Awoo.

What is the all-time worst Sonic game?

Bright Eyes

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn eboni, that was tight. I can't say I'm offended, because I try to respect all opinions, but wow, you got me.

Worst, for me, is Sonic Labyrinth, CHRIST. I'm a technical point of view, I think 06 is the worst of all the franchise. It's an unfinished game and most of what the game has to offer went deeply wrong.

Edited by Jango

Really?

ohmy.png

Then I suggest that, you know, you should focus on your own love for the game and stop letting other people's negative views on it perturb you? Seriously man, you're way too oversensitive about criticism towards Colours.

Umm not really, I wasn't really being serious with that post. Though you are pretty right in the criticism regard, so ill tone it down.

For the record, I very much love Colours. It's one of my favourite games and it has such a unique tone for a Sonic game with it's lighthearted writing and distinct feel and imagination. But I'd be lying if I said that it has much of a lifespan. I don't find myself motivated to go back to missions because so many of them are so short and a lot of them are so linear. And those missions are the meat of the game because as a whole it isn't a "expansive" game.

That's it's only true shortcoming though IMO.

For me, Colors (or Colours, british fellows), is a time-killer game. You don't play it for hours, you normally play some of the main levels and then exit the game.

Edited by Jango

I don't like Colors either, but I wouldn't call it the worst Sonic game ever, but opinions, so eh.

Alright, I'll be honest, there's only one Sonic game I truly hate:

cover_large.jpg

I just don't like anything about this game. At all.

I hate the art style; everyone is lanky as hell and proportionally off. I hate the story: most characters are out of character and it feels too similar to the Archie Comics (it feels like it was written by Ken Penders), the writers didn't seem to do enough research on the characters and the stories from the previous games, etc. The character models were hideous- even by DS game standards. The animated cutscenes looked like cheap flash cartoons. The gameplay was downright boring and tedious- even confusing and frustrating many times. Most of the Boss Battles are painfully long, drawn out and over powered- except for the final Boss, who's literally just a laughably short QTE fest. Most of the sound effects (except for the 16-bit ones) were downright hilariously odd and unfitting (Shadow the Turkey, anyone?), and the music is so bad that it makes Sonic 4's OST seem godly in comparison (imo). Seriously, I find this game just painfully bland, boring and soulless as a whole. No offense to the people who like the game, of course. Just my two cents.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir
  • Thumbs Up 3

Generations Classic Sonic is not nearly as simultaneously terrible and popular as CD Sonic, so I'm more likely to not take stock in Generations gameplay bashing.
Generations Classic is far worse and far more popular than it has any right to be...

Sonic3D.jpg

Eh...?

I don't particularly like 3D, but... why? What makes this worse than like 06 or Sonic Blast?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I'm totally curious now.

It's not everyone's cup of tea for frankly very obvious reasons, but 3D Blast is my own Sonic guilty pleasure.

>Complains about too much platforming in a Platformer series and it's still fast paced and faster than Mario

I mean, it's fine that you hate Colours, but......really?

That was the issue for me. It wasn't fast paced. By default it was faster than Mario, but I didn't feel that exciting sense of speed I normally get in a Sonic game. Sometimes, the speed isn't always there. Sonic CD doesn't have the thrilling sense of speed Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles has, but I ADORE the level design. It's weird, colorful, and all around fun. Colors had some of the most boring levels I've ever seen in Sonic. How the hell do you have boring levels in a game that takes place in an amusement park? o_O

Speaking of which, why weren't there more theme park elements? There was a ferris wheel and a roller coaster. I think you run past some tea cups in Sweet Mountain. Why not be in the tea cups? A water slide in Aquarium Park? Jumping on cotton candy in Sweet Mountain? Or run from the Ferris Wheel like in the DS version? Or maybe a centripetal force ride? The could have been cool.

3D Blast is fully playable and has pretty awesome graphics and great music. While it is wonky playing at that angle, it is not broken by any means.

