Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

I'll only choose from games that I've actually finished... Hmm...

1281356897jetforcegemin.jpg

Jet Force Gemini

I mentioned the last boss of this yesterday, but honestly the whole game is pretty brutal. All the bosses are significantly harder than the stages, and the stages themselves are VERY tricky to navigate when it comes to exploring them for all the optional extras and saving all the Tribals.

...Oh sorry did I say optional extras? Hahahahaha! No this is one of those games that demands 100% completion to reach the final boss (well, technically 95% but still). And some of those additional items are REALLY mind-bogglingly complex to get. Just see this game's entry on "Guide Dang It" on TV Tropes. I had a guide when I played this as a kid so that never bothered me but aside from knowing WHAT to do, guides do not help with the PHYSICAL complexities of the boss fights and saving the Tribals (they can get killed in crossfire with enemies if your bullets touch them before you do - and if that happens, the whole playthrough of collecting Tribals on that level was worthless and you must start over).

Honourable mentions: Sin & Punishment 2, Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, Mega Man 9 (Mega Man 10 too but I've only beaten that on easy mode).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most difficult game... must be

250px-Sonic1_box_usa.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog

Yeah, old Sonic 1 can trounce me. Marble zone can be a nuisance and Labyrinth is gach. Scrap Brain? "faints".

Day 13 - The Most Difficult Game You've Ever Played

ds.jpg

Every gamer knows about this one. Hell, any single person who talked to me at any time around the week Dark Souls came out knows about this game. Before Persona 4, I'd go as far as to say it was the greatest game I'd ever played. Demon's Souls is a game infamous for its difficulty, and playing the game for a mere twenty minutes would tell you why. EVERYTHING in this game poses a threat. Those crappy, slow-moving zombie things that you can kill in three hits? If you aren't careful, they'll get a combo in that'll wipe out all of your health. Those creepy red plague-babies in the poisoned lake? If they're within ten feet of you, you won't live. No exceptions. Bosses? Good luck. But it's this insane difficulty that makes Demon's Souls as amazing as it is. Don't get me wrong, everything else is fantastic. The enemies are fantastically designed, the level design is absolutely perfect, the combat system is incredibly deep and intuitive, and the level of atmosphere is off the charts throughout the whole game. But without the level of difficulty it had, I don't think it would have risen to the top of my list. It's horribly punishing, but the satisfaction gained from beating a level or enemy that gave you trouble is unparalleled.

While it could be argued that its sequel, Dark Souls, is more difficult, I had already spent over a hundred hours playing Demon's Souls from beginning to end three times. I didn't need to learn the ropes, I knew them like the back of my hand. Demon's Souls isn't a game that you need to merely learn the controls for, you need to play the game a certain way. Learning that play style is where a large part of the difficulty comes from, and for that reason Dark Souls didn't pose as much of a challenge as its predecessor for me.

Regardless, both games are absolute masterpieces that I would recommend to anyone... who doesn't mind getting killed every few seconds.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh man, that could only go to...

Ecco-cover.jpg

Ecco the Dolphin

I.still.can't.beat.this.game. Seriously, I don't know if I just suck at it or what, but every time I try and go back to it, whether it be when I was younger or now, I still can't beat this friggin' game. I don't know if anyone else had a similar issue with this or not, but hell were some of these levels hard to me.

sega-genesis-ultimate-collection-ecco-the-dolphin-20100722074130362-000.jpg

The first few levels were alright, but then suddenly you're thrown into extremely deep waters with limited air sources, enemies you can't kill, underwater currents that can push you back from where you started, and an assortment of puzzles in which you have to use your echolocation to move objects along with your snout for picking up stones and shells. Some areas are shut off via odd underwater crystals in which you have to find their corresponding crystal...key thing somewhere. On top of all of this you have to find and rescue several pods of dolphins if you want their family power before finding your next destination which only increasingly gets harder as frick. I think the farthest I've been in this game is possibly...the area right after the first appearance of the sharks? Man, this game hates me.

Runner Up:

Megaman 4: This is probably due to me never having played any other Megaman game other then this one, and boy do I suck at this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 13: Most Difficult Game You've Ever Played

DKCR1.jpg

It came between this and Demon's Souls, but in the end, I think this actually gave me a harder time. A game like Demon's Souls requires you to play intelligently to get through it - think, experiment, be strategic. A game like DKCR on the other hand is all about movement - correctly making jumps and moving left and right to avoid falling to your death as you make your way through a level. Both are equally difficult for what they are, but DKCR's form of difficulty gives me much more trouble.

