Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Aw shit, another episode staring my favorite pony is on the way...

spike_is_the_best_pony_by_nexivian-d48jqfa.jpg

YES! Two spike episodes in one season! The name is supposedly "Dragon Quest", as reported by Equestria Daily.

Episode: Dragon Quest

Air Date: March 17, 2012)

Synopsis: Spike joins the Great Dragon Migration to discover his true identity, but it might not be what he really needs.

Alright! More character development for the master of the fedora hat! This means the next 3 episodes are all going to be focused on my top 3 favorite characters (Fluttershy, Twilight, and of course spike)!

This is going to be amazing! To bad it looks like were not getting an episode next week though.

Edited by Strickerx5

So... that's at 12:00 PM for me I think. I kind of liked watching MLP at 9 in the morning, considering I almost always wake up at 8 on Saturdays anyways. It was a great way to start off the day.

Now I got 4 hours of space, and I really hate waiting in anticipation for something,

I saw the new episode; overall, I liked it. The extended song sequence was the best part by far, but I got a few laughs out of other parts as well. I just didn't think it was one of the funnier episodes I've seen.

Meanwhile, I'm still working my way through season 1... god I'm slow at watching this series. "Over a Barrel" is one of my favorites so far, if only for the "I'd like to be a tree" segment. I laughed so damn hard.

1PM instead of 10AM? That'll be a lot easier on me since I tend to stay up till 3AM.

Anyway, I loved today's episode. I was hoping for a lot of forth wall breaking and reality bending and it didn't disappoint. Pinkie is definitely my favorite of the main 6 characters now.

Omg you guys, I think I wrote something d'awwful.

Sonic Rainboom (Friendship Grows) Lyrics

Fluttershy in the sky

Rainbow Dash twice as high

Twilight looks

up from her books

A Sonic rainboom

Dresses are made to wear

Apples to grow

New friends to know

and Spike's young flame blows

We can be anything

In Ponyville

We always will

have our friendship grow

Our friendship grows

Our friendship grows

Our friendship grows!

This needs to be a video. And something that is sang. Too bad I suck at doing either of those things.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

Applejack based upon the song Destiny or Moltiva by Marija.

It's been a long way

I try hard not to fall apart

Every night I pray

And your voice is singing in my heart

I have been waiting

A long time for you to take my hoof

Loving and hating

A desire that I don’t understand

I can't breathe, I can't sleep

Why can't I get through to you?

I can't think, I can't speak

What am I to do?

Applejack

I’ve been looking for something to guide me

Applejack

Even though I’ve tried I can't deny you

If I let you go, I’d betray my soul

I know that this is something more

Even though nothing’s spoken for,

a way that you will feel the same ‘bout me

Applejack

(Instrumental)

Read the stars and see my scars

I feel so low when you’re away

So reach out, it’s not far

Listen to me pray

Applejack

I've been looking for something to guide me

Applejack

Even though I tried I can't deny you

If I let you go (let you go)

I betray my soul (my soul)

I know that this is something more

Even though (even though), nothing's spoken for (spoken for)

A way that you will feel the same

'bout mee.. ooohhh

If I let you go (let you go)

I betray my soul (my soul)

I know this is something more

Even though, (even though) nothing spoken for (spoken for)

I pray that you will feel the same 'bout me

Applejack

Faith is within of me

Applejack

Edited by Applejack1973
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wow, on the other message board I go to, some of the members are kinda pissed off with this episode's message.

Haven't seen people this upset with an episode since Feeling Pinkie Keen. mellow.png

I guess Pinkie Pie brings out the ugly side in some people huh?

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

The only way I can see people complain about the episode is probably because they felt Pinkie was being more annoying than usual in trying to get this one new guy to like her when she has everyone else liking her and they think this makes her look obessive or obnoxious.

Though I really have no qualms about it since we all knew Pinkie was crazy since the very first episode and that's what makes her (perhaps) the most popular of the Mane 6.

