Awoo.

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga

pppp

I kinda do hope they turn the franchise around. I never finished FFXII because I honestly couldn't care less what happened next to these bland, uninteresting Shakespearian rejects, but in spite of that I recognise it as a great RPG, just not for me. FFXIII...yeah. And then FFXIV turns out to be one of the most incompetently handled trainwrecks of a stillborn MMO ever made by a big company.

Point is I don't know what to expect from Final Fantasy FFXV. I actually hope the recent string of failures mean the current development team get some new blood. Square-Enix need a Retro Studios intervention (not literally (it's a metaphor)).

I just wish each game in the series would stick to their names.

It's called Final Fantasy, guys. Let's let these characters tell these stories and then move on to the next brand new Fantasy. It would add a lot more meaning to it and it would make some semblance of sense. (Did I just do an SSS there?)

The only other exception I can think of is FF7, which got a lot of spinoffs and a movie and whatnot. But that was because it was obscenely popular. Of course Square would want to milk it for all it's worth. And hell, the original game might be dated. But me, a 14 year old, who has no nostalgia or extended knowledge of the series, can still acknowledge it's redeeming qualities and see the potential that's stuck under layers of an outdated mess.

The fact Square Enix thought they could do this again with FF13 is pretty surprising..or not, considering the lukewarm response the games seem to have gotten. (Correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not totally sure about the story, or characters, but I at least know the combat isn't anything I enjoy.

Personally, from my playing of 13-2's demo, I just don't like the combat whatsoever. And why the fuck are there random battles in this day and age? It's not appealing in any regard. I have no sense of what's going on, or if I'm actually doing the right thing in the fight. I just have a vague sense of call and response and watching flashy things in an overcomplicated manner. Being forced to change playstyles of characters felt restricting and too confusing. Why couldn't I just build their abilities the way I wanted to?

In comparison, I've also played FF7. Sure, the game can be kind of cheap with it's timer. But that's where you have to learn how to make strategies. And you also have more freedom on how you want to attack without being limited to "This certain attack style let's you do this." you could, for the most part, build the characters in your own way and find your own way of dealing with different enemies and situations. And it was simple to see when you attacked, when they attacked, if you were dying, or if they were. It was flashy sometimes, but the simplicity was definitely a virtue for a game like this, because I could see every action going on in a battle.

These are the only two main FF games I've gotten to play, and the difference is just staggering.

I plan on getting this game, but I honestly hope the combat system isn't rocket science to me this time.

Less than a year? If you're going to criticize, at least get your facts straight. -.-

Well I don't think he's that far out.

Most of the coding is going to be just a copy and paste of FF13 much like how FF13-2 was. All the monster designs (just about) will be copied from the last game (in fact wasn't there only 1 new monster shown in the trailer?), their annimations will all be done. The shopping system will be just the same as FF13/13-2 was, Choboloina is even in one of them. The characterisation (lol what characterisation?) is done since it's the exact same cast as the last two games.

Looking at what 'new' stuff is there, it's quite badly done and has recieved a ton of criticism accross many different websites.

Edit: oh yeah, battle theme is also re-cycled.

In fact, what exactly is new about this game?

Well I don't think he's that far out.

Most of the coding is going to be just a copy and paste of FF13 much like how FF13-2 was. All the monster designs (just about) will be copied from the last game (in fact wasn't there only 1 new monster shown in the trailer?), their annimations will all be done. The shopping system will be just the same as FF13/13-2 was, Choboloina is even in one of them. The characterisation (lol what characterisation?) is done since it's the exact same cast as the last two games.

Looking at what 'new' stuff is there, it's quite badly done and has recieved a ton of criticism accross many different websites.

Edit: oh yeah, battle theme is also re-cycled.

In fact, what exactly is new about this game?

Actually, he was that far out. XIII-2 was released in Japan, December 2011 and they already started making plans for Lightning Returns then.

Most of the coding is copied and pasted? Like most sequels? Yeah. Most sequels copy code from their first games, then modify and improve it.

Different websites? You mean you and the "I hate XIII, pro pre X Brigade"?

You better relisten to the battle theme. It's not the exact same, it's remixed. Again with the silly nitpickings. Uncharted, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Adventure 2, God of War anyone? Geez. =/

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

No I mean places where people tend to talk about video games.

But of course your joke isn't funny anymore if I say that is it?

