Awoo.

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga

pppp

It should be a rule of thumb for any storyteller to ensure that a story is coherent even to those who haven't played/seen an earlier instalment. This, unfortunately, seems to have escaped the thought processes of FFXIII-2's writers

Not just that, the game includes a recap of the events of FF13 chapter by chapter. It has both visual, text/oral recounts of the events... but watching it as someone who played through that game twice (YLOD killed my original save/100% completion) even the recap was confusing.

Is this a joke?

I've just used the PSN+ backup save option to store my FF13-2 save to my online cloud... just to compare things.

FF13 Save file size at 100% completion = 448KB.

FF13-2 Save file size after only 2.5 hours gameplay = 28MB!

What the hell!? How!? Why!? Why is the save file that size after only 2 and a half hours of playing!? And it's not like I've gotten far either since I've been grinding a specific spot so I can get one of the trophies out of the way. I think the largest save file sizes I've ever seen have been between 5-9MB, and thats normally for things like Fallout when you get near the 100% completion mark after beating every quest and having a huge stockpile of weapons/items.

Unless FFXIII-3 actually has a time rewind mechanic like Majora's Mask, the 'time limit' thing is going to be an utterly terrible idea. There's a good reason why very few games actually do that sort of thing. And in a massive-scale RPG like FFXIII? Even more of a shitty idea without the ability to rewind time!

And if it DOES have a rewind mechanic, I sincerely hope it's not just a cheap method of forcing you to replay the same areas over and over again like the Infinity Blade games just to make you grind EXP and cash so you can progress. Oh, who am I kidding, it'll certainly be the case. ARGH.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

What the hell!? How!? Why!? Why is the save file that size after only 2 and a half hours of playing!? And it's not like I've gotten far either since I've been grinding a specific spot so I can get one of the trophies out of the way. I think the largest save file sizes I've ever seen have been between 5-9MB, and thats normally for things like Fallout when you get near the 100% completion mark after beating every quest and having a huge stockpile of weapons/items.

Hah, I think I saw you playing earlier today.

It's gotta be a mix between saving anywhere, tracking a lot of simultaneous stats for non-linear events, containing the autosave slot on top of it and 13-2 being a whole lot less optimized than 13 in all aspects.

Still a far cry from Afrika's ludicrous 400MB save file, regardless. Good luck backing that shit up, lol.

I actually find myself laughing. Too bad, they can't make a FFXIII-4 to make you guys cry more.

So Sazh, Hope, Snow and all the FF13 characters I liked aren't going to be in this game? And I'm going to be stuck with lightning as teh only original character? Welp at least the game looks better than 13-2.

I actually find myself laughing. Too bad, they can't make a FFXIII-4 to make you guys cry more.

Stop giving them ideas.

So Sazh, Hope, Snow and all the FF13 characters I liked aren't going to be in this game? And I'm going to be stuck with lightning as teh only original character? Welp at least the game looks better than 13-2.

The only character from the series I'm going to miss other than Lightning is Sazh.

But I'm really curious on what happened to Hope, Noel and the others. Did they die later because of Caius?

The new worlds are interesting, but I'm just worried about the gameplay. I don't want this to turn out to be a KH-like game. >.>

Stop giving them ideas.

Wish I can man...wish I can. >.> <.<

The only character from the series I'm going to miss other than Lightning is Sazh.

But I'm really curious on what happened to Hope, Noel and the others. Did they die later because of Caius?

The new worlds are interesting, but I'm just worried about the gameplay. I don't want this to turn out to be a KH-like game. >.>

Wish I can man...wish I can. >.> <.<

except KH gameplay is fun.....:( It's a ton better than what Square have given us as of late with their ff games.

I know, if there was an FF13-4 we could all be sat here scratching our heads wondering just why on earth anyone sees any good qualities from this junk.

ut I'm really curious on what happened to Hope, Noel and the others

I'm not even up to that part in the story in FF13-2 yet... I already do not care about Hope.

I think the only one "crying" is you.

I know, if there was an FF13-4 we could all be sat here scratching our heads wondering just why on earth anyone sees any good qualities from this junk.

Not everybody is going to scratch their heads. That's the pointtttt! Especially me. Only pre-FFXI fans will scratch their heads. The game didn't get good reviews for nothing.

