Awoo.

Game (UK Retailer) Discussion

Patticus

Whoa What!?

Why didn't I go into Game today!? Oww an email from game! What does it say?

Dear *****

We regret to inform you that the Castlevania Lords of Shadow Collectors edition appeared in error....

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course, the main game I want, Arkham City, is still over £30. Bleh.

I went in yesterday, and there was a bunch of pre-owned stuff heavily reduced, and I too noticed a brand-new Brink for under a fiver. It was really odd walking around with such huge price reductions.

...I'd have bought Rayman Origins to be fair, except I still have Shadow of the Colossus to start before I begin anything else.

Of course, the main game I want, Arkham City, is still over £30. Bleh.

I'm pretty sure, the most popular games that were released over the past year will still be expensive.

Just so people are aware.

I would advise against buying online at Game/Gamestation for the time being.

Reason is, if Game goes into administration and you have given them your money before your order arrives, your order would be frozen and you'd be classed as a 'debter.' meaning Game would owe you money along with the millions they also owe their insurers right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, well, well! This has turned out nicely for me today!

It started with Darksiders 2 in-store for only £4.98, no cheap MS points unfortunately though.

I come home and see these amazing deals on GAME and Gamestation's sties so I thought I'd have a look and...

Trauma Center (Wii) - £1.98

Crysis 2 (360) - £3.46

Goldeneye with Classic Controller (Wii) - £7.98 ...I only bought this for the extra CC. :P

NFS: Hot Pursuit (360) - £7.98 ...the only good NFS game ever made, and it's on the cheap!

GAMEGroup closing isn't all bad, then!

Mercenaries 2: £3

Resistance 2: £3

Pre-owned copies, but for £3 each thats a very good deal. Yes you can still get platinum on those games (Mercs 2 you may need to do some fiddling around but it is still possible).

Just had a thought, anyone in the US want some cheap PS3 games? Should work fine on your system.

Oh and another big heads up.

Any reward points you have at the time GAME goes into administration (it's going to happen, theres no way it isn't) and any deposits you have on games, will be lost. You will NOT get them back. I would also take down/delete any personal data on their website too just in case.

Edited by Hogfather

GAME Spain issued a communicate stating they don't share the problems of their UK branch, at least for now.

Still, I guess I should use my reward points just in case. It's not like they're accumulating interest sitting there.

Spend my Gamestation points and bought Infamous 2 pre-owned I hae yet to play it.

Sucks that Game might be closing does that mean Gamestation will be gone as well? unsure.png

Spend my Gamestation points and bought Infamous 2 pre-owned I hae yet to play it.

Sucks that Game might be closing does that mean Gamestation will be gone as well? unsure.png

AND Gamestation are having a VERY similar sale, as thats the only card where I had virtual moniez, so I spent there

Generally whatever happens with GAME happens with GameStation too. Which sucks because I have friends working at both =/

Edited by Mollfie

So out of the two Game stores and Gamestation, I found out today that the largest of of the Game stores is shutting down, I suspect part of the reason is to do with the lease on the building they're in, since despite it being an older store it's much better than the newer one...

Oh boy did I find some good bargains. I decided to buy games I've 'wanted' but couldn't really justify the price on them.

gameover.jpg

The most expensive game you see there is Bulletstorm which is a new copy, that was only £10. The next most expensive one was Killzone 3 which was £7.

Everything else is as priced, exception is Disaster Day of Crisis which I got for only 98p. Fall of Liberty was £1.98. I know it's not a great game but I've always wanted to try it out anyway.

They had a lot more but I either wasn't interested or already had them, lots of smackdown vs raws from 2009-2011 which were between £1.98-£2.98. They had a copy of Brink for £2.98, but I don't know much about that so I left it, I know it's a 'new' game but wasn't sure how multiplayer heavy it is over the single player or what the online is like etc. EyePet was another game I nearly picked up which was about £2.

Tons of games, but didn't really have the means to check up on them all.

Sadly Sonic and the Black Knight was still priced at £12, and they didn't have the DS version of Colours.

So when I got to the counter with my haul, I noticed that they had some other items in that glass case thing... I spotted a game I had meant to pick up a while ago, it was a brand new copy, so I asked them how much it was. When I heard the price I said "I'll take it."

£20 later... I was the owner of this...

gameover20.jpg

Yes... that is a new copy, a fully sealed collectors edition, online pass is still there, all the collectables are still there too... and from what I've been told it's one hell of an awesome game. Cannot wait to play that.

But I would definately take this time to buy lesser known/popular games to try out, even if you just play them on easy for the story... they're £2 each some of them!

Other games I spotted but didn't buy.

Farcry 2 £2 (already have a free version thanks to PSN+)

Mercenaries 2 £2 (already have it)

Resistance 2 £2

Resistance Fall of Man/Resistance 2 platinum pack £5.

Mirrors Edge £2

RAGE £7.

Thats not all of them, but they are the only ones I can remember right now.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 5

You bought NIER? Get ready to be depressed, mind blown and more depressed - in a good way. Grindy sidequests, mediocre graphics and dull core mechanics, but I can guarantee the story, characters, music and gameplay twists will not leave you indifferent.

