Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

I'm really happy this Wind Waker HD remake actually looks legit true to the original look and so much better at the same time. The character models don't look messed up or tampered with and the atmosphere looks even more inviting. Unlike what they did to Ocarina of Time's remake changing everything and ruining the original feel of the movements, models and atmosphere.

My favorite Zelda game is getting an HD remake. This is everything I had wished for, I cannot wait. First day purchase!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm really happy this Wind Waker HD remake actually looks legit true to the original look and so much better at the same time. The character models don't look messed up or tampered with and the atmosphere looks even more inviting. Unlike what they did to Ocarina of Time's remake changing everything and ruining the original feel of the movements, models and atmosphere.

....How did OOT 3D change everything? Hell, how did it change anything at ALL?

I'll admit OoT did have a few changes that felt significantly different from the original atmosphere-wise (especially towards the end of the game) but overall I think it's a fantastic port and only people who played the original to death would ever be bothered by the changes.  I'd always recommend it over the original to newcomers to the series.

gamzeldaootwatertemple530.jpg

Edit: Keep in mind this post is partly a joke with the 'fixing' of the boots mechanic.

Edited by Autosaver

Looking at those screenshots with some ZREO in the background

Oh man, Nintendo, please redo the music. Just like this. 

Please.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh god, I just remembered something about Wind Waker.
As amazing as it is, I really hope this means Nintendo's gonna fix-

The Triforce Shards Hunt
3324.the_5F00_triforce_5F00_of_5F00_capi

I mean I use guides for games whenever I get stuck, so this is no problem for me
But I pray for those who never use guides.

What is there to fix?  The only crappy part of that is that there's no real warning that you're gonna need a crapton of rupees to get them deciphered (it is vaguely hinted at by Tingle telling you to go find the Fairies when he gives you his chart - I have found through my playthroughs over the years that as long as you get the wallet upgrades as early as possible, generally playing the game, along with how many rupees the triforce chart-related mini-dungeons throw at you, gets you pretty much exactly the amount you need by the time you finally get them deciphered).  The only way it'd be utterly confusing is for players who completely missed Tingle back on Windfall Isle (which to be fair wouldn't be an outlandish thing to do at all, he's quite tucked away).

I still enjoy the Triforce Hunt.  A lot of the mini-dungeons/islands and such are pretty fun.  Though I admit it is a very Majora's Mask-esque feeling where it's at its most fun once you already know what you're doing from experience.

Edited by JezMM

I feel like the issue with the triforce hunt is that it feels almost like a huge interruption in the game and just doesn't flow well. Up to that point the focus of the game was the dungeons, then suddenly it sends you off on the lengthy quest to find charts, to find shards, especially to muster up the rupees to pay Tingle, and it feels like it slows things down. In and of itself I love that portion of the game - it's a lot of fun and a great chance to explore the Great Sea - but in the game overall I don't think it quite fits as well as it could have. 

• Thumbs Up 6

If I didn't have the guide I would've not known what to do after beating the wind temple. That triforce thing wasn't explained very well in-game. This year is the 10th anniversary. So cool. I remember I had to preorder it with my dad since it wouldn't come out in time for my birthday. I remember going to the mall with my dad after a school day to pick it up. You were supposed to get a free copy of masters quest with the preorder, but the guy didn't give it to me, and I was too shy to ask about it. But man playing the game at the time it came out was just breathtaking. It had such a newness to it. And everyday I couldn't wait to get home after a shitty day at middle school to play it. I also loved seeing the toonami review of it on cartoon network.

Wind Waker's sound quality does feel kind of compressed. I wouldn't mind if they spruced it up.

With OOT3d remake, they actually had to redo the music, but Koji Kondo heavily supervised his team to emulate that N64 sound. I read it in the Iwata Asks interview. i was happy he was involved like that.

I'd also love to see new content in WWHD. The ability to skip cutscenes which the original didn't have which really made multiple playthrus annoying. New dungeons etc.

The original has a look that I don't think they replicated very well on the port. With Wind Waker, I think since it's cel shaded and on gamecube it's much easier to get the original feel as well as make it look even better. OOT I feel is much more difficult to do. Plus I really hated Link's new animations and the softer, less badass models for him and some of the important secondary characters.

OoT 3D's design was actually based off the original handrawn design for Ocarina of Time. In that sense, it's actually more accurate than the N64 graphics were.

• Thumbs Up 6

OoT 3D's design was actually based off the original handrawn design for Ocarina of Time. In that sense, it's actually more accurate than the N64 graphics were.

I know it was based on the original illustrations, but I still don't like the end result of the models. More polygons doesn't mean it's better. They had limited polygons for the N64 models, but they were still able to produce a nice end result. I think the limitations of the 3ds are the cause especially with a big game like this. Or the lack of effort on the modeler.

By the way it's not just this game, I also didn't like the way they modeled him in Melee (young and adult). Only Soul Calibur 2 came the closest to making him look badass and truest to the illustrations.

Did you play OoT at the time?  Because I've had several friends say that the original models look distractingly angular these days.  A softer update was most certainly needed for a remake.

