Awoo.

Disney's "Frozen"

Match

Please. How many super hero movies have there been? Ones that rely on nothing but special effects and big names? 

And how many beautifully animated musicals about the love and importance of family have there been?

Don't generaize the superhero genre because it's not your favorite. Don't try and act like it's all lowest common denominator garbage. It makes you look pretty foolish, since all it proves is that you don't know what you're talking about. If it's not for you, fine, but goddamn, don't be an ass about it.  Acting like Frozen is some inherently superior work of art because it was pretty and included morals disney should have been teaching in one of the other...what, 6 or 7 princess movies years ago is pretty damn pretentious too. It's just...embarrasing, really. 

Neither of these movies are masters of innovation. They both do a good job of entertaining their audiences, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

tumblr_n516uc1KOn1shtowzo1_500.gif

I'm not gonna sit here and fight with you. Everything I said is my opinion, and if you don't like it then that's just too bad, isn't it?

Please. How many super hero movies have there been? Ones that rely on nothing but special effects and big names?

Superhero movies that rely on more than big names/special effects: Raimi's Spider-Man films, Tim Burton's Batman films, Nolan's Dark Knight films, the first two Superman movies, Captain America 2, etc.

And how many beautifully animated musicals about the love and importance of family have there been?

I've lost count since Bambi

• Thumbs Up 7

I seem to have forgotten the day you became my boss. I'm stating my opinion and if you don't like it then just ignore it, it's not that hard.

I seem to have forgotten the day you became my boss. 

The day you signed up on the forum, comrade. That moderator badge isn't for show.

• Thumbs Up 3

I seem to have forgotten the day you became my boss. I'm stating my opinion and if you don't like it then just ignore it, it's not that hard.

I am your boss and as your boss I say you can take a fucking vacation. See you in two weeks.

• Thumbs Up 5

Then you should let people have their opinion about Frozen, be it negative or otherwise.

I mean I think it's pretty ok, but if people like Iron Man 3 more you don't have to get all bent out of shape about it.

edit: Sean-Ninja'd

I really enjoyed Frozen, but it doesn't even come close to Spirited Away's level of quality. Even the LEGO Movie was a better film, in my opinion.

so screw you guys who say I only like dark and gritty stuff, dammit >:U

• Thumbs Up 2

Aww...what's wrong guys? You have a problem with a wittle, animated princess movie beating some typical, special effect showing super hero flick?

You know, I think I've mentioned my apathy towards this movie--and Disney in general because of it--on SSMB here and there, but I've never elaborated, as I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Thank you for changing my mind, truly.

You want to know what's wrong? Okay then.

I suppose I'll start by saying I love Disney. Sure, they aren't always perfect as a company or on a creative level, but generally speaking they're pretty cool. I've enjoyed a lot of their movies, and even the ones I didn't were more of a "eh, not my thing" deal rather than something I could rant about. But overall, I love their movies and, uh, their older animated TV shows...so "what's wrong"?

They not only can, but have, done better than this.

Now, feel free to disagree. It's just a movie and I'm not going to stop you--or anyone--from liking it. I'm just expressing my own opinion and why the reception to it does, yes, bother me. "You're just mad that it's popular!" is a terrible oversimplification of most """"Frozen haters"""" feelings. And you know what? Even if some people really are bothered just because of that, I don't blame them, not with how smug certain fans have been about all this.

Animation aside, Frozen just didn't wow me. The plot in particular strikes me as badly executed in some aspects (I think  summed that up pretty well), the characters didn't interest me aside from the super cool wait fuck Elsa, and...yeah, I think the others put it best, it was kind of...typical. I think they could have gone a lot further with the whole trying to be a subversion of the typical Disney Princess tale thing. Oh, and let's not forget that they got rid of a ton of female characters from the source material and replaced them with a couple of dudes and a talking snowman. Fun.

Again, it's not even that I hate Frozen (on it's own), or Disney, or whatever. But I can't help but sigh at the zillion dollars they're making on it. Money talks after all, and it's going to encourage them to continue what they're doing with their fairy tale-based movies, is a direction I'm personally not fond of. I can sum up what bothers me about them in general right now is the refusal to have the titles sound feminine ("Rapunzel? Snow Queen? Nope, adjectives!") for um...a good reason, I'm sure.....??

