Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

Holy Crap! Rosalina!?

And to think I thought they would just forget about her! Thank you Ninty for that little fanservice!

...Umm, damn. I forgot what else I was going to say...oh well. :lol:

Just something I noticed while playing 'Tall Trunk Galaxy' just in case nobody has mentioned it yet...

Zelda references! The little 'wood sprites' named the 'Whittles' worship and protect a big tree!

:lol:

I'm 54 stars in so far (had plenty of time to play it while my 3D assignment has been rendering.) =X It's fantastic, everything one would expect from a Mario Galaxy 1.5 style title.

Luigi unlocks after you can access the 'Haunted Halls' galaxy I noticed, not necessarily once you've gotten 20 stars. You need 20 stars to access this Galaxy, mind you. Comets start appearing once you've hit 30 stars too I think, with a comet appearing at every level you've collected the 'Comet Coin' from. Nintendo improved the mail toad a lot- you get lots of different mail now rather than simply from Peach only! It's mainly useless stuff, but good fun they've given it more uses.

Edited by bolt7

So i've just seen Grandmaster Galaxy on Youtube.

Insane.

Just watched it too. I was expecting the final star to be like SMG1's, but I'm genuinely impressed

I didn't expect SMG2 to have so many surprises right up to release, I'm at a point where I can almost admit this sounds better than SMG1.

- I'm almost happy with the plot from the final scenes alone, it's far more plotty than any 2D Mario still

- Rosalina is in it afterall, in the ending, even though I had given up all hope

- Luigi is fully playable

- The Final Galaxy looks pretty fukken awesome

- There are 240 Stars in the main game

- The music is incredible

- The hub looks pretty fun, probably not much worse than SMG1's, if not better.

I still would have loved another playable character, and the hub could have been much better (a la SMG64/Sunshine), but man, many of my disappointments were almost dispelled by other things I've seen just within the last few days. To say I'm pleasantly surprised with the final game is an understatement.

That'll teach me to be so pessimistic about such a huge game. I'll have a little more faith in Nintendo in the future. Just not when it comes to 2D Mario.

Now bring on the European release T_T and you guys playing it right now make sure you have fun.

I still would have loved another playable character, and the hub could have been much better (a la SMG64/Sunshine), but man, many of my disappointments were almost dispelled by other things I've seen just within the last few days. To say I'm pleasantly surprised with the final game is an understatement.

That'll teach me to be so pessimistic about such a huge game. I'll have a little more faith in Nintendo in the future.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts, too. Never for a minute was I not going to be buying the game on release day, but some of the recent revelations have made me extremely hyped for it now.

Good things come to those who wait, it seems :P

Just bought it. I'm up to world 2 now. It's fun and definitely more challenging, but it doesn't exactly have the same level of grandeur as the original Galaxy, but, then again, I only just started.

Damn all of you who have the game already (or will be getting it shortly). I am very much suffering a case of the green eyed monster - Modern Sonic jealousy.

I'm going to head to GAME soon to re-preorder the game... why, you ask? I already have a preorder slip for Galaxy 2 but I did it so long ago (pretty much straight after it was announced) it's kinda faded away now... that and I need an excuse to go in and buy another Nintendo Points card.

19 days to go, UK/EU chaps. It's gonna feel like a looooong wait. :(

Yep...19 long exam-filled days.

OH. MY. GOD. :o

So not only does Rosalina appear in both the normal and 120 star endings, but she also shows up to present you with the final star... and then joins you on the Starship Mario?! Wow.

If that isn't an incentive to continue on right to the end, then I don't know what is.

Rosalina has gone from having nothing to do with the game to being the narrator of the story AND your reward for completing the game on three separate occasions! And you know what I say to that?

Best reward ever! :D

Edited by Doctor MK

IT'S LIKE THEY RIPPED IT DIRECTLY OUT OF ONE OF MY DREAMS!

Gotta agree with MK.

:lol: Best reward ever!! :D and that final stage looks fucking insane!!

Thank you Nintendo T_T

The game just gets released today in the U.S. and people are already looking for cheats instead of enjoying the game? :o

People are already HD-ifying it too?

My god there are some sad people out there, I'd be too busy enjoying the damn game instead of farting around with this crap.

I don't really see how looking for cheats and "HD-ifying" a game can qualify as being sad. I mean, if that's true, then a hell of a lot of people are sad and have nothing better to do while playing a game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really see how looking for cheats and "HD-ifying" a game can qualify as being sad. I mean, if that's true, then a hell of a lot of people are sad and have nothing better to do while playing a game.

You misunderstand, I don't mean sad in general I just mean the game has only JUST come out and these people have nothing better to do than perform those meaningless tasks instead of enjoying the game itself? Surely these are things people do AFTER they get bored of the game at least a week or 2 down the line, not so many hours into release day? I still can't get over the fact that people have all 241 of the stars already.

