Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Day 19 Glados

Glados.png

Glados is funny, has character development, is Evil for a purpose, and mosr of all, threatening. She has that intimidation that I think is missing from other villians. But besides that, I really love the cruel black comedy remarks she throws at Chell whenever she has a chance to. Also she's a murderer, for science.

Favorite Antagonist:

Man... I'd really like to pick something unique but my brain isn't working properly today. So I'm going to go with Dr. Robotnik.

He's a villain that's as devilishly evil as he is funny. He has his moments where you can't help but love him as a character, despite his willingness to take out anything standing in his way. Playing through Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 you can see he is actually a threat to the general populace of Station Square countless times, yet whenever you actually battle him you see that beneath the twisted madman there is a gigantic buffoon. Every time you fight Dr.Robotnik you hate him, but can't help but go "Oh Eggman" when you win.

Ugh, should not be typing this late.

Day #19 - Favorite Villain / Antagonist from a Video Game

I see that the entry of Gruntilda the Witch has already been taken,

but nonetheless, I'll do my best, for any other choice for me would have been mistaken.

I have to create SOMETHING to compensate for the day's I've missed,

I'll muster up something unique from Lucky's post to prevent plagerism otherwise SOMEBODY'S going to be pissed...

An old video game from my childhood Banjo Kazooie may be,

it certainly may be a nostalgia expierence that many gamers today unfortunately will not see.

Featuring a recurring evil witch filled with greed,

She kidnaps Banjo's sister to steal her beauty to succeed.

During the games she would rhyme in every single sentense she made,

It even got to the point where it was lampshaded in the sequel and was shortly dropped altogether I'm afraid... sad.png

She would constantly mock you in the first game's Overworld Lair,

poking fun and insulting the main Bird and Bear.

Hell, I'll have to bet I STILL haven't heard all the lines she randomly says throughout the game,

the sheer amount of content Rare created shows the effort they put that lead to their Acclaim.

Rare, what happened to you?

Banjo Kazooie and Tooie and it's characters, gameplay and music will be something you'll never be able to outdo.

Grunty's actions during the series were evil yet comical,

...I can't find something that rhymes with comical without sounding stupid so, on that note, I'm going to stop this before I muster up my own hatedom or something. Grunty was kinda like Banjo Kazooie's Eggman. She had evil intentions, but watching her attempt to do it usually ended in a comical scene...or something like that. Well actually, Eggy could pull off some very serious moments, Grunty was like a villian that was fun to hate, if that makes any sense...I enjoyed playing the games so I could fight her in the end, she wasn't just some generic villian. In the end, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie wouldn't be Banjo without her.

If we ever get a Banjo Threeie (or Fourie, if Nuts and Bolts WAS Threeie), Grunty needs to be in it. I haven't played Nuts and Bolts, but if Grunty isn't in it, I will be disappoint. Grunty, is certainly a vilian I won't forget anytime soon. Hell, I'm even starting to feel like starting a new BK or BT file right now as I post this. smile.png

Runner ups? If Grunty didn't exist, I'd vote the T/G/Veronica Virus from the Resident Evil series. I mean, sure, it's Umbrella's fault for making the damn thing, but I consider the virus in some ways more of a villian than Umbrella because you were constantly surrounded by it's presence.

Whether if Wesker is specifically leading you into a Death Trap Mansion or not...

Zombies and infected monsters will constantly be around you throuout Resident Evil 0, 1, 2, 3, and V and continue to infect innocent people and kill allies. Albert Wesker/William Birkin/Alexia Ashford? Nah, they just show up towards the very end and then you blow everything up after the tyrant gets released and killed and blah blah blah. Those hundreds of mook Zombies, Crows, and everything else that's trying to kill you are where it's at if you ask me... tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going back to Evil Zone for this one, and choose Ihadurca.

Ihadurca is one of those characters who is loves destruction and kills everyone who stands in her way. She does this by using incredibly powerful and dangerous magic. Her status as the one true boss character in the game also means she is quite overpowered, even compared to Kakurine (which is quite a tough fight itself). She at first appears to just kill to take revenge on her imprisonment within the Evil Zone, but it later revealed through her story elements and the in-game encyclopedia that it is so much more than just that (see spoiler tag if you want to know). At the end of her story, after destroying the Evil Zone, she says "Just as you wished, Orsa." According to the in-game encylopedia, "Orsa" means the beginning of everything but know one knows what it is or means to Ihadurca.

