Awoo.

The Knuckles Topic - Is monkey a Knuckles-butt?

Indigo Rush

About the only explanation I can think of is that Knuckles has Mighty the Armadillo guarding the Master Emerald 24/7. It would explain why he hasn't shown up with the rest of the Chaotix since their debut game, at least. tongue.png

But on a more serious note, I would appreciate it if Knuckles became less of a dumb character. It kind of feels like they're imparting Big's characterization onto him because they have no way of using Big himself without Froggy going missing again.

I'll admit that Knuckles' initial "rough around the edges" persona from the Adventure games wouldn't work too well now that Shadow is a recurring character, nor would his desire for independence since he's been a member of Team Sonic/Team Heroes for a while now.

However, his impulsiveness is a trait that could stand to be played up more, causing him to go off and do things on his own that would be best solved with a group.

Why the fuck was Knuckles in Soleanna?

Seriously, the game offers us no reason other than "oh I just happen to be in the area".

And yeah, this was probably Knuckles' most egregious appearance.

Edited by Hobgoblin

Knuckles states in Sonic Battle that Chaos appears in times of crisis right? So, we could say that Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog '05, Sonic the Hedgehog '06, etc were times of Crisis, and Knuckles had Chaos protect the M.E. while Knuckles took care of things on the surface with Sonic and Tails.

Don't forget that as the Master Emerald's original guardian, Chaos would technically have more of an obligation to it than Knuckles. But I digress...

I think the problem with Knuckles is that he doesn't DO anything anymore. Whenever he's included these days, it's less because his skills would be useful, and more because he's one of the few characters that reviewers don't complain about. If they made him playable again and gave him a good role in the story, I don't think he'd take very long to rise out of that "muscular idiot" persona he currently has.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget that as the Master Emerald's original guardian, Chaos would technically have more of an obligation to it than Knuckles. But I digress...

I think the problem with Knuckles is that he doesn't DO anything anymore. Whenever he's included these days, it's less because his skills would be useful, and more because he's one of the few characters that reviewers don't complain about. If they made him playable again and gave him a good role in the story, I don't think he'd take very long to rise out of that "muscular idiot" persona he currently has.

I agree. I wish they would have multiple stories like they did in SA  and SA2. It not only makes the other characters more valuable, but it makes the story more in depth. The story seen from several different perspectives in SA was a plus, because you get a better feel for how each character was thinking, and a more well rounded story.

I think , In regards to the Master Emerald, Knuckles can sense it and he knows whether or not it is okay by feeling it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he can always tell exactly the moment it disappears, but if it got away, he would definitely know. Just like he can sense the Emerald pieces from so far away. Also, I think when someone takes the emerald away, and Angel Island crashes into the ocean, Knuckles passes out, and he probably goes out for a while. I think that is how Rouge and Eggman may have gotten so far away with the Master Emerald in the past.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its not just knuckles, all the characters don't do anything anymore. I miss the other character gameplay something fierce. I loved generations. But having Knuckles and Shadow as cheerleaders just was not realistic to me. First of all they always fight problems head on, they would never lay back quietly. Plus neither of them are very good at the whole happy pep thing. Especially Shadow. Shadow on a good day -> angry.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking about one thing, don't know if it was already brought up here, but remember in SA when Knuckles finished collecting all the pieces of the Master Emerald? That on the final story it was shown not even then the Angel Island went back on air? I don't remember it ever confirming the Island floating again after the whole thing was over, so it probably means that the great power of the ME was basically Chaos' presence there, and once he got out, the stone is nothing but a glorified Chaos Emerald that can control the others.

