwy/Barking Dog.

Still pretty stupid, I must say.

EDIT: Looked at the petition... Are people who are against this really signing anyway just to insult the creator of this petition? Hey uh... I really don't think that's a good Idea.The stupidity of some people just astounds me. Tell me when this petition reaches over it's first required signatures, then I'll worry.

Edited by Wayward Vagabond

So yeah, now there's a petition against that barking pony from "Read it and Weep" too.

eggpawnragesm.png

Why. Had a feeling this would happen. Worked once, after all.

Anywho, looking forward to this week's episode. Hopefully it can get my mind off this rubbish. :v

Oh SHIT guys! It's got a whopping 5 signatures!!! There's no way Hasbro will ignore this we're fucked!!

/not so sarcasm

I'm definitely looking forward to Saturday. Fluttershy episode of this season, and at a new time. Description sounds like something I can relate to.

What boggles me to no end is WHO do these changes and petitions benefit? Not everyone interprets Derpy Hooves as a supposedly "mentally disabled" character; as far as I'm concerned, she's just a klutz, and almost every show in existence has had one of those.

Also worthy of note is WHY DERPY and WHY NOW? Derpy is just one of many characters created in the past few decades who are klutzy or a little slow. If they really feel this kind of character is offensive,why didn't they start protesting about it back as early as the 1990s? Or heck, why not protest a more blatantly stupid character. I can easily put out a list of comic relief idiot styled characters right here:

Billy from the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

Ed from Ed, Edd 'n Eddy

The Mayor from Powerpuff Girls

Cheese from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants

Carl Wheezer, Sheen Estevez, Hugh Neutron from Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

Cosmo from Fairly OddParents

I'm pretty sure there is more than this, but these guys are more blatantly stupid/klutzy/slow than Derpy, and they didn't get called out.

There's also the thing that by removing the so called "mentally disabled" characters from the show IMO shows even greater intolerance, because the message I get from that is that:

"Anything that even resembles slowness/klutziness/stupidity is not here, therefore it must be wrong to be like that IRL"

TL;DR I mad, and am wondering where I could post this to get a response from them, granted I'll have to reword it better.

Edited by Enigma2Me

What boggles me to no end is WHO do these changes and petitions benefit? Not everyone interprets Derpy Hooves as a supposedly "mentally disabled" character; as far as I'm concerned, she's just a klutz, and almost every show in existence has had one of those.

Also worthy of note is WHY DERPY and WHY NOW? Derpy is just one of many characters created in the past few decades who are klutzy or a little slow. If they really feel this kind of character is offensive,why didn't they start protesting about it back as early as the 1990s? Or heck, why not protest a more blatantly stupid character. I can easily put out a list of comic relief idiot styled characters right here:

Billy from the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

Ed from Ed, Edd 'n Eddy

The Mayor from Powerpuff Girls

Cheese from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants

Carl Wheezer, Sheen Estevez, Hugh Neutron from Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

Cosmo from Fairly OddParents

I'm pretty sure there is more than this, but these guys are more blatantly stupid/klutzy/slow than Derpy, and they didn't get called out.

There's also the thing that by removing the so called "mentally disabled" characters from the show IMO shows even greater intolerance, because the message I get from that is that:

"Anything that even resembles slowness/klutziness/stupidity is not here, therefore it must be wrong to be like that IRL"

TL;DR I mad, and am wondering where I could post this to get a response from them, granted I'll have to reword it better.

Sexism.

...I don't have anything else to add to that answer.

What VEDJ-F said: notice how all the characters you've brought up are male? Let's not also forget Snails, who's basically an idiot in concept.

Personally, I find Snails more offensive than Derpy!! I mean, he's actually slow/stupid...plus a Canadian accent (along with stereotypical "eh/ay")! Gee, thanks Studio B! >:V

>_> <_<

...Yeah, I'm not actually mad. I genuinely ike Snails, if only for the nod to Pinky and the Brain in Boast Busters.

:P

Sexism.

What VEDJ-F said: notice how all the characters you've brought up are male? Let's not also forget Snails, who's basically an idiot in concept.

...I did not even notice that part before.

So wait, females aren't allowed to be considered comic relief klutz'?

...I did not even notice that part before.

So wait, females aren't allowed to be considered comic relief klutz'?

Yeah pretty much.

Sexism.

That's definitely part of it, both in the sense that people find the character more offensive because she is female, and also because she happens to feature in a girls cartoon which people automatically feel should be more "innocent" than boys cartoons.

However, like i said right here in this thread back when the episode first aired, i also think the reason why Derpy could more easily be interpreted as handicapped than most other typical "stupid" cartoon characters is because of her multitude of, well, non-regular characteristics. Appart from her general klutzy behaviour, there is also her lazy eye and the fact that at least the first two lines she spoke were perhapes a little bit more reminiscent of the way that many actuall mentally challenged people speak than what is common with other "stupid-sounding" cartoon characters, due to how she spoke in a sort of "slurred" way.

And i'll admit, the first thing that went through my mind when i saw her was "special needs pony". But unlike others who got the same vibes, i didn't feel the least bit offended by her because i realized that she obviously wasn't intended to actually be mentally challenged. She just sorta happened to somewhat come of that way. Hell, i thought she was adorable and she immediately became my favorite character on the show...

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 1

In any case, to help swing the mood around midweek, it's that time of year tomorrow.

Load up the party cannons.

Uh...what time of year exactly?

In any case, to help swing the mood around midweek, it's that time of year tomorrow.

You misspelled Derpy cannon.

tumblr_ly6ozhv07O1qincmao1_500.png

• Thumbs Up 8

Way ahead of ya guys.

I'm in the process of making a collage of some sort to celebrate this occasion.

• Thumbs Up 1

No one outside those of the MLP:FiM fandom come by this thread.

We can plot our Derpy takeover of the SSMB safely from here.