Awoo.

The Assassin's Creed Topic - Vive les assassins! Vive la France!

Speederino

I'm not saying the worlds and eras would get old quickly. I'm saying the constant release of games would have me probably loose interest.(it's starting to happen now but it is still got things I'm liking). Anyway, the way I see it, 5 assassins from different eras with each getting 1/5 of the spotlight seems like it is enough to explore each of the lives of these assassins.(depending on the length of the game. Plus DLC could extend each character.). This could give the game the opportunity still have all that conspiracy stuff. But if we did it your way,(one spinoff title per era linking to the next) it wouldn't be horrible either. It just means more for each eras time. But I'd still want a Mode afterwards where you can play from the Templars side or something.

It wouldn't be a constant stream of releases, but it could be done in a manner akin to the Infinity Ward & Treyarch CoD games; one year gets a spin-off, the next a 'main' game. That way, the games get more time in development and we'll probably get some better games out of the bargain too.

A game, or series thereof, played from the Templar point of view, would be interesting, but you'd need a very Haytham-like character to make it work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Templars tend to act very condescending and sarcastic towards Assassins,(as we've seen with Haytham and Vidic)so I don't think it would be that hard for them to create another Templar like that.

New Trailer: True Golden Age of Pirates

"The year is 1715. In the Caribbean, desperate sailors with ideals of true freedom assemble to establish the Republic of Pirates. But far from idyllic, their life is brutal, filled with betrayal and debauchery. Here at last are their true stories."

There is plunder to be found here...

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

New gameplay trailer, also shows off Edward's voice actor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it just me or is the statue that comes with the collectors edition just awful? I Edward a giant or is he on a ship for ants?

A minor nitpick I'll admit but still :P

I want that flag though :)

I have yet to see a decent stealth mission.

I'm feeling this way too. I think I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really enjoy the naval missions in AC3. I like running across rooftops, stalking/tailing and stuff like that. The more I see of AC4 the more I think it's going to be primarily about the naval missions...

Yeah....I'm still not interested in this title. Maybe it's this whole pirate theme. Where is my stealth, my awesome story telling, the bitches. This....this is not what AC2 started. This is what I don't want to play. I want my Assassin's Creed back. Not Pirates Of The Carribean with assassins. Unless I see something at E3 that catches my attention, I'm skipping this game.

From the looks of that new trailer I'm definitely waiting till after release to get this one. The lack of stealth missions is disturbing, and whilst I did enjoy the naval missions in AC3 having too many of them could kill the game for me. Not to mention it looks like AC4 won't even forward the main plot much. It just looks like its story is primarily about Edward Kenway. So yah, no day one purchase for me. =|

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-16-ubisoft-forecasts-lower-assassins-creed-4-sales-than-ac3-managed-this-past-financial-year

Ubisoft thinks the Golden Age of Piracy is a stronger theme globally than the American Revolution, but for the sake of being "prudent" has forecast lower sales for Assassin's Creed 4 than AC3 managed this past financial year.

Ubisoft did similar for new cross-generational IP Watch Dogs, with CEO Yves Guillemot forecasting that, "We believe the game can perform as well or even better than Assassin's Creed 1 back in financial year '07." Assassin's Creed 1 managed greater than 6 million sales that year. "However," he added, "our target reflects more conservative expectations," although he didn't say what that was.

Can pirates really not beat American Revolutionary politicians?

Assassin's Creed 3 broke the magical 10 million mark during the financial year ended 31st March 2013, shifting 12.5 million copies - a number comprised of shipped boxes and digital sales.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot, during the company's follow-on earnings call, said: "The American Revolution was very appealing for our gamers, and the Golden Age of Piracy may be just as exciting, if not even more. Our targets conservatively reflect lower sales expectation for AC4 than for AC3."

He revisited the remark during the Q&A part of the call: "And to come back to Assassin's Creed 4: In our numbers we expect less than last year, but we are actually pushing to achieve more than last year because we think the pirate segment is a great segment that can generate a lot more on a worldwide basis than was achieved last year. But we wanted to be prudent on our expectations so it can only be a bonus if it comes."

The success of Assassin's Creed 3 - by far the best-selling title in the series so far - rounded off a good year for Ubisoft. Breakout success Far Cry 3 has now shipped 6 million units, and stalwart best-seller Just Dance 4 shipped 8.5 million.

Next year, Ubisoft expects even more, with AC4, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Watch Dogs heading the list.

"We will also be delivering one unannounced franchise and one unannounced new brand," said Guillemot. "Both titles have a strong potential and we will unveil them during the course of the year." If only there were a major gaming event just around the corner...

On top of that there's Rayman Legends and the newly signed South Park: The Stick of Truth, both of which are "highly anticipated by a very engaged and committed community", apparently.

