Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

Hm, I've watched some gameplay of this and while Sonic being in a car still bothers me somewhat, the game actually looks like it has the potential to be quite fun, I'll keep a casual eye on this one.

How about just enjoying a quality SEGA game from Sumo Digital instead of bitching about why Sonic is in a car? =P

This! It's a video game involving some of the most nonsensical characters in existence, it's no good questioning why the hedgehog is in a car.

Would be nice if he was driving a Ferrari though. That'd make Yuji Naka happy anyway.

Screw you guys complaining about Sonic being in a car. And screw you guys complaining about complaining that Sonic's in a car. I'm going to complain about AiAi not being in ball. See? I'm cool because I'm both following the crowd and being original. Yeah, didn't see that coming, did ya?

Yes, you all sound that daft.

Edited by Blue Blood

How about, GASP, SEGA wanted to make a cart racer. Their that's the answer, stop trying to explain it as if Sonic wouldn't be aloud blah blah blah. SEGA wanted to make a cart racer for their IPs, so they made one, that is why Sonic is in a cart. You don't need to try and make it make sense, like *maybe Sonic just wants to drive* that's stupid, it's just because SEGA wanted a damn cart racer.

Well of course this is the case, but with all these people saying "Sonic shouldn't be in a car; it gives off the impression that they're talking canologically. Me saying that was simply giving them what they want; a canon answer. Sonic likes cars and has done so since his year of creation, so he has no problem driving a car.

Using that argument is a bit like reviewing the lasted romantic comedy by simply stating (for example) "They just wanted to get Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston acting together so they did", but there is actually a whole movie to worry about reviewing. Much like in this situation, people want reasons why Sonic is in a car. (Even though quite honestly they shouldn't need them)

Edited by Tombi

Well of course this is the case, but with all these people saying "Sonic shouldn't be in a car; it gives off the impression that they're talking canologically. Me saying that was simply giving them what they want; a canon answer. Sonic likes cars and has done so since his year of creation, so he has no problem driving a car.

Using that argument is a bit like reviewing the lasted romantic comedy by simply stating (for example) "They just wanted to get Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston acting together so they did", but there is actually a whole movie to worry about reviewing. Much like in this situation, people want reasons why Sonic is in a car. (Even though quite honestly they shouldn't need them)

You can't get a Canon reason for it, because this is a non canon game. That's why my explanation should be just fine, the whole point is just for fun, no explanation is needed.

Edited by Kiljoy

Screw you guys complaining about Sonic being in a car. And screw you guys complaining about complaining that Sonic's in a car. I'm going to complain about AiAi not being in ball. See? I'm cool because I'm both following the crowd and being original. Yeah, didn't see that coming, did ya?

Yes, you all sound that daft.

People can complain about the car if they want to, as consumers they have the right to, and if you said that just because of the fact I mentioned that it bothered me somewhat then...well, can I say over reaction much?

The criticism is tired, and hugely annoying. It's a spin-off and really doesn't matter that much. You're post provoked me to say that, but only because there's been a thousand more like that in this topic alone.

"You're doing it WRONG! No car, shoes only, FINAL DESTINATION!"

:lol:

Heh, well, its not like Sonic hasn't

kart
before.

Anyway, I still think this will be a lot of fun, and its not going to be canon, anyway, so why bother worrying about it? It is quite pointless.

^ You just beated up, spat on, then shiited on the gaming journalists who says Sonic shouldn't be in a car.

^ You just beated up, spat on, then shiited on the gaming journalists who says Sonic shouldn't be in a car.

Not really, Sonic Drift sucked.

So what if Sonic is in a car? Like Blue Blood said, it's only a spinoff! Sheesh. >.< He's been in a car WAY before this game too. Sonic Drift 1 and 2 anyone?

Sonic Drift did suck though.

^ Don't forget SA2! SA is close, though... he was in a -type- of kart, if you wanted to do that (and you need to do Twinkle Circuit to get some emblems, like with SA2's Kart Race).

God forbid people actually try and enjoy the game because it's aesthetically pleasing.

From the screenshots and the teaser trailer we've seen, I'm damn pumped about this. I want to see what other kind of environments we're going to experience. I want to see what other Sega characters are going to be here. I want to see more of those sexy looking vehicles.

Heh, well, its not like Sonic hasn't
kart
before.

Anyway, I still think this will be a lot of fun, and its not going to be canon, anyway, so why bother worrying about it? It is quite pointless.

Those all sucked, so that's more of an argument against Sonic being in a car.

BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T BE FAIR TO THE OTHER DRIVERS IN THE RACE!!

