Awoo.

Game (UK Retailer) Discussion

Patticus

I heard that GAME is the reason why Europeans are getting releases on Friday and not Tuesday like the rest of us. So if GAME goes down, maybe just maybe, you will get the games on Tuesday like us Americans.

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard that GAME is the reason why Europeans are getting releases on Friday and not Tuesday like the rest of us. So if GAME goes down, maybe just maybe, you will get the games on Tuesday like us Americans.

I don't see how that makes any sense. GAME aren't the ones who decide release dates, it's the publishers. In a few rare cases game's aren't released on Friday anyway. Also, why is a Tuesday release date any better than a Friday one?

I don't see how that makes any sense. GAME aren't the ones who decide release dates, it's the publishers. In a few rare cases game's aren't released on Friday anyway. Also, why is a Tuesday release date any better than a Friday one?

No it's not *just* the publishers who decide the release date. Publishers have to agree with GAME to make all games release on Friday with an exception of a worldwide release which they have to negotiate even further with them.

Do you honestly really think EVERY publisher wants the game to be released on Friday?

Why a Tuesday release better than Friday's? Um, that's a silly question even for you. People want to play the game as soon as possible. They don't want to wait extra days. I've seen many Europeans before cry about having to wait longer while Americans get their hands first on it. (Trust me, I visit PS3 trophy sites and Facebook to get enough evidence)

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 1

No it's not *just* the publishers who decide the release date. Publishers have to agree with GAME to make all games release on Friday with an exception of a worldwide release which they have to negotiate even further with them.

No, the publishers set the release date. With online retail being as popular as it is, there's absolutely no way GAME would be at the forefront of deciding when to release games. Publishers set the release date at a time that suits them. Fridays are a sensible time to do it- all week for a game to stocked nationwide, people have the weekend to buy a game when it's brand new, it's been done that way for years and so has become tradition amongst other reasons.

Do you honestly really think EVERY publisher wants the game to be released on Friday?

Yes. When there's a system in place that works to maximise sales, they will want to stick to it.

Why a Tuesday release better than Friday's? Um, that's a silly question even for you. People want to play the game as soon as possible. They don't want to wait extra days. I've seen many Europeans before cry about having to wait longer while Americans get their hands first on it. (Trust me, I visit PS3 trophy sites and Facebook to get enough evidence)

Release dates always annoy whoever get it last. But allow me to show you some things...

Sonic Colours release dates:

NA: Tuesday November 16, 2010

EUR: Friday November 12, 2010

Pokémon Black/White release dates:

NA: Sunday March 6, 2011

EUR: Friday March 4, 2011

Kirby's Epic Yarn release dates:

NA: Sunday October 17, 2010

EUR: Friday February 25, 2011

We get games before America sometimes, entirely dependant on what the publisher decides. And in other cases, how closely together the game is released either side of the pond isn't even a consideration. GAME are not the ones who decide the release dates. Especially not when they're a failing business from which some publishers have decided to pull support.

Edited by HYDROCITEE

No GAME... you shouldn't ask customers to pre-order Ashuras Wrath or Tekken Vs Street Fighter if you're not going to sell it... thats what we call misleading customers...

And why do you still have these on display...?

Photo-0015.jpg

Taken today in one of my local stores after I got asked if I wanted to pre-order it for the second time...

Also, spotted something else of interest, but couldn't take a photo of it due to security in the shopping centre. Giant flipchart in the doorway to the store. Had on it a bunch of games, some already out, others not out yet...

Right at the top. "Tekken/street fighter. Trade in for £35"

That is quite a lot for a new game, trade in, then it struct me... how much do you want to bet the 'preowned' price for these games will be around £45?

Edited by Hogfather

No, the publishers set the release date. With online retail being as popular as it is, there's absolutely no way GAME would be at the forefront of deciding when to release games. Publishers set the release date at a time that suits them. Fridays are a sensible time to do it- all week for a game to stocked nationwide, people have the weekend to buy a game when it's brand new, it's been done that way for years and so has become tradition amongst other reasons.

Yes, the publishers DO set a release date but cannot make it any other day of the week apart from Friday, unless it's a worldwide release. You say Fridays are a sensible time to do it because they have all week to stock, how come Australia and the US, which are like 10x bigger than the UK in size manage to stock all their games before Tuesday and the British can't?

It became a tradition because how long has GAME been with you?

Yes. When there's a system in place that works to maximise sales, they will want to stick to it.

Maximize sales? I don't understand that. What difference does it make? Tuesday and Friday are within the same week, and they collect the sales figures within THAT week, not just Friday. if you personally can't get it on Tuesday then you can wait 'til Friday to purchase it.