The only way I can see people complain about the episode is probably because they felt Pinkie was being more annoying than usual in trying to get this one new guy to like her when she has everyone else liking her and they think this makes her look obessive or obnoxious.

Though I really have no qualms about it since we all knew Pinkie was crazy since the very first episode and that's what makes her (perhaps) the most popular of the Mane 6.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I understand why they're upset. It just came to me as quite the mood whiplash after everyone (Including myself) was praising this episode in this topic.

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

My short fanfiction is taking longer to write than I thought it would... I keep having problems with motivation. I should be half-done with the rough draft by the end of the day, since I'm coming up on another commercial break (if it were an actual episode, that is). I really need an editor though. I'm no good at judging my own work, and I've only seen the first season of the show, so I'm worried about characters acting out of character.

If anyone would like to critique what I have right now, I would very much appreciate it. I'm not asking for someone who's amazing at writing and editing, just something with knowledge of Pony-verse and able to point out mistakes I've made that need to be fixed.

Wow, on the other message board I go to, some of the members are kinda pissed off with this episode's message.

Haven't seen people this upset with an episode since Feeling Pinkie Keen. mellow.png

I guess Pinkie Pie brings out the ugly side in some people huh?

I don't get what's so bad about the episode's message. Yes, Pinkie Pie can be a bit too crazy at times, but this is Pinkie Pie we're talking about. To me, the message was "It's great to see your friend's smile, but some people want to be left alone as well."

So, air time changes? The new airtime would be awesome because it happens in my free time (the current one doesn't, and I'm always end up missing the chapter)

But the problem is that this also happens at a time my internet connection doesn't seem to work so well. (I dunno why)

This also majorly messes up my schedule (long posts, Ponibooru visits, time I watch the episodes), but I guess I can't really complain and this change favors those who are actually able to support the show (and the Hub).

I'll have to deal with it. *sigh and shrug*

MY NOT SO LITTLE REVIEW: Overanalysing is super special.

9sUd4.gif

Episode 44: A Friend In Deed.

Chapter:

The chapter starts with an interesting exercise footage from Pinkie while she tries to make the baby Cakes laugh and I can't avoid to wonder if this is just Pinkie trying to be funny for the babies or if she actually had an exercise routine before (gotta burn all that sugar somehow) and what we are witnessing here is the party pony doing an amazing feat of multitasking mixing work out and babysitting... (I'm headcanon'ing the later)

Anyway, the day goes on and Pinkie decides to go for a walk while greeting everypony (and other species), when Matilda (a donkey who has been living in Ponyville for a while) asks why does she bother to remeber all of this random stuff about everypony (and other species) the pink pony answers she just loves to make her friends smile... Of course, being Pinkie, she does this in awesome song form, with a parade, physics breaking antics and even some parkour!

After the awesome musical number Pinkie finds in front of a donkey who either didn't hear the song or there is something else wrong with him because he is not smiling... Pinkie tries her usual repertory to cheer this donkey up but the only thing we get to know about him is his name (Cranky Doodle Donkey), his little issues with his middle name and that he doesn't seem to be interested in Pinkie's friendship.

After going through some schedule revisions the party pony decides to try again! This time she brings a welcome wagon and does another song (with dance) but things backfire when the wagon ends up blowing away Cranky's toupee... Which Pinkie mistakes for a spider and promptly proceeds to smash it, after realizing her mistake Pinkie tries to help.. by telling everypony how bald (is that even possible with furred animals?) Cranky is... After the unintentional public humiliation Pinkie once again tries to make up for his mistakes, this time she brings Cranky to the spa and offers him a new toupee, for once, the donkey seems pleased enough to thank the party pony for her help... but he still doesn't smile. D:

Pinkie decides to try again (she is getting close after all) and goes to Cranky's house, where she proceeds to touch and mess around with all of the donkey's possessions, after a bit of talk she finds out that Cranky has been traveling all over Equestria searching for a special friend (though not as special as pinkie =D), she also finds a scrapbook that seems to hold something important... Pinkie wants to ask Cranky about this book but she accidentally burns it, she quickly tries to put off the fire but the damage has been done, the book is ruined and Cranky furiously vows he will never be friends with the party pony.