"All-in-all we believe our line-up for core gamers offers significant growth opportunities for this year."

--------------------

Lowering sales expectations for AC4 is a good idea, in light of the financial gaming climate and the fact that AC3 kind of sucked..

"We will also be delivering one unannounced franchise and one unannounced new brand" I wonder what they could be?

On top of that there's Rayman Legends and the newly signed South Park: The Stick of Truth, both of which are "highly anticipated by a very engaged and committed community". Highly anticipated by a very frustrated community due to the delay in Legends being released!

I still don't feel excited about AC4.

Edited by -Bender-

• 2 weeks later...

AC4 developer diary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n26WWnJXatE

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/30/4380408/the-sun-never-sets-on-assassins-creed-4-development-says-new-dev-diary

"One of the things we always kind of laugh about is every minute of the whole week, somebody somewhere in this world is working on Assassin's Creed 4," says game director Ashraf Ismail. While it can be difficult to work with someone you've never met face-to-face, whose personality you don't know, the Ubisoft developers say that it's quite something to watch a global team unite around a game's vision.

"It's incredible when you have so many employees, and we're talking hundreds," says Ismail, "when they all believe in the vision and all push behind it, the results are spectacular."

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

Okay I have a weird question.

Do these games have nude women?

'Cause I hate that shit in video games but I'd love to try this series.

There's a small 'sex' scene in Brotherhood, but you don't see anything 'naughty'. It's just a couple of cut scenes and you can skip them if you wish to.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's also a similar scene near the start of AC2, but it's a QTE and you can choose whether or not you undress your girlfriend (you only see the top half of her body and it's from behind). 

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe there is also a really short scene in AC3 with a topless woman. But again, it's really quick and pretty well censored.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay I have a weird question.

Do these games have nude women?

'Cause I hate that shit in video games but I'd love to try this series.

Like others have said, there are some  brief moments but nothing you should worry about. Sex and nudity is actually used pretty well in the AC series, as opposed to the likes of God Of War that just embarrassingly shoehorn tits in for no reason.

Can I ask why you have a problem with this exactly? I can understand hating the god of war style (I do myself) but I'm not opposed to sex/nudity in general as long as it's there for a reason and helps push along the story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like others have said, there are some  brief moments but nothing you should worry about. Sex and nudity is actually used pretty well in the AC series, as opposed to the likes of God Of War that just embarrassingly shoehorn tits in for no reason.

Can I ask why you have a problem with this exactly? I can understand hating the god of war style (I do myself) but I'm not opposed to sex/nudity in general as long as it's there for a reason and helps push along the story.

I'm not opposed to nudity in video games as long as it's done in James Bond-like fashion (subtle, no private parts shown).

As for sex... I'm okay with it if it's off-screen and mentioned later on or something like that but I really, REALLY don't want to 'play it' (I'm looking at you God of War >:U).

BTW thank you for all replies. I'll definitely pick up AC1 when I'm done with my current backlog.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well this is escalating. The series creator who got the boot recently is suing Ubisoft for $400,000 in damages and the rights to 1666.

I think just about everyone saw that coming.

"When Desilets first left Ubisoft to work for THQ several years ago, Ubisoft tried to sue THQ to prevent other employees from also switching sides. Ubisoft lost that battle, but managed to re-acquire Desilets, his team, and the 1666 game they were working on, when it bought out various THQ studios following its rival's collapse."

That makes it sound like Ubisoft hated THQ and Desilets, and acquired THQ just so they could eliminate the competition. Difficult to see Ubisoft coming out of this in a good light. 

Edited by -Bender- Super King

I find it very difficult to believe that any judge or jury could find in favor of Ubisoft, because it's quite obvious what the company is doing and it looks downright malicious. I hope that Desilets wins this case, because Ubisoft has to be made painfully aware that it cannot just run roughshod over anyone it pleases.

It does look quite a calculated move on Ubisoft's part. It almost seems personal. :s

• Thumbs Up 2

Reading that article really makes me want Desilets to win this case. That 1666 game sounds intriguing and I want Desilets and his team to continue working on it without those a-holes at Ubisoft spoiling things for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, including Black Flag, Ubisot apparently has THREE Assassin's Creed games in development right now.

In an interview with Kotaku, Yves Guillemot revealed that the company is planning so far ahead in order to avoid franchise fatigue.

"We are making sure the teams who are creating the different iterations have enough time—two years, three years, so that they can take risk and they can change the concept enough so that it can be appealing and fresh," he said.

Their commitment to making sure each one stays fresh is a nice sentiment at face value, but you know what would REALLY keep the franchise from getting stale? Not milking it for yearly releases >:U

Really, can we just let it rest for two or three years? I really don't want Assassin's Creed to end up like, say, Guitar Hero.

Edited by Speederino