Awoo.

What Was Your Favorite Part About Sonic 06?

Tamaki Kawazoe <3

I can understand the music, but I find it hard to believe how many people like the level art. Maybe the graphics are detailed, but it doesn't matter; the levels seem so... uninspired. Soleanna, even though it was based off Venice, felt so lifeless. The only level I could really say I enjoyed the appearance of was Flame Core, even though the level itself felt a bit drawn out.

I may enjoy the story of this game (for the most part) but what it really suffers from is that the gameplay not only loses the speed one would grow to expect from the series, but the flow. It just became a run-of-the-mill platformer, and a glitchy one at that. I can't say I blame Sonic Team for it, given that their publishers allegedly rushed them to make it in time for the Holiday season, but if they let it wait another half or full year, it really could have come out a lot better.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Tamaki Kawazoe <3

• Indigo Rush

• CrownSlayers Shadow

If you ask me, the textures are generally pretty crap. The character models are nice but glitchy, it's generally not one of the best 360/PS3 games I've seen by a long shot.

My favourite part of it? Probably the instrumental of His World. Fucking epic, even though I hate the lyrics, and every version minus Bentley Jones' and C40's, those two are just bearable for me. ;p

I don't really care about the textures that much, I care if the graphics are nice enough for the system and there is a huge distance you can see from. I am not that picky about graphics, so don't take my opinion on it.

I liked the soundtrack and thats about it. The final boss aswell was quite fun hearing the epic version of his world xD.

I really wish Robotnik's look in this game was kept. I really enjoyed being able to take him seriously. His demeanor helped sell it as well.

I really wish Robotnik's look in this game was kept. I really enjoyed being able to take him seriously. His demeanor helped sell it as well.

I liked it, but I wouldn't want it to be kept. Yes, he seemed more serious, but he lost his comic charm.

The scene where Elise crashes and burns on the Egg Carrier before Sonic and Silver pull a Deus Ex Machina. However Eggman also dies there, rather pathetically too, so it's a really bitter sweet moment.

Yeah, and I'm asking what they are.

We've got as much right to express our dislike of a character as anyone has to express their like of one. And I think asking why people feel the way they do is a perfectly valid question.

So I don't know what the hell you think you're defending here.

And putting down what someone else love isn't cool. Not to be an asshole and I understand where your coming from, but also understand where i'm coming from, there's always a way to say and do things without putting down someone or something they love.

Edited by Segamaster

Playing as Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles and Silver. I thought the graphics were pretty good (much much better in HD).

Edited by Erazor

Holy shit, these are my people!

I loved Sonic 06, probably because I stupidly convinced myself at some point that it was good, even though I know in retrospect, it was quite lame, but my god, there were some bits in this game that stand out.

The story is by far what I loved the most. Even though it created more problems than it solved, it was an epic experience. A lot of people have criticized the ending because it nullifies the who journey, which I thought was a bizarre argument because the whole point of the game was to avert the Iblis Trigger, and they did by eliminating it from existence, and the ending events were an abridged version of what the original encounter would have been like if Iblis never existed. The ending scene of Sonic and Elise blissfully unaware of the journey that had occurred was one of the most poignant moments ever to be captured in a Sonic game. Any person who didn't feel humble for our blue hero at that moment obviously didn't enjoy the story, but for myself who did, it was one of the most awe inspiring moments, knowing that he had been to hell and back, overcome adversity and evil. And only us the player was aware of this moment, Sonic might not know about it, but we know of his darkest hours, his most exhilarating moments (Sonic Story ending cutscene was hollywood material) and his flaws. It painted the perfect mental and physical picture of him, and to prove it's point, the game ends with an epic shot of Sonic standing there looking at the moon. The unsung hero of an epic tale. He will never get recognition, neither will our other heroes, but we know of it.