Saddened for this turn of events, Pinkie goes to talk with Twilight who tells her that as hard as it's to accept, Cranky just wants some time alone... Rainbow Dash (in all her Rainbowness) also points that the donkey simply doesn't want to be bothered by Pinkie's sugar high attitude. Realizing what she did wrong, Pinkie decides to finally give some peace to good old (I think he is old) Cranky... After he accepts her apologies! :V

And so, Pinkie goes once again to Cranky's house, the donkey is not in the mood to deal with her right now so he tries to run away... Sadly... We still have to meet something that is able to outrun the pink blur (Rainbow knows your feel bro).

Cranky is cornered in his house, he is even forced to close the chimney (because Pinkie tends thinks inside it :U) and desperately ask Pinkie to leave, letting slip that he will never accept the party pony's apology because she ruined the only thing he had to remember "Her".

After this little revelation pinkie puts 2 + 2 + 2 together and finally leaves the donkey alone for a while, only to be back a few seconds later asking for a last chance to fix things up, even if he doesn't want to be her friend or even if he doesn't want to accept her apologies... Cranky still denies this petition until he hears another voice... Cranky quickly opens the door and his eyes can't believe what he is watching, right in front of him is Matilda (the donkey from the beginning)!

It turns out Matilda was the special friend Cranky has been looking for so many years (i guess it was years). Perplexed about this sudden developments Doodle (as only Matilda is allowed to call him) asks the other donkey how did she found him... And his special friend reveals it was all thanks to Pinkie, the scrapbook Pinkie read at Cranky's house held a flower, a ticket and a menu for the Grand Galloping Gala (a very special gala were this 2 donkeys met and fell in love), and this items were also present in Matilda's scrapbook, after this and all the other hints Cranky has been dropping Pinkie rightfully deducted Matilda was the special friend he has been looking for.

After finally meeting with his beloved one (just the moment he was about to give up) Cranky finally manages to smile and gladly accepts Pinkie's apology and friendship and then Pinkie exploded... Twice!

Way too happy about her latest addition to her friend list Pinkie starts making plans for a party, but then she remembers the little talk she had with Twi and Dash and quickly corrects herself, offering maybe something less hyper and over the top... Cranky is grateful for Pinkie's disposition to make him smile but now the only thing he wants is to spend some peaceful, quiet and most importantly, private (WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE) time with Matilda, Pinkie accepts this and leaves the 2 lovebirds alone (not without breaking into song for a last time).

Characters:

Nothing much to say here, Fluttershy and AJ were in the smile song and that's it, Rarity made a toupee inspired by Johnny Bravo Steven Magnet... Rainbow was seen spending some egghead-time with Twilight at the library (and the shippers rejoiced?) and is as blunt as always (I'm taking that as a consistent characterization which is good), Zecora was seen here too and nopony was running around from her. (not even the flower trio), We've also seen more of the Spa Ponies. All in all this chapter did a good job at showing us how active and brimming with life Ponyville is even when the camera isn't looking.

But most of the episode turns around Pinkie, a lot of people seemed to be a tad annoyed at how Pinkie was handled here (especially the way she mistreated poor Cranky)... TBH I don't see anything different from this Pinkie to the ones seen in other chapter (once again, consistency is good), it just happens that this week we had a whole chapter dedicated to that obliviously insensitive side of hers...

I also liked how she seems to keep a pattern of "whenever in doubt of something (it's rare but it happens), ask Twilight", the pink pony seems to feel a lot of respect for the friendship scholar... This also reminds me of when Pinkie sung about Twilight being the "cutest, smartest, all around best pony" laugh.png (no, I'm not saying this is a continuity nod).

