Awoo.

Sonic the hedgehog 4 - previews, interviews, and impressions topic

goku262002

Many people who are fans of/grew up with the original Genesis games (I included) could not disagree more.

And then there are people who are fans of/grew up with the original genesis games (I included) who find nothing particularly offensive about the game and can't understand the constant fecal matter comparisons.

I'll gladly rally behind the argument that the game simply isn't fun to play. But the way some people talk about it you'd think the digital copy bounced out of their screen and punched them in the gut. I had fun playing the game, and that's all it needs to qualify - it's all Sonic 1 needed to qualify when I played it as a kid.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoy Sonic 4 quite a lot but I can understand completly why it doesn't work for others. It's not a perfect game and it can't top the classics but I still get a lot of replayablity out of it and enjoy it each time.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer
  • Thumbs Up 2

And then there are people who are fans of/grew up with the original genesis games (I included) who find nothing particularly offensive about the game and can't understand the constant fecal matter comparisons.

Just for the record, I'll jsut state I didn't say all classic fans, I merely said many.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 as a full game is my fifth least favorite Sonic game of all time. I'd explain why but I would probably just be echoing everyone else here...

Just for the record, I'll jsut state I didn't say all classic fans, I merely said many.

I know. I didn't say "all" either.

I found a new iOS exclusive glitch. In Sylvania Castle Act 2 after you see the first floating spring platform, go underwater when you see the next 2. Fly up and make Tails hit the spring with his copter blades and fall left into the water current. Sonic's model goes crazy and moves into the Z axis, becoming giant on the screen!

I bought the game during the Steam Summer Sale, but haven't had a chance to play yet, due to the fact that Sega is too god damn lazy to port their shit to Mac...

...but I have played the Xbox 360 Demo at a friends house and the Ipod version Demo. And its still extremely awkward and stupid as Episode 1. As Pinkamina said, Sonic for some reason only rolls down really steep hills. Its something that Dimps obviously overlooked, which just proves that Dimps still has no idea what the hell they are doing. The level design is still littered with Speed Boosters and Springs...GOD DAMNIT DIMPS! I thought you were actually gonna try and design a level this time! To the corner for you!

The only thing I have a full opinion on is the music...and its bad. Now there are some tracks I like, mainly Sky Fortress Act 2 and Metal Sonic's theme, but all the music in the game is really short and sounds nothing like the Genesis games! And yes the beginning of Oil Desert act 2 does sound like ducks. People really need to STFU about that.

Anyway, Jun Senou really needs to stop trying to emulate the Genesis sound. It sounds nothing like Sonic 1, 2 and 3&Knuckles, the instruments are horrible, and he knows he can do better with real instruments. Not to mention he also killed Stardust Speedway. He stabbed it in the face with a cutting knife, raped its corpse, hung it up on his wall, masturbated in its mouth for a month then finally buried it in a big pile of Jell-o! It sounds like one of those bastardized versions of songs on Youtube where somebody takes a voice clip or something then remakes a song out of it...but it sounds like total shit. JUN, WHY?!

At least its better than Vocaloid...

Not to mention he also killed Stardust Speedway. He stabbed it in the face with a cutting knife, raped its corpse, hung it up on his wall, masturbated in its mouth for a month then finally buried it in a big pile of Jell-o! It sounds like one of those bastardized versions of songs on Youtube where somebody takes a voice clip or something then remakes a song out of it...but it sounds like total shit. JUN, WHY?!

....I think you're overreacting a tad. :v

Stardust Speedway was the least of the problems. I just play and listen to the music of SS in Sonic CD 2011. That makes me happy.

I still can't see the logic as to why Sonic 4 was linked to CD in the first place. I mean Metal Sonic or Little Planet regardless. Just seemed rather pointless linking it to CD.

Anyway, Jun Senou really needs to stop trying to emulate the Genesis sound. It sounds nothing like Sonic 1, 2 and 3&Knuckles, the instruments are horrible, and he knows he can do better with real instruments. Not to mention he also killed Stardust Speedway. He stabbed it in the face with a cutting knife, raped its corpse, hung it up on his wall, masturbated in its mouth for a month then finally buried it in a big pile of Jell-o! It sounds like one of those bastardized versions of songs on Youtube where somebody takes a voice clip or something then remakes a song out of it...but it sounds like total shit. JUN, WHY?!

At least its better than Vocaloid...

Not gonna lie; that's the funniest thing I've seen in this thread so far.

Speaking of the awful soundtrack:

I think I've figured out why I don't care for it at all. Even though the soundfont sounds more like an actual Genesis should, the melody to each song just lacks... life. There's more to Sonic 4's soundtrack issues than a simple soundfont; the melodies were just too simple. Compare those two songs and you'll see what I mean; they're both trying to sound happy and lively, but one just sounds a lot more happy and lively. It gives the song more of an identity.

