Awoo.

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga

pppp

I think the title should have been Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns.

Because even though it's a new story, it's still based off from the first two games. I'm still shocked that the story continues after hundreds of years from FFXIII-2. Caius must have really really won. And I assume that Sazh, Noel and Hope are dead too because it's "hundreds of years later"

I'm not that pleased with them announcing new gameplay because the gameplay used in the first two games is what I liked about the XIII series. I hope the gameplay hasn't really changed that much. But even if it has, I will still have to play it...I can't ignore a game that concludes everything and finishes the trilogy.

Site opened: http://www.finalfantasyxiii.com/LR/

More on September 4th! Hopefully screens and a trailer!

Edited by Ming Ming Love

I really don't get what happened to Final Fantasy. FFI-FFIX, played through them all, and except for II they were all fantastic RPGs, genre-defining experiences, and some of the best stories and characterisation I've ever seen. FFX I played through and enjoyed, but it was so painfully linear and filled to bursting with unskippable cutscenes that I couldn't stand to play through it again. FFXI is an MMO - not my thing. FFXII had much more gameplay and freedom to explore, but I couldn't finish the game because at a point after the Cid boss fight I realised that I honestly didn't care what happened next. FFXIII I never played, and everything the internet has told me says I was correct to do so. And FFIV is a really shitty MMO, not anybody's thing.

Now, let's wait for the haters to post their hate about the series for the xxth time.

Yes, and let's wait for Ming to get defensive in a general discussion topic. Assuming any of this, including astute observations like these, even matter for Squeenix.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yes, and let's wait for Ming to get defensive in a general discussion topic. Assuming any of this, including astute observations like these, even matter for Squeenix.

No, I learnt my lesson I'm not going to respond to the haters anymore because I realized I'm just wasting my time. Besides like you said, like Square Enix cares and that's the important part.

Edited by Ming Ming Love

I think the title should have been Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns.

This: i mean, come on, really? I know thei're respecting the convinction of not using the trademarck "XIII-3", but this is right down childish.

For the rest of what they said, it's promising, with its Majora's Mask style. I just hope this will not rape even more the original plot, but i know it's more of a possibility.

So if you've been following my status updates you'll notice I've been playing FF13-2 for the first time...

Seriously... tell me the game gets better than this? This has to be one of the if not the most stupid games I've played for a long time. The events so far.

Oh no! Random man is destroying everything for absolutely no reason at all and Lightning is fighting him. Why is this happening? Seriously why is this happening? Theres no explanation, theres no reason for this at all?

Random man falls out of the sky and now we're in a battle. Well that was kinda cool, I still don't know why I'm fighting this guy but anyway... erm... Why is there now a QTE in the middle of an RPG cut scene!? Seriously either give me a battle or a cut scene! This is pathetic, you put all your effort into this cut scene and won't even let me sit back and enjoy it because I'm constantly on edge for having to push buttons... you are joking... You're actually going to make be button bash... Erm... is this an RPG!?

Well I guess we don't need a story or explanation so long as Lightning is able to narrate absolute jibberish and talk to some kid who we've never seen before but who Lightning appears to know quite well and dandy and convince him to do whatever it is she wants him to do... Well maybe the next section of the game is better...

Oh a tutorial... and another tutorial... and another tutorial... and... .. ... theres certainly a lot of tutorials in this game... ... oh another tutotrial.

The NPCs... lets see... one of them is walking into a pier on the beach... the other is walking into an invisable wall... *claps* fantastic coding guys. Maybe the dialogue is any better.

"What the hell is going on I want an explanation RIGHT NOW!"

"Serah you're alive... thats great" (Why yes... people being alive is usually a good thing).

"gasp" "Ah!" "Gasp!" "Gasp!" "Gasp!" "Ah!" "Uh!" "Guh!" "Guh!" <--- Why does every line of dialogue start and end with one of the characters making a noise like that!? Is there some kind of medical condition they all have called 'I must make a gasping noise before and after I speak' syndrome that only affects characters in Final Fantasy 13!?

Okay first boss down, lets start the game "RAWR I AM ANGRY BIG MAN FROM THE FIRST GAME WHO HAD A TOTAL OF 10 SECONDS OF IMPACT!" well that was pointless... these NPC characters from the first game have also added nothing to the plot.... lets continue.

Hmmm... Wait... if I go to the main menu, Serah is looking quite lovingly at Noel... she's about to go off with him to travel through time or to another dimension where Lightning is I guess.... Isn't she married to Snow? Erm... did nobody at Sqaure think that maybe her being married might not be a good idea to make it look like she's in love with Noel?

Lets talk to this cat! Seriously, why are there options to talk to the cat... surely it should be 'examine?'

Then for the biggest bullshit plot device so far.

