Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

Ed Healms in Cedar Rapids

Variety reports that The Hangover star, Ed Helms, will star in Fox Searchlight's Cedar Rapids, an Alexander Payne-produced comedy to be directed by Miguel Arteta.

Helms will play a sad-sack insurance agent who goes to an industry convention to try to save the jobs of his colleagues.

Shooting will begin in October, when Helms is on hiatus from NBC sitcom The Office

Matthew Michael Carnahan Penning World War Z

Paramount Pictures has brought on Matthew Michael Carnahan to adapt author Max Brook's, World War Z, about a worldwide infestation of flesh-eating zombies.

An original draft was penned by J. Michael Straczynski. Of Carnahan's involvement, Brooks tells Fangoria, "He's one of Hollywood's hot A-list writers, so if they went after him and paid him a mountain of gold, it definitely shows their confidence in this project."

Carnahan has also penned The Kingdom, Lions for Lambs and State of Play.

Marc Forster (Quantum of Solace) is attached to direct the film.

Comic-Con Sneak Peak from EW

What the fuck is up with that Sherlock Holmes movie?

Sherlock Holmes is not Indiana Jones. Sherlock Holmes is Sherlock Holmes.

In a dynamic new portrayal of Arthur Conan Doyle’s most famous characters, Sherlock Holmes sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

Sigh.

Edited by Jake

OMG...way to ruin the one and only Sherlock Holmes. >_>

The tv shows of Sherlock Holmes are more accurate than the movie, fo sho!

Walter Cronkite Dead at Age 92

Not movie news but important...

The New York Times reports that Walter Cronkite, an iconic CBS News journalist who defined the role of anchorman for a generation of television viewers, died Friday at the age of 92.

Mr. Cronkite anchored the “CBS Evening News” from 1962 to 1981, at a time when television became the dominant medium of the United States. He figuratively held the hand of the American public during the civil rights movement, the space race, the Vietnam war, and the impeachment of Richard Nixon. During his tenure, network newscasts were expanded to 30 minutes from 15.

“It is impossible to imagine CBS News, journalism or indeed America without Walter Cronkite,” Sean McManus, the president of CBS News, said in a statement. “More than just the best and most trusted anchor in history, he guided America through our crises, tragedies and also our victories and greatest moments.”

Who Will Play Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit

The LA Time's Hero Complex blog reports that there are rumors that the name of the lead in Guillermo del Toro's The Hobbit will be announced next week at Comic-Con.

Some of the names mentioned are fairly large including David Tennant, James McAvoy (Wanted), Daniel Radcliffe and even Jack Black.

Jack Black seems unlikely but Tennant and McAvoy could be interesting choices.

Who would you cast as Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming, The Hobbit?

Movie Poster for Richard Kelly's The Box

http://api.ning.com/files/dZJHHDAcAWEuyTEh...eboxposter2.jpg

Regarding all the complaints about the Sherlock Holmes film.

Its a Guy Ritchie film. Honestly, what else did you expect from him? I'm personally steering well clear.

Wait... so the guy who played Bilbo in LOTR (Ian Holm) won't be reprising his role in The Hobbit? Damn...

Voltron Movie Ready for Development

The Hollywood Reporter's Risky Biz Blog reports that Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven, Richard Suckle and Steve Alexander are ready to begin development on a big screen version of Voltron.

The producers behind Get Smart and The International (Roven also produced The Dark Knight) have acquired the rights to make a live-action feature based on the robot-lion property, pushing the project forward after several years in development with the Mark Gordon Company.

Voltron was a television hit in the 1980's and featured a band of five robot-lions who combined to form one super lion. A group of five pilots control the lions, which are charged with defending the planet Arus from villain King Zarkon, who dispatches evil creatures called Robobeats to fight the Voltron robots.

Great, Hollywood is at it again to ruin ppl's childhoods, but does have to be about robots? Just hope Bay doesn't sign in for this.

Dicaprio and WB Moving Twilight Zone Film

Warner Bros. and Leonardo DiCaprio's production company, Appian Way, are moving ahead on a Twilight Zone movie, hiring Rand Ravich to write a script based on the iconic TV series.