Gee, nice little insult you needlessly threw in there.

I don't see this as an insult because I know you are intelligent, but sometimes an intelligent guy asks a silly question. But if I did offend you with that, I'm sorry.

Release dates always annoy whoever get it last. But allow me to show you some things...

Sonic Colours release dates:

NA: Tuesday November 16, 2010

EUR: Friday November 12, 2010

Pokémon Black/White release dates:

NA: Sunday March 6, 2011

EUR: Friday March 4, 2011

Kirby's Epic Yarn release dates:

NA: Sunday October 17, 2010

EUR: Friday February 25, 2011

We get games before America sometimes, entirely dependant on what the publisher decides. And in other cases, how closely together the game is released either side of the pond isn't even a consideration. GAME are not the ones who decide the release dates. Especially not when they're a failing business from which some publishers have decided to pull support.

You could have gotten it before us sometimes because we had stock, translation and licensing issues. That is what held Super Smash Bros. Brawl for example in Europe with the translation.

In Eastern Europe, especially places like Kuwait when GAME isn't there, do you know how they get their games very early? A online friend of mine lives there and got the European copy of Mass Effect 3 & Street Fighter X Tekken yesterday. I can even show you his Facebook pic for proof if you like.

Publishers make sure the games are in stock for all retailers at least a week before the release date. Not on the week of the release.

Edited by Ming Ming Love

^Right, I can't actually give a full detailed explanation to that, but that has been the way it has been in the UK.

Why do we have cds released on a Monday? Because that's how it has been over here

We seem to be on different release schedules for everything - eshop on Thursday, PSN/XBL on Tuesdays. CDs on Monday, as I mentioned above.

Yes, the publishers DO set a release date but cannot make it any other day of the week apart from Friday, unless it's a worldwide release. You say Fridays are a sensible time to do it because they have all week to stock, how come Australia and the US, which are like 10x bigger than the UK in size manage to stock all their games before Tuesday and the British can't?

It became a tradition because how long has GAME been with you?

Since 1991. Electronics Boutique in 1995, and Future Zone before then - don't know from when... And to the stock question, it's just the day that they get their games out on the shelves/actually available to buy. Yes, they have their stock in before, but they can't legally sell it till the Friday - however, online retailers seem to get around this by sending stock to preorderers in good time before the release.

Maximize sales? I don't understand that. What difference does it make? Tuesday and Friday are within the same week, and they collect the sales figures within THAT week, not just Friday. if you personally can't get it on Tuesday then you can wait 'til Friday to purchase it.

Apparently it's to do with the government stating that that was the day for most of these releases. GAME has been around since 1991 in the UK, so it's most likely been Friday releases since then - getting games ready to release for the weekend. It avoids the things you have in America where people deliberately book days off work to play the new games - many people here have a whole two days off for the weekend that they could play these new games. We had Electronics Boutique from about 1995, with Future Zone before that(not sure when they started up, but I would have assumed before GAME.

Many people are paid on Friday as well, so it makes logical sense to release games on the day when people get their pay, as they may be more likely to buy a game.

But yeah, again, it's just the way it's been done.

You could have gotten it before us sometimes because we had stock, translation and licensing issues. That is what held Super Smash Bros. Brawl for example in Europe with the translation.

In Eastern Europe, especially places like Kuwait when GAME isn't there, do you know how they get their games very early? A online friend of mine lives there and got the European copy of Mass Effect 3 & Street Fighter X Tekken yesterday. I can even show you his Facebook pic for proof if you like.

Publishers make sure the games are in stock for all retailers at least a week before the release date. Not on the week of the release.

Surely it all depends where you order from? As I said, online retailers get their stock shipped out earlier - ShopTo.net for example is KNOWN for getting their preorders shipped at the beginning of the week, with their shipping taking a day or so to arrive

But yeah, it's just the way it's been, just like how you guys have had your releases on Tuesdays.

^Right, I can't actually give a full detailed explanation to that, but that has been the way it has been in the UK.

Why do we have cds released on a Monday? Because that's how it has been over here

We seem to be on different release schedules for everything - eshop on Thursday, PSN/XBL on Tuesdays. CDs on Monday, as I mentioned above.

Well Monday is probably the best day of week to release CDs and DVDs anyway, as sometimes we also get the CDs/DVDs on Monday, but most of the time Tuesday.

And I know a lot about PSN, PSN Europe used to release stuff on Thursdays, but now for the past year (I think?) they have been releasing content on Wednesdays.

Don't know about eshop though because I never used it.

Since 1991. Electronics Boutique in 1995, and Future Zone before then - don't know from when... And to the stock question, it's just the day that they get their games out on the shelves/actually available to buy. Yes, they have their stock in before, but they can't legally sell it till the Friday - however, online retailers seem to get around this by sending stock to preorderers in good time before the release.

