Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't. In fact, I think the man is incredibly overrated.

Well then honestly, and I hope you take no offense to this, but that's your own problem, not one of the narrative's; Eggman is the main antagonist whether you like it or not and that means he's going to be the primary threat the protagonists face. That's not a narrative problem, at all.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

How in the blue hell is Eggman "overrated" anyway? I swear, everytime people call something overrated, it like they hate people liking what they don't.

Well he did just say he didn't like Eggman. Its very easy to say something you don't like is "overrated" which is a subjective term in itself.

I don't.

Wait, I don't understand. So, you don't like unique and individual characters?

Wait, I don't understand. So, you don't like unique and individual characters?

He doesn't like Eggman and finds him overrated.

Well he did just say he didn't like Eggman. Its very easy to say something you don't like is "overrated" which is a subjective term in itself.

And I wanna know why. Him not liking Eggman isn't what I'm calling out, its calling him overrated (a term which has practically lost all meaning to me) for being really liked.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Well then honestly, and I hope you take no offense to this, but that's your own problem, not one of the narrative's; Eggman is the main antagonist whether you like it or not and that means he's going to be the primary threat the protagonists face. That's not a narrative problem, at all.

Whatever. I'd still rather have more than just two sides in the main conflict.

How in the blue hell is Eggman "overrated" anyway? I swear, everytime people call something overrated, it like they hate people liking what they don't.

He's overrated because when you get right down to it, he isn't really as great as people say he is.. I don't care if anyone likes him or not.

Whatever. I'd still rather have more than just two sides in the main conflict.

Except Eggman isn't the only villain...

He's overrated because when you get right down to it, he isn't really as great as people say he is.. I don't care if anyone likes him or not.

Ya know, telling people a character isn't good would be a lot better if you actually bothered to say why he isn't good.

You know, looking back at previous arguments, it makes sense why he kept ranting against the notion of Eggman and Sonic being the only two necessary characters whenever I brought it up.

When I get right down to it, he really is as great as people say he is, otherwise they wouldn't be liking him as much in the first place. He didn't become an icon out of a vacuum.

Your dislike and impression of him is an outlier to that.

He's overrated because when you get right down to it, he isn't really as great as people say he is.

How so, exactly? You can't just use a loaded term like that and not explain why you think so.

When I get right down to it, he really is as great as people say he is, otherwise they wouldn't be liking him as much in the first place. His popularity didn't come out of a vacuum.

Your dislike and unimpression of him is your own issue and an outlier.

No, he isn't. If he really was that great, Sonic would be dead by now. 300 IQ, remember? His popularity stems partly from seniority, but mostly from his personality. Now would you stop attacking my opinion?

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I'm one who's aware of how great he is, but still don't really care about him at all.

Ooh, that's an unpopular opinion! Write me down for that one. 

No, he isn't. If he really was that great, Sonic would be dead by now. 300 IQ, remember? 

Arrogant and act's like a child, remember?

You're practically making excuses to look for justification here. There's a thing you need to know about fiction that doesn't dictate that a genius should automatically kill and beat the hero, as he has weaknesses along with his strengths like every other character. That's entertainment for you; who's gonna be entertained by the villain killing Sonic because he's smart and wrapping it up that way? Or are you demanding a permanent downer ending over that 300 IQ of his?

His popularity stems partly from seniority, but mostly from his personality.

Hence why people call him great and consider him an icon.

Now would you stop attacking my opinion?

Then stop giving it. You're putting it out for discussion.

I don't care. I didn't come here so people could tell me I was wrong. I came here to defend E-122-Psi's opinion, which I am in full agreement with. If you guys can't accept that my opinions are valid, I have nothing more to say to you.

Edited by ElectroKyurem

If you guys can't accept that my opinions are valid

Dude, you just seem to have a problem with people disagreeing with you. I don't see how that means we think your opinion is invalid for finding flaws in it.

I don't care. I didn't come here so people could tell me I was wrong. I came here to defend E-122-Psi's opinion, with which I am in full agreement. If you guys can't accept that my opinions are valid, I have nothing more to say to you.

"I didn't come here to be told I'm wrong; I came he to tell everyone that they're wrong!"

Really, though, if you're going to post an opinion, at least have the decency to be prepared to either give a rational argument when it's debated or resign from the conversation altogether.  Your accusations of members "attacking your opinion" for expressing their disagreement aren't exactly helping your point. =/

Anyway, I disagree with the notion that Eggman is overrated or that his popularity stems from seniority.  The concept of an evil genius has always been a popular one, and his dialogue is arguably the best-written in the series.  Especially more recently where they've toned him down a bit.  As for the claim of "he should have been able to kill Sonic because he has an IQ of 300,"  Some of the smartest people in the world can't figure out how to control basic principles of nature, so you can imagine how hard it must be to stop something that clearly isn't exactly a normal specimen.

Furthermore, intelligence alone does not equate to success.  What is intellect without a reasonable level of brawn as well?  What is intellect without vision?  What is intellect without the personality and self-motivation to do anything?  Nothing but a number based on a standardized test of questionable validity.