How many times do I have to repeat that?!!! This is why the concept of Sonic in on foot races is so stupid. Mario and Sonic in a footrace?! C'mon? Don't get me started on Sonic R. I'm going to repeat this until I've beaten it into all the head of the stupid "Sonic should be on foot" crowd. Guess what? You're wrong.

Sonic doesn't "need" a vehicle, but he must use one to play by the rules in a proper racing game.

They can make Sonic go whatever speed they need him to to make the game fair.

You know, you're right. Why should Sonic have fun. His only purpose in life is to do everything with his feet. Hell, while we're at it, why not complain about how if Sonic did run during the race, he'd be overpowered and would win every race in no time flat, but after that, lets complain about how characters llike Eggman or Aiai are able to beat Sonic in a race. And why stop there, lets all complain about why soccer players need to kick the ball into the goal when they are perfectly able to just carry it and throw it into the goal, or why Tennis players need to use rackets when they can simply throw the ball into the other players field, or why Volleyball players need to rebound the ball off their hands rather than throw it. They're all perfectly able to do these things but they don't do it. Why do things just for fun and play by the rules when you can easily win with your own abilities.

Why should Sonic have fun.

Why should Sonic have fun? What does the end user glean form Sonic having fun? And what makes you think he (a fictional character O_o) would enjoy racing in a car? I've dabbled in auto racing a bit, and yes it's fun, but if I were able to do that without the car, I'd never go back. Imagine f someone were to have super strength and needed to pull a stump or something. Would it make any sense for that person to use heavy machinery for a job they can do with their bare hands? It's like if Aquaman were to use a submarine.

So many Straw Men, I think I'll pick out a few:

if Sonic did run during the race, he'd be overpowered and would win every race in no time flat, but after that, lets complain about how characters llike Eggman or Aiai are able to beat Sonic in a race.

I love this Straw Man, it's like the Old Faithful of Straw Men!

StopHavingFunGuys

No, wait, that's the Old Faithful of Straw Men! I have never heard this phrase or anything with the same implication uttered by anyone but individuals slandering serious players. Casual play is fun and all, but serious play provides something that casual play never can: an adrenaline rush.

And why stop there, lets all complain about why soccer players need to kick the ball into the goal when they are perfectly able to just carry it and throw it into the goal, or why Tennis players need to use rackets when they can simply throw the ball into the other players field, or why Volleyball players need to rebound the ball off their hands rather than throw it.

A Soccer player who carries the ball is called a rugby player. A tennis player without a racket would loose. If they serve, they would still have to do it from the same line, not having the racket is going to slow down their serve, and the player returning it would be able to send it back to them much faster than they would be able to catch it. If they aren't serving, forget about it. Regardless, this is argument is dodging the point, that Sega shouldn't have made a game that required Sonic to be in a car in the first place.

Regardless, a post from S0l a while back on NeoGAF makes me think there might be an alternate "vehicle" for Sonic that is "on foot".

I also happen to not like Aiai's or Amigo's car. Seriously, a banana was the best you could come up with for a monkey? It makes it look like one of those rides that you put a quarter in and then they kind of shift around for about a minute. Considering that they wanted to use his ball for his Superstar power, I can understand why they didn't make that his vehicle, but a Banana? I probably would have gone with something along the lines of a chibi yellow 1960's formula 1 car. Visually reminiscent of a banana, but not so much that it makes it look silly or impractical. And Amigo's car is a maraca. I understand they were trying to bring stuff from his game in, but I think it would make more sense for him to be driving a low rider, which is basically a car that can dance.

Putting Sonic on foot and forcing him to be balanced raises more questions than putting him in a car, but I guess that's a matter of perspective. One thing I know is that Sonic R wasn't exactly a balanced game and this looks to be.

And Amigo's car is a maraca. I understand they were trying to bring stuff from his game in, but I think it would make more sense for him to be driving a low rider, which is basically a car that can dance.

They'd be worried that putting a Spanish character in a lowrider is some kind of stereotype. Anyways, maracas are kind of his thing.

Edited by Badnikz

Those all sucked, so that's more of an argument against Sonic being in a car.

Sonic being in a car had NOTHING to do with why those games sucked.

They can make Sonic go whatever speed they need him to to make the game fair.

And then people would complain about other slower characters being able to beat on foot Sonic.

Why should Sonic have fun? What does the end user glean form Sonic having fun? And what makes you think he (a fictional character O_o) would enjoy racing in a car? I've dabbled in auto racing a bit, and yes it's fun, but if I were able to do that without the car, I'd never go back. Imagine f someone were to have super strength and needed to pull a stump or something. Would it make any sense for that person to use heavy machinery for a job they can do with their bare hands? It's like if Aquaman were to use a submarine.