As I mentioned on Day 11 (well, Dissident mentioned it for me, so whatever), Donkey Kong Country Returns is Platform Hell beyond the first couple of worlds - well, not to the extent of the examples on that page, probably, but it's the closest you'll get to it in a Nintendo platformer. You're going to have to play nigh-on perfectly if you hope not to die. Timing means everything - if you're even off by a little bit, you will die. And that's not even going into the enemies that will be in your way. Getting through this game is going to take some serious skill - and that's why it's awesome.

Ohoho, and if you want things to get even more difficult, try playing the secret levels. Those are borderline sadistic. And I love them.

Edited by The T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 3

That's a hard decision (no pun intended,) but there are a couple that come to mind.

Sonic_adventure_dx_box.jpg

This game is probably one of the most difficult I have encountered, but I do have valid reasons. For one, you have the adventure fields, which can be a pain to navigate. Next, you have six different stories to complete, though that isn't so difficult as it is time-consuming. However, certain stages have proved fairly hard, such as Sonic's Twinkle Park or Amy's Hot Shelter (the former with those annoying spinning towers, and the latter involving cheap deaths, followed by a lack of a save point.) However, I will cut this game some slack, since it's the Steam version, meaning it's been ported several times, and is fairly glicthy, not to mention I usually have to play it using a keyboard.

250px-Sonic1_box_usa.jpg

Now, this could just be me, but I always found Sonic 1 to be the hardest game out of all the classics. That may be partially because I was used to the physics of Sonic 3, but the lack of a spindash contributed as well. Also, given certain harder levels (such as Marble Zone,) I could never earn enough lives/continues and have never made it past Springyard Zone. While I haven't completed Sonic 2 either, I did make it to Metropolis Zone Act 3 once, and another time to Act 1 before I gave the controller to my brother (who lost all my lives faster than I thought possible.) Here, I can't get past the third frickin' zone, and usually I die somewhere in the second one. Obviously I either suck at this, or it's one of the harder games (probably more the former, but it's like the only Sonic game I haven't completed, save for the aforementioned Sonic 2.)

Day 13 - Most dificult game.

Busy busy day today so I'll keep it short.

250px-Mariobros2japanbox.jpg

Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels

Ever played a game where you couldn't even beat the first level? Well, this is the closest thing I had to that... I actually can't remember how many levels I got to beat but I'm pretty sure I can count them with a hand.

ll18.jpg

*Looking at Wikipedia, I just found out this game doesn't end in world 8 but there are also worlds A,B,C,D and 9* WHAT!?

I found this game in Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES (which TBH I only wanted because of SMB3). This piece of software expects you to be a pro at SMB1, and you better be one because if not you are in for hours and hours of frustration... Tiny platforms, high precision jumps (and the combination of both which are almost impossible with Luigi), and really annoying enemies (between other things that escapes me right now) makes this title a truly and pure Platform Hell.

Also, after playing this game this commercial makes a lot of sense.

MAKE IT STO-O-O-OOOOP!!!! ;_;

I can't even fathom how one could ever beat this thing in one sitting in the original (despite the developers being "forgiving" enough to let you start at the beginning of a world if you lost all your lives). You must be some sort of gaming god or something.

Maybe I should try it again another day. (even fi it's just doing a cheat-savestates-casualfag run just to see the ending)

Honorable mention goes to the Megaman Zero series, which I never managed to complete on my own skills (unlike most of the X series and the classic series that I really didn't play at all with the exception of Megaman 3, and I beat that one)

Also, all this talk about Mario made me think about this little Hack, but that doesn't count as a game now does it?

Edited by gato

997764171930front.jpg

Donkey Kong Country Returns - Nintendo Wii - 2010

Let me emphasize the fact that I did not grow up with a SNES, therefore, I did not grow up playing the DKC games. Even with emulators, I only played DKC1 up until the second world/area/whatever. That said, I asked for this game for Christmas because the euphoria from Nintendo's E3 that year was in high gear, and the trailer made it look amazing. A game that looked that fun couldn't possibly be hard, could it?

