Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

I still think the first Sonic Adventure is a better game. Sorry guys.

Thats something I already acknowledged in the DC days.

Even with the prettier graphics, the godly 60 fps, the better controls and the improved Chao system, SA2 cant beat SA1 on level design and playstyle.

Not only the levels in SA1 were more open, diverse and with a better mix of speed and platforming, it also had more "normal" gameplay because, even with their differences, Tails and (to a lesser extent) Amy played more or less like Sonic.

I still love SA2 for the things I mentioned before, but for me SA1 always was the better game.

• Thumbs Up 3

BTW, the Dark story>Hero. Shadow and Rouge remain just as awesome as they were 11 years ago.

Couldn't agree more. Antagonists act; protagonists react. The Dark Story is probably the only fully playable story in the series where you cause basically everything that happens in the plot (until the very last part when Gerald Robotnik hijacks everything), while the Hero Story consists of nothing but reacting to what the villains have done and trying to put things right. Which par for the course in most stories, honestly.

I also like the fact that Eggman is the only one in the villainous trio who is honest about his goal and isn't planning to betray the other two. Then again, I like to think Rouge would've sided with either Eggman or the government at the end depending on which one came out on top. That "ooh, can we boss around the world now?" part after the moon'splosion is probably my favourite Rouge moment in the series.

As for the port itself, eh, I'm just happy I don't have to bother with the fiddly gamecube disc anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

To bad the dark story has far worse levels overall.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hero side had better levels. But dark story had a better story. I overall liked the port but when I first saw a 4:3 cutscene I was like, Son of a bitch!

Do you suppose when the PC version is out, people will be able to hack the game and remove the 4:3 boarders on cut-scenes? Wonder what mysterious things are hidden behind those black bars.

I'm going to assume poledancing Big.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 8

Now that this game's level design and story events are fresh in my head I have to say:

I still think the first Sonic Adventure is a better game. Sorry guys.

I thought that was pretty much common knowledge (minus the aging IMO)

It looks like (totaly not quoting Sonic) that people who has never played the game before enjoyed it, but people who had, started to hate it or simply can't feel the magic anymore. The game is still fun to me, but much less than it used to be some years ago when my DC was still alive. Back then I could see the all bugs and flaws as something normal and tolerable, but today I see how bad they are. If Heroes ever get an HD version, I hope that doesn't repeat sad.png

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 2

So, I finally got this game that I always wanted to play since ever and what do I think of it?

Pretty disappointing...

I only played the Heroes side of the game, I'm at Crazy Gadget by now and I'm getting pretty frustrated sometimes. The Sonic stages are ok, but the Knuckles and Tails ones? Oh god screw them. I always knew that they where bad even without playing, but now that I tried them, good lord.

In the Tails stages all I can hear is the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-pew-pew-pew-weeeeeeeeee sound and shoot some shitload of robots to open doors, the Adventure ones where pretty superior, at least for me.

The Knuckles stages? God, sometimes I'm near a piece of the emerald and that damn thing doesn't even beep or change colour. And having huge places to find the shards is a damn pain in the ass, I usually take 10 or more minutes to find those stupid things and those screens give me information like "In the nose of the ghost shaped montain", ok what ghost shaped mountain? Oh, you mean the pumpkin shaped mountain? Ok.

Well, looks like all those years waiting to play SA2 didn't paid off.

• Thumbs Up 2

I only played the Heroes side of the game, I'm at Crazy Gadget by now and I'm getting pretty frustrated sometimes.

You'll have a blast playing Final Rush for the first time then!

Lost about 15 lives the first time I beat Final Rush.

You'll have a blast playing Final Rush for the first time then!

Lost about 15 lives the first time I beat Final Rush.

Is that the one that involves lots and lots of rails? Oh lord, this keeps getting better...

Is that the one that involves lots and lots of rails? Oh lord, this keeps getting better...

Yes it is.

I'm sure you might have seen a playthrough of the level somewhere, but let me tell you, playing it is a hell of a lot different from simply watching it, especially when your playing it for the first time.

As of today, I love this level though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes it is.

I'm sure you might have seen a playthrough of the level somewhere, but let me tell you, playing it is a hell of a lot different from simply watching it, especially when your playing it for the first time.

As of today, I love this level though.

Well, I liked all the Sonic stages until now, so I think that this one won't be an exception.

From what I've seen it looks pretty cool and hey, I liked Bullet Station so this one can't be that bad.

The Knuckles stages? God, sometimes I'm near a piece of the emerald and that damn thing doesn't even beep or change colour.

You know you can get the Emerald shards out of order in the stages, right? If the Emerald detector doesn't beep or react that doesn't mean it's broken.

It means you found shard #2 or shard #3 before finding shard #1. Or you found shard #3 before shard #2. It's only programmed to detect the earliest one in the sequence.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

That seems pretty stupid, I always thought that it reacted whenever a shard was near, be it the 1st or 3rd one. I didn't even knew that there was an order.

Last time this happen I was just standing by the side of a shard at the meteorite stage and that thing not reacting at all was pretty weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

It did in SA1. Then they fucked it up in SA2 and made Treasure hunting even worse.

The idea of the radar working on only one shard at a time is fine in Dry Lagoon and Wild Canyon, because they're small stages it actually makes things more fun without putting you at a major disadvantage. But from pretty much the second stage onwards as either Knuckles or Rouge the stages are too big. You'll end up spending several minutes just looking for a single shard, and in the process you're quite likely to run right past one of the others without noticing. It's one step forwards, two steps backwards.

The port has issues? I played the City Escape demo a few times and it felt just like the GC version. Sega should have gone all out with this port; having the multiplayer characters playable in the normal stages, improved controls, improved camera, SA 1 emerald radar w/th mini map, and ONLINE MULTIPLAYER! For 13$ it donset sound like a bad deal but with the recent tittles having improved quliaty you would think Sega would put a bit more effort to fix up the games rough spots...

That requires effort. If SEGA can't make SA run in widescreen, I wouldn't expect SEGA to do anything cool here.

After coming back to Adventure 2, I find it Ironic that the Aquatic Mine level took me about 25 minutes the first time I played it, and it frustrated me a lot. And then Meteor Herd comes along, and after seeing how big it was, I thought it was going to be a disaster. Oddly enough, it only took me about 11-12 minutes, and I had a blast playing every bit of it. Aquatic Mine, what the fuck.

But ya, I think Adventure 2 is a very fun game. Yes it does have it's share of problems, but nowhere near enough to make me dislike the game.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go listen to Meteor Herd's music again for the...500th time probably.

Edited by Mephiles550
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I got this game again, I'd have to go through Security Hall again.

Oh man, I remember how frustrated I got on that level when I was a kid. I'm good at it now, but just thinking about it brings up unpleasant memories.

• Thumbs Up 2