Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

Holy shit, they didn't ignore the first game! I just got a letter from mail Toad to Luma that was obviously from Rosalina! She was wishing a safe return back to her for the Luma who was left behind in Galaxy 1. So I guess the story really is that Rosalina reset everything and she's the only one who remembers the events of the first game. It goes against the grand finale galaxy of the first game but since that was just a little unlockable extra I guess they're ignoring it, which is fine by me.

Is this what you guys were going spoiler tag crazy over? Simple yes or no will do. If there's more please DON'T tell me, finding that out while playing was so awesome. It's such a little thing but it just added so much more enjoyment for me knowing

Rosalina wasn't written out of Mario history!

:)

No theres more to it than that.

This is the 13th 10/10 score the game has received. There are as yet no sub-90% scores. At the very, very least, this game is going to be an immensely strong contender for Game Of The Year 2010, and with competition like Zelda, Red Dead, Metro and others out this year, that really is saying something.

The event is hosted by Spike, so it probably won't win ;_;

?!

I got the game at around 9:00 AM and I've been playing it all day. I'm about 30 stars in and I've been avoiding the spoilers in this thread like the plague. However seeing YOU flip out over the rewards and secret stuff hidden away in the game is making me very curious. Is it really that great?

No. Not at all. Sorry, but it's the truth. It's cool, but not as much as some people are making it out to be.

No. Not at all. Sorry, but it's the truth. It's cool, but not as much as some people are making it out to be.

Ignore him, he's a witch.

oh sorry that should have a 'b'.

j/k

But seriously, they are pretty awesome. The whole game is. Have I mentioned this is the most fun I have EVER had with a Mario game? It is.

have I mentioned that it makes the first Galaxy look like a pile of flaming shit? it does.

have I mentioned that it is my second favorite video game ever even with my 2 hours of play? just below sonic 2, which is there only for nostalgia? it is.

DID I MENTION HOW IT IS MADE OF HAPPINESS.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm having so much fun that it doesn't really matter how great/good/okay/lame the 120/240 reward is. :) The comet stars are so awesome!

currently lolling at how everyone who originally said that this game looked like nothing more than an expansion pack, how Miyamoto knows how to make a good sequel but not a great one, etc, are currently going fucking nuts about how awesome this is

I wish I had the cash to buy it now, and/or wasn't taking pesky finals, regents, and SATs. :( Come summer though, I'll have it.

currently lolling at how everyone who originally said that this game looked like nothing more than an expansion pack, how Miyamoto knows how to make a good sequel but not a great one, etc, are currently going fucking nuts about how awesome this is

I wish I had the cash to buy it now, and/or wasn't taking pesky finals, regents, and SATs. :( Come summer though, I'll have it.

Well when you lie about your game's story, and say that it's just a rehash of Galaxy 1 people tend to not be as happy.

he seems to have forgot to mention the gameplay, level design, touched up... well, everything, and how fucking AWESOME Yoshi is.

oh and he forgot how cool Starship Mario is. yeah, could be bigger and better, but for a such a little tiny thing it does it's job wonderfully and it just feels right with the new level movement.

Yep...19 long exam-filled days.

Holy fuck, I was avoiding spoilers till today, but. That level is just. Holy <3

You know I still dont think of it any much different, except that the difference in this case is that said sequel makes the original looks like an expansion pack prequel in comparison.

I still can't bring myself to enjoying Galaxy because of technically one flaw that only in turn creates bigger ones, but so far Galaxy 2 seems to have rectified and stilled all my worries and instead brought the kind of game I was hoping for ever since Super Mario Galaxy was confirmed. So yes I still think of it as what it was, a glorified and massive expansion pack, except that this time its performed the way it should have been from the start, and looking alot better at that. The only reason I didnt look forward to it at first was because with the first trailer it seemed like it was building too much onto the stuff that made me dislike Galaxy, but with time that's been changed.

That and it's been time and time confirmed again that the game started off as a Super Mario Galaxy 1.5, how do you not think people will take note of that?

Edited by Columind

Is this what you guys were going spoiler tag crazy over?

Not really.

Look back at my post history (if you can be bothered) and you will see I have never had a problem with the idea of it being an "expansion pack", and part of me still believes it's little more than a stage pack, but that's ok because it's clearly a fucking amazing one nonetheless!

You know that a few of us had disappointments with things other than gameplay, the things we're excited about have almost nothing to do with the gameplay itself, just the goodies surrounding it.

Besides I was the one loling at NSMBW when I was right about it.

Edited by SuperLink

By the way: http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

Galaxy 2 is currently ranked as the second-best game of all time, behind (obviously) Ocarina of Time. I wonder if it'll stay up there.

Wow, it's become that highly ranked already? I suppose it must have, with all those perfect scores flooding in... :o

At this rate it could even overtake Ocarina of Time! I mean, it's got 11 reviews less than it so far and only 0.3% difference. Could this really become the new best game ever?

Intrigued, I am.