Ravich's feature credits include directing The Astronaut's Wife and executive producing Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. He also created NBC's detective series "Life."

The original Twilight Zone series ran for five seasons starting in 1959 on CBS, with Rod Serling creating the series and writing more than half of the 156 episodes.

Meh, I wonder how will this be compared to the TZ Movie from the 80's.

Sony Pictures Close to Michael Jackson Film Deal

Variety reports that Sony Pictures is close to a deal to make a feature film on Michael Jackson, drawing on the 80 hours of rehearsal footage filmed for concerts Jackson was preparing to perform in London.

The studio is expected to pay more than $50 million for worldwide rights to AEG Entertainment, which owns the footage and showed it to studios last week.

The film will feature at least three videos, including an alternative version of Jackson's Thriller which were shot to be interstitial programming during the London concerts. The footage was meant to play in 3-D, but it's unclear as yet whether the feature film will present it that way.

High School Musical director Kenny Ortega, who shot the rehearsal footage, is expected to direct the feature.

Sony Pictures' sibling company Sony Music Entertainment owns music publishing rights to Jackson's songs.

Already Hollywood is about to take advantage of his death. Just hopefully it'll be good *looks at HSM director and shakes fist it better be. Well, a 3D Thriller does sound neat.

Freeman to Co-star in Red Adaptation

Variety reports that Morgan Freeman is in talks to star opposite Bruce Willis in Summit Entertainment's comic adaptation of the espionage thriller Red.

Erich Hoeber and Jon Hoeber are writing the script for the comic series originally written by Warren Ellis and illustrated by Cully Hamner.

The three-book series, published in 2003 and 2004, tells the story of a former black-ops CIA agent now living a quiet life in retirement until the day a high-tech assassin shows up intent on killing him.

Rogen Says The Green Hornet is Not Canceled

After the loss of Stephen Chow as Kato, First Showing reports that The Green Hornet is far from being dead.

The Green Hornet star Seth Rogen says:

We're building sets. There's more people working on the film every day! They traditionally don't spend millions and millions of dollars on movies that are dead...It's really hard to make a big movie. It's exponentially more difficult to make a $100 million movie than it is to make a $20 million movie, especially in this economy. I think just for us to make a movie that we feel confident in and for [sony] to have a movie that they feel confident in, that's taking a long time.

As far as director Michel Gondry goes, Rogen reports:

We're encouraging him to make it as visually exciting and inventive as anything anyone has ever seen. We're fans of these types of movies when they're done well. We think that we can handle the story and the script and the dialogue, but we know nothing about cameras and lights and fancy ways of making things look amazing. And that's what he's better at than anyone in the world pretty much. So we're encouraging him to really go for it.

First Posters for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

http://api.ning.com/files/hXG3ysVSm6h11qL1...Q0Hlt/35017.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/hXG3ysVSm6h*ZEBB...PcC0e/35016.jpg

Disney? WTF? Hopefully, it'll be like POTC (the 1st), but no sequels afterward.

Saw 6 Motion Poster

Cool, but pls let the franchise die already.

Trailer for I Love You, Phillip Morris

So Obi Wan x Ace Ventura? -_- Excuse me while I wash my brain with bleach.

It was only ever going to be a matter of time until we got a Michael Jackson biopic, legends like him are seldom cold in the ground before filmmakers begin work in earnest to make a definitive picture of their life.

I wonder if it'll be dramatised at all, like Ray Charles' biopic was, and if so, who would play MJ? They'd need several very good actors. Or they could just get vague look-alikes who can dance and use CG to graft MJs face on like they did in this advert, and use the guy who sang Happy Birthday Lisa in The Simpsons to do any speaking.

Dang it. I hope they don't stray too far from the Prince of Persia games. >.< But uh..I didn't know Disney had it!

And ANOTHER SAW MOVIE? *facepalm*

Dang it. I hope they don't stray too far from the Prince of Persia games. >.< But uh..I didn't know Disney had it!

And ANOTHER SAW MOVIE? *facepalm*

There's plans for at least four more after this one, too.