"LIGHTNING IS DEAD!" How!? When did she die!? "SHE DIED AT THE END OF FF13!" But she didn't... she was alive... she was there right before the credits rolled? "NOOO THAT WAS AN ILLUSION!" What... why was it? "IT WAS AN ILLUSION! IT WAS ALL IN SERAH'S MIND!" ...fuck you game...

"I miss Lightning, I miss Lightning... I miss Lightning... I miss Lightning... I miss my sister... I miss Lightning" You know... I think Serah misses Lightning... not sure I wouldn't have understood this had it not been for the fact she's told every single character we've met so far that fact... Serah misses Lightning. Did you know that? She misses Lightning.

Heres another example of something stupid... theres now a guard on the path to the meteorite. He says "Sorry, this area is off limits." Ah right... so why did you let that kid through just now!? AND WHY CAN I JUST JUMP OVER THE BARRIER WITHOUT YOU STOPPING ME!? You are a terrible guard and I'm having your family deported!"

The new Crystarium is fucking stupid and broken. I want to see what powers/abilities are coming up! I don't want my view locked! I don't want it all on one crystal network! Why did they change this from FF13!? They've made the most important part of levelling up a complete mess!

They've not fixed anything so far, tutorial after tutorial, it's still bloody complicated and makes no sense at all, we've been to the future, the present, another dimension all in the first 30 min, we've been given random names and descriptions of things which don't exist in the real life world which are just confusing since we have nothing to relate it too, just like in FF13 with it's variations of Fal' Ci/l'ci/Mr T or however the hell you spell the names of those creatures.

Auto save function is stupid, I want to know when the game has saved so I can stop playing not just wait and hope I spot the save notification.

And now they tell me they're making a third FF13!? WHY!? This series is shit! It is the worst series Square has put out in nearly a decade of gaming! Either make a new FF title, or go to the Square graveyard, dig up Parasite Eve and give it a sequel it deserves! Dig up Tobal No 1 and give it an update or I dunno Remake FF7.

For the love of God, this game has to get better doesn't it!? IT doesn't get worse? Does it!?

Edit: Battle victory theme is amazingly even worse than FF13.

• Thumbs Up 9

And now they tell me they're making a third FF13!? WHY!? This series is shit! It is the worst series Square has put out in nearly a decade of gaming! Either make a new FF title, or go to the Square graveyard, dig up Parasite Eve and give it a sequel it deserves! Dig up Tobal No 1 and give it an update or I dunno Remake FF7.

Or they could finish versus.

But Versus actually looks good.

Kingdom Hearts Battle System

Final Fantasy Classic Ideas - Airship, Overworld, etc.

PROBABLY likable characters

So if you've been following my status updates you'll notice I've been playing FF13-2 for the first time...

Seriously... tell me the game gets better than this? This has to be one of the if not the most stupid games I've played for a long time. The events so far.

Oh no! Random man is destroying everything for absolutely no reason at all and Lightning is fighting him. Why is this happening? Seriously why is this happening? Theres no explanation, theres no reason for this at all?

Random man falls out of the sky and now we're in a battle. Well that was kinda cool, I still don't know why I'm fighting this guy but anyway... erm... Why is there now a QTE in the middle of an RPG cut scene!? Seriously either give me a battle or a cut scene! This is pathetic, you put all your effort into this cut scene and won't even let me sit back and enjoy it because I'm constantly on edge for having to push buttons... you are joking... You're actually going to make be button bash... Erm... is this an RPG!?

Well I guess we don't need a story or explanation so long as Lightning is able to narrate absolute jibberish and talk to some kid who we've never seen before but who Lightning appears to know quite well and dandy and convince him to do whatever it is she wants him to do... Well maybe the next section of the game is better...

Oh a tutorial... and another tutorial... and another tutorial... and... .. ... theres certainly a lot of tutorials in this game... ... oh another tutotrial.

The NPCs... lets see... one of them is walking into a pier on the beach... the other is walking into an invisable wall... *claps* fantastic coding guys. Maybe the dialogue is any better.

"What the hell is going on I want an explanation RIGHT NOW!"

"Serah you're alive... thats great" (Why yes... people being alive is usually a good thing).

"gasp" "Ah!" "Gasp!" "Gasp!" "Gasp!" "Ah!" "Uh!" "Guh!" "Guh!" <--- Why does every line of dialogue start and end with one of the characters making a noise like that!? Is there some kind of medical condition they all have called 'I must make a gasping noise before and after I speak' syndrome that only affects characters in Final Fantasy 13!?

Okay first boss down, lets start the game "RAWR I AM ANGRY BIG MAN FROM THE FIRST GAME WHO HAD A TOTAL OF 10 SECONDS OF IMPACT!" well that was pointless... these NPC characters from the first game have also added nothing to the plot.... lets continue.