Now, on SA2 Knuckes is still on his guardian duties, but probably because he didn't got used to the idea that the Master Emerald isn't that much powerful or dangerous anymore, and his mission is basically over, since Chaos now is free and went to wherever he and Tikal went. So as long as Knuckles either brings the ME with him on a hammerspace like he did on SA2 or simply leaves it somewhere he thinks its safe, because lets be honest here, he could very well hide the ME on any place of the Angel Island and it would be safe, since the Island is full of traps, and go on adventures. You could argue the ME would be useful with stopping villains that want to use the Chaos Emeralds, but collecting the Emeralds before the villain does is arguably the easiest choice, since the heroes are already used with collecting the emeralds and most of them are fast enough to collect the gems before the villain does, and that way it not only leaves the ME safe on Knuckles' island full of traps, but he also doesn't bring it with him to the dangerous stuff, and can go on the adventures without having to worry with his duty that much.

Sorry if this is the wrong topic, I couldn't find somewhere else to post it.

Ya know what I would do, I'd bring back the Hidden Palace. Having a shrine exist in the center of the island underground, its obvious nobody would ever find it. In fact, Eggman probably only found it after searching the entire island and Knuckles more than likely did not tip him off about it(Hence his surprise at Eggman being in the Hidden Palace).

• Thumbs Up 1

*looks at tittle* guys would you rather have knux as a butt monkey or a hot pocket of destiny?

*looks at tittle* guys would you rather have knux as a butt monkey or a hot pocket of destiny?

That's only going to make sense for those who read the Archie comic or at least are on Bumbleking.

I've been thinking about one thing, don't know if it was already brought up here, but remember in SA when Knuckles finished collecting all the pieces of the Master Emerald? That on the final story it was shown not even then the Angel Island went back on air? I don't remember it ever confirming the Island floating again after the whole thing was over, so it probably means that the great power of the ME was basically Chaos' presence there, and once he got out, the stone is nothing but a glorified Chaos Emerald that can control the others.

Now, on SA2 Knuckes is still on his guardian duties, but probably because he didn't got used to the idea that the Master Emerald isn't that much powerful or dangerous anymore, and his mission is basically over, since Chaos now is free and went to wherever he and Tikal went. So as long as Knuckles either brings the ME with him on a hammerspace like he did on SA2 or simply leaves it somewhere he thinks its safe, because lets be honest here, he could very well hide the ME on any place of the Angel Island and it would be safe, since the Island is full of traps, and go on adventures. You could argue the ME would be useful with stopping villains that want to use the Chaos Emeralds, but collecting the Emeralds before the villain does is arguably the easiest choice, since the heroes are already used with collecting the emeralds and most of them are fast enough to collect the gems before the villain does, and that way it not only leaves the ME safe on Knuckles' island full of traps, but he also doesn't bring it with him to the dangerous stuff, and can go on the adventures without having to worry with his duty that much.

Sorry if this is the wrong topic, I couldn't find somewhere else to post it.

I'm pretty sure Chaos went back to the Master Emerald at the end of SA1, so the island should still be in midair.

But I agree that it would make more sense for the Master Emerald to be hidden somewhere, and not kept in the Emerald Shrine where anyone can get at it.

How about as a decent character?

Can people get it into their heads that we're not restricted to just two things?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't really see Knuckles as a buttmonkey to be fair, the only real moment where he acted REALLY dumb was when he got fooled by Eggman on SA, and on the overall of 06, which apparently was trying to turn him into a buttmonkey indeed, but otherwise, I see him not as a fool or someone dumb, but a dude who takes himself too seriously and tries to look badass but gets some karma on his arse for showing off. The scene where Sonic freed him on the White Space shows this in spades, he's all like ''Oh thanks, but I could free myself anytime I wanted'' and Sonic's face pretty much calls bullshit on what Knuckles said, same thing at the end of Generations and at the begining of Lost World, he is trying to keep his rivalry with Sonic, showing off how much better he is, poking fun at him sometimes, but gets screwed most of the times for showing off or simply is ignored because there are more important stuff going on, and he shows how much his friendship with Sonic grew, being one of the first ones to cheer for Sonic after the Time Eater squashed him, revealing that he respects Sonic a lot. You could say Knuckles' character got flanderized, but that would be because since 06, and with what we have of Lost Worlds right now, Knuckles has only spoken four times, once when he got free from White Space, then at the final battle with the Time Eater, then at the ending of Generations, and then on the second cutscene of Lost World. While on the White Space and the Picnic he tried to show off, he also knew when to stop acting like an idiot at the Time Eater cutscene, and while that cutscene on Lost World

