Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

I think nepenthe that you should do Wind Waker next, if you didn't mind the Sky from SS then you'll love the great sea and all it's secret islands. However for combat, you will feel the rest of the series possibly too basic after SS. After WW you should OoT or MM next. Are TP and SS really your only zelda games?

It seems like I never use my Gamecube anymore, so I think I'll pick up Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. 

After I pick up TTYD that is.

I think nepenthe that you should do Wind Waker next, if you didn't mind the Sky from SS then you'll love the great sea and all it's secret islands. However for combat, you will feel the rest of the series possibly too basic after SS. After WW you should OoT or MM next. Are TP and SS really your only zelda games?

I loved the sky portions in SS. Flying on the Loftwing was inherently fun; very fluid to control once you got the hang of it. Slaloming lazily through the air or dashing down for the clouds against that theme music is awesome. I'll be more forgiving in mind for the combat of the rest of the series; SS is unique in that regard, so to expect that same experience of the other games would be unfair.

And yep, SS and TP are my only Zeldas. People were making this big ol' fuss about SS at a time when I felt I needed to expand my comfort zone (platformers and shooters) and get more mileage out of my Wii, so I just dived in. Loved it and felt the need to buy TP immediately, so now I'm officially hooked and pretty much working my way backwards through everything I've missed. xD

Just going to say this now: You are going to fucking hate Ocarina of Time. 

Why would she hate it? It's still a pretty awesome game...

Why would she hate it? It's still a pretty awesome game...

But movement and combat wise, it's so basic and slow paced. I can't imagine anyone who started with SS and working their way down getting into it.

I loved the sky portions in SS. Flying on the Loftwing was inherently fun; very fluid to control once you got the hang of it. Slaloming lazily through the air or dashing down for the clouds against that theme music is awesome. I'll be more forgiving in mind for the combat of the rest of the series; SS is unique in that regard, so to expect that same experience of the other games would be unfair.

And yep, SS and TP are my only Zeldas. People were making this big ol' fuss about SS at a time when I felt I needed to expand my comfort zone (platformers and shooters) and get more mileage out of my Wii, so I just dived in. Loved it and felt the need to buy TP immediately, so now I'm officially hooked and pretty much working my way backwards through everything I've missed. xD

Good, then the sea will have you exploring for secrets for hours on end.

And I think what Wraith means is that you will find OoT to be the most Bland/basic of the 3D zeldas if you play them backwards like this. I don't think MM will disappoint though, especially if you love sidequests and making a connection with NPCs. I would like to hear the opinion of someone that plays OoT in this generation and after the other zeldas though.

Well, it all depends just as much on the context that the game presents around itself as it does the context of the series as a whole, doesn't it? I've known for awhile that Zelda can be pretty inconsistent by way of its art and gameplay design choices. What's unique to one game may not necessarily be passed on to the sequel. Even despite my lofty expectations, I still eked massive amounts of enjoyment from TP in the end and don't regret purchasing it at all, and indeed, my issues with it pretty much came down to the fact that it was simply different from SS and not necessarily some glowering train wreck of a game in its own right. TP's still pretty damn awesome because its overall design works well within the context of itself as a single game; so what if Link's a bit slow? With that said, I'm still quite eager to play the rest of them, differences and all. x3

Well speaking as someone currently playing Ocarina of Time, I really don't find it that slow, at least compared to TP and WW. It's actually pretty fun. I just hate going through the hub, especially as a Child, it's so fucking tedious.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually find the child roaming through Hyrule Field kind of....we'll.....magical.

You were stuck in a dense forest at the beginning of the game, but then when you exit the forest you have this large expanse of a world open up before your eyes. The first time you experience this, it's a feeling like any other.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 3

I actually find the child roaming through Hyrule Field kind of....we'll.....magical.

You were stuck in a dense forest at the beginning of the game, but then when you exit the forest you have this large expanse of a world open up before your eyes. The first time you experience this, it's a feeling like any other

You know what's really magical?  The first time you set sail in the Wind Waker and the

kicks in.  Before that, you were just a grandma's boy who got a free ride with a bunch of pirates.  Then you were grounded in Windfall, where you had to work a little bit to get yourself a sail.  Then you finally take off, and you stop being a grandma's boy and start being a true adventurer.  You quickly come to realize that the sea is absolutely massive and full of opportunity and treasure!... ok maybe just treasure, but the sea is fucking awesome regardless.

I like Wind Waker a lot, in case anyone was wondering.

Edited by Pinkamina
  • Thumbs Up 2

You know what's really magical?  The first time you set sail in the Wind Waker and the
kicks in.  Before that, you were just a grandma's boy who got a free ride with a bunch of pirates.  Then you were grounded in Windfall, where you had to work a little bit to get yourself a sail.  Then you finally take off, and you stop being a grandma's boy and start being a true adventurer.  You quickly come to realize that the sea is absolutely massive and full of opportunity and treasure!... ok maybe just treasure, but the sea is fucking awesome regardless.

I like Wind Waker a lot, in case anyone was wondering.

Don't get me wrong, Wind Waker is godly perfection in every sense of the word. I was just speaking in the context of OoT.

You were stuck in a dense forest at the beginning of the game, but then when you exit the forest you have this large expanse of a world open up before your eyes. The first time you experience this, it's a feeling like any other

But there's NOTHING to do, I'm not against hubworlds and all, but the magic kind of dies when there's nothing interesting in it. The Great Sea was more fun to transverse, if only because of the overworld theme.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wind Waker is hard to recommend due to how expensive it is. I'd cross my fingers for a digital re-release.

Wind Waker is hard to recommend due to how expensive it is. I'd cross my fingers for a digital re-release.

I'm still pissed my Mom got rid of that shit, I fucking loved that game.

It's not been digitally re-released? Th'ell?

Granted, my friend says that she has an original cartridge, but has teased me by saying "If I haven't beaten it, then you can't play it at all." I'll probably be taking it off her hands with enough whining soon.

Most 3D Zelda games are easily obtainable today except Wind Waker, which has only seen light on the GC and nothing else. At least TP had a Wii version that was recently put out for a budget price. It's a shame because it's easily one of my favorite Nintendo games despite me not being a huge Zelda buff, I would certainly buy it again if it received an HD make-over a la Okami HD.

I think a re-release would be just fine, Wind Waker never struck me as a game that needs an HD makeover.

I think he means more like a high quality upscaling, which is what Okami HD basically is. I wouldn't mind that because, those lovely painting like graphics would look even more beautiful in a higher resolution.

You'd have been lucky even if it was missing the case, manual, and half of the disc label, with "WIND WAEKR" written on it with permanent ink.