Edited by Dissident

Oh God, I wish I knew where the interview with Jun Senoue was where he said that the director of S4 asked him to rewrite SHZ1. It was because he didn't like it, but Jun refused because he insisted it was "happy, lively and perfect for the first level". Both SHZ1 and 2 sound borderline sad to me, and Gecko Yamori's take on it above is brilliant.

SC1 is a pretty bad track too. It's got more variation in volumes, pacing and the lead instrument at least stops for a few beat, but it's still not nice to listen to (but SC2 is great).

DAMN.

What was Jun's malfunction? That version definitely sounds more Sonic 4 than the one we got. (This is coming from a fan of Splash Hill's theme by the way)

It just seems like Jun is limiting himself in trying to sound "Classic" and "Genesis" And even then he does a bad job of it. He should be just doing the music he usually does, with real instruments.

It just seems like Jun is limiting himself in trying to sound "Classic" and "Genesis" And even then he does a bad job of it. He should be just doing the music he usually does, with real instruments.

It's not like he can't do Classic music...

Green Grove has the structure, melody and atmosphere that all the S4 music lacks.

But when you look at Generations, he only wanted to do the modern music. He contributed 2 classic tracks- Emerald Coast (which was almost identical to the SA1 OST version) and Death Egg Robo (which was a remastered version of the original). He was simply not the right man for the job of S4. Of course, Dimps wasn't the right team for S4 either... ugh.

Compare this...the derpy version that sounds like it should be Stunfisk's theme song. 618.gif

...to this gem...

Edited by Enderwoman

Generations version is pretty dam cool. Still not as good as the CD version.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Generations version is pretty dam cool. Still not as good as the CD version.

The Generations mix is just the original with added stuff.

Speaking of the awful soundtrack:

I think I've figured out why I don't care for it at all. Even though the soundfont sounds more like an actual Genesis should, the melody to each song just lacks... life. There's more to Sonic 4's soundtrack issues than a simple soundfont; the melodies were just too simple. Compare those two songs and you'll see what I mean; they're both trying to sound happy and lively, but one just sounds a lot more happy and lively. It gives the song more of an identity.

Well, it does help that the former is a fanmade version with an actual Genesis synthfont. Otherwise it's be as bland as it's Episode II first-act cousin, which definitely for me is the blandest song out of both Sonic 4 soundtracks.

I do think that Jun nailed it a few times in both soundtracks with some tracks, despite the melodies and synthfonts-namely Episode II's Oil Desert Act 3 as well as Sky Fortress's Act 2 and Act 3 (then again, Sky Fortress was arguably the best part of Episode II).

sad.png

All this Stardust Speedway hate. Funnily enough, I LOVE Sonic 4's take on it. I really like the bassline and the part from 50 seconds to 1:05 is just amazing; I get goosebumps every time I listen to it. While I prefer CD's take on it, I still like S4's version a ton.

Also, I think Sylvania Castle Zone Act 1 is one of the best tracks in the game (dat bassline). Every time I go to listen to Episode 2's soundtrack, I find myself listening to it before anything else. At first I didn't really like it, but after I really listened to it, it grew on me... a lot. In fact, I've listened to it so much, I've memorized the entire song!

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved Episode 2. It was great that they brought back the S3&K style cutscenes, and I personally like all the stages and music. Here's hoping it can sell well enough for an Episode 3 or Sonic 5 to be developed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it amazing how a lot of people dislike the music in Episode 2. I still don't understand the whole "dying cat" thing in E1 - never in my life have I ever heard a cat dying in agony before but I do think it is blown way out of proportion. I can only here this "dying cat" in Splash Hills Zone Acts 1 & 2, Main theme, & LL Act 2. & "dying ducks" now? (although, ODZ act 2 does make me laugh)

Sonic music tends to be pleasing to my ears, including the Sonic 4 tracks & 8-bit game tracks. Sky Fortress on all acts have the most amazing atmosphere to them! I love how echoy Act 1 is (makes me feel how wide & deep the skies are). Act 3 is the best out of the 3 - the intro is like it's saying "Right, there's no time to waste, Tails - full throttle!", which brings me back memories of the beginning of Rail Canyon of Sonic Heroes, where Tails reminds Sonic that there's not much time left to stop the Egg Fleet! =D

• 3 weeks later...

It was decent. Not great, but not bad either. It felt nothing like a sequel to the classic games, but it felt like an Adventure styled game in 2D.

• Thumbs Up 1