Awoo.

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga

pppp

I don't know, I kind of agree with Ming on this.

I've been here since the thread was created. All I've seen is the same 5 people bash the game over and over. I'm not even sure why some people are keeping up with the game considering they already feel it is going to be crap. I also see the same jokes being played with negativity everywhere.

Ehhh...........

Last time i checked, forums are for voicing our negative thoughts as well as positive ones. If we feel negative about it, we're going to express it. Diogenes mostly just posts negative comments on Sonic games because that's how he feels, and he should be allowed to express those feelings. As for why we keep this going, well, it's because we still care about this series and like to talk to each other to cope with our discontent, just like we never gave up on Sonic despite the series dark age. The Tomb Raider topic is also full of negativity, because that's how people feel.

If you like these games by all means talk about awesome they are. Xenos liked FFXIII's story and you don't see me ruining it for him. We don't dislike fans of the games, we dislike the games themselves.

Point being, people who hate these games should be allowed to express how and why they feel the way they do, just like fans of the game are allowed to.

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't know, I kind of agree with Ming on this.

I've been here since the thread was created. All I've seen is the same 5 people bash the game over and over. I'm not even sure why some people are keeping up with the game considering they already feel it is going to be crap. I also see the same jokes being played with negativity everywhere.

Ehhh...........

See also: Any Sonic 4 thread.

EDIT: I'll be honest. The reason I'm keeping up with this is because I'm genuinely interested in the direction of this series. Unfortunately, the current direction isn't one I like as a big fan of the old games (Wow, this really is a shoe-in for a Sonic forum thread).

I'll complain about the game all I like, but I will NEVER bash anyone's opinion unless they're factually erroneous. For example, if you tell me Sonic 06 isn't poorly programmed I will make fun of you, but if you tell me you have fun playing it then I'm happy for you. It's ridiculous that anyone should be afraid to voice a positive opinion about Final Fantasy XIII-3 simply because someone else is posting negative opinions.

Besides, one-sided threads are boring.

Edited by Emmett L. Brown

I'd never actually heard of Final Fantasy: Active Time Battle...I mean All the Bravest, until Archengeia presented it as proof of the company's fall from grace:

Even I'm not that dramatic about it. His old Final Fantasy reviews are worth watching, though. He's normally got an overwhelmingly positive attitude, and a great way of looking at things.

There are a lot of songs I like from XIII-2...mainly the orchestral pieces and the 'Aggressive Mixes' of various songs.

Edited by KrazyBean

More news guys, we finally got more plot details from an interview Toriyama gave to VG247:

Trapped in the city of Luxerion, Lightning – thanks to her efforts in
defending the goddess Etro in Final Fantasy XIII-2 – has been bestowed
with the title of ‘Liberator’, a divine guardian who will cleanse the
souls of humans in the world’s final days and lead them to a more
prosperous existence. It’s a bleak, desperate tale, far removed from the
giggles and schmaltz of Square’s previous instalment.

“In the ending of Final Fantasy XIII-2, Gran Pulse – the world that
Lightning and her friends inhabit – merged with Valhalla, the world of
death”, Toriyama told me. “Lethal Chaos energy flowed from Valhalla into
Gran Pulse as a result of this merging, thus beginning the
deterioration of Gran Pulse into oblivion.

“At this point, the correct flow of time ceased and people stopped
ageing. The collapse of the world continued steadily over several
hundred years, until only a single tiny continent remained. People
created a new civilisation on this continent and it came to be known as
“Nova Chrysalia”.

The world has been split into four continents this time. Luxerion is
the only major location revealed so far, and it’s a holy city where
humans meander aimlessly, essentially waiting to die. It’s littered with
gothic architecture wrapped up in a dark colour palette. Toriyama
explained that the grim tone is supposed to symbolise what he called
the, “Strong awareness of death in a world that has lost its concept of
mortality.”

With the fate of humanity on Lightning’s shoulders, this
responsibility will reveal a more emotive site to her typically po-faced
exterior. If that wasn’t enough, the very people she’s saving believe
she’s actually the harbinger of the apocalypse, due to facts that have
become long-muddied in legend.

“The role of the Liberator is to cleanse people’s souls and lead them
to a peaceful existence in a new world,” Toriyama continued. “However,
some people think that this act is very much like killing them and view
the Liberator as a cursed and sinister being.

“This all occurs against a backdrop of several cults and religious
organisations, venerating the deities in the face of an impending
apocalypse, turning upon Lightning and becoming tied up in the
developing incident.”

This misconception makes Lightning a target for several fanatical
groups who hold different beliefs about what the end of the world will
bring. Not long after arriving in Luxerion, an attempt is made on her
life, triggering the core plot.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/22/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-13-preview-closing-the-loop/

Hmm, I'm not saying this is a bad idea for a plot or anything, but like Hogfather said, it's like they completely forgot what this story was originally about. I mean according to this everything we know from the original XIII is gone.

Thoughts?

Edited by pppp

Ok, so we all know that characters from the previous game will make an appereance (probably most of them in depressing moments: i'm looking at you, Sazh), but the real question is: where the fuck Caius is in all of this?

I mean, unless all of this turns out to be another trick of Barthandelus (wich could be very unlikely yet it would tie things up), i think he is the big bad guy Light has to search now.

Yeah, this is what I was worried about. the original 13 built a strong base for me if they DID make potential sequels, but then they focus on something completely different and alien compared to the story prior to the next.

I mean, couldn't they try to make it a little more familiar...?

