Awoo.

Game (UK Retailer) Discussion

Patticus

Let's not envy the staff discount, it's the only positive thing GAME or Gamestation's staff have to cling to at this point. I imagine many of them are not even sure they'll see a pay-packet for their efforts with the firesale and all. Plus being on sale puts them in an awkward situation, because odds are many stores will close, woe betide if you happen to be working in an area with more than one GAME or both GAME and Gamestation.

I'm not envying their position right now all I'm saying is that they'll probably get first dibs with huge discounts. But when the store opens at 9AM, the general public won't see those kind of discounts until literally the last day of trading.

I seem to remember hearing stories from staff at my local Woolworths about how when the closure of the chain was announced that they were allowed to do some shopping prior to the public, some of them managed to snag state of the art laptops and HD TV's for as little as £10

Which is why when people were going in there on the first day the sales were on, a lot of people where asking what happened to the consoles and the computing stuff? Most of it had already gone to the staff.

There was a bot of a debate at least where I worked about 'whilst it's good that the staff have 'something' since their future employment isn't great, if Woolworths owes so much money, surely they should be trying to sell stuff and actually pay the people they owe money to?'

It's an interesting debate. On the one hand you have the 'cog in the machine' workforce who don't make policy who are owed money. On the other you have people who are owed money but not the 'big corportate monster' such as gift card holders or people who had some form of credit with the store that didn't get any return on what they had paid for.

It'll be the same with Game, I was looking around the stores a lot on Saturday, at least 2 people went in and asked about Mass Effect 3, not 'will you get it in stock' but 'did you have it' not once were they told 'we're not stocking it' nor were they given any hint about GAME's troubles. In fact one guy was even convinced to sign up for a reward card!

I doubt many general customers are aware, in fact had it not been for SSMB chances are I wouldn't know about it either.

Just when game goes belly up, theres going to be tons of people with useless reward points or gift cards since they won't be usable.

As the lower performing store will be the one to go ( that's assuming a buyer actually swoops in at this point)

I don't think it's as simple as that.

Theres 2 games in Hull, the one they're closing is the one which stocks all the merchandise, a much larger range of Games and is the larger of the two. It's proximity to Gamestation is also further away than the other too.

But.... the lease on the unit is much older than the other store. I think thats the reason they picked that one over the other one. In the event that the business is saved, they won't have to worry about the lease for a long time yet.

Edited by Hogfather

I had no idea this is happening to GAME. Although when I visited one of their stores earlier today they had posters stating 'sales on lots of products' so I did wonder.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I might well have to make another visit if GAME aren't looking to go on much longer. See what else they have up for grabs.

(Was kind of annoyed to see that I got Super Pokémon Rumble for £20 and it had been knocked down to £15, but I used gift cards, so didn't actually pay for anything)

So guys, I went to Gamestation today and found a catch which(I think, but still interesting nonetheless), I'm quite pround with.

A translucent blue Dreamcast VMU. Sealed, NTSC-U, 98p.

And the lady who served me looked confused as I handed it over to pay for "Wow, I've never seen one of these before" "Oh yeah, It is for the Dreamcast. A pretty old console. But decent."

Now, I'm not a die-hard Dreamcast collector(more of a miscellaneous collector XD), but even I could tell that this was worth somewhat more than 98p(I think they put it out today, as I didn't see it on Saturday when I went in). But I think I shall be holding on to it. I'm going to take good care of this sealed beauty.

As well as that, I got two copies of Untold Legends, 98p each. Was hesitant, but when I saw they had two copies(and co-op!) I picked them up, one for me and one for my brother (And was asked the insulting "So how old are you?" question. >.> (18, btw))

Edited by Bisylizzie
  • Thumbs Up 1

As long as this doesn't happen, I won't mind:

*video*

Uh, GAME is already EXACTLY like that.

^ lol pretty much, although it varies from store to store.

Went into Gamestation today to see what they had, not much that we want right now so I only got Archer Maclean's Mercury for PSP because it was 48p. As an example to go with the above the guy offered me NOTHING and didn't even seal the game so yeah, not all GAME/Gamestation stores are the same.

