Awoo.

Sonic the hedgehog 4 - previews, interviews, and impressions topic

goku262002

Actually I think that might be accidental. At least in the old games (never really paid attention on Ep2), when you turned, Tails would jump to get behind you again as fast as possible. If he behaves the same here, walking up to anything destroyable and turning your back to it will make Tails jump to get behind you and destroy the thing in the process.

Actually I think that might be accidental. At least in the old games (never really paid attention on Ep2), when you turned, Tails would jump to get behind you again as fast as possible. If he behaves the same here, walking up to anything destroyable and turning your back to it will make Tails jump to get behind you and destroy the thing in the process.

I have also seen this happen on the Oil Desert Boss. Playing as Sonic (in single player) I tried to hit the boss and missed it completely. Then Tails lands a direct hit on the Boss.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

When I play Sky Fortress Act 1 as Sonic (especially in co-op) I always want to get passed the midlde section when Sonic (alone) has to homing attack across the turtles-until he rejoins with Tails, without loosing any lives. I do have a bit of trouble with the technique in getting across the turtles, especially when the online (internet) connections is a bit slow. However, I think I have found the perfect technique which means you should get passed that section first time without fail:

1) When you start the turtle section as Sonic alone, you home attack across three turtles and then home attack across another two turtles.

2) Then you wait briefly until a vertical line of turtles appears-followed by more turtles appearing (and that bastard of a turtle that comes from the left).

3)Rather than jumping onto the turtle which is at the bottom of the vertical line of turtles, go against instinct and just wait a few seconds. A turtle then appears to your bottom right. Now, home attack onto that turtle instead (you can walk off the turtle and then still home attack onto this turtle (to your bottom right) without trouble.

4) Then wait a few seconds, and then start home attacking across the turtles as usual. If your timing is right then when the turtle comes from the left, you will be able to home attack straight onto that turtle. Then you can safely rejoin Tails.

This technique seems to work everytime. Try it.

When I play Sky Fortress Act 1 as Sonic (especially in co-op) I always want to get passed the midlde section when Sonic (alone) has to homing attack across the turtles-until he rejoins with Tails, without loosing any lives. I do have a bit of trouble with the technique in getting across the turtles, especially when the online (internet) connections is a bit slow. However, I think I have found the perfect technique which means you should get passed that section first time without fail:

1) When you start the turtle section as Sonic alone, you home attack across three turtles and then home attack across another two turtles.

2) Then you wait briefly until a vertical line of turtles appears-followed by more turtles appearing (and that bastard of a turtle that comes from the left).

3)Rather than jumping onto the turtle which is at the bottom of the vertical line of turtles, go against instinct and just wait a few seconds. A turtle then appears to your bottom right. Now, home attack onto that turtle instead (you can walk off the turtle and then still home attack onto this turtle (to your bottom right) without trouble.

4) Then wait a few seconds, and then start home attacking across the turtles as usual. If your timing is right then when the turtle comes from the left, you will be able to home attack straight onto that turtle. Then you can safely rejoin Tails.

This technique seems to work everytime. Try it.

What worked best for me after the line of turtles was to, again, go against instinct and walk right off the edge. Homing attack still works when you run right off a ledge, so homing attack the rising turtle below and go.

Is it weird that I find jumping back onto the Tornado the most nerve-wracking part of that section?

I've been hard-wired to believe that Sonic can only stand on the wing (despite the fact that in all previous games, you couldn't jump off the wing to even see if the rest of the plane was solid), and it's such a small area to jump on! Even though you can land anywhere on the plane, one time I actually died because I overshot since I insist on jumping onto the wing.

• Thumbs Up 4

"Supersonic fun for kids on the run!" ? SOUNDS LIKE ME! Still young at heart.