To add to this point I would like to reference two things which have absolutly no relevance what so ever. The Dark Knight (more specifically Ledger's Joker) and Mephiles. I believe Alfred said it best: "Some men don't need a reason, Mr Wayne. Some men just want to watch the world burn." And this brings me to the motivation of Mephiles. Mephiles had motivation alright, it was vague and not directly acknowledged by the game, but it's pretty damn obvious. Solaris = 1 part Mephiles + 1 Part Iblis. This is irrefutable because when Mephiles and Iblis merged at the end of the game with the power of the emeralds, they formed Solaris. (Just getting that part out of the way). He was split up, a ruined soul. I would be pretty damn pissed as well if some g-tard took my life and drilled it like that by sealing me into a glass jar. I'd want revenge, and I'd make it personal too. The genuine irony behind Mephiles taking Shadow's form was a great piece of the puzzle to admire when he saw how Shadow ended up sealing him. And to show the world he wanted Revenge, he did it. Good on him. For ages I hated it when wanted someone was going to kill someone but instead went: O hey, my enemy is walking along unaware by himself, I might have an inner monologue to myself and debate whether I should kill him and in doing so will my life hold purpose...

NO

Mephiles went: *Spots Sonic* Wait.... *Stab*

... Damn this dude plays for keeps.

His sheer will to screw anyone over so long as it benefits himself made him the most likeable bad guy ever. I love shit like that!

Next up are those stunning cinematic cutscenes that just ozze love and effort. Each Pre-rendered scene was intricate and interesting. I love Sonic CGI scenes, they are some of the best in games today (Even our mutual benefactor IGN agrees the production levels in Sonic is one of the greatest in games today) and I look in wonder and amazement everytime I see them.

As with everyone else, the soundtrack was a highlight, not just in game, but the remixes that followed give enthusiasm to a game not treated right but it's publisher. His World, Dreams Of An Absolution, even Shadow's corny theme song gets me reved up. And Solaris Phase 2, well, I don't even have to try and convince people of the high calibre of the song.

Shadow's Gameplay: Not the vehicles, but how he played like Sonic, but more graceful and gymnast like; homing attack an enemy, side-ways flip to the next guy, and again, dude looked like a player.

All up, this was a game that was not treated right by it's publisher. It's a shame really. The game had all the boxes checked, it was just dont to a shitty quality where one has to wonder... would an extra 6 months be the difference between a shitfest, or an epic. Imagine an extra 2 months developing the code, 2 months on the story and 2 months on the gameplay.... guess that's all we can do now, imagine.

Here's to Sonic 06. Forgiven for what it was, but not forgotten for what it should have been.

Oh yeah, the instrumental version of His World on the final boss battle was so epic...

greatest musical piece ever?

I liked it, but I wouldn't want it to be kept. Yes, he seemed more serious, but he lost his comic charm.

As much as I love Robotnik, I thought it was great to see him being taken more seriously instead of his "Evil Comic Relief Genius". I would like to see it more often in games, admittedly I wouldn't want him to be serious all the time as that would ruin his charm but occasional moments were he is a believably evil individual without the LOL factor would be nice in the new games.

I'm actually probably the biggest Sonic 2006 fan here. Hell, I rate it just below Sonic Adventure 1 and 2! Still, the game does have some severe flaws that keep it from true greatness. But the game has plenty of kickass momments to make up for that with me. So, my favourite momments? Here goes *cracks knuckles*

The first CG cutscene. I'd previously seen it on youtube, but that didn't compare to seeing it on my television screen for the first time.

When I first entered the hub world after hearing all the reviews mentioning glitchy gameplay, and I promptly landed on the pool curb wrong and the game's camera whent into a spazz attack. I laughed myself silly; other glitches, not so funny.

Playing as Tails for the first time and actually finding him ENJOYABLE! When he flies he's just as fast as Sonic (in the PS3 version, at least) and he can drop bombs on fool's heads. If the jumping/flying mechanics were fixed up, he'd be even better though (you can't just float in place like other Sonic games, you always move forward).

White Metropolis stage with Sonic. I didn't like the beach levle the first time I played it, and I was still getting used to the controls in the desert stage, so this was the first stage where I really began to enjoy the game. Still one of my favourite levels to replay.

Amy saving Sonic's ass from the fury of Silver. Such an obvious allude to Amy saving Gamma from Sonic in Sonic Adventure 1. Ahh, nostolgia.

The character re-designs, especially Eggman. I can only speak for myself, but I love how the characters look slightly older in this game. And despite every single review I'd read before playing the game, the Sonic cast are NOT AS TALL AS HUMANS! Never have I been lied to so much; in Sonic Adventure the furries were 1/3 the height of the humans, and in Sonic 2006 they are about half the height.