But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong by their next Princess/fairy tale film. I'm just not expecting to be "won back"...so to speak. At least with Pixar and some of Disney's other stuff still appeal to me, so it's not like I've given up on them completely and forever or anything of the sort.

I hope at least this post made some sense in spite of my sleepiness at the moment

• Thumbs Up 6

I really enjoyed Frozen when I saw it at the time. It wasn't anywhere near being my movie of the year (you can thank Pixar for delivering on that front) but I thought it was good fun and I liked it about as much as I did Tangled, which also wasn't anything terribly special but I liked for what it was and never saw it again after it came out in theaters. Mind that I wasn't even excited for the film and the majority of its trailers left me skeptical due to Disney trying to pass it off as the next Lion King.

Thing is, people just kept talking about it. And talking, and talking, and talking. For some reason, Frozen hype just has not fucking died down half a year after its initial release. I see it all the time on Tumblr, Facebook, and even on the news - seriously, my local news station loves airing YouTube clips of someone singing a Frozen song every couple of weeks. Normally hype doesn't bother me whether or not I am into something as long as it's reasonably drawn out, but people are still excited about this movie and the more I hear about it, the more it sticks in my mind and the more I'm forced to think about it. I kept replaying it in my mind and I realized that it has way more flaws than I was willing to gloss over during my viewing.

I mean when you compare it to what's practically an entire subculture surrounding Frozen, you'd think that Monsters University didn't even come out last year! And I thought that one was so much better and had far more important lessons to give than whatever Frozen tried to do; something about family and not loving the first man you see and blah de blah blah. Plus, the sister bonding thing had already been done in Lilo & Stitch. I'd have about twenty bucks if I got a dime for every Tumblr post I saw that praised Frozen for attempting it which apparently never had been done in a Disney film before.

I just straight-up am sick and tired of Frozen and what's sad is that if it weren't for the post-release buzz, I probably would still think of it as a decent movie due to my memory being fuzzy and pushing the film to the back of my mind, like I eventually do with everything I like. But shit, I wouldn't even put Frozen in the top 50 best movies from the company. Its popularity just fucking astounds me; this is one instance in which the hype has most certainly decimated my interest in it.

Hell, I'm almost thankful in a way that I was brute-forced into re-evaluating the film 'cause now I'm scratching my head as to how I liked Frozen in the first place. Its flaws are just far too numerous and damning for me (the obnoxiously confusing story, Hans's plot twist coming out of fucking nowhere, Elsa's transformation not having a shred of believability.. and the songs not even being that good or memorable) and I can't give it a pass for what people are trying to claim is a modern Disney classic.

• Thumbs Up 9

Honestly, I'm not so much sick of the movie than the fans and haters that wont just shut up about it.

One side hails it as the greatest Disney movie ever made, and a revolutionary movie. It really isn't, at least in my opinion, as Sean mentioned, some of the messages in it were done a bit better in other Disney movies. Not to mention, nobody will stop quoting the movie. My middle sister just has to say "Okay Byeeeee" like in the song "Do you want to build a Snowman," Every time she's gonna leave, and I gotta say, it's starting to drive me a bit batty. 

The other treats it like an abomination that never should have been made. It really isn't, again, In my opinion. It's not a pain to sit through, it does have legitimately good moments in it, and I did find myself enjoying it. I never get why people give in to hype backlash. It's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic all over again. O

Neither side will just let it go (Erm, no pun intended..) and they feel they just have to talk on and on about it.

What I don't agree with is people who hate on Frozen because it's apparently racist. I see SO many Tumblr posts about it and bloody hell it makes me facepalm. Of course there are people who defend this movie is NOT racist whatsoever but haters gonna hate!

As for my opinion on the movie, I think it's pretty good but certainly not as great as Wreck it Ralph. Frozen has one or two songs that are really good but others are meh (Tangled had more mediocre songs IMO) and some if these so called plotholes can be explained; like how there were subtle hints throughout that Hans was the villain which is explained in a great post just a couple of pages back in this very topic and how Elsa has these powers because...well, she was born with them! She was special! It's a fucking fairy tale, do we need an explanation for everything?