I think it's a shame that the Acts in Ep2 don't flow seemless from one to the other (without the screen going blank at the end of each act) like in S3&K. If you look at Sylvania castle Act 1, the finishing post has waterfalls all around it, then Act 2 starts with waterfalls, so the zone is effectively continuing where it left off. It's the same with Oil Desert Acts 1, 2 & 3 and Sky Fortress 1, 2 & 3, they would look so good if the screen never went blank. It looked great in the Sonic 2 HD as well as S3&K.

Has anyone fully explored Sky Fortress Act 2, because that level is massive. There are are an awful lot of paths to explore and bucket loads of rings and extra lives to find. I have managed to get 506 rings (yeah baby) and that is close to the 10 minute time limit (no other level as anywhere near that amount of rings-a few acts have just over 300). It may not visually be the best level in the game, but it's got lots of cool gimmicks and the music is pretty neat.

The Ken B. interview after party has been recorded! But it turns out the thing is meant to be tacked onto a yet-to-be-recoded episode, which will be recorded late this week and posted on Monday 6/4. Don't blame me, it's all on Nuckles and Shigs :P

I guess I can reveal a few things he talked about: the all emeralds ending, or lack thereof, is actually touched upon. Nothing is revealed, but if you read between the lines you get a very good idea as to why it was cut and that it *might* be added back in if certain things happen with an Ep III.

Ken talks about exactly why he likes Big the Cat, and mentions Iizuka's decision on the character's future.

At least one new piece of machinery in Ep II, that has yet to have its official name revealed, is revealed.

Ken comments on iOS updates.

Ken talks about the Tails patch.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ken B. interview after party has been recorded! But it turns out the thing is meant to be tacked onto a yet-to-be-recoded episode, which will be recorded late this week and posted on Monday 6/4. Don't blame me, it's all on Nuckles and Shigs tongue.png

I guess I can reveal a few things he talked about: the all emeralds ending, or lack thereof, is actually touched upon. Nothing is revealed, but if you read between the lines you get a very good idea as to why it was cut and that it *might* be added back in if certain things happen with an Ep III.

Ken talks about exactly why he likes Big the Cat, and mentions Iizuka's decision on the character's future.

At least one new piece of machinery in Ep II, that has yet to have its official name revealed, is revealed.

Ken comments on iOS updates.

Ken talks about the Tails patch.

Well lets hope for an Ep3.

SA2, SASRT, S3&K HD? and a new 3d Sonic game to keep us occupied until Ep3.

I have just completed another playthrough of Sonic 4 Episode 2. I was exploring the levels like crazy to see what extra lives and rings I could find. The one level that turns out to be the most interesting is SFZ Act 2. It is a very big level. I even ran out of time whilst exploring that act, d'oh!

I did mange to get 570 rings. Whilst I probably missed a few, I don't think there was 600 or more, although I can't be sure. It's far and above the level with the most rings. Has anyone managed to get more than 570 rings?

I have attached a screenshot of the 570 rings I collected:

post-3991-0-66290100-1338413497_thumb.jp

I also got 71 lives:

post-3991-0-69767000-1338413255_thumb.jp

I did mange to get 570 rings. Whilst I probably missed a few, I don't think there was 600 or more, although I can't be sure. It's far and above the level with the most rings. Has anyone managed to get more than 570 rings?

I forgot, does that stage have a gold item box? If it does, you could get a lot of rings via tapping like crazy.

Yes there is one of those special boxes near the bottom of that level (I think) about half way through. So if you tap hard enough you could get 100 rings from that box (easier to do in Multiplay) and therefore get over 600 rings. Nice.

This'll sound dumb, but its stuff like that that makes Sonic 4 seem more a part of the series. Specifically the originals. Stuff like big print ads really make it feel bigger than an episodic digital title. Now we just need a Sonic 4 Happy Meal.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's that billboard Ken was taling about:

NE7Rq.jpg

Hm... were there any billboards for Sonic Generations? I'm just asking because the thought of "a downloadable title getting a billboard, while a multi-console anniversary title doesn't" honestly baffles me.