The Ihadurca we see in the game is actually two beings. The body is that of a female`court magician from I-Praseru named Ihadurca Il Imella, who is truth a very nice person. The personality and actions you see her perform however are from the being that possessed Ihadurca's body, who is known as Lea. Lea chose Ihadurca as one of the mediums through which to incarnate herself into the physcial world. Lea can exist in multiple dimensions at one time. It is known that her and Kakurine used to be friends long ago before Lea began to incarnate herself. It is also known that Ihadurca Il Imella does fight against Lea`s control, as at one part during the story Ihadurcas personality briefly surfaces, warning Midori to run away while she holds Lea back.

Day 19 and Favorite Villan in a Video Game.

Eggman-casting-his-troubles-aside-dr-ivo-robotnik-eggman-6703685-331-350.gif

Baldy McNosehair (AKA Dr. Eggman)

I know he's been used by multiple posters but he is still my number one favorite villan after all the other games I've played. He can be ruthless as evidenced in SA2 when he attempted to kill Sonic yet he can be thoughful in the same game wondering if his grandfather truly wanted to destroy the planet at the end of the final story. He's also persistent while other villans pack it up after their plans go to pieces he immediately starts on another plan to try and conquer the world while attempting to stop Sonic in the process. He also has a sense of humor as evidenced by the theme park areas he's constructed over the years plus his laugh is just plain entertaining.

Runner Up

Dr. Weil from the Megaman Zero series: This guy is just plain insane and evil to the point that he breaks the scale from 1-10. Using a kill-sat to attempt to wipe out civilization while fused to it willingly just goes to show how far gone he is.

Because I insist on being special and not mentioning Sonic at all I won't choose Eggman as much as I did consider him. But I think I like this guy just as much.

G-man_heart_to_heart_headshot.jpg

The reason I love the G-Man is because no one knows anything about him. But every time he appears feels like an omen of danger to come. Maybe it will turn out not to be the case, but as of now he seems to be at the center of all of the problems in the Half Life universe, but why? He's so incredibly shrouded in mystery yet just from his short talks with Gordon you can almost feel a reluctant trust and hatred for him. For what little time he gets on screen he's an unbelievably intriguing character and discovering his ultimate role in the scheme of things is a big part of what excites me so much about Half Life 3. There's such great possibility for speculation with him. Who knows; he may not even be the antagonist in the end. Really fascinating guy.

Runners up:

GLaDOS for reasons covered plenty

Ganondorf in Wind Waker for being an arguably heroic antagonist

• Thumbs Up 1

Kreia/Darth Traya from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II

Kreia.jpg

Kreia's ultimate objective is to murder the Force. I'm pretty sure that makes her the largest-scale villain in the entire Star Wars universe, a place full of people who make planets explode. She's the final boss in a game that also includes an immortal Scottish zombie Sith, and she also gets points for having trained Darth Revan, the galaxy's most supreme badass. Plus she can fight by levitating lightsabers with her mind. She's a pretty cool old lady.

What makes Kreia really great, though, is that she's a member of your party for most of the game, serving as a mentor to the player character. She has a lot of unusual insights into philosophy and how it applies to the Star Wars universe, and while she's not totally consistent about it (and occasionally she just comes off as complaining for the sake of it), that mostly serves to enhance her character. She's wise, but she's not infallible: even she admits that she's a hypocrite about certain things, and there are plenty of cases where she outright lies to you. Despite being a villain, though, she's legitimately trying to teach the player, even if the lessons are a bit twisted.

Unlike Master Li from Jade Empire, though, she never really tries to deceive the player about her identity. The fact that she used to be a Sith certainly isn't a surprise: If you build up even a small amount of influence with her she'll essentially tell you flat-out that she used to be the leader of the game's villain faction and that it wasn't exactly a change of heart that forced her out of the position. It's obvious that the player is being manipulated; the issue becomes how much and in exactly what ways, and whether or not whatever plan Kreia has in mind will be for the best. She does seem to legitimately care about the player character, even saving his or her life immediately before leaving the party and taking up her Sith identity again, so whether or not her presence was ultimately beneficial is still up in the air.

