Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

You also need to relize the amount of people who would love to see Sonic racing people in cars while he's on foot.
How would that work? In order to make Sonic a balanced character, they'd need to make others able to catch up with him which would compromise the uniqueness of his speed and if he was on foot, he'd be very easy to run over by the other cars. :P

How would that work? In order to make Sonic a balanced character, they'd need to make others able to catch up with him which would compromise the uniqueness of his speed and if he was on foot, he'd be very easy to run over by the other cars. :P

Ever played Motorstorm? Sonic would be like a bike. In fact, this game's trailer reminds me a lot of Motorstorm: Pacific Rift intro.

In addition to Joe Musashi (who's horse should have the roughest animation possible for maximum lulz), I also want Outrun guy. Either one, really.

How would that work? In order to make Sonic a balanced character, they'd need to make others able to catch up with him which would compromise the uniqueness of his speed
I don't think it "compromises the uniqueness of his speed" if he's competing with a car. Yes, it's not "speed of sound" Sonic, but how many games have actually tried to do that?

and if he was on foot, he'd be very easy to run over by the other cars. :P
Well, there's a potential balance. Make on-foot Sonic one of (if not the) lightest characters in the game as well as one of the fastest. He'd have the advantage on a straightaway, but obstacles and other racers can knock him way off course.

It's nice to see Seaside Hill again. It's one of the most visually stunning environments in the series. They made a good choice to redesign it as a track. Personally I don't really find any of the other sega characters interesting. Except vectorman, Ulala and Nights. They should bring black doom in the roster. It's noncanon, so cares. I noticed they're reusing the Unleashed/Mario & Sonic character models. I hope they don't continue using these models in future games.... kinda getting bored looking at them in every single new sonic themed game that comes out.

Looking at the trailer. Cheesy as hell. Sonic gets out of a car and hits a missile to save tails. Those cliche cartoon antics are really wearing thin for me. They try to make it seem like the game will be amazing. They always do that with CG. They did it with the tennis game, and the did it with the olympics game. Instead of wasting $$ on useless CG like that, why not put it to use on the actual game quality. If the car physics actually have some effort put into them, that'll be a relief. And while the tracks in the screenshots appear to be nice, they better not surprise us with short 1 minute tracks.

Does anyone see a resemblance with sonic's car and the SA2battle character race cars?

Edited by lounge

Well, there's a potential balance. Make on-foot Sonic one of (if not the) lightest characters in the game as well as one of the fastest. He'd have the advantage on a straightaway, but obstacles and other racers can knock him way off course.

If that's the case the question is though, would he be worth playing as? If he's so easy to knock off course by players and obstacles alike, then controlling him would occasionally be a crapshoot, especially when he falls behind. Yes, Sonic in a car does seem odd, but I don't see an alternative other than all the other players being on foot as well.

It's nice to see Seaside Hill again. It's one of the most visually stunning environments in the series. They made a good choice to redesign it as a track. Personally I don't really find any of the other sega characters interesting. Except vectorman, Ulala and Nights. They should bring black doom in the roster. It's noncanon, so cares. I noticed they're reusing the Unleashed/Mario & Sonic character models. I hope they don't continue using these models in future games.... kinda getting bored looking at them in every single new sonic themed game that comes out.

Black Doom won't be in the game, you saw what S0L said the new line up will make people at Neogaf happy. aka not a bunch of random Sonic characters, it will be a few SEGA characters from each franchise. It's a SEGA racing game, Sonic is just slapped on it so it sells.

You're missing the point of the complaint: "Why would Sega make a game such that Sonic would need to be in a car?"

Here are three reasons why:

1) He runs at 761mph, no car could even make a scratch at that speed

2)He's in an official race, where every other participant is also using vehciles, why he should be an exception is beyond me

3)It's a spin-off

There's no point to a complaint when this isn't fully Sonic's game.