By the way: http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

Galaxy 2 is currently ranked as the second-best game of all time, behind (obviously) Ocarina of Time. I wonder if it'll stay up there.

Wow that list is so wrong, GTA IV the fourth best game of all time? Mario Galaxy the third!? Really?

Wow that list is so wrong

Technically, it's 100% correct. GTAIV is so high because so many reviewers gave it perfect 10s, remember that?

Yes GTA was highly ranked cause of how many reviewers praised it. How many more sites does that site tracked that hasn't rated Galaxy 2 yet? Im wondering if it has enough to beat Zelda... :blink:

Technically, it's 100% correct. GTAIV is so high because so many reviewers gave it perfect 10s, remember that?

Yeah and that's cockshite. GTA is riddled with design problems all over the board. I was incredibly disappointed...but I have to say Read Dead restored my faith in Rockstar. Galaxy meanwhile is almost flawless in execution and deserves some sort of high spot up there. Just goes to show you reviews shouldn't always be taken seriously.

But damn. I can already taste the quality. I ordered from Amazon because they were giving out $20 credit and free 2 day shipping with the Prime membership trial...so go go go postman! I can't freaking wait. I got way too pumped up on the music and set up our extra sound system and my room specifically for this game (and a playthrough of Dead Space which I keep putting off...)

I seriously think reviews shouldn't give the game a perfect anything until the game has been out for awhile (maybe a year or so) I can understand some developers want reviews to try the game to better sells but still.

Reviews are just someone's opinion at the end of the day. If you don't think that the game is a 10, then it's not a 10.

In their defense, however, if you made them wait a whole year, then they would be irrelevant. They exist to sell games (and to start arguments in comment boxes). People want to know about the game they've been waiting for and whether or not it's worth buying. I mean, if every outlet is throwing perfect scores at a game, then you should probably go buy it, no?

Jeez, this is the first Mario game I've missed a day 1 purchase of, yet it seems to be the best one yet. Exams can suck my balls, I'm getting this the second all my prom after-parties n' shit are done with, this just sounds so cash and what I've played of it was absolutely grand, I'm assuming it only improves after World 1?

Its out already? Been awhile since I bought a Mario game. I already can tell I wont be disappointed with this.

Wow. :blink:

I just encountered the first Prankster Comets, and they weren't kidding when they said this game was harder. Now, you may think I'm exaggerating, seeing as they were always hard later on in SMG1, but these made me die in the Speed Run of the FIRST LEVEL IN THE GAME.

Also, Purple Coins+Slide=my first Game Over of SMG2.

Though it didn't help that when they started appearing, I'd collected each comet medal in each Galaxy I had visited so far, so it was a shower of Prankster Comets.

I don't know if there are any One Piece fans here but there was this one galaxy that had a straw hat on the wall that looked exactly like Luffy's. I forget the name of the galaxy (I'll check and edit later) but I remember you had to stomp grates on the ground to flip from one side to the other. I know it's not a big deal but as a One Piece fan I got a kick out of it.

Getting pretty far now, 80+ stars in. I haven't been having too much trouble but every now and then I hit a mission that completely kicks my ass......in a good way though. I'm loving every second of it! Also some of the new boss fights are really fantastic.

Edited by speedfreak

You people are rushing. I'm gonna do every star I can do in every world before I go to the next to "savor" the game.

(Off-Topic: It's getting wierd seeing Sinnoh & Hoenn together on the "*insert # here* are reading this topic XD)

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, well, here goes nothing. Before I get destroyed for saying this keep in mind I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade, but I did not enjoy Galaxy 1. I liked it better than Sunshine, but thats not saying a whole lot. Visually I enjoyed what I was looking at, same with Sunshine, but in the gameplay department both didn't quite fulfill the need that was left after Mario 64 (which imo is the best, and only great 3D Mario platformer). However I've been hearing a lot of good about this game and I want to know - just what makes this game better than Super Mario Galaxy 1? Is there anything that maybe even someone who didn't really enjoy the first one could find some good enjoyment with this second one? I didn't play a whole crapload of the first one I'll admit, I usually was leeching Wii time at my friends house and then when I'd go down to my Dad's place before coming to college, I'd play the Wii there. But the first one just didn't feel right to me and I didn't want to keep playing it. I just didn't really like the level design and I didn't care much to play through them. From what I've seen this is more of the same, though I will admit the 2D Portions look better than New Super Mario Bros Wii (Which was alright...but not worth the full amount of cash, played it with my cousin at his friends house for a while one day).

So yeah, I might possibly have a job soon and if I do I'm thinking on picking up a Wii to round out this generation of consoles after a few paychecks (mainly for No More Heroes 1 and 2, Madworld, and possibly Okami), and I'd really really like to be able to enjoy a 3D Mario title.

I'm guessing the best/most sound advice here would be to just rent it first? I don't rent games anymore, I usually purchase because generally I know what I like. But I'd need help on this one :P.