• Thumbs Up 5

Furthermore, intelligence alone does not equate to success.  What is intellect without a reasonable level of brawn as well?  What is intellect without vision?  What is intellect without the personality and self-motivation to do anything?  Nothing but a number based on a standardized test of questionable validity.

In summary, smart people can screw up too.

Strengths and weaknesses; it's not like anyone's perfect.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just wanted to support what E-122-Psi said, that's all! I didn't mean for it to get out of hand!

.Compare this to the games or Sonic X where the characters are often shown with some element of ambition in their life outside of their fight with evil and some of their 'slice of life' moments at the very least have potential to be entertaining. As said take the Chaotix for example, we get some sort of thrive in their lives in such medias, they want money, they want fame (they even have a subject of envy in Sonic X to compare their goals to), Vector even has a crush in the anime he is driven to impress. In the comics they're just sitting there, waiting for Knuckles to give them the call to take action. Some can accuse the former medias of being more silly and unrealistic, but in the end I think they result in fuller characters.

The only problem is sonic x and Archie sonic have two very different settings.

Personally, I'm one who's aware of how great he is, but still don't really care about him at all.

*gasp* how dare you have an opinion in an opinion thread I'm telling

Well, just so you aren't alone, I can see why people like Sonic, but I personally don't really care for him all that much. I think it is mostly a combination of the fact that his personality doesn't appeal to me (somehow a cocky hero who up until recently didn't really seem to have any flaws that weren't informed or underused, or suffer any real setbacks or undergo that much development, although others will say otherwise depending on interpretation), and the fact that the potential for his underdeveloped, but potentially more interesting friends who will likely not be developed until I'm 6 feet under/ever tend to steal the spotlight in my imagination.

I think the reason why some people give Colors a lot of fleck is because they are tired of stupid sonic stories. But I think story shouldn't be the most important thing in a sonic game. I think game play is the most important thing and if you are having fun.

Edited by MegaMonster54

I think the reason why some people give Colors a lot of fleck is because they are tired of stupid sonic stories. But I think story should be the most important thing in a sonic game. I think game play is the most important thing and if you are having fun.

The only problem with that mindset is that a good story often coincides with the prospect of having fun.  That being said, I know what you're getting at and I agree that gameplay should be considered first and foremost, but there's no reason why they shouldn't aspire to have a well-thought-out story on top of it.

But I really don't have any problems with Colors' story aside from the fact that some plot points were completely inconsequential so eh.

I think story should be the most important thing in a sonic game. I think game play is the most important thing and if you are having fun.

...these sentences directly contradict each other.

Really, the story has never really been that important to me, more like the character interactions are what really sells it for me and the story is more like an added bonus. Unleashed has been the only one to deliver both and lost world had some pretty good character interaction and dialogue but as long as the game is good the story really doesn't matter but if this was an RPG than even with some good gameplay, without a compelling story then it wouldn't really compel me to replay it but sonic isn't an RPG, he's a platformer.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only problem is sonic x and Archie sonic have two very different settings.

As said before, I see that, I'm just saying I don't like the setup for Archie as much.

I think I've started a mini war here.

I just tend to think that a lot of the 'darker' more mature interpretations of the series are overrated and actually don't place much more depth and life into the cast than just add a tint of pretentiousness to the whole thing. I actually find a lot more personality in the wacky antics of the cast in the games and Sonic X than I do in their constant exposition and work focus in Archie. Archie even tried to add casual stuff  at times but it doesn't work out at all (what sort of life do Bunnie and Antoine have for example, they spend most non fighting spotlight making gooey eyes at each other or sitting in their cosy home not really doing anything interesting whatsoever, would you call that a full character).

I just tend to think that too often the strategy for 'developing' a character in the more serious works is actually diluting all their quirks and ambitions so they just fall in line and are another generic obidient worker, they don't even contribute in a unique way, they just follow orders and fight in a generic manner. That's not adding character, that's taking it away. I don't get how people go on about how the comics have improved the likes of Amy and Antoine and Sally. Sure they weren't exactly brimming with depth in previous incarnations, but at least there was a basic character in there with specified quirks and ambitions, not just another set of hands you could interchange with any other character and it wouldn't make a single difference.

Well, just so you aren't alone, I can see why people like Sonic, but I personally don't really care for him all that much. I think it is mostly a combination of the fact that his personality doesn't appeal to me (somehow a cocky hero who up until recently didn't really seem to have any flaws that weren't informed or underused, or suffer any real setbacks or undergo that much development, although others will say otherwise depending on interpretation), and the fact that the potential for his underdeveloped, but potentially more interesting friends who will likely not be developed until I'm 6 feet under/ever tend to steal the spotlight in my imagination.

At least Lost World used some of his potential, showing his shortcomings in a very characteristic manner, in fact that one game I feel has done more positive development on Sonic than the likes of Archie have in twenty years with it's gratuitous backstory and inconsistent jerkass balls.

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 1