Well I know Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) was released on a Sunday for Europe and that was before GAME Group was formed...

But you know, as I said - I only heard about this, and it has been mentioned like 3 times with 3 different people in gaming blog comments and it's like the pieces are coming together. Next time it is mentioned, I'm going to ask them to give a full explanation.

Apparently it's to do with the government stating that that was the day for most of these releases. GAME has been around since 1991 in the UK, so it's most likely been Friday releases since then - getting games ready to release for the weekend. It avoids the things you have in America where people deliberately book days off work to play the new games - many people here have a whole two days off for the weekend that they could play these new games. We had Electronics Boutique from about 1995, with Future Zone before that(not sure when they started up, but I would have assumed before GAME.

Well if the government really did make some kind of act that all games must be released on Fridays and nothing else then fine, although I can't find that anywhere. Still doesn't explain the worldwide releases though. MW2 and Final Fantasy XIII came out on a Tuesday worldwide, that's breaking what the government had set.

Many people are paid on Friday as well, so it makes logical sense to release games on the day when people get their pay, as they may be more likely to buy a game.

Yah, but as I said before if you personally can't get the game on Tuesday, wait until Friday to get it. The game will still be waiting for you if you pre-ordered.

Surely it all depends where you order from? As I said, online retailers get their stock shipped out earlier - ShopTo.net for example is KNOWN for getting their preorders shipped at the beginning of the week, with their shipping taking a day or so to arrive

But yeah, it's just the way it's been, just like how you guys have had your releases on Tuesdays.

GAME Group has a massive warehouse, like any other group, they stock in games a week before the release in case something goes wrong. Doing things LAST minute is dangerous and could turn out to be a nightmare. What if it's snowing for example?

ShopTo.net gets their stock early in the release week because they are ONLY an online retailer, they don't have stores around the country to deliver to. ShopTo.net has the time in the WORLD to deliver games to customers as all they have to do is to package it up and let Royal Mail (is that the name of your postal service?) do the rest.

Edited by Ming Ming Love

My local Game said that they will have Street Fighter x Tekken by 16th March.

Guess I will have to spend my money at another place this friday.

Just a quick short reply, but I have to answer a point...

Yah, but as I said before if you personally can't get the game on Tuesday, wait until Friday to get it. The game will still be waiting for you if you pre-ordered.

Actually, most game stores here have a policy where if you preorder and do not pick the game up within two days (on either the Friday or Saturday), after a certain time they offer the copy up to anyone who is looking for the game, if they don't have enough stock on the rest of the shop floor/wherever. This goes for preorder bonuses as well.

It is an unusual way of going about it, but what they do. And if they end up overstocked with preorder bonuses cause people don't pick them up, they just stick them in with normal copies until they run out of stock with them.

Actually, most game stores here have a policy where if you preorder and do not pick the game up within two days (on either the Friday or Saturday), after a certain time they offer the copy up to anyone who is looking for the game, if they don't have enough stock on the rest of the shop floor/wherever. This goes for preorder bonuses as well.

It is an unusual way of going about it, but what they do. And if they end up overstocked with preorder bonuses cause people don't pick them up, they just stick them in with normal copies until they run out of stock with them.

Oh wow!

*checks all the PS3 listings*

All out of stock... lol well that lasted long. Might head back into game/gamestation tomorrow see if theres any instore offers.

Oh wow!

*checks all the PS3 listings*

All out of stock... lol well that lasted long. Might head back into game/gamestation tomorrow see if theres any instore offers.

I got Cooking Guide and 100 Books for the DS on the online site tonight with my £2 worth of GAME points. It's nothing fancy, but I traded in Cooking Guide a while back and wouldn't mind having it again for that price (and 100 books for 98p on my DS? Sold!)

A lot of Nintendo titles have been priced down, New Super Mario Bros can be brought for a nice £15 while Rayman Origins Wii can be picked up for a cool £14

According to employees posting on Neo-Gaf - the sale is going up in parts. Yesterday they priced up 360, DS, 3DS and PSP - PS3, PC and "mint" games will be priced down tomorrow, with hardware priced down Friday. Another source saying RBS are starting to get VERY antsy about GAME's issues, likely because March 31st is the end of the Fiscal Year. RBS won't want to be coming into the New Financial year with a big dead weight of debt on it. This sale is something of a make or break for GAME at this rate

Though IMO it's looking pretty bad, the last thing any retailer would ever do is sell off the preowned stock. Because that, accessories and the insurance are the only thing GAME & Gamestation gets 100% profit from - it's their basic bread and butter, and now they are cutting it down in price. Which might generate some short term profit, but it won't make their finance's look better, in fact it'll look worse. It may give them some money to buy new stock, but then its another thing altogether if Publishers will be willing to take that risk at this point too.