Aniston to Star in Holler

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Screen Gems and Jennifer Aniston are teaming up to tell a tale of lingering racial tensions in the Deep South, called Holler.

Inspired by true events, the script centers on a biracial high school student who returns with his white mother to her hometown in Mississippi, where he falls for a white girl. When prom season arrives at the high school, he is shocked to discover that she cannot be his date at the segregated prom. He soon finds himself the catalyst for change for not only the prom but for the school and entire town.

Holler was written by Dana Adam Shapiro.

Nicolas Cage in Talks for The Green Hornet

Variety reports that Columbia Pictures is in early talks with Nicolas Cage to play the gangster villain in The Green Hornet.

Cameron Diaz has been reported to be in negotiations to play a reporter and love interest in the Michel Gondry-directed film that stars Seth Rogen as the masked crime fighter.

The picture is moving full steam ahead for a fall start date, even as the studio looks to replace Stephen Chow, who was going to play sidekick Kato. Rogen and Evan Goldberg wrote the script.

The Green Hornet is targeting a July 9, 2010 release

Oh crap. This could be bad. Cage has a bad acting track lately w/ Knowing, Ghost Rider, and whatnot, hopefully, he'll do good.

Thurman Set for Girl Soldier

Variety reports that Uma Thurman will star in the independent drama Girl Soldier, portraying a cleric who helped rescue 140 schoolgirls abducted in Uganda.

Will Raee is set to direct from a script by Stephanie Pinola.

The story is based on Kathy Cook's book "Stolen Angels," which follows the 1996 raid at a boarding school, where a band of armed rebels abducted young girls to turn them into soldiers and sex slaves. A teacher at the school, Sister Caroline, tracked the rebels back to their camp to demand the girls' release. 110 were returned to the nun, who then began a crusade over the next few years as she rallied parents, the government, the United Nations and the pope to aid in rescuing not only her own girls but other children in rebel captivity.

Thurman says of the project, "This is a film that had to get made. It's beyond me that in this day and age the exploitation of child soldiers goes virtually unnoticed and unchecked by Western media."

Waylett Sentence to Community Service

People reports that Jamie Waylett, an actor who stars in the Harry Potter movies, has been ordered to 120 hours of community service after pleading guilty that he grew 10 marijuana plants at his mother's home north of London.

In a 15-minute hearing Tuesday, Judge Timothy Workman passed sentence – deciding against jail time for the 20-year-old, as the jurist was satisfied that the cultivation was "small scale." He added that Waylett was essentially a man of "good character" and had cooperated with authorities, reports Britain's Press Association.

Waylett plays school bully Vincent Crabbe in the movies, including the latest box-office sensation, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

See? Proof that Potter actors can be Potheads. *rimshot.

First Look at Kingsley in 'Prince of Persia'

http://api.ning.com/files/WyDohaesKFGLqnkr...persiatease.jpg

Is he a cousin to this guy?:

ming-400x300.jpg

Facebook Contest to Premiere Alice in Wonderland Teaser

Rope of Silicon has posted that Disney will premiere a trailer teaser to Tim Burton's upcoming movie Alice in Wonderland via Facebook.

The excerpt reads:

Be the First to See the ALICE IN WONDERLAND Teaser Trailer!

The Loyal Subjects of the Red Queen, the Loyal Subjects of the White Queen, and the Disloyal Subjects of the Mad Hatter are all building armies on Facebook. The fan page with the biggest army at 4PM PDT on Thursday, July 24 will get to see an exclusive new trailer from Disney’s ALICE IN WONDERLAND before anyone else. So be sure to log onto Facebook and choose a side.

The Loyal Subjects of the Red Queen: facebook.com/RedQueenSubjects

The Loyal Subjects of the White Queen: facebook.com/WhiteQueenSubjects

The Disloyal Subjects of the Mad Hatter: facebook.com/MadHatterSubjects

The date for the teaser release appears to be wrong, as Thursday is actually the 23rd, so we will keep you updated as more information develops.

Any side with Johnny Depp usually wins.