It doesn't hurt that her voice actress gave one hell of a performance, either, in a series that already set a pretty high bar for that sort of thing. She can spew nonsense Star Wars jargon at you all day and make you goddamn believe that she's speaking from a long, bitter lifetime of experience.

Runner up: Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Dr. Eggman here. He's the consummate kids' franchise mad scientist and generally a pretty hilarious guy, even in some of the worst-written games in the series.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 2

Days 18/19 - WHATS YO FAVORITE HERO/VILLAIN IN VIDYA

Really? The NPC's need more love.

Sonic the Hedgehog - RAD RED KNUCKLEDUSTER.

Here I come, rougher than the rest of them,

the best of them, tougher than leather!

They all call me Knuckles, unlike Sonic I don't chuckle;

I'd rather flex my muscles.

I'm hard as nails, it ain't hard to tell;

I break 'em down whether they're solid'er'frail!

Unlike the rest I'm independent since my first breath;

first test, feel the right, then the world's left!

BlazBlue - Hazama/Yuuki Terumi

Oh boy, your favorite villain--I'm surprised none of you chose this troll! He's so villainous, that he actively feeds on hate just to survive! Anyway, Hazama is a nasty little son of a bitch; even he'll smite you in gameplay. So much so, he actively, NO, deliberately cheats--you could say it is almost in character for him to do so. I have so many bad memories fighting against him, therefore I'd advise you not to.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite villain would be Bowser. Bowser's always a cool final boss to beat (Galaxy 1/ NSMBWii = Awesome). Even if I don't like the level leading up to a Bowser boss (I didn't like the Bedroom Galaxy Bowser level, for example), the boss itself is always worth it. Bowser's a cool villain most of the time. I have a question though, how does his size change so much? Super Mario 64, he was normal size, but in Super Mario Sunshine, he's freaking massive!

Day 19 - Favorite Villain/Antagonist from a Video Game

godotn.png

Godot - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - Nintendo DS - 2007

It's clear as day why Godot is so loved. He's a coffeeholic with his own personal (and invisible) barista during trials, has a melancholy backstory, a ballin' theme song, and a LAZER-FACE. The only thing antagonizing about him is the amount of resentment he holds towards Wright for indirectly letting Mia die. Even though his guilt for not being there to protect Mia is strong, the last case shows how much time and effort he's willing to put into making sure the same thing doesn't happen to her sister, which led to a beautiful and heartrending finale for the last entry of a fantastic trilogy of games.

Runner-Ups: GLaDOS (Portal) and Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)

• Thumbs Up 2

DAY 19 FAVORITE BAD GUY BY THE WAY CARBO I TOTALLY GOT THIS IN ON TIME ALRIGHT COOL

FAWFUL (Mario and Luigi Series)

NTR_MarioLuigi3_07char_E3.jpg

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Fawful has appears exclusively in the series of games that is Mario and Luigi. His saying of the English language is many times like this entry, and he always has Chortles. The great Fawful was once the pupil of Cackletta, but then he had fury and became a shopkeep, before finally having chortles and becoming the main Villian in the Inside Story of Bowser. The Great Fawful's sillyness and greatness outmatches that of other villians, and he will always be awesome.

Some memorable quotes:

• "I HAVE FURY!"

• "I HAVE CHORTLES!"
    • "Soon Princess Peach's voice will be Cackletta's snack cake!"
    • "Now a Midbus battle will unfold like an angry dip of many layers on the chips of wildest hopes!"
    • "You have the impatience...You must stop and sample the sprinklies in life's salad bar."
    • "I am the great Cackletta's most best pupil, who is named Fawful! I am here, laughing at you! If you are giving us the chase, just to get your silly princess's voice, then you are idiots of foolishness! Princess Peach's sweet voice will soon be the bread that makes the sandwich of Cackletta's desires! And this battle shall be the delicious mustard on that bread! The mustard of your doom!"
Edited by Heart
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to go with the popular choice and go for Eggman

250px-Eggman.jpg

He's wacky, crazy, insane and determind to get Sonic. He isn't serious all the time and seems to have fun in fighting Sonic. Who else would make robots shape like animals out of other animals? All the Evil Plans seem great and he has one of the greatest themes ever (E.G.G.M.A.N.)