I guess this might be buying them time to hash out any potental deals with buyers for the Group, which makes a little more sense. Because this doesn't seem like a viable plan to me with the company as is - they are already low on preowned stock as is (if the site is anything to go by) and hardly that many people knew about the firesale starting (I didn't catch wind till late evening personally). Once that's all gone, they'll have nothing left to hawk for cash

Note, unless your store has preowned Vita and PS3 games, don't expect to get any sony title for cheap - Sony's stickers on the current stock mean GAME can't mess with those new copies or sell them cheaper unless Sony agrees, which they are not very likely to do - it also means in the event GAME goes into administration, Sony can claim their titles back and sell them elsewhere, rather than watching all that stock go for cheap. This in itself is a large reason why Publishers are not getting behind GAME, because if they do go under, a lot of publishers stock would be vastly devalued, which will have a HORRIBLE knock on effect for the industry. People have learned to be wary, specially after Woollies death took a huge chunk out of the high street and sales.

It has begun. The "Spring Clean" as they're calling it... or as I'm calling it "The Last Hurrah!"

There are however some crazy bargains to be had here. There are number of games which are not that old for under £10. Spotted new copies of Bulletstorm and Brink for under £10 each.

The selection is split into new and pre-owned games, so check both lists.

I was able to find one epic bargain. A brand new copy of Castlevania: Lords of Shadows £2.98 the collectors edition! Now... I'm not sure I will get it since it's listed as a 'pre-order' even though the game has been out for over a year. So we'll have to see.. just checking other stuff on their site now to see if I've missed anything I desperately want.

Yeah, I had a thorough look through and I couldn't see anything that was calling out to me to buy it. Maybe I'll try and look in our local GAME soon and see what they've got on offer.

In store GAME is selling 1200 MS Points for £4.98. You can get 800 MS Points for £2.98.

http://www.eurogamer...motion-launched

Just spent my £10 gift card and £5 worth of reward points this afternoon at GAME on 2100 Microsoft Points. I couldn't believe how many recently released games from a variety of publishers on various platforms had 'Coming soon' stickers on them. There weren't many new copies of games on sale.

I got those for £17.50 just 3 days ago. Now it turns out I could have got 2200 today for £9.96 and still have £7.54 left over. Soooo pissed off >_< Even when they're in shit they're ripping me off.

I haven't used the code on the receipt yet, but I doubt they would give me a refund.

EDIT: Nope. It says on the receipt that digital stuff is exempt from their 28 day returns policy.

I went in GAME yesterday. Before then it had looked fine, but yesterday? Red stickers everywhere, and lots of people cashing in on it. I myself took the opportunity to get Professor Layton and the Curious Village for £5, that'll be my mother's day gift because all she has for her DS right now is Brain Training games, bleh!

That sounds absolutely insane. Kind of makes me wish I had time to go and have a look today, but I think I may have to make a trip tomorrow and see what they've got going.

Yup, went into both stores today, loads of stuff with the red stickers. My dad got multiple copies of Gears 1 and 2 and another game for his gaming group.

So much cheap stuff, but no microsoft points marked down.

I personally got Star Ocean(360 - £3) and Eternal Sonata(PS3 - £8)

Both stores felt so... depressed... today

http://www.eurogamer...motion-launched

I got those for £17.50 just 3 days ago. Now it turns out I could have got 2200 today for £9.96 and still have £7.54 left over. Soooo pissed off >_< Even when they're in shit they're ripping me off.

That's not really being ripped off, rather just unfortunate luck.

Reminds me of the time I bought Alien Breed Episode 1 and Quake Arena on Xbox Live arcade and the very next day, they both went half price.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's not really being ripped off, rather just unfortunate luck.

Reminds me of the time I bought Alien Breed Episode 1 and Quake Arena on Xbox Live arcade and the very next day, they both went half price.

I know, I was just really annoyed at the time. I never would have expected any retailer, even in GAME's position, to reduce Microsoft Points.

I know, I was just really annoyed at the time. I never would have expected any retailer, even in GAME's position, to reduce Microsoft Points.

I would recommend spending this time to buy rare games or games you've been meaning to buy for your catalog. There was a time where a certain game store chain in my city was closing. It was a shame since I actually liked the chain a lot, but in the closing weeks they had some amazingly cheap sales since everything had to go, and I was able to buy some games I had been meaning to buy for a while for super cheap.

Edited by Agent York
  • Thumbs Up 3