Hmmm... Wait... if I go to the main menu, Serah is looking quite lovingly at Noel... she's about to go off with him to travel through time or to another dimension where Lightning is I guess.... Isn't she married to Snow? Erm... did nobody at Sqaure think that maybe her being married might not be a good idea to make it look like she's in love with Noel?

Lets talk to this cat! Seriously, why are there options to talk to the cat... surely it should be 'examine?'

Then for the biggest bullshit plot device so far.

"LIGHTNING IS DEAD!" How!? When did she die!? "SHE DIED AT THE END OF FF13!" But she didn't... she was alive... she was there right before the credits rolled? "NOOO THAT WAS AN ILLUSION!" What... why was it? "IT WAS AN ILLUSION! IT WAS ALL IN SERAH'S MIND!" ...fuck you game...

"I miss Lightning, I miss Lightning... I miss Lightning... I miss Lightning... I miss my sister... I miss Lightning" You know... I think Serah misses Lightning... not sure I wouldn't have understood this had it not been for the fact she's told every single character we've met so far that fact... Serah misses Lightning. Did you know that? She misses Lightning.

Heres another example of something stupid... theres now a guard on the path to the meteorite. He says "Sorry, this area is off limits." Ah right... so why did you let that kid through just now!? AND WHY CAN I JUST JUMP OVER THE BARRIER WITHOUT YOU STOPPING ME!? You are a terrible guard and I'm having your family deported!"

The new Crystarium is fucking stupid and broken. I want to see what powers/abilities are coming up! I don't want my view locked! I don't want it all on one crystal network! Why did they change this from FF13!? They've made the most important part of levelling up a complete mess!

They've not fixed anything so far, tutorial after tutorial, it's still bloody complicated and makes no sense at all, we've been to the future, the present, another dimension all in the first 30 min, we've been given random names and descriptions of things which don't exist in the real life world which are just confusing since we have nothing to relate it too, just like in FF13 with it's variations of Fal' Ci/l'ci/Mr T or however the hell you spell the names of those creatures.

Auto save function is stupid, I want to know when the game has saved so I can stop playing not just wait and hope I spot the save notification.

For the love of God, this game has to get better doesn't it!? IT doesn't get worse? Does it!?

Edit: Battle victory theme is amazingly even worse than FF13.

Alright let me try to answer your questions since i completed the game:

-We never actually learn how the hell Lightning knows Noel

-To be fair we do eventually learn the villain's motivation and who Noel is.

- Actually it does get worse. The ending of XIII-2 makes the original Mass Effect 3 ending feel satisfying by comparison.

Alright, changed the topic's name since now we're talking about the actual games instead of the presentation. Also might wanna keep Versus related news in the topic for it wink.png

Edited by pppp

Hm, can someone remind me as to what the point of getting even remotely hyped for Versus XIII is anymore? 'Cause I can't help but get the feeling that even they don't want anything to do with it...

Alright, changed the topic's name since now we're talking about the actual games instead of the presentation. Also may wanna keep Versus related news in the topic for it wink.png

The Versus XIII situation is related to the topic at hand because of XIII being the game that's affecting it. I'd say it's okay to talk about that situation here instead of resurrecting a topic for the sake of mentioning that it's still in limbo.

Also, please don't backseat mod. The last time you did it in this thread it was rather aggravating.

I played the game for ten hours before I gave up trying to find enjoyment in this abomination. All I found were tedious fetch quests, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S3NpNFb73c, an incredibly nonsensical plot with annoying characters and CHOCOBOCOLINAAAAAAAA~ From what I've heard, it doesn't improve too much.

XIII-2 is probably the worst JRPG ever made, at least by a major developer like Square Enix. Hyperbole? Maybe, but I still paid sixty dollars for it. Sixty.

Also, I love how they even ruined the battle system of XIII with the idiotic HERPADERPGOTTACATCHEMALL monster system. As if that's an adequate replacement for a third party member. Ugh. I'm sorry, but this game just...broke me.

Edited by T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know there is something wrong when the story of Sonic Next Gen is easier to follow and more coherent. Seriously, I checked on the wiki to try to figure out XIII-2's story, and I left feeling even more confused than ever. Heck, I can't even figure out what's going on just watching the cutscenes on youtube!

I tried the XIII-2 demo. Story is shit. Battle system is shit. The only thing I enjoyed was naming the monsters.

It should be a rule of thumb for any storyteller to ensure that a story is coherent even to those who haven't played/seen an earlier instalment. This, unfortunately, seems to have escaped the thought processes of FFXIII-2's writers.

And this is on top of the seeming inability for most of the game industry's writers to be able to actually put "show, don't tell" into practice. And god forbid that you try to figure out how many developers actually use the rule of "play, don't show".

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 1