Well, even though I got a lovely haul of games on the websites last night, I decided to go take a proper look in-store today...it was a wise decision, to say the least!

xeDao.jpg

Skyward Sword was insanely cheap but I've not seen it anywhere near that price anywhere else, so I had to buy it! Punch-Out!! was only a fiver aswell, which I honestly would have been willing to pay at least double that for. I've bought a few reasons to actually dig my Wii out of the cupboard!

Couple these with the stuff I bought online and Darksiders (which I bought in-store yesterday), I've got a huge backlog of games to get through now!

The only bad thing about all this? Talking to the GAME and Gamestation workers was wonderful as usual, and it made me realise just how much I'll miss it all when they're gone...no more 15-minute banters about Zelda. :(

I can't say I saw much I wanted when I went in the shop. I bought myself a copy of Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction and Child of Eden for £3 each from Gamestation, and used my £2 worth of points to get it down to £2 each. The former was the original box version, and the latter, I'll give a go to, but not sure if I'll keep it on. At worst, CEX will give me more for it than what I paid, so trading it in will be an option next time I go near one.

Edited by Katzii

Visited my two local GAME stores today (both in the same town) but the discounts weren't that great. Anything of interest to me was still cheaper online, so I came away empty handed.

My brother did slightly better at another GAME store, picking up Halo 3 for less than £3.

I just read this on NeoGaf.

"I bought all their games which were priced at £1.98 or less, took them all to cash converters and made a 200% profit"

Why the hell didn't I think of that!?

• Thumbs Up 1

Visited my two local GAME stores today (both in the same town) but the discounts weren't that great. Anything of interest to me was still cheaper online, so I came away empty handed.

My brother did slightly better at another GAME store, picking up Halo 3 for less than £3.

I got Halo 3 at one of my local GAME's too. It was just £1.98, and DAMN is the disc beat up underneath. I'm surprised my Xbox 360 can read it.

It's certainly not a bad idea. Both of the games I bought, I can make a profit on at CEX, but that involves getting there.

I just read this on NeoGaf.

"I bought all their games which were priced at £1.98 or less, took them all to cash converters and made a 200% profit"

Why the hell didn't I think of that!?

I generally picked games that I thought would have higher resell value, surprised CEX/Cash Converters haven't adjusted their payout values considering the diluted amount of cheap game stock nationwide at the moment. I imagine that will change rather quickly

In related news: Rumors that GAME Group's CEO has told senior staff that they have 2 Weeks before Adminstrators will be called in

Boy I bet the lucky people who pre-ordered their The Witcher 2 Special Editions are pleased knowing that nugget. It doesn't come out for another 5 weeks!

By the time release day comes, GAME may well have gone into admin and been sold to the highest bidder or shut down. I can only assume Namco-Bandai has some kind of assurance that the online store at least will survive long enough to fufill any preorders, or was unaware how bad the situation had gotten for GAME. It seems a bit of a boneheaded decision to make though...

Edited by jennytablina

Also just picked up Tetris on 3DS for £12-odd brand-new. Been waiting for this to go cheap!

Also, do you think they'll have a huge sale on all of their newer stock if everything goes balls-up or would they just ship it back to the suppliers?

Report - GAME puts itself up for sale

http://www.mcvuk.com...for-sale/092593

So if I go to GAME, will there be an option to add GAME to basket?

Also, do you think they'll have a huge sale on all of their newer stock if everything goes balls-up or would they just ship it back to the suppliers?

Sony stuff... no chance in hell, thats going back to Sony since Sony are directly supplying them and not collecting their fee until the product sells (yup game is really in that bad a position right now). So if GAME goes belly up (which it will) Sony can collect their products back without incuring a loss.

As for the other stuff, I suspect it'll go the same way as Woolworths did. The people who work there will get first dibs with insane discounts. Then it'll be a gradual thing until 'the last day' where if theres anything left it'll go for stupidly low prices. But thats if theres anything left.

Which is annoying since I've always wanted to buy a certain display statue in my local Gamestation.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

So if I go to GAME, will there be an option to add GAME to basket?

Sony stuff... no chance in hell, thats going back to Sony since Sony are directly supplying them and not collecting their fee until the product sells (yup game is really in that bad a position right now). So if GAME goes belly up (which it will) Sony can collect their products back without incuring a loss.

As for the other stuff, I suspect it'll go the same way as Woolworths did. The people who work there will get first dibs with insane discounts. Then it'll be a gradual thing until 'the last day' where if theres anything left it'll go for stupidly low prices. But thats if theres anything left.

Which is annoying since I've always wanted to buy a certain display statue in my local Gamestation.

Let's not envy the staff discount, it's the only positive thing GAME or Gamestation's staff have to cling to at this point. I imagine many of them are not even sure they'll see a pay-packet for their efforts with the firesale and all. Plus being on sale puts them in an awkward situation, because odds are many stores will close, woe betide if you happen to be working in an area with more than one GAME or both GAME and Gamestation. As the lower performing store will be the one to go ( that's assuming a buyer actually swoops in at this point)

The way things are going, I'll be surprised to see GAME last the week really. I think the admins are going to come in a lot sooner after the new stock mess and I'm not sure enough people really know about the sale. Most people I spoke to had no idea about GAME's problems or the sale - oops