Playing around in the hub worlds for hours, finding all of the silver medals and beating every character's extra missions. So much replay value...

Silver's first level is so much win. His gameplay (while not always precise) is great fun, but it takes a great stage with good level design to really make his gameplay shine.

The actually challenging boss battles! Not since Sonic Adventure 2 had a Sonic game had good bosses until this game (except Solaris, the worst Sonic boss ever). I almost cried when I fought the amazing Egg Dragoon, and not only because I'd spent almost five minutes fighting him just to be killed by his final attack. Every boss was great (except maybe the Mephiles fights), and Iblis was a worthy foe.

The plot. If you don't like this plot, that's fine by me. But PLEASE don't say you'd rather have a story like *shudder* Sonic Unleashed. It's a very "Sonic Adventure" plot, the best kind imo. Plot may not be the most importaint part of a Sonic game, but it sure added a lot to this one.

Amy smacking Silver upside the head for no reason whatesoever. And you all say this game has no sense of humor. I lolled my ass off at this.

And this: Shadow kicking Silver upside the head. Once again, lol, lolcity, and lollapolooza.

How violent the game is! But it's not over-the-top "I'ves got guns bitches an I keel you damn damn damn!" like Shadow the hedgehog. My favourite scene in the entire plot is when Omega empties entire clips into Mephiles body.

No, wait... my TRUE favourite scene is when we find out those rings around Shadow's wrists are used to keep his limitless power in check. Very Anime-like twist, calling up images of Dragonball Z (ugh) and Bleach (yay!).

The ending. So sad. If I was a woman, I'd have cried. I suppose it could have been more original (I've seen it in at least one other movie, and probably a few fanfictions), but it did it's job well and remains the single most satisfying ending to a Sonic game imo.

I have plenty more about this game that I love, but I'm tired of typing. Don't forget, this game has some damn serious flaws as well, but I think some fans blow them out of proportion. Still, I completely understand while many people hate this game, even if I don't share their opinion.

I didn't really hate the game at all. The glitches were fairly fun to screw around with. So i'd say, I liked the whole game. It wasn't that good, just, it wasn't that bad.

You get me? I didn't think so.

As much as I love Robotnik, I thought it was great to see him being taken more seriously instead of his "Evil Comic Relief Genius". I would like to see it more often in games, admittedly I wouldn't want him to be serious all the time as that would ruin his charm but occasional moments were he is a believably evil individual without the LOL factor would be nice in the new games.

Yes. I also was able to appreciate his pure eviliciousness. But I found his pregnant lady look spoiled it.

Edited by Erazor

He looked silly, and I couldn't take him seriously. When have I taken him most seriously? Probably during Adventure 2, Sonic Battle and Sonic Chronicles. I mean, anything Eggman builds doesn't just have a system failure, it just doesn't work like that. Eggman probably would have survived the crash anyway though (Chronicles anyone? ;0)

Robotnik survives everything because he is just a genius! <3

Yeah he looked a lot more "eggy" than usual which was unfortunate but personality wise he was pretty spot on.

I didn't really hate the game at all. The glitches were fairly fun to screw around with. So i'd say, I liked the whole game. It wasn't that good, just, it wasn't that bad.

You get me? I didn't think so.

No I get you. One of the reasons I preferred the original Super Mario 64 to the DS remake is that a lot of the fun glitches were removed.

I really don't understand how people can enjoy any aspect of Sonic '06 after Sonic Unleashed's release, which simply trumped it in every possible way. Better graphics, better animations, better controls, better speed, better challenge, better music, better looking cutscenes (CGI and not), it's actually a completed game, love and effort went into nearly every aspect of it, etc.

I really don't understand how people can enjoy any aspect of Sonic '06 after Sonic Unleashed's release, which simply trumped it in every possible way. Better graphics, better animations, better controls, better speed, better challenge, better music, better looking cutscenes (CGI and not), it's actually a completed game, love and effort went into nearly every aspect of it, etc.