You misunderstand, I don't mean sad in general I just mean the game has only JUST come out and these people have nothing better to do than perform those meaningless tasks instead of enjoying the game itself? Surely these are things people do AFTER they get bored of the game at least a week or 2 down the line, not so many hours into release day? I still can't get over the fact that people have all 241 of the stars already.

There's 242 stars, actually :P

And yeah I agree, this game seems absolutely huge so I dunno why people would be more interested in crazy glitches and HD tests than the game itself. But each to their own, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

IT'S LIKE THEY RIPPED IT DIRECTLY OUT OF ONE OF MY DREAMS!

Gotta agree with MK.

:lol: Best reward ever!! :D and that final stage looks fucking insane!!

Thank you Nintendo T_T

?!

I got the game at around 9:00 AM and I've been playing it all day. I'm about 30 stars in and I've been avoiding the spoilers in this thread like the plague. However seeing YOU flip out over the rewards and secret stuff hidden away in the game is making me very curious. Is it really that great?

Damn all of you who have the game already (or will be getting it shortly). I am very much suffering a case of the green eyed monster - Modern Sonic jealousy.

I'm going to head to GAME soon to re-preorder the game... why, you ask? I already have a preorder slip for Galaxy 2 but I did it so long ago (pretty much straight after it was announced) it's kinda faded away now... that and I need an excuse to go in and buy another Nintendo Points card.

19 days to go, UK/EU chaps. It's gonna feel like a looooong wait. :(

Take solace that you're not poor old Australia, at least? I just got back from Gamestop about an hour ago with my copy. Much more challenging that Galaxy 1, and more engaging due to that.

?!

I got the game at around 9:00 AM and I've been playing it all day. I'm about 30 stars in and I've been avoiding the spoilers in this thread like the plague. However seeing YOU flip out over the rewards and secret stuff hidden away in the game is making me very curious. Is it really that great?

Maybe not that great, but I'm impressed by the weirdest things, as I'm sure you guys all know by now.

Nice surprises though :D

I mean if you'd seen my posts on the previous page you would have seen...

That'll teach me to be so pessimistic about such a huge game. I'll have a little more faith in Nintendo in the future. Just not when it comes to 2D Mario.

Nice surprises everywhere!

EDIT: No idea why I put that in spoilers.

Edited by SuperLink

?!

The entire game is a wondrous cake of amazing, wrapped up in a coat of awesome, with sprinkles of sweet dreams and beautiful women.

And then every single one of the extras is like that, except more like a cupcake.

Gamespot review: here.

Some Gamespot guy replying to criticism of the score:

That's such craziness I don't even know how to respond.

We take a 10 seriously. This is only the 7th game in this site's history to receive one. The entire reviews team had a very long discussion about this game. And the fact of the matter is, SMG2 could not have been meaningfully improved. It is one surprise after another, one new trick after another, one gleeful section followed by one even more gleeful than the last. The review spells it all out. This game is constantly surprising, constantly entertaining. It is filled with variety. You never know what is in store for you, what slice of beauty will next be served up. What makes it special is that it DOESN'T rely on nostalgia to be good. It is pure fun in video game form--an essentially flawless stream of delights and joy, with no problems of note to distract you from its awesomeness. It is in our minds the most utterly refined platformer ever created--so astounding that it is hard to imagine how it could be built upon.

That's a 10. Amazing is amazing. It happens to be a Mario game, but that's beside the point. SMG2 is impossible to dislike and impossible to put down. But you know--you could read the review. That's the part everyone seems to miss.

This is the 13th 10/10 score the game has received. There are as yet no sub-90% scores. At the very, very least, this game is going to be an immensely strong contender for Game Of The Year 2010, and with competition like Zelda, Red Dead, Metro and others out this year, that really is saying something.

:wub::wub:

• Thumbs Up 2

Picked up my copy earlier today. I absolutely love it so far. Yoshi is a really fun character to play as, and I'm glad that he is included a lot more in this game. The gameplay and soundtrack are just as great as the first game.

Holy shit, they didn't ignore the first game! I just got a letter from mail Toad to Luma that was obviously from Rosalina! She was wishing a safe return back to her for the Luma who was left behind in Galaxy 1. So I guess the story really is that Rosalina reset everything and she's the only one who remembers the events of the first game. It goes against the grand finale galaxy of the first game but since that was just a little unlockable extra I guess they're ignoring it, which is fine by me.

Is this what you guys were going spoiler tag crazy over? Simple yes or no will do. If there's more please DON'T tell me, finding that out while playing was so awesome. It's such a little thing but it just added so much more enjoyment for me knowing

Rosalina wasn't written out of Mario history!

:)