Fox Searchlight Acquires Bridges Film

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Fox Searchlight has acquired worldwide rights to the Jeff Bridges starring film Crazy Heart for release in the spring.

Bridges plays an aging country singer in Scott Cooper's directorial debut, which was adapted from Thomas Cobb's novel of the same name.

Maggie Gyllenhaal, Colin Farrell and Robert Duvall co-star in the film

Searchlight executives say of the film, "Jeff Bridges delivers the performance of a lifetime."

Sam Worthington Attached to Candidate

The Hollywood Reporter says that Sam Worthington (Terminator Salvation, Avatar, Clash of the Titans) is attached to star in a remake of the recent Danish thriller, The Candidate. Beau Willimon has been hired to write the project, and Summit has picked up the remake rights.

The original film's producers, Peter Bose and Jonas Allen will executive produce the remake. Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey are producing. Worthington may also produce.

In the film, a defense attorney goes on the hunt for a group of blackmailers when he is suddenly accused of murder. In a nothing-is-what-it-seems fantasia reminiscent of David Fincher's "The Game," the mystery ends up tying back into the suspicious death of the lawyer's father.

New Photo of Johansson in 'Iron Man 2'

http://api.ning.com/files/0FTnNK4W2sgbl5ns...scarlettnew.jpg

Used the searcher on the topic but couldn't see this mentioned earlier. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel will be hitting U.S. theaters Christmas Day and UK theaters Boxing Day.

Trailer here -

http://www.munkyourself.com/

The Chipettes

will be in this one :D

Really looking forward to this as I really enjoyed the first one and me and my wife even got to meet all 3 of The Chipmunks and get our picture taken with 2

Me -

http://img193.imageshack.us/i/daleandsimon.jpg/

My wife -

http://img24.imageshack.us/i/emmaandalvin.jpg/

I must admit, I actually saw the first Chipmunks movie and it wasn't too bad. It's not a masterpiece, but it certainly entertained me and it was pretty funny at times, AND cute to boot! =3

The Chipettes look adorable, but not very close to their cartoon counterparts. I guess that's because they couldn't get their clothes to fit right on the more realistic look they have though.

PS: The Chipettes would look outdated anyway in their old clothes. It's very er...80's. ^^;

chipettes.jpg

Lee Biopic Series in the Works

Coming Soon reports that a three-part biopic about martial arts king Bruce Lee is being made in cooperation with the family of Hong Kong's most famous native son, who died 36 years ago this week.

The family is working with China's J.A. Media on Bruce Lee, which will start shooting in October with Tony Leung Ka-fai as Lee's father.

Additional cast and director have not yet been set. However, filmmaker Yimou Zhang has said many times that he is keen to shoot a film of Lee's life.

The first part is scheduled for release on November 27th, 2010, the 70th anniversary of Lee's birth.

Sam Raimi to Direct WoW Film

Harry lays it down over here at AICN.

I don't have the firm release date, but I do know who is directing the WORLD OF WARCRAFT film and that is Sam Raimi. It will come out in trades later this week or next. But you can take this one to the bank. Sam is going to make a huge budget fantasy bit of unfuckingimaginable coolness - and it will be yanked from the WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

I'd like to go on the record as saying I am incredibly excited about this attachment. In the past I've been very harsh on the idea of a World of Warcraft movie. Frankly, I've been terrified of it. You see, for those of you who haven't played it, WoW is very European in its sensibilities of good and evil. In the World of Warcraft, Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Gnomes band together to fight a desperate battle against the evil hordes of Orcs, Trolls, Minotaurs (Tauren) and the Undead. Except...well...the Orcs, Trolls and Tauren aren't really evil. They're just...different. And they've found themselves at war with the Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Gnomes that have for so long tried to conquer and destroy them.

It's a complicated world with no real good guys. There are, however, bad guys. REALLY bad guys. Like the Dragon that had enslaved a king and replaced him with a doppelganger. And evil things lurking in the center of the molten core. And invading hordes from other dimensions.