The hype for this movie is unbelievable, especially after winning those two Oscars. It does annoy me how people still talk about it months after it came out, but I still think it's a decent flick. Also, I thought Monsters University was good but nothing special. Helluva a lot better than Brave though!

What I don't agree with is people who hate on Frozen because it's apparently racist. I see SO many Tumblr posts about it and bloody hell it makes me facepalm. Of course there are people who defend this movie is NOT racist whatsoever but haters gonna hate!

As for my opinion on the movie, I think it's pretty good but certainly not as great as Wreck it Ralph. Frozen has one or two songs that are really good but others are meh (Tangled had more mediocre songs IMO) and some if these so called plotholes can be explained; like how there were subtle hints throughout that Hans was the villain which is explained in a great post just a couple of pages back in this very topic and how Elsa has these powers because...well, she was born with them! She was special! It's a fucking fairy tale, do we need an explanation for everything?

The hype for this movie is unbelievable, especially after winning those two Oscars. It does annoy me how people still talk about it months after it came out, but I still think it's a decent flick. Also, I thought Monsters University was good but nothing special. Helluva a lot better than Brave though!

This is pretty much my stance on it. Except I started off with VERY low expectations because I watched it very late and everybody kept talking about how good it was, and I was like "eh, don't care, not gonna bother, if I ever get to watching it fine I will." I was ultimately blown away when I finally did watch it.

...but despite that I HATE all the hype. Still. In fact that's why I went into it with low expectations, everybody kept sharing and posting stupid news articles about singing songs from Frozen and it was pissing me off. And still is. But that said I did love the movie, and I do think its Disney's greatest movie yet that I've seen (Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph blew me away as well), but the hype is driving me frickin' nuts.

I also don't really see any real plotholes either. Elsa doesn't need a reason for her powers and Hans' face-heel-turn, though surprising, was not out of the blue as everyone says. Actually he reminds me of Loki from Thor, where he comes with a specific goal in mind and keeps changing tactics as time goes on. He doesn't show his true colors until he realizes he doesn't need Anna anymore.

Oh, and I hate how everyone flocks to Elsa because of her "cool powers." I like Elsa, but I actually like Anna more and in no way, shape, or form would be movie work with Elsa as the main protagonist.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh...I've been waiting for it to pass Iron Man 3. Yes...yes....YESSSSSSSSSSS!

Any particular, rational reason why?

I liked the movie. It was pretty great. I saw Hans' evilness from a mile away though. The LEGO Movie was better, however, and is my favorite movie right now. :P

Also, I don't really mind all the hype for the movie.

With people reevaluating their thoughts about the movie at the moment, i may as well also get in on it. I need to post something here that isn't box office news, after all. Looking back at my things have definitely changed on how I view the film. I personally think I got way too caught up in the hype at the time, and I was oblivious to its flaws. While I still think it's a good movie overall and the animation and art direction are still pretty marvelous, along with the characters and story being good, it's definitely not what I'd consider to be Disney's best since Beauty and the Beast, or the fantastic movie I made it out to be all those months ago. I'd even say that The Princess and the Frog was a better film than both this and Tangled, both as a princess film and modern innovation of the Disney Renaissance films. I don't see how the story is confusing in the slightest, heck it's pretty darn straightforward. The tweaking of the Disney Princess formula was already done before (and much better) in Enchanted, and the sibling relationship already done in Lilo & Stitch as Sean mentioned and to a degree Brother Bear. Although, I will agree that the characters weren't developed to the right degree for us to be involved with them, especially Elsa, considering she was the most interesting character in the movie, it's a bit disappointing. The music has also lessened it's appeal for me, i don't even listen to the soundtrack as much as I used to, I wouldn't even put any of the songs as Disney's greatest nowadays, even if I like Let It Go. On one hand, I am glad Disney's finally hit the jackpot after struggling for over a decade to make a name for themselves after Pixar got in the game, but I worry that they'll just rear to princess fairytales like this as a means to find their best chances of financial success and not branch out with more experimental and atypical stories (though Disney Animation's schedule for the next five years does look certainly interesting). I wouldn't even put it in my top five films by the studio, I don't even know about top ten either. It's not even the best of the "Disney Revival" era (which from Princess and the Frog to present time)... that, my friends, is this movie. You should also go see it right now.