Oh, yes it could. NSMBW's World 9 stages were one thing, but that was at the very end of the game. Imagine the difficulty of those stages applied to the later 60% of the whole game and there's DKCR for you. One day I stopped playing for two months due to adjusting to college life and then picked it back up one night, starting at the Canyon area. I must have lost 80 balloons just from the first stage of that area, and I didn't even reach the checkpoint yet. And that final boss was just cruel; making you restart the entire SHMUP stage just so you can have Diddy with you. I have never been so fucking mad at video games before, and yet I was having fun with it. I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Runner-Ups: Any F-Zero game ever and Touhou 01 ~ The Highly Responsive to Prayers

• Thumbs Up 3

The most difficult game I've ever played would have to be:

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)

Dear Lord, fuck this game. When I played it so many years ago I couldn't even get past the first boss for an hour or two. I understand action games should be hard but, this game took the cake with cheap enemies and bosses, which were made worse by a fixed camera angle. Those exploding ninjas, anyone? This game still makes me mad, so I don't really try to play it anymore. I would write more but, it would probably be a string of curse words.

Runner-up: F-Zero GX

I love this game but, it's so damn hard. I will never play the story mode because, I'm pretty sure it was designed for masochists. In races, for the most part, you feel like it's your fault that you messed up but, story mode is full blown Nintendo hard.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

Day 13 and the Most Difficult game I've played.

mmz_box.jpg

Megaman Zero 1

This game kicked my rear to robot hell and back. The enemy placement is asinine in most of the stages. The bosses attacks can kill you faster then you can attack with any of your weapons. On top of those you've got the classic stage of instant death spikes plus a bottomless pit in the mix. And the icing on the cake is the final boss that can kill you by trapping you with the energy halos over the bottomless pit. I lost track of the number of lives I wasted trying to kill Copy X.

Edited by Cobalt_Bolt

Day 13 Super Monkey Ball 2

38916-super-monkey-ball-2-gamecube-screenshot-title-screens.jpg

Super Monkey Ball 2 is one of the best puzzle games I've ever played. It's also the hardest game I've ever played.

Amuesment Vision "The rolling of the monkeys from point A to point B sounds hard enough right? No? Okay, how about this, we make the stages as complex and hard as fucking possible? Hard enough? No? Well then, let's somehow defy physics and make half the stages only winnable by luck/accident. Still not hard enough? Boy you're a tough one. Ok, let's make it so you can only tilt the stage, and not the monkey. There we go! And the best part is, all of this is fun as hell too! Wait where are you going- NO don't leave, we're serious!"

Not one stage has ever made me regret buying this game. Sure I've thrown a controller or two, almost broke a t.v, or "accidently" throw a disc or two at a wall, but I've always sucked it up, and become a slave once again to the monkeys, trying to get thier bananas back by going through over 200 something stages.

Sadly, this is the last fun MB imo. None of the games after this have ever tried to do levels as fun or complex as the first two. That's mainly due to Amuesment Vision shutting down, but a man can dream can't he? Dream of a SMB2 remake in HD, or a true SMB3? A man can dream.

Edited by Naked Dog

It's funny, somehow, god knows why, I managed to beat Super Monkey Ball 2, 100%, without a guide. D= I think it's because it's Extra/Master stage unlock requirements are less strict (thanks to being able to unlock up to 99 lives to start with). And the fact that Master can be played from the Main Menu, unlike Monkey Ball 1 where you can only play Master on top of Expert mode.

Found that out the hard way...

"Yeeeeeah, after many years I've finally reached Master mode, never thought I'd see the day. *fails about 20 times at first stage* Okay I'm too on edge right now, I'll try again later."

*GAME OVER. Continue?*

"No"

*returns to main menu where only Beginner, Advanced and Expert are selectable as usual*

..."NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

So yes anything beyond Master 1 on SMB1 shall elude me forever.

DAY 13 - THE MOST DIFFICULT GAME YOU'VE EVER PLAYED

Megaman: Dr Wily's Revengemega_man_dr_wilys_revenge_frontcover_large_O8BY5pB04fN2QW8.jpg

Well, many of you may know Megaman (Well atleast the classic ones), were horribly difficult games to beat, and this one just makes you suffer through-out. It's so challenging and hard, I can't even get past any of the bosses, let-alone GET to them. The game honestly isn't bad at all, it's just down-right challenging. Luckily, the Virtual Console version of this game on the eShop allows you to create restore points, so if you make a restore point before you die you can automatically press the bottom screen and press (return to restore point or whatever it's called), which makes the game alot less difficult.