I agree the animations take some getting used to, but again that's just another thing that is only an issue compared to the original.

To be honest the only thing that bothered me in the remake of OoT was the removal of all blood (not that big a deal but I hoped at least the blood textures would remain in the Shadow Temple, they were really awesomely creepy) and the way they dulled the colour scheme of the Spirit Temple.  It used to have this wonderfully warm but not overwhelmingly bright orangey brown colour scheme, but they reduced it to a sort of grey-ish brown colour scheme in the remake for goodness knows what reason.

Only Soul Calibur 2 came the closest to making him look badass and truest to the illustrations.

180px-Soulcalibur2.jpg

oot-link07.gif

They don't really look that much alike to be perfectly honest. the OOT 3D model mimicked the art way better.

Edited by Wraith

Damn those eyes and the softness in that Soul Calibur Link render...  Looks more like he's ready to go hit the beach to play some volleyball to unlock some sexy swimwear.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't think there's going to be a load of new content in the Wind Waker remake, but I'm hoping they go the OoT 3D route and put inventory on the Game Pad, maybe even the whole HUD so we can play the game in HUDless HD glory. Add some optional gyro controls for first person weapons as well, alongside the graphical overhaul and I'll be pretty damn happy.

• Thumbs Up 2

180px-Soulcalibur2.jpg

oot-link07.gif

They don't really look that much alike to be perfectly honest. the OOT 3D model mimicked the art way better.

I never liked the high res renders for a lot of the characters in soul calibur. The in-game models (which are completely different) look way better.

Did you play OoT at the time?  Because I've had several friends say that the original models look distractingly angular these days.  A softer update was most certainly needed for a remake.

I agree the animations take some getting used to, but again that's just another thing that is only an issue compared to the original.

Yeah I did play OOT when it came out. But even today I think they look really good especially for N64. Obviously they needed to be redone for the remake but overall they could've done a much better job.

And the animations aren't just an issue compared to the original. I don't think they look very natural in general. Kind of floaty. This problem escalates for me when you become Adult. The animations actually look worse as an adult than as a child. The original didn't have this problem.

180px-Soulcalibur2.jpg

oot-link07.gif

That Soul Caliber render is making think dirty thoughts...and I'm a dude.

I never liked the high res renders for a lot of the characters in soul calibur. The in-game models (which are completely different) look way better.

Yeah I did play OOT when it came out. But even today I think they look really good especially for N64. Obviously they needed to be redone for the remake but overall they could've done a much better job.

And the animations aren't just an issue compared to the original. I don't think they look very natural in general. Kind of floaty. This problem escalates for me when you become Adult. The animations actually look worse as an adult than as a child. The original didn't have this problem.

I....honestly don't see this at all, the colors got brighter in the 3DS remake and overall give it a much more natural tone, and having not even played the original and only watching videos I can tell that. Especially with the Forest Temple.

• Thumbs Up 1

About the triforce hunt, I didn't mind it too much because I had been searching for all of the treasures up to that point and that was basically the same thing. Getting the rupees for Tingle was still very annoying, even if you had the rupee bag maxed out.

• Thumbs Up 2

...ya know, judging from the whole GBAxGC connectability back in the day, think the Tingle Tuner will actually have some use?

As fun as it is, it either would be nerfed on the whole healing and bombing...

Oh, the Tingle statues! Those were fun to collect.

...ya know, judging from the whole GBAxGC connectability back in the day, think the Tingle Tuner will actually have some use?

As fun as it is, it either would be nerfed on the whole healing and bombing...

Oh, the Tingle statues! Those were fun to collect.

I think I only used it once or twice, and only out of curiosity because I just happen to have a GCN cable and my SP. Other than getting a few rupees, it's kinda useless.

I....honestly don't see this at all, the colors got brighter in the 3DS remake and overall give it a much more natural tone, and having not even played the original and only watching videos I can tell that. Especially with the Forest Temple.

You should play the original. I don't think watching youtube vids gives anything enough justice. Physically playing and seeing it on your own tv has a completely different feel. You can download on virtual console. You may prefer some things over the remake.

Just going to say that you shouldn't even bother with the original if you already have the remake. If you have that money to spend then just get Majora's Mask instead.

• Thumbs Up 3

You should play the original. I don't think watching youtube vids gives anything enough justice. Physically playing and seeing it on your own tv has a completely different feel. You can download on virtual console. You may prefer some things over the remake.

Well, recently, I've played through the original (via VC) and to be honest, as good as it still is, the remake totally blows it out of the water.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ocarina of Time 3D is the first time I've ever actually sat down and played that game. I'd played the N64 one once or twice, as well as the VC version and the one that came out on Gamecube via the Wind Waker special edition, but only ever seemed to get as far as Death Mountain before stopping.

Wind Waker was the game that actually got me into the Zelda franchise, and as a result I was absolutely delighted to see that Nintendo are remaking it for Wii U. Yes, I'd much rather have an original game, but it's the one that got me into the franchise...well worth a look.