Generations didn't have any billboards from what I can remember, but there were a TON of store displays and print ads as well as trailers on TV. So I'm a-okay with Sonic 4 getting one billboard.

We buy billboard ad space where I work, and it really isn't insanely expensive. Sometimes, you get a deal thanks to vendor's making goofs or teaming with marketing companies. I know SEGA is using a new marketing group that did the Transformed event in California. Could be that this billboard was a part of their contract with them or something. I really wouldn't get too angry over one billboard.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's actually pretty cool, it's nice to see the franchise plastered all over the place again just like the '90s.

• Thumbs Up 1

Generations didn't have any billboards from what I can remember, but there were a TON of store displays and print ads as well as trailers on TV. So I'm a-okay with Sonic 4 getting one billboard.

We buy billboard ad space where I work, and it really isn't insanely expensive. Sometimes, you get a deal thanks to vendor's making goofs or teaming with marketing companies. I know SEGA is using a new marketing group that did the Transformed event in California. Could be that this billboard was a part of their contract with them or something. I really wouldn't get too angry over one billboard.

If the billboard helps Ep2 sell then all the better.

Has anyone found the extra life at the start of Sky Fortress Act 3?

I have been exploring Ep2 again to see if I could find hidden rings and item boxes. I thought the location of the extra life found at the start of Sylvania Castle Zone-Act 1 (to the far left from where you start the level) was pretty cool. So I wondered if Dimps would do the same thing again in any other level.

About an hour ago I found an extra life right at the start of Sky Fortress Act 3. When that level starts, Sonic and Tails are standing on a small platform which is moving (pretty fast) down like a narrow corrider (your outside of course). So when the level starts I activated the copter co-op move immediately and flew upwards. The extra life is above you from where you start!!!

Be warned this extra life ie very hard to get because you very quickly run out of flight as Tails. So it might take you a few attempts. Try it, it's a great find. I have attached a (rather poor quality-my apologies) screenshot of when I collected the extra life. In the screenshot below Tails has just collected the extra life.

I will let you know if I find any other well hidden items.

post-3991-0-75249000-1338633425_thumb.jp

Has anyone else found some really well hidden boxes/rings?

Well I didn't find it myself, but Brainscratchcomms pointed out an Extra Life in Sylvania Castle Act 1's very beginning, which is obnoxiously far to the left. There's also a ten ring box at the beginning just to the left in the segment before White Park's Metal Sonic boss fight begins. The first underwater part in Act 3 also has a ring box and a shield. And there's the shield in the Death Egg Mark II just before the boss fight starts but I wouldn't be able to adequately explain how to reach it. There's actually a few nicely hidden items, which is pleasing to see.

Well I didn't find it myself, but Brainscratchcomms pointed out an Extra Life in Sylvania Castle Act 1's very beginning, which is obnoxiously far to the left. There's also a ten ring box at the beginning just to the left in the segment before White Park's Metal Sonic boss fight begins. The first underwater part in Act 3 also has a ring box and a shield. And there's the shield in the Death Egg Mark II just before the boss fight starts but I wouldn't be able to adequately explain how to reach it. There's actually a few nicely hidden items, which is pleasing to see.

Yeah, I have found all those other ones. There all good.

I have just found ANOTHER extra life, this time at the start of Oil Desert Zone, Act 3.

To get it: start the level as normal and go to the right. You soon arive at the first 'sand pit rising' challenge. Don't go into that section. When you start the level you run along a (high up) ledge which loops under (your instinct as Sonic is just to follow that ledge round to gain speed). Don't follow the ledge round, instead just jump off it and fly high up to the right using Tails. You will come to a ledge where the extra life is. I have attached a screenshot of it. Really cool!

post-3991-0-60665700-1338636990_thumb.jp

So that's two extra lives I found at the start of levels in Ep2 today. On fire baby!

Such a shame the secrets fall flat because the level design is otherwise pretty bad, and the secrets themselves are lame. Seriously, who needs extra life monitors in this game?