We've also got some time to witness most of her Pinkie powers, like teleportation, high speed, parkour, felt thinking (we know this is not normal, I at least remember twi and Rarity's imagine spots being normal), materialization of thoughts (felt check symbol), party artillery (welcome wagons, party canons, flying contraptions), photographic memory, she can grow freaking limbs! Pinkie was in full power in this episode and I loved it!

The other main character here was Cranky... I loved Cranky! From his classical "theme song" to his quite touching love story... I love how they didn't portray him as antagonistic for not liking Pinkie (actually, it was almost the other way around, with Pinkie being to extroverted and clumsy) and I love how it's made pretty clear from the beginning that there is a reason as to why he doesn't seem to be too happy... He was hit by life... Hard... He spent years looking for his beloved one (conveniently ignoring one of the nearest towns to the capital >_>) and failed over and over again... And he finally gave up... He quit his dream of a lifetime with his love and decided to go spend his final years alone in a quiet village (I'm going to guess there is not a lot of information or news concerning Ponyville in the big cities, because this place is far from quiet and peaceful... Even when nothing life threatening or universe shattering happens!). To a donkey who had to go through all of that it's pretty normal to find the bouncy, hyper, cheery attitude of Pinkie kind of annoying (and he still makes his darn best to not kick the pink pony in the face).

I've read some people comparing it to Carl's story in Up, and even complaining about how Cranky's ending could have been better or more deep and emotional if Matilda wasn't alive... And while I could agree with that at some point I really can't see how they could pull this off in a MLP cartoon (I know I'm a slowpoke but I'm still trying to get over the fact this used to be a sugar coated girly cartoon and my visions about what DHX can and can't do are rather limited >_>). I'm quite pleased with his happy ending anyway (I think the poor guy deserved it).

AJ PARENTS ARE DEEEEEEAAAAAAD.

tl;dr:

I found it quite hard to pick one picture that sums up my thoughts about the chapter... So have a macro and let's cal it a day.

kfqEo.jpg

And of course we can't forget Pinkie Pie's felt of approval.

GwBKO.jpg

All in all this was a fantastic episode... Am I the only one who finds funny how this chapter turned out to be way more romantic than the token Valentine's episode? laugh.png Cranky's sad backstory is a really good tale, even if could have been done better (some things make this look like an... asspull..... OLOLOLOLOLOLOLO*punch'd*).

Between this, the delicious continuity nods (in a series like this those are pretty rare and I can't avoid to feel happy whenever I see one) and Pinkie's antics I can happily say this is one of the best episodes of the series. (at least in my list) biggrin.png

ps: I was planning to include some Zodiac stuff in the character section including Cheerilee, Zecora and Pinkie's birthday (wasn't planning to include Matilda for some reason) but I decided it was better to scrap it, some parts actually fitted with the characters but I guess that's to be expected when you deal with this topic.

EDIT: Parkour is a super power.

EDIT2: ... I also forgot to mention about Pinkie taking apologies seriously (It's a nice trait, but I don't have the time or will to expand about it right now)... -_-

Edited by gato

The EQD link i posted has been updated with a log of questions and answers.

Return of Luna / Spike x Rarity

Question:

Will Luna make a appearance in season 3?

Will Spike x Rarity also happen again? I loved how cute their romance in "secret of my excess" was.

Answer:

yes / yes

More of my favourite ship? YES!

Lyra Sitting

Question:

Current one I'm working on; Not sure if you've heard of the Lyra Sitting everywhere meme?

Answer:

hahahahahahahaha

oh god

lyra sitting

its funny because

it may appear in a later episode

might just

keep your eyes peeled bronies

More Derpy

Question:

There will be another Dərpy cameo? Like in 'The Last Round Up'?

Answer:

duh

More teasing and more Derpy it seems. yay~

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

Actually kinda not surprised about that.

Awfully free with information considering how tight-lipped everyone was in the past.

D:

...Why, cruel world...

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?

In all seriousness, good show, sir. :)

• Thumbs Up 2