Awoo.

Star Wars

They'll revisit the whole 3D re-release thing in time, but probably not until after the new trilogy is completely done and dusted with spin-offs on the way. So, perhaps a decade from now.

A shame that the 3D ones have been cancelled. I know it's a gimmick but I've always wanted to watch all the films on the big screen.

Methinks Disney asked Lucasfilm to halt work on the 3D rereleases not just because they wanted to free up resources for episode 7 (in fact, the 3D work was largely being done outside Lucasfilm from what I've read), but because Disney would rather release 1-6 themselves once FOX loses their rights in 2020.

After 2020, episodes 1-3,5 and 6 are Disney's, which leaves FOX with episode 4. By that point Disney can make a distribution deal and make loads more $$$ on rereleases than they would have had episode 2-6 released normally. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Will Episode IV ever expire or is that one locked with Fox? Kinda curious about that now.

20th Century FOX has the permanent distribution rights to the original Star Wars. (or Episode IV: A new Hope, as you can call it)

Permanent? Are you quite sure about that? I was under the impression that rights expire after a set amount of time and need to be renegotiated or reallocated afterwards.

Permanent? Are you quite sure about that? I was under the impression that rights expire after a set amount of time and need to be renegotiated or reallocated afterwards.

I'm pretty sure it was permanent, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, like others have said, the very least you can say about Abrams is that there is no possible way he can be any worse than Lucas. By which i of course mean current day "has-completely-lost-his-touch-and-thinks-Jar-Jar-is-funny"-Lucas, not the old (or actually more like young) Lucas who wrote some classic movies a billion years ago.

Edited by batson

Disney is wealthy enough to make Fox a pretty sweet deal in regards to Episode 4. They'll buy it from them. Mark my words.

• Thumbs Up 2

Disney is wealthy enough to make Fox a pretty sweet deal in regards to Episode 4. They'll buy it from them. Mark my words.

I wouldn't be surprised then if that is FOX's intentions all along.

I wonder if these Re-Releases will have special enhances like the infamous "Greedo Shoots First" or the Return of the Jedi "NOOOOOOOO!" enhancement?

Maybe some hidden Mickeys or some Goofy Hollers! wink.png   

So having recently watched the prequels I pretty much come to the same conclusion nearly everyone else drew(bland characters, overuse of action, etc.), but one thing in particular that stood out in it's awfulness was how Anakin's character is written. Instead of coming off as a heroic Jedi who was seduced by the Dark side, he comes off as this unlikeable whiny douchebag. It's only until ROTS that the writers suddenly remembered that he was a good guy we were supposed to sympathize with, though how they expect us to relate to a character who murders women and children is quite baffling.

Also his stupidity is something too but Redletter Media already ranted about that.

I agree about Anakin, he could have been much better written. And since Phantom Menace was more focused on Obi-Wan, Anakin basically had 2 1/2 movies instead of 3. 

Back to The Clone Wars again, man was this one good. Sidious has been my favourite Sith lord for a while and he did not disappoint. 

-R.I.P, Savage Oppress. You were a badass that I could sympathize with more than I ever could for Maul. The Nightsisters' magic left his body as he died, so hopefully the afterlife will treat him better.

-The whole Maul and Savage/Sidious duel was amazing. Loved the part where Savage sent Sidious flying off the balcony, and retaliates by pulling the brothers down with him.

-I half-expected Maul to take Savage's staff once he died instead of dual wielding with the darksaber, but he probably wanted to respect his brother's death.

-Sidious' lightsabers were also given the unique SFX treatment. His faster swings sound like the turning wheels of a runaway train.

-Sidious does not kill Maul?! DUN DUN DUN. My guess is he will rebuild Maul and make him a low-ranked assassin, much like with Starkiller in TFU's dark side ending. That could explain why Sidious uses only one lightsaber in ROTS and TFU. 

-Interesting reference to A New Hope when Obi-Wan landed on Mandalore. He was also using his Rako Hardeen disguise from last season's bounty hunter arc.