I just realized guys: Lightning is trying to save the lives of the people with her special powers but the very people she's trying to save hate her and see her as the true menace.

Lightning is the new Marvel super-hero tongue.png

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah that is what I'm thinking myself. Where is Caius? He is still very well alive.

He is? Didn't he die by Noel's sword? Or are you talking about the secret ending of FF XIII-2...yeah, I don't understand the secret ending so can someone please explain it to me.

He is? Didn't he die by Noel's sword? Or are you talking about the secret ending of FF XIII-2...yeah, I don't understand the secret ending so can someone please explain it to me.

No one does Krazy tongue.png

He dies, but in the secret ending he's alive for some reason. Allow me to also quote my review of the dlc ending:

Serah's soul(i guess?) appears right in front of Lightning and starts

talking about how she's dead and will be forgotten. Fortunately the game

didn't make Serah's character even remotely appealing so we experience

no tension. After both of them...hum...somehow being transported into a

white limbo space, Serah pleads to Lightning to not forget her. Hum, hey

Serah, how exactly will you be forgotten? You think your fiance will?

Kinda doubt it. Your friends could also keep your memory alive. What

exactly makes Lightning the only one that can do it? It's like every new

plot point in this game comes with 3 plotholes. So Lightning comes back

to Valhala and starts monologuing about how she'll become a stone

epitaph so Serah's memory will live eternally with her, because

apparently she can do that. After that the game ends with more

monologuing about stuff that has nothing to do with anything.

If someone can help me and Krazy we'd be grateful tongue.png

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 1

No one does Krazy tongue.png

He dies, but in the secret ending he's alive for some reason. Allow me to also quote my review of the dlc ending:

If someone can help me and Krazy we'd be grateful tongue.png

Looks like the secret ending is either not part of the canon ending (i.e another Paradox ending) or one massive plot-hole, or Caius has a clone....I have no clue. LOL, and I thought that Inception was confusing at first.

Square has a lot of tying up to do with this game.

Edited by KrazyBean

Looks like the secret ending is either not part of the canon ending (i.e another Paradox ending) or one massive plot-hole, or Caius has a clone....I have no clue. LOL, and I thought that Inception was confusing at first.

Square has a lot of tying up to do with this game.

If you thought Inception was confusing don't ever watch Cloud Atlas. That movie made no sense whatsoever tongue.png

So in this game, you'll be fighting....RELIGION!!!

From the looks of it, yes. Also does anyone wonder if square has had a complete handle on their stories lately, they seem kind of up and down for some reason.

Edited by megadude001

So in this game, you'll be fighting....RELIGION!!!

Yeah, it's like the last card from Square in terms of plot: political fiction mixed with fighting an evil/corrupted religion usually was a success in RPGs (but that was because in that cases Matsuno wrote the plot tongue.png).

Edited by Teoskaven
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, it's like the last card from Square in terms of plot: political fiction mixed with fighting an evil/corrupted religion usually was a success in RPGs (but that was because in that cases Matsuno wrote the plot tongue.png).

The worst part is, Fire Emblem did that first with Seisen no Keifu with added incest as a plot point from Nintendo in 1996.

It's a good thing this game didn't get localized--at least for now. XD

Ok, i have to post this little tidbit i found, because i find this to be absolutely hilarious:

At a recent reveal event in Paris last month, Motomu Toriyama, the
series director, and Yoshinori Kitase, the franchise producer, revealed
to a packed room of journalists that the original plan for the XIII
trilogy was for it to crack global sales of 10m. Together, Final Fantasy
XIII and XIII 2 have shifted roughly 9.7 million copies, so in order to
hit their projected sales goal the forthcoming instalment, Lightning
Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, only has to shift just more than 300,000
units.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/feb/18/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-preview

There you go guys. Straight from the horse's mouth. The reason there are sequels is: we want more money cool.png

So basically if the first game bombed, there would have been like 10 ff13 games so they could meet their goal tongue.png

Also this is what kills me:

"Between Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII 2, we saw a drop
in sales of 3m," says Kitase. "

"The reason for the drop may have been down to the
fact that not many players knew you didn't have to have played Final
Fantasy XIII to understand the plot in its sequel," he adds.

"We're hoping that we can get that message across for Lightning Returns, because the same is true here."

I love how he doesn't even consider that maybe the reason for that is because maybe a lot of people don't want it because FFXIII didn't need a sequel. sleep.png

Edited by pppp

And so it became obvious once and for all that Square Enix has absolutely no freaking clue what they're doing. Everyone knows why XIII-2 didn't sell well except Square. And for the few people that don't, aside from the fact that XIII didn't need a sequel, there are two really, really big ones: #1. A lot of people didn't like XIII's style when compared to other FF's and were probably iffy on buying a direct sequel, and #2. XIII-2 actually did little to improve on XIII's gameplay and its story was insulting.

I'm not even mad anymore. It's just funny now how utterly clueless and just downright pathetic they are, almost adorable even. XD It just gets more entertaining as it keeps going along. Final Fantasy is the new Sonic, folks. Even if they do somehow get their crap together and come out with a good one, the series' reputation will still be ruined and it will be a total joke for the next ten years, and you all have these morons to thank.

It's just amazing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Until they release a Sonic '06 and/or Shadow equivalent, Final Fantasy is NOT the new Sonic. 

Edited by Ming Ming Shana
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ming Ming Shana, on 27 Feb 2013 - 20:33, said:Until they release a Sonic '06 and/or Shadow equivalent, Final Fantasy is NOT the new Sonic. 

We already passed that point with Final Fantasy 13-2.