Point being, just because he can, doesn't mean he always needs to under any circumstance. What you would do is irrelevant.

Regardless, this is argument is dodging the point, that Sega shouldn't have made a game that required Sonic to be in a car in the first place.

Give me ONE good reason as to why that is, cause the only reason I see is because it would cause a bunch of people to whine endlessly rather than shut up and actually try to enjoy the game for what it is.

I love this Straw Man, it's like the Old Faithful of Straw Men!

That is hardly a Straw Man, Its more of a catch 22.

If he is in the cart, than someone screams about it. If he is out of the cart, then we all get to yell about how his speed got gimped to make it fair.

I haven't checked this topic in weeks and I come back to see people are STILL going nuts over about whether Sonic is running on his fucking feet or not! Holy fucking shit you guys are bananas. It's a kart game, as in characters are racing in fucking karts, it's not a hard concept. I don't mean to fly off the wire here but seriously, is there anything else more interesting to talk about with this game? I'm sure someone has said exactly what I've said in the past pages, but still, I'd love to talk about something other than if Sonic is having fun in a car or being fair to the other racers or it doesn't make sense for him to drive.

Anyhooters, how many playable characters are confirmed if someone could kindly get me back up to speed, 8D? Thanks yous, <3.

-Blur

We have:

Sonic

Tails

Amy

Big

Eggman

Amigo

Aiai

And confirmation of Billy Hatcher through his own track.

Over 25 or so characters total are confirmed to be in the game, and I think there's one other Sonic character that is yet to be confirmed.

Oh and the whole Sonic in car thing just sprouted in the previous page. The rest was all clean.

Virgo seems to think I dislike this game for putting Sonic in a car. I'd prefer he not be in one because it makes better use of his unique traits.

As for Sonic's speed being nerfed, he seems to be moving at about the same speed in this game as he went in Unleashed sans boosting. And putting Sonic in a car doesn't do much to quell that kind of sentiment in the first place (assuming it exists). Sonic's sports car really should be able to outrun most of the competition. Big's little motorcyle seems way too small to move him very well, yet he is still somehow competitive versus the other racers. The handle on Amigo's Maraca car is cantalievered off the rear wheels - that would play havoc with the car's handling at high speeds (In case you didn't notice, I don't think of those as real complaints). I don't think I've ever heard a single complaint about a game being too balanced.

We have:

Sonic

Tails

Amy

Big

Eggman

Amigo

Aiai

And confirmation of Billy Hatcher through his own track.

Over 25 or so characters total are confirmed to be in the game, and I think there's one other Sonic character that is yet to be confirmed.

Cools, so nothing really new then. Wasn't Shadow confirmed to be in this too with his motorcycle of doom, XD? Could have sworn I saw a screen shot with him, =o.

Oh and the whole Sonic in car thing just sprouted in the previous page. The rest was all clean.

And good. I only looked on this page and last page, but I'm glad it only started there, ^^". I seriously thought it was still going on from like page 20 or what ever, O_o.

-Blur

motiv.jpg

See, this is exactly why everyone laughs out our fandom. We aren't allowed to receive something even vaugely different from the norm without a bunch of coked-up morons complaining that they haven't been given their bi-yearly platformer. Not once have I ever seen a man complain about the fact Mario can't jump naturally, or that Crash can't spin at all, in their own respective karters despite the fact that both were the key gameplay features of both franchises. God forbid that Sonic use a kart in a... wait for it... KARTING GAME. The fact that it isn't even a Sonic-based game in the first place is just icing on the cake.

Excuse the arbitary rant and image spam, but I simply can't turn down a slice of Fan Dumb whenever I see it.

Edited by Blacklightning

I see more people complaining about people complaining about Sonic being in a car than I do of people complaining that Sonic is in a car...

See, this is exactly why everyone laughs out our fandom.

It's funny you should say that, because out of every individual I've seen mention this particular pink elephant, the only individuals I've seen actually seen argue in favor of it have been people posting on Sonic sites.

The life you save may be your own

I wouldn't be surprised if I barely play as Sonic, depending on who's in it. I'm mostly just irritated at how much people go off on anyone who has qualms with Sonic (a character known for being particularly fleet of foot) using a car in a racing game. No, seriously, Lukar made one post, and almost the entire following page was nothing but people going off on him and making fun of the idea of not liking Manbearpig Sonic in a car. You have to realize, a crossover racing game made by Sumo Digital is something I've specifically said I've wanted to see happen.

A few admissions, though:

It's easier to get working

It allows for more variety of taunts