Day 20 - Favorite Side Character from a Video Game

The minor protagonists, the sidekicks, NPCs etc., all of them go here.

For people already doing a compromise as a protagonist in Day 18 (i.e I think Marcello mentioned Kazooie), don't worry; your entries for those days still count.

Day 20 - Favorite Side Character from a Video Game

Luigi (Super Mario Series)

luigi1.png

You know who this guy is, right? Mario's twin brother, the one that hides in his shadows. Although Luigi has starred in some pretty good games. (Several Mario Titles and Luigi's Mansion...not Mario is Missing...) He is also just awesome, I mean, come on, HE WENT INTO A HAUNTED HOUSE FULL OF GHOSTS TO SAVE HIS BROTHER! Luigi is a true hero, and my favorite Mario character. Luigi deserves more respect from Nintendo! (Well, atleast Luigi's Mansion 2 is coming out this year.)

Edited by The Scarlet Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Favorite sidekick in a video game? For me, that would undoubtedly be Luigi from the Mario series.

LuigiNSMBW.png

He's my favorite character in the Mario series and one of my most favorite characters from childhood. Luigi's a good sidekick, who's almost always overshadowed by his brother, Mario. He's funny in games like the Paper Mario series or the Mario and Luigi series, and he's fun to play as (even as a skin) in games like the New Super Mario Bros. series or the Super Mario Galaxy series. I like to see Luigi playable in the Mario games, and I love his roles in the Mario RPG games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Favourite Villain

i can't think of anyone really at the moment, so i'll just go with the obvious.

599px-Meta_Ridley_mp1_Artwork.jpg

Ridley.

this is self explanatory... just LOOK at him! he's terrifying!

Ridley was the reason behind Samus' parents death, he lead a space pirate attack on samus' homeworld, killing and slaughtering everyone, Samus only survived with the aid of the Chozo, who then raised her with their technology turning her into the bounty hunter of legend.

Ridley was hell bent on destroying Samus ever since she became a rogue, he is incredibly powerful as well as incredibly smart, being the leader of the cold blooded space pirates they maim and plunder for the perfect way to rid the galaxy of the Federation and all who oppose them, with the information Ridley gained of the metroids, he set his sites on the space station frigate Orpheon to steal their research into bio weapons, Samus pursued him in hopes of destroying him, and what little of the Space Pirate army that survived Zebes, later in the game it is apparent that the Space Pirates have been researching Metroids all over again and infusing Phazon, a toxic like substance that can be used as an amazing power source with the Metroids for deadly results... Ridley also knew it was necessary to kit his soldiers out with the newest technology to repel Samus' Chozo weaponry, making suits with his research team that could deflect any one of Samus' Beam upgrades depending on the situation.

Many times Samus thought she was getting the drop on him, but he's always pulled through and left her surprised everytime, he is a cold blooded killer with sheer contempt for our interstellar Bounty Hunter, and keeps coming back stronger, and smarter after every clash with her.

Day 20 - Favourite side kick

gonna go with Fi from Skyward Sword

tumblr_lvk7c1yGta1qfasddo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1328457887&Signature=LIKxwhkg%2FYwHLVUaLeb0nzvJmr0%3D

i don't know what makes her my favourite, but i got strangely attached to her in Skyward sword, even if she can be annoying, and when she was being bathed in the various flames i felt sad for what she had to go through, but then she made it all the more beautiful with her graceful dancing.

funny enough i like obscure weapons as characters

even

caliburn.png

an obscure talking sword that over uses the word "Knave"

blah i have no idea what to put for this, so crappy short day post =D

Edited by Samus Aran
  • Thumbs Up 2

Favorite sidecharacter huh...

I'd have to say Sheena Fuji- NONONO I'M NOT PICKING ANYMORE TOS RELATED THINGS!

200px-Luigi_vacuum.jpg

Hell yes, Luigi!

What can I say that hasn't already been said about this badass? I mean look at this:

When was the last time YOU turned into a missile?

That's what I thought...

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 20 - Favorite sidekick

Going with Infamous.

ZekeInfo.png

Zeke Dunbar.