Also I like the fact how because I'm criticising something... I'm aparently apart of the I hate FF13 brigade... and somehow that means I only like anything pre FFX... right... ok... that makes sense... sure..

You better relisten to the battle theme again. It's not the exact same, it's remixed.

So remixed takes as much time and work as coming up with a new theme from scratch eh?

So remixed takes as much time and work as coming up with a new theme from scratch eh?

This wouldn't be the only battle theme they will be using. In XIII-2, hardly the XIII battle theme was used. There will be new music and some remixed from the previous games.

Also I like the fact how because I'm criticising something... I'm aparently apart of the I hate FF13 brigade... and somehow that means I only like anything pre FFX... right... ok... that makes sense... sure..

Okay, I went a little overboard with the "Pre X" thing. But apart from that I'm right, right? Most old Final Fantasy fans hate Square Enix Final Fantasy games. Anndd, apart from you saying some music pieces in the XIII series is awesome, everything you mentioned about XIII is negative. 

But apart from that I'm right, right? Most old Final Fantasy fans hate Square Enix Final Fantasy games.

No you're not right you're assuming.

People don't like this game/series because it's modern or because they're old fans or something. They don't like it because they think it's a bad game and because whats been shown so far doesn't look that great.

Oh yes there are some people who do like it, just like there are some people who like that Sonic fan film and various other things. But that doesn't change the fact that the vast opinion on this game so far is that it isn't very good looking at all.

No you're not right you're assuming.

When I said, "But apart from that I'm right, right?", I'm talking about you. Not anybody else. Are you part of the XIII hate brigade. Yes or No? If yes, I assumed correctly. I shouldn't have said anything about old fans not liking Square Enix FF games to make my post clear. However...

People don't like this game/series because it's modern or because they're old fans or something. They don't like it because they think it's a bad game and because whats been shown so far doesn't look that great.

Oh yes there are some people who do like it, just like there are some people who like that Sonic fan film and various other things. But that doesn't change the fact that the vast opinion on this game so far is that it isn't very good looking at all.

Here we go again, with "it's a bad game". We are having a DmC here.

The main problem i have with the first game of the trilogy is that it's called Final Fantasy XIII, I'm not kidding, my biggest problem with the game is it's name. By making it an entry in the main series that has masterpieces like FF6 and 9 Square created huge shoes for the game to fill, and it doesn't even come close to doing that. Basically the same problem i have with Sonic 4.

As Nepenthe once said: Games/Movies that are part of a franchise don't live in a vacuum, there's a franchise identity and legacy to respect.

Shana if you really want to understand why old FF fans don't like this game watch MarzGurl's review, she explains it extremely well:

Edited by pppp

Oh okay. I understand what MarzGirl is saying there and that's if what old Final Fantasy fans feel then yeah, I understand. I even forgot about the audio cues that were missing in XIII.

I'm looking forward to Episode 2 of her review.

So it's a bad Final Fantasy game to the old fans. Still doesn't mean it's a bad game overall.

Actually, he was that far out. XIII-2 was released in Japan, December 2011 and they already started making plans for Lightning Returns then.

Most of the coding is copied and pasted? Like most sequels? Yeah. Most sequels copy code from their first games, then modify and improve it.

You better relisten to the battle theme. It's not the exact same, it's remixed. Again with the silly nitpickings. Uncharted, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Adventure 2, God of War anyone? Geez. =/

He never said other games don't copy and paste. He was saying that LR and 13-2 did it lazily and to be quite honest, badly. I mean look at KH2. Sure it's debated as whether or not it was better than 1 or not, but at least when they took 1's gameplay, they didn't just change minor things and release it the next year. No, they took quite some time polishing a lot up and adding new interesting features. Same can be applied to 3D and BBS. 13-2 did not really do this. And LR does not seem to, from the look of it, Improve on anything besides customization.

How can you say LR is a lazy copy and paste when it's still in development? Just wait until at least around E3 before we can judge the game.

How can you say LR is a lazy copy and paste when it's still in development? Just wait until at least around E3 before we can judge the game.

Considering what we've seen as of now, and what has been told about the game, My faith in this game actually being anything more than a cash in is pretty low.

Edited by Riku

Especially considering it's releasing in the Fall, it doesn't have that many more months of development left.

You do know they can extend the development time, like they did with XIII? And we are in January, you are making it sound like we are in June. 