On the topic of the hype backlash, I guess it could be understandable seeing something you don't really care about being everywhere you go, or having others trying to constantly convince you the movie's amazing when you weren't phased much by it and sticking to your guns. Right now I'm just in the "It's good, but not excellent" camp on how I view the film, and I'm still willing to defend it. Even if this post is a bit of a debbie-downer, my thoughts haven't changed on bit on Get a Horse, the short that played before it. Still innovative and hilarious as it was last year.

Oh, and another thing, The Wind Rises was easily the best animated film of 2013, even if it was released in everywhere that wasn't Japan this year (and it deserved that goddamn oscar over frozen asdhjflgflkdsl). Absolutely fantastic film in every regard, and a perfect swan song for Hayao Miyazaki. it's a simply quintessential viewing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I might as well join in.

My opinion on the film hasn't changed at all (well I'm listening to the soundtrack less but y'know.) I still find the characters engaging with a lot of depth. I still find the film visually captivating too.

Surprisingly I've barely seen any mention of the film outside of when I actively look for it, the songs are never played in the shops and I've never even heard the film mentioned on the radio (seems to just be a UK thing.)

I love it just as much as when I first saw it half a year ago and I doubt it'll diminish soon, the film connected with me on a personal level.

Here's my 2 cents: My thoughts about the movie haven't really changed, I always thought the movie had some problems like "Fixxer-Upper" and I thought "Love is an Open Door" should have been darker in tone to foreshadow the twist. I also thought Anna and Kristoff didn't have good enough chemistry.

However I still stand by my stance that the good stuff far outshines the problems. It may be just cause I'm a Kubrick fanboy and I love reading into things, but I love the subtle way Frozen explores Love, you can read my thoughts here:

This is a movie about love and what it means to love someone. Not a love story, but an exploration of what exactly means to love someone.

Anna's role:

A young woman with an emotionally traumatic childhood that is starving to fill the void in her life as a result of losing her parents and being locked in a castle without being able to be with the person she adores the most. When Hans notices her need for love he takes advantage of her. Anna is one of those damaged people that create their unrealistic idea of what love is and eventually realises that there's more to love than beauty and having things in common. That talk by the fireplace with Olaf is what gives that away.

Elsa's role:

After that horrible accident in the prologue she decides to just never go near her sister ever again. She thinks that by staying way from those she cares about so she won't hurt them is a form of love. Of course that's wrong, and the whole "Oh that's right, true love" thing is her realising that part of love is to solve any problems you have by talking things over and figuring things out. Her freezing Anna's heart is metaphorical of how shutting loved ones out of your life only hurts them, which of course shows how even by doing what she thinks is the only thing she can do hurts Anna even more.

Olaf's role:

He represents of course the real sisterly love that Anna and Elsa had before the accident, which is why it's him that tells Anna about what love truly is.

What I love most about this is that instead of playing it safe and making the typical Tangled like story where it's just basic storytelling done well, They went for a more subtle approach, choosing a theme to focus on and exploring it with clever writing.

But I'll end this with a thought that I think even Disney fans that didn't like it will agree: You guys have to look at the big picture. Now Disney finally got the hint that fairy tale musicals can still make money, so now it's safe to say they won't abandon it like they came close to a few years go. I'll be definitely looking forward to their next one. Bring back Alan Menken maybe?

So yeah that's how I view things.

Guess I'm with most others here. I still think the film is great and it's one i'll happily return to again and again in the future, but it's flawed. Han's sudden betrayal comes out of nowhere, the whole "don't fall in love with a guy you've known for a day" message gets thrown out the window when she falls in love with a guy she's known for two days, the trolls (which I don't mind personally, but I can see why many find them out of place) and the fact that several of the songs aren't all that memorable.