You've got a sense of realism with Cole and Zeke as pals. One of them have powers, while the other one is jealous. Zeke betrays his friend on two occasions in hopes of getting powers like Cole. He then patched the friendship in Infamous 2, and they start a new life. Zeke has a knack for cracking wise comments and jokes, and he comes through for Cole from time to time. Without Zeke, Cole would've died.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 20 Favorite Side Character:

Well I got nothing so I went with...

Hewie.png

...Hewie the dog from Haunting Ground.

When trying to escape from a castle filled with a bunch of insane stalkers you think that you can get away easily by hiding right? Wrong! They will find you at some point and your kick is so weak you might as well stop playing right? Well this is where the dog comes in.

tumblr_l4l8rw7gQ51qcwtmwo1_500.jpg

Which one is the protagonist again?

Hewie comes in handy all the time. He's Fiona's best method of attack since she can't do much. His bite is good enough to distract the stalkers long enough for Fiona to get away. But why would you leave that poor puppy behind to get kicked. You gotta admire how much that dog puts into saving Fiona.

Hewie can also help Fiona in some puzzles and find secret items that Fiona wouldn't normally see. He's pretty helpful and the player should thank him after helping him.

But sadly Hewie can be retarded at times. He can go wander off at times so Fiona would have to scold him for doing so. And sometimes he'd run around after telling him to sick 'em. But maybe its just my playthrough of the game.

At the end of the day Hewie is just your regular dog who cares for his master. Its pretty heartwarming to see Fiona pet Hewie since we all care about them right? Also having a good relationship with Hewie not only makes him respond to Fiona sooner it can net the player with the best ending. But if have a grudge against Hewie for some reason you can literally kick the dog and get the worst ending with that.

Either way he's a good dog. :P

Runner Ups:

Luigi - Super Mario: This is the only other guy I could think of. He's cool and all but I'd say he's the hero. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 20 - Favorite side character

Daxter.png

Daxter - Jak and Daxter

The best kind of sidekicks are those who make the moments funny, but can also be helpful when they need to be. Daxter is pretty much the perfect example of this.

This guy is absolutely hilarious. Once a human, but turned into an Ottsel due to some Dark Eco, Daxter is pretty much the best sidekick that you could ever hope to have. No matter what might be going on, you can always count on this guy to say the last word that will get you laughing. His snarky and snappy remarks along with his scared attitude, but pretending to be brave just add to how hilarious this guy is. Plus, he's just flat out cool. He's always there by his friend's side and always knows just what to say and when to say it.

He's also good for helping out Jak during the adventures by being able to squeeze in through tight spaces that Jak normally wouldn't be able to reach. Overall, he's just hilarious, has a great personality that keeps the game going, and a badass sidekick.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 20: Favorite Side Character

293px-Dick_Gumshoe_GK2.png

Dick Gumshoe

Everybody, meet Dick Gumshoe, "Ace" Detective. He shows up as a particularly funny comic-relief type of character who's quite childlike and doesn't quite get along with most prosecutors. He makes many mistakes... a lot of mistakes,

but he can do it when it counts, pal, and has had many "big damn heroes" moments.

Gumshoe is very good friend, even after the countless times Edgeworth threatened to fire him and cut his pay among other things, he still remained loyal to him for many years to come. He was also a main suspect in a murder though he would never tell the whole truth about what happened even if it would get him off the hook, why? A promise he made to a little girl he became friends with just a few hours prior, over a Swiss Roll. If he isn't the best friend ever, I never wrote shit.

Gumshoe is also very hard-working and determined. He's constantly given the shit end of the stick and yet he somehow manages to keep on going regardless. I mean, he's gotten his paycheck cut so many times he lives of instant noodles and other off-brand products, yet he still works hard and still has that goofy, yet lovable demeanor.

How Gumshoe does it, I have no idea, but godammit he does, and he's awesome for it.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day 20

I believe that for antagonist I put Tails. So for this I'm putting the same character. He's had his own games, and of course he's also a sidekick. I don't see why this wouldn't count! :P

Edit: I did not mean to say antagonist. I meant to say protagonist. Sorry for the confusion. I got a good laugh out of the replies that got though.

Edited by dirupti

Day 20

I believe that for antagonist I put Tails.

I know in Sonic 2 he messed you up on the Special Stages a lot, but come on... :P

• Thumbs Up 2