I also love how you make it sound like anyone who doesn't unquestionably accepts that it makes total sense for Sega to continue sticking Sonic in a car/ some other vehicle is automatically throwing a NERD RAGE.

Well a lot of the time it usually is.

You also need to relize the amount of people who would love to see Sonic racing people in cars while he's on foot.

I do realize that, and that's why it's ridiculous. How the hell are you going to have every character in the game on cars, but Sonic is the only one on foot who would more than likely outrace them all before they get 3 feet away from the starting line?

Furthermore why is that even fair for Sonic to be the only one on foot in the first place in an offical racing prix? Any other game where he's not in some official competition it would be okay, but a game like this. No, leave that to a different title.

Next Year: Super Sega Bros All-Stars!

Well, I can't say I'm very surprised that there's a racing game, based on how many other series have their own racing games (Even the Beano!!!), so rather than call it a Mario Kart rip-off (I first thought "Haha" rather than "Rip-off"), I'll just have to do what I always do with new stuff: Wait and see how it'll turn out, with little hopes that things will be better.

this game is going to suck for sure... for sure:(

and you know this.... how exactly?

the whole Sonic is in a car why argument before it even gets started

Oh who the bloody hell cares? Nobody! Mario in real life would have driven a crappy white van not a go kart! But there you go!

To be perfectly honest, I'm kinda disappointed that everyone's in a car. Not just Sonic, but everyone.

But seeing as how the game's now involving all kinds of Sega characters, I guess the only compromise would be to have them in cars. Though I do like how they're not restricting every character to a car, like Tails, and I do hope to see more dynamic vehicles like that.

Since I've heard some good things about Sumo Digital, I'm trusting that they live up to their reputation, cause this is one game they can't fuck up in my eyes.

But not everyone is in a car, Tails was in a plane =)

Anyway, I wonder if this game is going to use the Hedgehog Engine for its graphics, they are pretty snazzy looking. Then again Superstars Tennis had some real pretty visuals too and that wasn't running on it.

Virgo, I could take your post and apply it to a certain other game...

To be perfectly honest, I'm kinda disappointed that everyone's in a kart. Not just Mario, but everyone.

Don't see anyone complaining about that, do you? ;)

I'm not looking forward to this game. Ok, cool, it's a racing game with SEGA characters. Buuut..

A CGI intro. Oh it's great, but it doesn't give me any idea what it's gonna be like right?

Knuckles will not be in it! He wasn't in Superstars Tennis so he won't be in this game either no matter what. That immediately doesn't make me interested in it either.

And, where's my gameplay screenshots? Without them, I'm just not interested whatsoever. Trust me, once this is released it will be a dissapointment. Just like Superstars Tennis. =/

Gabz, it's gonna be on the E3 show floor in less than a week, you'll get your gameplay soon but please have patience.

And do these not count as gameplay?

3573090316_532058728c.jpg

3572284241_73b430fd25.jpg

3572284113_2a739d1e19.jpg

3573090194_edb1069d76.jpg

3572284379_482e99d8cf.jpg

At the very least they're in-engine and give us a good view of what it'll look like.

I know what I'm going to be begging my parents for next year. I was kind of hoping the game was going to be a Sonic Riders 4, but this is better than anything I could have dreamed of. Looks awesome, the music (so far) is awesome, I love the fanservice... now the only thing that remains is the gameplay. If that can hold its part of the bargain, I'm in.

Knuckles will not be in it! He wasn't in Superstars Tennis so he won't be in this game either no matter what. That immediately doesn't make me interested in it either.

Not necessarily. There's been no official confirmation that he won't be in. Granted, he wasn't in Sega Super Stars Tennis, but this game (more likely then not) will have an increased character roaster. An from what the guy said, he appears to have acknowledged that the character roaster for SST wasn't particualry great, and hopes to make amends. In short: Have a little Faith.