I'm not even up to that part in the story in FF13-2 yet... I already do not care about Hope.

Never cared for him either, but I want to just see what happened to him. After that, whatever.

I think the only one "crying" is you.

Me crying? As in upset? If so, noooo way. In fact I'll dance with joy.

I think you're rather upset that the majority of us view the "Lighting Saga" as a travesty, an insult to gamers' intelligence, and an insult to the Final Fantasy series. I'm glad Sakaguchi left if this was their plan for the series.

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 3

Not everybody is going to scratch their heads. That's the pointtttt! Especially me. Only pre-FFXI fans will scratch their heads. The game didn't get good reviews for nothing.

XIII-2 got great reviews for the same reason Sonic 4 did: the critics got what they wanted. They just forgot to do their job and say whether or not it was actually, you know, good.

Seriously, I will never understand what anyone could possibly see in that game. I know a lot of people would say the same thing about me loving the original XIII, but at least there was a good reason behind XIII's linearity. And quite frankly, I'd rather have a well-executed linear game than a horribly-executed "exploration-driven" game. Also, XIII's story was much, much better in basically every sense. Say what you will about its characters, but at least it didn't have Alyssa. Or, for that matter, CHOCOBOCOLINAAAAAAAA~

I don't want this to turn out to be a KH-like game. >.>

...What's wrong with KH when compared to the XIII games?

Edited by T-Man

The only Good thing I can say about 13-2 is its music. And that still is worse than 13.

And yeah, what Tman said about KH like gameplay. What's wrong with it. It's a hella lot better than 13's gameplay.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Wait hold up. I've been out of the FF13 loop after giving up during my FF13 playthrough, but are you people actually telling me that the sequel to 13 has defied all possibility and somehow came out worse?

That.... I can't even believe what I'm hearing.

The only Good thing I can say about 13-2 is its music. And that still is worse than 13.

A place in my heart,

A place in my mind,

A prayer for the souls that are running

• Thumbs Up 3

That.... I can't even believe what I'm hearing.

Try to think of the most stupid moment in FF13 that they wanted you to take seriously... and I raise you this...

Skip to 4:40 and just watch... that is how they travel through time in FF13-2.

Also... I'm at 5 hours into the game.. and I'm still getting tutorial after tutorial after tutorial. How anyone can defend this garbage is beyond me, it's not Sonic 06 bad in terms of technical specs, but in terms of fun and enjoyment, it's probably at the same level, if not worse.

Try to think of the most stupid moment in FF13 that they wanted you to take seriously... and I raise you this...

Skip to 4:40 and just watch... that is how they travel through time in FF13-2.

Trust me, i've seen worst ways to travel time in other media, like the fourth Star Trek movie.

Original XIII cutscenes still remains stupid, especially all the ones in the Ark.

I really didn't see the problem with how they time travel. They go through this empty space area full of clock gears? It isn't like some random monster from space put them through a portal to the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think you're rather upset that the majority of us view the "Lighting Saga" as a travesty, an insult to gamers' intelligence, and an insult to the Final Fantasy series.

I suppose you can say that. But as long I'm getting the sequels, who cares? O.o

XIII-2 got great reviews for the same reason Sonic 4 did: the critics got what they wanted. They just forgot to do their job and say whether or not it was actually, you know, good.

That is not true, Sonic 4 (especially Episode 2) had mediocre reviews not "good/great" reviews compared to XIII/XIII-2. The critics didn't get what they want on Sonic 4.

Seriously, I will never understand what anyone could possibly see in that game. I know a lot of people would say the same thing about me loving the original XIII, but at least there was a good reason behind XIII's linearity. And quite frankly, I'd rather have a well-executed linear game than a horribly-executed "exploration-driven" game. Also, XIII's story was much, much better in basically every sense. Say what you will about its characters, but at least it didn't have Alyssa. Or, for that matter, CHOCOBOCOLINAAAAAAAA~

And what's wrong with Alyssa?

...What's wrong with KH when compared to the XIII games?

While I find KH battle system "ok", I didn't find it enjoyable as much as the XIII battle system.

How anyone can defend this garbage is beyond me, it's not Sonic 06 bad in terms of technical specs, but in terms of fun and enjoyment, it's probably at the same level, if not worse.

While myself found most parts of the story confusing, I still had fun. So did many others.

• Thumbs Up 1