Edited by Victor Sullivan

Hmmm well... I've already said Demons Souls for one thing... and I'm trying to do a different game each day so might have to crack open my old vault of games...

In no particular order...

comix-zone-gif-1312463632.gif

Comix Zone

Comix Zone as part of the Sega Vintage collection is easy... it's easy because of this magical inclusion called 'save states.'

Comiz Zone on the Sega Megadrive is a bastard hard game! One reason for it's difficulty is that doing virtually anything drains health, breaking down doors, ripping through the comic walls, even attacking some types of enemies and performing various moves drains health!

Not only that but if you hit any hazard or get caught up in an explosion, it will either drain your health by over half, or kill you outrightly! First time you play through this game it's a case of trial and error, especially when it comes to when/how you use your items.

Some of the enemies you face have to be attacked in a specific manner or else you'll just end up being a punching bag for them. When you make it to the final stages, the game introduces Question Mark items... ho ho KABOOM! Almost all of them are bombs!

Then you make it to the final boss and the game pulls it's other ace difficulty card, not only does the boss teleport all over the place, but you have a very tight time limit to save the girl, this time limit continues after you beat the boss and until you throw a leaver, which doesn't appear until the boss finishes his dying annimation!

With no save states on the Mega Drive version, this game was a bastard hard game in every sense of the word.

BATMANRETURNSMEGACD.jpg

Batman Returns: Mega CD (the driving levels!)

If you have the Mega Drive version, or even the gamegear version, you'll probably know how hard the game is, the levels have some crazy design choices to them, enemies take almost batmans entire arsonal to die, the boss fights get progressively more ridiculous, and to top it of, any item you use in your inventory is gone forever, dying and restarting the stage doesn't bring it back... which in turn makes boss battles all the more harder than they should be...

But on the Mega CD version, there was an extra mode, you could drive! The driving levels were awsome, the sound effects on the missiles were cool, and the effects such as fire trails on the cars just before they blew up looked so cool, but the soundtrack... man the soundtrack was awesome.... ...

And it was bloody hard, you had a time limit to start with, the batmobile would take damage if it got rammed (which happens a lot), and hit from an enemy took off an obscene level of damage.

The boss fights were utterly crazy! One hit from the boss would take tons of life off you. The only way you can get life back is to reach a checkpoint! But good lord it was fun... bastard hard.... but fun...

Oh the later stages you pilotted the batboat... jesus these missions were hell, mines in the water which you hard to avoid by doing loops in the sewer, utterly crazy.

But on the other hand, the cut scenes were great and the music was amazing.

924183_97309_front.jpg

The Terminator... Every single version in existance!

You want a bastard hard game! You fucking got it! Terminator... was there some kind of conspiracy about this game? Every single version of the original Terminator has the difficulty cranked upto 11... .. .. this game goes to 11.

It goes to 11.

Anyway, I had this for the Mega Drive, that was shockingly hard, if you encountered an enemy when going up or down the stairs... GAME OVER you couldn't shoot at angles meaning you were doomed. If you got sandwiched between enemies, just hit the reset button and save yourself time.

The police station was the worst, you can't kill the cops! They just fall on the floor then get back up again!? The hell!? The game wouldn't let you kill cops!?

Now theres also a version on Nintendo... it is relentless, enemies coming at you all over the place, projectiles flying around, the first level goes on and on and on and it's bloody hard!

But the Mega CD version... Christ... The Mega CD version pulls the biggest Muhahaha moment. In other versios of the game... when you shoot an ememy, they stagger lock... NOT IN THE MEGA CD VERSION! They just shoot back like nothing is going on!

Just take a look at this!

Look how the terminators keep shooting back at you, no stagger lock, but the biggest gag, the first 2 terminators take 6 bullets to go down... the next take 10! It's completely random!

But my goodness... that sound track... that glorious glorious soundtrack

Honorable Mentions.

shadow-of-the-beast-1-alku.jpg

Shadow of the Beast

I don't remember playing this much, but I know I had it for the commador 64... christ this was hard, I remember it freaking me out as the monsters were so strange, the music was unlike anything I'd heard before... Years later I'd find out how notoriously hard this game was, especially the Mega Drive version. Might need to pick this up again some day.