And what terrifies me is that execs are going to look at this large, sweeping, politically complicated world...and see another story in which A human, an elf, a dwarf and some hobbits gnomes go off on a quest to fight against orcs, trolls, undead creatures and all manner of monsters. I've seen that movie. And Being a direct lift of both Lord of the Rings and Dungeons & Dragons, The World of Warcraft movie has little chance of being anything different unless it is placed in the right hands - someone who will say "You know what we HAVEN'T seen before? A movie about an Orc, a Troll, a Minotaur and a living dead girl who go on a quest to fight against hordes of humans, dwarves, elves and gnomes!"

But Sam Raimi COULD be that man. Almost every last bit of my trepidation has lifted with that possibility. Sam could do it. I believe in him. With fngers crossed, let's hope for the best, huh?

/WORK COMPLETE!

Oh...f*ck. D@mn, as if the game is overrated enough with its millions of users, now there's a movie. But I bet those users will still be playing than to care about this film. Raimi pls do Spiderman 4!

Leeroy Jenkins!

Romero's New Film Now titled Survival of the Dead

Empire has announced that George Romero's sixth entry in the Living Dead series is now officially titled Survival of the Dead, according to a Toronto Film Festival press release.

Given that the plot sees a military outfit holed up on an island which is supposed to be the last safe place on earth, it was rumored that Island of the Dead was the likely moniker.

The film also carried the title ...Of the Dead for most of its production.

Survival of the Dead premieres as part of the Toronto Film Festival's Midnight Madness program in September.

New 'Iron Man 2' Picture!

http://api.ning.com/files/6s7Z-5ZrPvsiQdlC...arkironman2.jpg

First Photo of Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Krueger

http://api.ning.com/files/Dba91rZrwQwjkL7n...refirstlook.jpg

Don't see why they need to cover his face. He is probably gonna look similar Englund's model/design. Yet don't see why the series need a reboot.

The Shutter Island Poster

http://api.ning.com/files/1H1zLzd6mRuX2KFp...slandposter.jpg

Wait did Ash say 4 more Saws? Man, WHAT THE HELL? I thought the series would end on 6 like they promised last year. I mean what else could they possibly do? John Kramer is dead, everybody that has appeared is dead, going to die, and is basically assumed dead, and this apprentice has already been found out by 2 people. Nobody survives the traps and if they do, they disprove the whole central theme of the series and become homicidal maniacs. Ugh, this is becoming worse then the Friday the 13th series.

Oh, if they revive the original Jigsaw, then everything that was great about the first 4 has been evaporated.

Oh does anybody know when B13 Ultamtium is coming to America?

A WoW movie...........someone destroy hollywood NAOW!

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

Washington Re-joins Unstoppable

Coming Soon reports that two weeks after Denzel Washington formally withdrew from the Tony Scott-directed Unstoppable, the actor has signed back onto the picture.

Washington's representatives and 20th Century Fox signed a new agreement this week, resuming the film's production in Pittsburgh.

Washington had been attached since April to re-team with Scott and play a veteran engineer who jumps into a locomotive with a young conductor (Chris Pine) to stop an unmanned runaway train loaded with toxic cargo.

The Mark Bomback script is based on true events.

Miller's 300 Sequel Finished

Risky Biz Blog has reported that Frank Miller has recently completed a draft of the sequel to his 300 graphic novel.

As far as the film's adaptation of the comic sequel, however, there has been no screenwriter and no director signed on to the project yet, not even Zack Snyder.

The blog continues to say, "While Miller is still tweaking his version, the ball will soon rest in the court of studio, financing entity and producers to determine how easily, if at all, they can translate the story to the big screen."

The 300 sequel would take place between the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Plataea (that was seen at the very end of 300). But if that's the case, then that means none of the original actors (like Gerard Butler) will be in this, give or take David Wenham, and that it'll be almost entirely disconnected.

Another pointless sequel. Eh.

Rogen Reveals 'Green Hornet's Black Beauty!

http://api.ning.com/files/4TGCQEa5TLpLzmdV...nhornetcar3.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/4TGCQEa5TLodDwFe...nhornetcar4.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/4TGCQEa5TLo485Uf...nhornetcar5.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/4TGCQEa5TLpN8KOR...nhornetcar6.jpg