shows him showing off a little, he was also calling Sonic out on not rescuing the animals, showing concern for the critter, as you can clearly see him trying to calm them down and play with them while Amy spoke with Sonic, showing he also has a soft spot for the critters.

I think we just need to wait and see, Lost Worlds seems to be balancing Knuckles pretty well as of now.

Edited by Ratcicle King
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel Knuckles suffers from the shadow syndrome.

The adventure games have a habit of making a character shine, but removing their purpose in the end.

Knuckles found out about his history, and didn't feel like he was trapped by the M.E. goes out to party with the heroes more.

Shadow found out who he was, lost it, found out again, and chose to forget all dat noise. Now? He's just a rival.

Knuckles. to be relevant, needs a new plot revelation, perhaps a new character or revealed family member or something, to give him a drive.

I'd love to have a game where it's only Knuckles playing in a similar way to how his story went in Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

I still get chills when you're fighting the last boss and the Floating Island is tilting in the air as if it's balancing on a giant pin as the Doomsday track plays.

Unfortunately, all the Sonic characters apart from Sonic and Eggman are slowly being phased out of games, I mean...how long has it been since the other characters were playable in games that weren't handhelds or multiplayer? I guess maybe since Sonic 06?

Ya know what Knuckles should do; he should be that character who shows up when you least expect it and establishes himself by wrecking everything in the area, and then brag about how he saved Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know what Knuckles should do; he should be that character who shows up when you least expect it and establishes himself by wrecking everything in the area, and then brag about how he saved Sonic.

Then, the next day, he gets really mad because the news paper says "Sonic saved the day!" and he goes to make it even with Sonic...

But then Knuckles acts like a butt instead of simply being one. It'd be like:

Knuckles: YEAH! Lets see you get out of that without MY help!

Sonic: Geez, what a butt...

• Thumbs Up 1

But then Knuckles acts like a butt instead of simply being one. It'd be like:

Knuckles: YEAH! Lets see you get out of that without MY help!

Sonic: Geez, what a butt...

That's exactly how I can see it playing out too; Knuckles bragging how he 'saved' the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's exactly how I can see it playing out too; Knuckles bragging how he 'saved' the day.

Heheh, I guess the topic title is really true regarding that.

He is a Knuckles-butt.

Doesn't he try to brag in Lost World too? Saying something like "Only one? I could do more than that!"

Ya know, that Sonic and Knuckles rivalry is what makes me like Knuckles more and more! :D BRING BACK THE RIVALS!! :D

Heheh, I guess the topic title is really true regarding that.   He is a Knuckles-butt.   Doesn't he try to brag in Lost World too? Saying something like "Only one? I could do more than that!"
Man and people say sonic has an ego

Eeyup, he's jealous of Sonic so obviously he tries to brag how much he's "better" than him to prove his superiority. I actually like that, because it seems like a natural evolution of his character from Sonic 3.

Man and people say sonic has an ego

They're both arrogant assholes...hence why they don't get along.

• Thumbs Up 2

That would get old after the second time. 

That would get old after the second time. 

Why does it have to be played exactly the same every time he shows up?

Why does it have to be played exactly the same every time he shows up?

It's still the same basic thing. It wouldn't be any more interesting than him being fooled by Eggman every time he shows up.

I thought the point was for Knuckles to be interesting. Not just LOOK cool. Him looking like a badass all the time isn't actually more interesting than him being a bit of a goofball. I'd actually argue that it's less interesting.