Demons Souls

Already mentioned this so I won't go on too much. The first playthrough on this, you do not know what to expect... yet you keep coming back for more. If you own a PS3 and want a challenge... Bring more souls...

• Thumbs Up 4

Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta would constantly make me lose my lives, but let's go for a challenge of a different sort.

I'm picking The Dig.

I quuite like my Lucasarts point-and-click, but I missed this game first time round. It wasn't until a fair few years after release I got this, so I was pretty experienced, older and wiser for adventure games. And this was just maddeningly obtuse.

It all started well, but then I got into a corridor where almost every door was locked. And I swear, the game just decides not to give you any hints what to do next. Here's a weird piece of alien technology. It'll turn the power on, but only if you get the right combination of buttons. And there are many buttons. All the same colour, just different shapes. With no hints. Guide, dang it!

Later on, the game gets a bit better for hints, but not much. Especially this bastard:

25_The_Dig.gif

You have to put that back together, PERFECTLY. Sure, there's a fossil two screens away, but that really doesn't help. And like I said, its two screens away. Look at the amount of bones there. Could you remember that many, and then move two screens on and recreate it? Those bones have to be rotated, too. Fucking guide, dammit!

A dishonourable mention goes to Runaway: A Road Adventure. It is cheap, fake difficulty. Need an item for a puzzle? The game will only let you find that item if it decides you've made the protagonist understand WHY you need that item. I've solved puzzles before, only for the character to question MY AUTHORI-TAH! Only once you jump through hoops by inspecting all the items in a particular way to make the dunderhead understand what it is you're trying to do will he do te thing he should have done 10 minutes earlier! But that's just dodgy programming to extend the gametime. Never playing that one again, or its sequels, no sir.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to a very hard time with Space Channel 5 when I owned the Dreamcast version back in 2001-2002. It lost track of how many times I lost dance battles or didn't get a high enough view rating to move on to the next report. And, just when I aced a report and went on to the next one, I would be beat by that one too. It took a very long time to be able to ace that game and while I'm pretty good at Part 2 as well, I still have yet to ace that game.

Recently, though, I will have to say it's Sonic Unleashed. I got stuck at the Night version of Savannah Citadel where it seems the robots ust keep spawning and don't stop. I restarted my game because I'm almost certain I missed at least one stage in between. dry.png

Hardest game? I would usually define a hard game by the number of times I get killed, and it is a hard one to just pick only one. I remember the stress of Bayonetta. The maddness of Super Meat Boy. The constant dying on the original Super Mario Brothers.

But the one I'm gonna pick, adds a twist to being defeated...

zhpboxart.jpg

The hero, the Unlosing Ranger is on route to a duel with the big bad final boss, Darkdeath Evilman. Only to die in a hit and run, right in front of me. What's that? You want me to take your place? Alright! What's the worse that could happen?

And so the story begins as you are killed at the hands of Darkdeath Evilman and now you must train yourself as a new hero to defeat this evilman...only...it ain't easy...

The story itself, is not as much of a challenge, although it does have it's moments. It's digging into the extras where things begin to get intense. It took a ridiculously long time to get strong enough to defeat Fallen Angel Flonne by going through an "Easy" Survival Challenge. Then unlocking the next one, which I assume will have you face Etna. But I haven't got that far yet.

Getting access to Asagi and her schemes are a tricky effort also. First you have to find an item to access the mission. Then you have to play and win that mission to unlock a special quest outfit of characters from other stuff. Like anime and manga for example...and you continue until there is non left, and there is a reasonable amount...

There's still so much to this awesome game that I have yet to locate...

Edited by Dan-imeJ86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most difficult game... I'll go with Megaman X4.

Fuck those Mavericks. I go online to see thee boss order to find out that there isn't one. Most people do Web Spider first, and he really is the easiest. Which isn't saying much because he's still hard as fuck if you don't know what you're doing.

Then I got to Sigma. Damn I hate the Sigma fight in that game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just making a post to point this out.

Fuck those Mavericks. I go online to see thee boss order to find out that there isn't one.

There is an order. It's Frost Walrus > Jet Stingray > Slash Beast > Web Spider > Split Mushroom > Cyber Peacock > Storm Owl > Magma Dragoon.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just making a post to point this out.

There is an order. It's Frost Walrus > Jet Stingray > Slash Beast > Web Spider > Split Mushroom > Cyber Peacock > Storm Owl > Magma Dragoon.

Really? I tried finding the order and I just couldn't find it online.