Is it a great SONIC game? Well, if you mean Sonic game in terms of the rules and gameplay found in the Sonic 1-3&K titles or the main series 3D games, then no it is not a good "Sonic" game. But it is a great sequel to Flicky, in fact, that's what it is! My take on 3D Blast is that they misrepresented it in the marketing. They really should have pushed it as "Sonic & Flicky: 3D Blast" or something. Basically say it is Sonic in a isometric 3D Flicky sequel. Not that it's a 3D Sonic game. That implies it is trying to be what Sonic Adventure was striving to be, but it's not.

It's Flicky gameplay with Sonic stage progression. As that, it's a pretty great game.

• Thumbs Up 2

While not the all-time worst, dishonorable mention goes to Sonic Heroes. Or more specifically the PS2 version. I'm not sure how, but it feels like it controls worse than the Xbox/GameCube version. The graphics are much worse with the jittery(and sometimes even scrambled) textures on the floor, glitches that I don't think were present in the other versions such and running through springs and into a bottomless pit during a scripted section in the swamp level(this happened to me TWICE), and the specials stages... were these even beta tested(though this was probably a problem on all the versions).

Add that to most grievances with the game already(Enemies taking multiple hits to kill, levels going on forever, stopping to switch, having to play through the same stages 4 times, etc) and yeah...

Sonic3D.jpg

Eh...?

Seriously? Sonic 3D is a good game! in fact I think it is the best spin-off title in the series. The Saturn version is vastly superior but currently unavailable so play the PC port instead and you will appreciate this game a lot more.

I'd say Labyrinth.

But it's actually a trick question - the answer is Blast.

I've only ever played the "BEAT THE FINAL BOSS" demo from Gems, but what I played was just a jumbled mess of WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING with a bunch of nasty sprites.

Feast yer eyes on the port that's worse than Sonic Genesis:

SONIC BLAST FOR THE SEGA MASTER SYSTEM:

Seriously, you guys wanna know which game G-Sonic and this amazing port were trying to rip off with their graphics style?

Donkey.

Kong.

Country.

Yeah. G-Sonic was released 2 years after Donkey Kong Country. There's a REASON Sonic's shoes belonged next to the trash bin in Cranky Kong's top three video game heroes shot. Sega...wasn't really...smart thing...after their success with S3&K.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Colors is actually very weak in many aspects. But you still have those terribad 3D games that came out before it that are much, much worse.

Sonic Unleashed.

Because it tries to be what it's not.

It's not a Sonic game, it's just a game featuring Sonic.

Same goes for 06, and a bunch of other games in the series.

Dude, Sonic Unleashed is NOWHERE close to being the worst game in the series.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dude, Sonic Unleashed is NOWHERE close to being the worst game in the series.

You're right, it isn't the worst game in the series.

It's the worst Sonic game in the series.

You're right, it isn't the worst game in the series.

It's the worst Sonic game in the series.

If you're going for the "it feels the least like a Sonic game" then I'm gonna disagree and go with Shadow or 06 anyway. At least Unleashed had the colourful vibrant style that the games are known for instead of the grey and more grey Shadow (with about 3 colourful levels which are still muted deliberately as it is) and 06 where everything has a really dull colour.

I do feel Unleashed is still a bit too realistic in style, but it fits the series more than Shadow or 06. Same concept, different execution.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 6

Saying Unleashed is just a game featuring Sonic implies it isn't Sonic-like at all as a game.

The werehog side? Yeah I'll give you that. But the daytime gameplay is TOTALLY Sonic. I can't imagine that kind of gameplay with any other character. Maybe like... some kinda parkour game, but... still the crazy speeds and airdiving stuff would conflict with that, along with the more puzzley platforming from the secret stages.

If Unleashed isn't Sonic, then neither is Colours or Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

Saying Unleashed is just a game featuring Sonic implies it isn't Sonic-like at all as a game.

The werehog side? Yeah I'll give you that. But the daytime gameplay is TOTALLY Sonic. I can't imagine that kind of gameplay with any other character. Maybe like... some kinda parkour game, but... still the crazy speeds and airdiving stuff would conflict with that, along with the more puzzley platforming from the secret stages.

It shouldn't default to being a Sonic game just because you can't find some other character you associate it with. And even if it fits the character traits that doesn't mean it follows logically from the gameplay that came before.

If Unleashed isn't Sonic, then neither is Colours or Generations.
Ok.