Edited by Mollfie

Uh, GAME is already EXACTLY like that.

I've only got that kinda stuff when buying a console. D= Sometimes they'll say "by the way these controllers are only £xx at the moment" but that's it.

Typing this from a GAME store.

Internal email has just been sent to every store, Game are NOT stocking Resident Evil operation Raccoon City.

All pre orders will be refunded +£5 extra credit.

Also, psp games drastically reduced, arkham city collector editions going for £20, new and sealed.

^(GAME)Yeah, the most I've ever experienced is a kinda "You want this, sure" If they have something related on offer, they usually make a comment about it, "So, we've got this related game quite cheaply" or "The guide is only X much, right now", we've already got a card, so that is fine... It could just be the whole recognition thing, they know that we may be interested in something, so they mention it - One I remember is when we went in there to get a couple of games, and they had one of the Fallout special editions on sale, and they mentioned it, to which we were kinda, "Oh yeah, that's pretty good" and picked it up as well.

IT's just annoying that some staff seem to know nothing about what they are talking about DX

(Gamestation) Ages ago, I picked up a preowned game, and that member of staff(The same one who asked me about the dreamcast, even more recently thought Tails was a girl when I bought the classic figure) asked me if I was buying or trading in. (Not like the giant preowned sticker and the fact I just kinda, picked it up off the shelf, almost around the corner from her, was any indicator). The other day, she was also helping some women looking at DS', but not quite explaining the differences between the different versions("That's the basic one, that's the upgraded one, that one has a camera, and that one is a bigger one with camera and that one is the new one")

However, the other staff in this store are pretty pleasant, know what they're talking about (I got recommended an elite card, because I went in there so often). They'll ask if I'm looking for anything in particular, and will help with that, will help with general queries about games and stuff...

They are? I've never experienced anything like that...I only ever get into 10-minute long conversations about the game I'm buying. Sure, they ask if I've got a Reward Card and if I've ever said no they'll just say "Oh, okay then" and carry on with the transaction. tongue.png

Edited by HYDROCITEE

The only bad experience I remember at GAME was when I picked up a copy of Polarium for my DS (this was back when they had their different return policy). The person at the till somewhat snidely said "just so you know, you can return THAT within ten days".

...I did end up selling it down the line, but beside the point. There were signs up advertising their return policy, so why bother telling me, especially with an attitude to boot.

So as I mentioned earlier.

GAME will not be stocking the new Resident Evil, all pre-orders will recieve £5 instore credit as an apology (if the company is still running when that occurs), this information hasn't been made public yet, I only found out because the store manager more or less announced it to his store, told them all not to take anymore pre-orders on it because they're not going to be stocking it.

Now, I've noticed that many of the cheap pre-owned games have changed, it looks like they are re-stocking them with other titles, but no mega bargains on what I saw.

However... the PSP sale has finally kicked off... and like... wow!

gameoveryeah.jpg

All of that came to just over £20. I also got one hell of a bargain on a collectors edition... Arkham City, brand new copy, £20!

gameoveryeah2.jpg

It seems like GAME have issued new instructions regarding collectors editions, they're all to be slashed in price, and it seems that if they're not selling by the end of the day, the price is reduced even more, the staff at one store I went to told me that they were selling collectors editions for "Warhammer" for just over £2.

No idea which game that was, but I assume it was this one.

Keep checking Game and Gamestation because there are bargains there, also ask them if they have any collectors editions not on display, you never know.

=================================

In other news.

Confirmation that GAME will not be stocking Resident Evil.

Confirmation that Team Koei's Ninja Gaiden 3 & Warriors Orochi 3 will not be stocked at game.

More possible buyers for Game emerge.

Edited by Hogfather

From Twitter.

cb8b6432.jpg

I would so snap one of those up if I saw one. Although it does make you wonder what they were thinking when they decided to buy as many units of a product as they did. How there are still Batman collector editions left over I don't know... but Skyrim!? Insane.