Still hate the Sigma fight of that game.

I'm going with Super Meat Boy. It's like IWBTG except with actual challenge and not cheap bullshit that pops out of nowhere to say "LOL I'M SOOO HARD RITE?" The best kind of difficulty is simple; if you fail, you can accept that it was your fault. And SMB's obstacles are always obvious, clear and never unfair but arranged cunningly so that the player's reflexes are the only variable to find at fault.

Best of all, if you actually DO beat it, it lets you replay the game with an amplified difficulty curve, which was awfully generous to the world's sadomasochists.

Runners up: Vanquish, Demon's Souls, Bayonetta, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and any platformer predating 1995.

Driver 2: The Wheelman is Back

See that mission? Looks pretty difficult, huh? Even he only finished it that way because he was extremely lucky. How far you think something like that would be in the game? Couple hours?

Try 10 minutes. That's only the 5th mission of the first city. And that bastard game doesn't get any easier.

See this one:

I spent, I shit you not, 12 hours trying that one back when this game was new. I heard that beeping noise in my sleep. And the game got harder still after that.

God damn, I miss when this series was relevant.

Edited by Celestia

Super Goddamn Meat Boy.

GOD this game is hard. I would be throwing my controller if I wasn't using my keypad. EVERYTHING KILLS YOU. Every jump must. Be. Perfect. Every jump is REALLY HARD. There is death everywhere, and that's most all there is to say on the matter.

This is probably the most platform-hellish game ever.

Lots of mentioning of Lost Levels today. I'm going to have to figure out how I can get my hands on that game now just so I can see HOW hard it really is then... >=)

I've played LOTS of hard games, but for me, I'm going to say Touhou Project. While Touhou spans over 13 games, THEY'RE ALL HARD AS BALLS.

I mean, like, just LOOK AT THIS!

PCByukari140.jpg

Complete Bullet Hell, need I say more? If dodging THIS isn't hard enough, try going through ALL 6 Stages without losing all your lives and having to continue ONCE (aka 1CC, otherwise known as a One Credit Continue to Shoot'emup players) Sure you can continue up to 3 times before the game boots you back to start...you'll still be missing something from the game after you beat it after continuing.

If you somehow manage to beat the game on Normal or Higher without continuing ONCE (something I've only done on the VERY forgiving Touhou 7 once and the surprisingly tame Touhou 04), you unlock the Extra Stage ("Give up already, are you crazy??"), a complete onslaught of nonstop bullets coming at you and a stage even HARDER than any of the game you just "beat". By the time you might THINK you're done, you'll die and realize you were only done 27% of the stage. The other 74% of the stage is a Boss that throws Many many many MANY Patterns of Bullets at you, all of which are unbombable and are just as difficult as the ones within the stage itself (if not, more).

Oh yeah, did I mention that you only get 3 lives and can NOT continue on the Extra Stage? Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

For hardness, It's a tie between Touhou 6 and 7. They're both insanely hard, but in different ways (6 has reasonable Patterns to dodge, but doesn't reward you with as many lives as you would want. Meanwhile, 7 rewards you with lives very often...but this is compensated for as this gives the game just as many reasons to be even MORE brutal than 6 with such patterns as the one I put above)

For runner ups, Perfect Dark's Perfect Agent has stopped me from fully beating the game, also how could nobody mention Tail's Sky Patrol and Diddy Kong Racing? For kid games, those games had some pretty balls difficulty. I could never beat any of those when I was a kid...hell, I STILL have yet to beat Diddy Kong Racing to this day! Also, Sin and Punishment 2 has provided to be really hard, even on it's EASY mode as well. I fear what Normal and Hard will be like... o.O

inb4 my post is invalid because Touhou SA (11) or Shoot the Bullet (9.5) are harder, even though I haven't played them yet...

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 13: Most Difficult Game You've Ever Played

Super Meat Boy is definitely the hardest game I've ever played, I really should get back to beating that game, because I never finished it (last time I played I was fighting the boss in Hell I think). I really do enjoy the game's difficulty, because as SuperStingray said, the obstacles and challenges are simple and clear so when you die you know it's your fault. The controls are too damn fine and precise, so you can't blame your failure on them either.

Runner-Ups would include Vanquish, Devil May Cry 4, and Bayonetta (need to go out and repurchase this game because my brother sold it when I was on my 3rd playthrough or something).