You do know they can extend the development time, like they did with XIII? And we are in January, you are making it sound like we are in June. 

They could extend time, but I heavily doubt that they will. And I personally wouldn't want them wasting more time and money on this project.

You mean you and the "I hate XIII, pro pre X Brigade"?

apart from you saying some music pieces in the XIII series is awesome, everything you mentioned about XIII is negative. 

Are you part of the XIII hate brigade. Yes or No?

So holding negative feelings towards the XIII games makes you part of a "hate brigade"?

Shana, really. Take a moment to look at things more objectively. No one is insulting you for liking the game. No one is saying you're wrong. What's the problem here? Why do you keep picking these fights about this game?

Here we go again, with "it's a bad game". We are having a DmC here.

Well, to some people it is. What's the problem?

I don't debate about the original XIII anymore, and it's not just because of my horrible realization that the towns were only omitted because GREEFIX. Even after that, I still think XIII is a good game, if flawed. But I'm not going to bother debating it anymore because no one cares. I don't care. I've said all I have to say in defense of the game and no one is going to mind if I like it. If someone were bashing me and talking about how stupid I am for liking XIII, it would be a different story entirely. But no one's doing that to me, and no one's doing that to you, either. I may have questioned some of your reasoning before, but I've never bashed you for it. If you like XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, that's perfectly fine, but you really should at least try to understand why people don't before arguing about it.

At the very least, chill out a bit and don't get mad about other peoples' opinions when no one is insulting you for yours.

The fact Square Enix thought they could do this again with FF13 is pretty surprising..or not, considering the lukewarm response the games seem to have gotten. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I think "lukewarm" is a bit of an understatement at this point.

These are the only two main FF games I've gotten to play, and the difference is just staggering.

staggering.

final-fantasy-xiii-atb-stagger.jpg

mettleplstoos.jpg

Edited by Christopher Zombin
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think Square-Enix only payed attention to the sales of the first, and that's why they keep making them. Either that, or they're trying in vain to make a Final Fantasy XIII game that doesn't have something wrong with it. (FF XIII being corridors, pages of logbooks needed to understand the story, and FF XIII-2 having perhaps the dumbest story ever.)

It's most likely the sales. They spent years designing and programming this engine, and while they still got a profit from XIII, Square doesn't think the sales were enough to satisfy all that hard work. So then came the sequel, and Lightning Returns.

Not to mention that the team do like Lightning...

I remember a magazine saying FFXIII was better than, and going to be the next FFVII - I'm not even going to say my opinion on that one!!

Well, the hype train for thirteen was running faster and harder than it had in ages. It hit the top of an awful lot of Top Ten Most Anticipated lists.

So did Resident Evil 5, by the way. The irony is delicious.

• Thumbs Up 1

So we now have actual info about the combat system. Turns out they're taking a "Tales of" style approach to the ATB combat system:

What is interesting, though, is the way combat is handled now that Lightning is the sole party member available. Lightning Returns takes more of an action RPG approach to battles, sort of like the Tales franchise. You can freely move Lightning around the field, and you'll have to block or dodge in real-time to survive long-winded fights. What's more, you can swap between three "schemes" during combat, each with its own ATB gauge. Schemes are sort of like revised Roles from previous games in the XIII series, where each one allows Lightning to access different abilities.

For example, while fighting a monstrous Behemoth (which is weak to Thunder magic), Lightning activated her Cerberus scheme. This provided access to a Sparkstrike ability, as well as a blocking maneuver and a physical strike. Once the Cerberus ATB gauge was depleted, she switched to the Divinity scheme, opening up a new repertoire of abilities. Combat seemed to become a game of managing the ATB gauges of each scheme, allowing some to recharge while others are depleted.

Sorry Shana turns out the combat system is not the sametongue.png

http://www.gamesradar.com/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-preview/

They are also bringing stealth in to the game, like in Assassin's Creed. :mellow:

And now with that they are bringing "Tales of" like gameplay in battles, my inner hype is died down a bit. I preferred the original battle system.

They are also bringing stealth in to the game, like in Assassin's Creed. mellow.png

And now with that they are bringing "Tales of" like gameplay in battles, my inner hype is died down a bit. I preferred the original battle system.

You don't like the Tales Of combat system? If so,you're the only one that i know.

Edited by pppp