Not much of a racing fan, only for Mario Kart, but looks okay, nothing really surprising though. Eh, rather see Sonic be a secret char in Mario Kart, but oh well. Yet don't see why they could have just simply name it Sega All-Stars Racing?

Though it would be awesome if they manage to put him as a secret 3rd party/extra char. Who's him? This is him!:

speedracer1.jpg

Speed vs Sonic! :lol:

Though maybe his extra gadgets built in his car would count as some super move, but idk.

Edited by AdventChild

Here are three reasons why:

1) He runs at 761mph, no car could even make a scratch at that speed - And yet, Sega unflinchingly made Sonic slow enough to be outrun by Bowser in Mario & Sonic. By all canonical accounts, it should be impossible for the majority of the cast of Street Fighter IV to even touch Akuma, but Capcom made him balanced none the less. I see no reason why Sega can't do the same

2)He's in an official race, where every other participant is also using vehciles, why he should be an exception is beyond me - You missed the point: Why would Sega put Sonic into a game where he enters a Gran Prix that requires him to be in a car when they could make a game where he enters a Gran Prix that doesn't require him to be in a car.

3)It's a spin-off That's kind of the point.

Well a lot of the time it usually is. - I saw none of that in this thread, it was unwarranted.

I do realize that, and that's why it's ridiculous. How the hell are you going to have every character in the game on cars, but Sonic is the only one on foot who would more than likely outrace them all before they get 3 feet away from the starting line? - It's a video game, you make it any way you want. It's not like if you call an object "Sonic" the game is going to automatically assign him some kind of massive top speed, or that there's some kind of law that Sonic must have the ability to go that fast in every game he's in

Furthermore why is that even fair for Sonic to be the only one on foot in the first place in an offical racing prix? Any other game where he's not in some official competition it would be okay, but a game like this. No, leave that to a different title.

They should make that game, which, based on a few things that that guy said on NeoGAF, might be this game.

Edited by Phos

Huh.. never did buy the Tennis all star game..

The spin off titles are usually received with "meh" , but I hope it's better than Mario Kart Wii... the good news is that it wouldn't need to try all that hard to be better... Mario Kart Wii sucked.

Can we assume this is the collaboration project Silvers voice actor mentioned?

Pew. Well I've calmed down a bit after I saw the screenshots. -.-; Yes, I am the impatient type..

It's looking pretty neat, but I'm still not quite sure. I mean, I was quite dissapointed with Superstars Tennis, and I fear this will very much end up the same way.

As for Knuckles...I suppose I should have some faith, yeah. Racing games do have a larger roster of characters than tennis ones, so hopefully Knuxie could be shoe horned in there somewhere. I hope so anyway! T.T

Gabz. Don't forget SuperStar was the first in the franchise. It was probably given a small budget and time frame. Then it was a huge success, so big that it got bundled with consoles AND got some sort of sequel with this. Things are going to be different.

Someone was whining about Knuckles not being in Superstar as well (in NeoGaf( and one of the people at sumo hinted that people will be more happy with the cast this time around.

From the Sonic franchise, here's hoping for Knuckles in some kind of device and Shadow in his motorcycle. With these two we won'tneed any more Sonic characters (perhaps Metal) but that's about it.

Edited by redmenace

Virgo, I could take your post and apply it to a certain other game...

Don't see anyone complaining about that, do you? ;)

I already said why I can accept why they are all in cars; seeing as the game is including all Sega characters and just being consistent. I just find cars a bit too generic for the Sega characters. The hoverboards I found very stylish, and quite suited their style and made them stand out more.

Though I do admit, I do like how each vehicle is unique, such as Eggman's monster truck, Samba and Aiai's maraca and banana styled cars respectively, and of course, Tails' plane.

And I have high hopes for more dynamic unlockable vehicles for the characters, such as a real monkey ball for Aiai, Eggman's Egg-mobile, and perhaps the real tornado for Tails. I'm not hoping for Sonic on foot or anything, but if it was in the game, I'd definitely be a sight to see.