Overall, I think the good stuff in the movie far outshines any of the bad. Like I said, I still think it's great, but I don't think it was as good as other recent films in the canon like Tangled and in my opinion, holding it above other Disney Heavy hitters like Beauty and the beast, Hunchback and the Lion King is just silly.

I also totally get what people are saying about the hype destroying any enjoyment for people. When something that has its flaws gets lifted so high and you're constantly told it's the best thing to ever happen to the world...it gets old really quickly.

Especially Let it Go, a song I absolutely adored, which has now, for me, become as overplayed as Adele...

...it wasn't even the best song in the movie, where's all the love for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf91CU_uI7Q

...with the comparisons to Beauty and the Beast and the hype that has at this point surpassed The Lion King's (grrrr)

I agree that comparisons to Beauty and the Beast are bull because IMO there will never be another Disney film like that which can surpass its quality. It's a flipping masterpiece and one of my favourite Disney films of all time.

The Lion King on the other hand...I enjoy it and it's got some great moments, but when you really look at the movie it is flawed and very overrated too. For example, how the hell did the Pridelands go all dry and ruined so quickly? It's only been a couple of years, something like that would've realistically happened in 100 years! And I don't really like the song Hakuna Matata either. I used to love it as a kid but now...eh.

Hans is of course the first red herring, and I hate him because they couldn't think of anything particularly clever to do with him hence the total lack of foreshadowing (and no, Open Door doesn't count because there's literally nothing in the song or after that gives away any hint of negative intention until he says "fuck it." It instead just conveniently fits the heel-turn they forced onto him like a Scooby-Doo episode; "he totally used this unseen jetpack to fly!") It would've been much better to stick true to his developed character by having him kiss Anna and it simply not work, which also would've made the message more refreshingly gender-neutral.

A couple of pages back one user posted a great Tumblr post about Hans' motives and the subtle references to his evil deeds. No, not just in the Love is an Open Door scene but also the moment where Hans tries to kill Elsa by aiming a soldier's crossbow UP at the ice chandelier. Disney should have definitely made it more obvious, I agree, but the subtlety works in some ways.

Aside from the latter half bothering me structurally the song count and pacing is atrocious, and I've yet to meet someone who I've talked about that with who disagrees when I point it out, if I have to point it out. A beautiful chorus goes straight into that useless ice song no one remembers...

I do. =/

Anyways, concerning music...most of the songs do have more of pop Broadway quality to them, like Wicked. And while they are hit and miss (Let it Go and Snowman stand out as great songs) and I agree that we should've had more Nordic folky songs, I think the pacing with these songs and the sound of them was WAY better than Tangled.

Tangled was done by Alan Menken, who is known for doing some amazing Disney songs during the 90's Disney era but i think he went to the FUBAR convention when he made the songs in Tangled because only one of them is really any good and catchy! Also, there's a lot less songs and it's super jarring when a character suddenly bursts into song when we haven't had one in the entire movie since half an hour ago. When Will My Life Begin is a crappy Hannah Montana pop song, Mother Knows Best is awesome, WWMLB reprise is epic Broadway but seems out of place, I've Got a Dream is forgettable, Mother Knows Best reprise is nothing special and I See the Light is a nice song but is it really memorable? Are you going to be humming it all day? Does it have the same power and emotion as Let it Go? Hell no!

/Tangled rant over

And while this nonetheless cements the musical direction as something financially viable again I'm not confident we're necessarily getting better musicals than what we had before, and I shiver at the potential song count for Zootopia because I wouldn't be surprised if shithead execs equated that with revenue at this point.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt Zootopia will be a musical. The next Disney musical movie is going to be Giants which isn't coming out until late 2016, same year as Zootopia in fact!

Anyways, as I said before I'm not trying to defend ALL of Frozen cos I think it's only just good too! I only want to defend some points like the Hans thing, the songs and those stupid comments about Frozen being racist. >>

That is all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I See the Light is a nice song but is it really memorable? Are you going to be humming it all day? Does it have the same power and emotion as Let it Go? Hell no!

Honestly, I think Let It Go is weaker than I See The Light. 

Speaking of which... is For The First Time In Forever awfully similar to And At Last I See The Light ?