-Satine's death scene and Maul and Obi-Wan banter leading up to it was very powerful. Obi-Wan lost his true love to the dark side just like Anakin will.

-Bo-Katan was revealed to be Satine's sister, probably foreshadowing big things for her in season 6.

-An interesting detail that was pointed out in theforce.net's reviews of the past two episodes, Mother Talzin's whisper in the background. It's subtle but I think it's been in nearly every scene with Maul here.

-Wonder how Talzin will react to the brothers' defeat.

According to Wookiepedia, next arc is a 4-parter putting Ahsoka on the run for being wrongfully accused of murder. She's going to team up with Asajj Ventress part way through. This should be interesting, especially since both of them are at risk of dying. Oh, and we may see 1313 too.

Edited by Toothpaste
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's only until ROTS that the writers suddenly remembered that he was a good guy we were supposed to sympathize with, though how they expect us to relate to a character who murders women and children is quite baffling.

That's because you're not looking deep enough. I can relate to Anakin a whole lot because just like him I've been excluded and held back from achieving things due to other people being either fearful or jealous of my potential. And just like him I've determinedly pursued things which are expected to be out of my reach.

Anakin Skywalker is the reason that I love Star Wars so much. He is almost like a virtual reality incarnation of me, but with more bloody twists applied. tongue.png

I don't want for his profile to be changed or altered in any way.

Edited by 188DarkRevived
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's because you're not looking deep enough. I can relate to Anakin a whole lot because just like him I've been excluded and held back from achieving things due to other people being either fearful or jealous of my potential. And just like him I've determinedly pursued things which are expected to be out of my reach.

Anakin Skywalker is the reason that I love Star Wars so much. He is almost like a virtual reality incarnation of me, but with more bloody twists applied. tongue.png

I don't want for his profile to be changed or altered in any way.

Problem is that the prequel movies never showed how he was being held back during his training (in fact we don't even see any of his training which IMO is the biggest missed opportunity in the films). I never got the impression that he was the great and noble Jedi friend of Obi-Wan who was seduced by the dark side. Instead since the prequels have no sense of subtlety whatsoever Anakin is written as a bad apple right away and his personality is so grating, irritating, and unlikeable character that I never found myself sympathizing with him when he did turn evil.

They should've made a high quality live action mini-series set between episodes 1 and 2, then 2 and 3, detailing his early training, his development, his growing frustrations with the Order and his feelings of being held back.

But doesn't the Clone Wars series already elaborate on this whole training thing somewhat?

Only from Episode 2 onward. Anakin's pre-Clone Wars training is only ever expanded upon in the EU, in some of the most boringly written books I've ever read.

But doesn't the Clone Wars series already elaborate on this whole training thing somewhat?

Not really when TCW starts Anakin is already a Jedi Knight, however the way he's handled there is much, much, better than in the PT. For one we actually see this supposed friendship between him and Obi-Wan that we didn't really see before. He's also IMO a much more likable character and a skilled and powerful warrior and instead of becoming evil all of a sudden his fall to the dark side is much more subtle and gradual and even in instances where he goes too far ( force choking Poggle, killing an unarmed man who was about to blow up the ship he was on, etc.) I find them more interesting and believable than in the prequels.

But enough prequel bashing. Can we all agree that the latest ep of TCW had the best lightsaber fight in the series?

• Thumbs Up 3

Not really when TCW starts Anakin is already a Jedi Knight, however the way he's handled there is much, much, better than in the PT. For one we actually see this supposed friendship between him and Obi-Wan that we didn't really see before. He's also IMO a much more likable character and a skilled and powerful warrior and instead of becoming evil all of a sudden his fall to the dark side is much more subtle and gradual and even in instances where he goes too far ( force choking Poggle, killing an unarmed man who was about to blow up the ship he was on, etc.) I find them more interesting and believable than in the prequels.

^There's proof right there that both the prequels and TCW are intended to be treated as one unified whole rather than being judged separately and exclusively. It's analogous to how the BigMac at McDonalds can only be considered an authentic sandwich if it has an actual burger inside the bun and soaked up in that special sauce. wink.png