Actually, I think Sonic Unleashed is the worst 3D Sonic game. Yeah, it had better graphics ("CGI and not"). But the increase of speed ruined the game to the point that playing it is an excercise in boredom. And you can keep your challenge; I like my side missions to be FUN. Also, I think the music in Sonic Unleashed is complete and utter shit. Don't go stating things like they're fact when they are just opinion. As far as controls, both are flawed but at least you do more in 2006 than hold down a dash button and use the L1 & R1 buttons to dash to the left and the right every so often, stopping to homing attack some enemies every couple minutes. Turning around in SU is like trying to castrate someone with a wooden spoon, and twice as painful.

Yes, Sonic Unleashed is completed and Sonic 2006 isn't. But I'll take my incomplete FUN Sonic 2006 over the complete peice of shit that is Sonic Unleashed anyday. Too bad none of that "love and effort" whent into making an enjoyable gameplay experience.

*This whole post is IMHO, no offense meant to be taken from it. ;) *

Also, I think the music in Sonic Unleashed is complete and utter shit.

It's better than most the Rock themes in the series, IMHO. :P

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

better looking cutscenes (CGI and not)

No, they don't look better. They are far less detailed. Just look at this (SNG) and this (SU)

..And you're saying su's CGI scenes are better?!

The only good thing about SU's opening is that it is loooooooong(Longcat is looooong LOL^^).

P.s. Sonic unleashed's NON CGI scenes look better though..

post-254-1236628895_thumb.jpg

post-254-1236628911_thumb.jpg

post-254-1236628928_thumb.jpg

post-254-1236628940_thumb.jpg

post-254-1236628946_thumb.jpg

post-254-1236628952_thumb.jpg

post-254-1236628957_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArtFenix

That's because 06 aims to look realistic, of course the CGI will look better, Unleashed is more cartoony on purpose.

Oh, and for me, '06 was plain frustrating. Tails sucks ass, Knuckles sucks ass, playing as them is just a complete CHORE, climbing walls is very glitchy, etc.

The only section of 2006 I can genuinly have fun with is the speed stages with Sonic or Blaze. Plus the loading stops any of the town missions being any fun at all.

Actually, I think Sonic Unleashed is the worst 3D Sonic game.

What? But surely you have evidence to support why it's worse than Sonic 2006! What argument do you have to back this up?

Yeah, it had better graphics ("CGI and not")

Go on...

But the increase of speed ruined the game to the point that playing it is an excercise in boredom.

I hardly call blazing fast response times and multiple pathways along with quick dodging and a trick system boring. Unless you want to include the Werehog.

I think the music in Sonic Unleashed is complete and utter shit

Back your statement up, otherwise music enthusiasts such as myself will tear you to shreds for calling one of the biggest and successful efforts to add a taste of every culture around the world, along with the inclusion of a famous band aside from Crush 40, and the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra in a Sonic game "complete and utter shit."

I like my side missions to be FUN.

Enjoy your bland hub worlds with barely any characters to talk to and loading screens out the wazoo. I didn't think loading screens were fun, but okay, whatever suits you.

Don't go stating things like they're fact when they are just opinion.

I'll agree with you on this, but some of the things he said can be proven true.

As far as controls, both are flawed but at least you do more in 2006 than hold down a dash button and use the L1 & R1 buttons to dash to the left and the right every so often, stopping to homing attack some enemies every couple minutes.

And in Sonic 2006, you press forward and let go of the controller to watch Sonic go through loops on his own.

Turning around in SU is like trying to castrate someone with a wooden spoon, and twice as painful.

And actively playing Sonic 2006 is like castrating your own father with hot iron and a dull knife, either way you won't have children.

Yes, Sonic Unleashed is completed and Sonic 2006 isn't.

Yup.

But I'll take my incomplete FUN Sonic 2006 over the complete peice of shit that is Sonic Unleashed anyday.

Wow. Sorry you hated it so much. But do you really need to compare a Sonic game to human excrement? Hardly mature. Be glad you aren't forced to enjoy Sonic Labyrinth.

Too bad none of that "love and effort" whent into making an enjoyable gameplay experience

At least not to you.

This whole post is IMHO. no offense meant to be taken from it

Maybe you should put that first before the harsh generalizations you threw up there, otherwise I wouldn't have snapped so quickly. -_-

Edited by Indigo Rush