• Thumbs Up 1

You got Arkham City Collector's Edition for £20?! Bloody hell. If I'd seen that in either of the Game stores I went into today, I'd have snapped that up like you wouldn't believe! Especially as they're still selling the Robin edition for £40.

I went in on the lookout for Rayman Origins, along with 3 games to trade-in to get the 25% extra cash. Unfortuntely, there was no Rayman. I decided to trade-in anyway. I would have received £10.10 as trade-in. I explained about Rayman, and asked for cash. £5.

To be fair, he offered to order in a copy of Rayman, but he wouldn't be able to do that until Monday. He also said he would put the £10.10 onto a Game giftcard, so I could use that on Monday. But...I didn't feel comfortable waiting until Monday when they could go under any day now, and the manager said I couldn't use the giftcard online myself.

In the end, I declined the trade and left. I was also told they probably wouldn't be getting any more copies of Rayman, but I don't kow if that's due to cash problems or just its relative obscurity.

You got Arkham City Collector's Edition for £20?!

Yup.

But if I wanted to, I could also have bought a normal used copy of Arkham City for the sum of.... £20... .. . I can't think why GAME are having so many problems can you? With fine decision making like that.

Went the Cinema to today and I decided stop at the local GAME.

The preowned 360 section was rather empty.

The deals there were pretty shite to be honest, most of them were really really cheap bargin bin type games. I managed to get Mafia II for a £10 where it is stil £15 in Gamestation, got Just Cause 1 for £3, no manual but I probably find a PDF of it online (Sucks when people can't look after stuff for shit). I also got Valve's Orange Box for £13 which in my opinion was probably the best bu out of all of them.

Funny on the shelves they were showing Mass Effect 3 Strategy Guide still for £15 even though they can't sell the actual game you need the guide for.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

Oh, people who can't look after their games are a major pet peeve for me. I keep my games in as good a condition as possible, and frequently when I trade stuff in, people comment on the condition. I don't see how it's difficult to look after your games.

• Thumbs Up 6

Aww, I went to GAME this weekend to check what deals they had, and found several games I used to have for the DS that I got rid of, for reasons I can't remember...let's see...

Rhythm Paradise, £1.99

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, £2.99

Advance Wars Dark Conflict, £1.98

Chrono Trigger, £7.99

Sonic Rush, £9.99

But the're not the main reason for my post. It was the guys behind the counter. I mentioned before about the workers usually being annoying...

Well this time it was different. First thing, the guy who served me actually recognized my manga t-shirt. They where also talking to me and smiling, which is something I'm not used too. They where also pretty funny, quoting moments from Family Guy and making funny noises, while he struggled to locate the games I was buying inside the draws at the back.

I was probably waiting for 20 minutes, but I didn't care. XP

Plus I bought some games for my brother and he didn't notice them at first, so after spending several minutes finding my games, I pointed out the other ones I was getting and then he gave me a reaction that was a mix of surprise and laughter. lol

After all the games are found he notices that I'll need two bags for the games and follows with this brilliant line. "Well we're not trying to save the world here...but if it does end, it's on you!" lol That cracked me up. happy.png

Hey is it just my local stores... or has anyone else noticed that virtually none of the items like controllers, cables, and uiseful accessories (not talking about carry cases and extra stylus' have not been reduced in "the last hurrah?"

Edit: I think we should edit into the title "The Last Hurrah"

Hey is it just my local stores... or has anyone else noticed that virtually none of the items like controllers, cables, and uiseful accessories (not talking about carry cases and extra stylus' have not been reduced in "the last hurrah?"

Edit: I think we should edit into the title "The Last Hurrah"

In the Gamestation by where I work they've reduced what pre-owned accessories they have and knocked a little off the new ones. They've heavily discounted the official PS3 Bluetooth headsets to £7.99 if I recall correctly.

And despite all this, Sonic Heroes (PS2) is STILL £7.99 at my local GAME store.

The flying fuck.