Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Does anyone know what constitutes whether a shounen show gets a continuous series (One Piece, Hunter X Hunter) vs multiple standard 2-cour seasons (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Attack on Titan)

Popularity and frequency of chapters released.

Anyone know any dark,  horror and/or supernatural series with a historical/mystical vibe?

(Such as Inuyasha, Shiki, Gosick, Black Butler etc.) Trying to stretch my boundaries.

Anyone know any dark,  horror and/or supernatural series with a historical/mystical vibe?

(Such as Inuyasha, Shiki, Gosick, Black Butler etc.) Trying to stretch my boundaries.

Gos....fuck.

Uh... I would try out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure if you haven't already

Rosario X Vampire

Rosario X Vampire

The anime version??

Ew

The manga is pretty good come part two though.

Popularity and frequency of chapters released.

Oh I guess that makes sense. Attack on Titan has like the slowest release schedule

Boy I feel like a dummy. I'm watching decades old anime and I'm wondering why it took me forever to get to them.

First off I've been binging on Black Jack. You know the one manga series by Tezuka? The guy behind Astro Boy and Jungle King Leo/Kimba the White Lion? Well I've been watching the 2004 series and its very heartwarming because all of Black Jack's patients go through a lot of shit and are willing to make changes to go through operations and feel better. And I do love Black Jack's character because I feel like while he's definitely harsh to his patients, its mostly for their own good. Like he charges a lot for his operations but again I feel like its him testing his patient's resolve as he always seem to do operations for free. And the fact it revolves around medical things over other stuff which is pretty awesome.

And secondly I've been watching The Rose of Versailles cause why the fuck not? I was curious about it before and boy wasn't I surprised. The art is fantastic to the point I'm willing to say Oscar is the most beautiful anime character in existence which is something. I've heard that this series is also pretty historically accurate as well since it revolves around Marie Antoinette over Oscar who's just part of the royal guard. But the fact that Oscar knows what's up which makes me wanna see it just for her. But I'm still enjoying it regardless and I'm gonna watch through this so I can say "hey I saw that!"

tl;dr CROW is slow with the times but who cares cause CROW is having fun

• Thumbs Up 1

Rosario + Vampire is pretty good, especially for a harem manga. Ending is kinda shit, but it doesn't detract too much from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was joking

what is wrong with all of you

Because the anime took away my ability to laugh. and smile

The manga's actually k tho.

It's pretty k

Rosario + Vampire is pretty good, especially for a harem manga. Ending is kinda shit, but it doesn't detract too much from it.

Not the anime tho.

Remember this

Does anyone know what constitutes whether a shounen show gets a continuous series (One Piece, Hunter X Hunter) vs multiple standard 2-cour seasons (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Attack on Titan)

The Seasonal method is something that has rarely and only recently caught on as a popular secondary method of releasing anime and only a few studios do it. 

You see, in Japan when you put a show on a network, you are not just giving it to them, you have to actually buy certain timeslots for your show. It's like an auction, except that it's the first bidder who gets the timeslot. Re runs are not a thing unless you buy the timeslot again to re run the show, and I believe you pay for every day the show still runs. And once a timeslot is taken, the show does not come off unless the production company who originally made the show stopped making episodes, and for certain shows that's not good for consistency and for any audience you hope to keep. There is also this fear of competition; say you take your show off that slot to make a new season, and all of a sudden the show that took it's timeslot is now gaining in popularity, if it's from your studio, you're in a pickle because now you have to make the tough choice of keeping that show and finding another slot for yours and risk losing viewers, or replacing it and potentially losing viewers from that series. (I don't agree with this logic, but I'm not the one in an executive chair.)

One studio who thrives on keeping their content on the same timeslot for years on end has been Toei, who's kept the same timeslot for One Piece since it got into Water 7. They don't want to take the show off so that it becomes a daily part of people's lives and they have a consistent viewerbase. And since One Piece airs for children in the morning, it has a very profitable timeslot. 

And hey, it works for them. Toei is the only anime studio in Japan currently making consistent profits by the year, but they have other methods for saving money too.

The other popular method was to usually make different series for the same show universe so that way you'd still build hype for a new adventure with the same characters, but new viewers could come in without knowing anything and still follow. (Dragonball to Z. Slayers to Next. Etc.)

The seasonal method has only recently become the next best thing to do recently. I'm not sure why it came to being though; I guess studios just wanted to experiment. 

Ghost Hunt. When they Cry. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai.

And this short manga: http://www.citymanga.com/school_mermaid/chapter-1/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(Warning: Creepy stuff)

Because the anime took away my ability to laugh. and smile

The manga's actually k tho.

It's pretty k

Not the anime tho.

Remember this

But Omega, don't you like panty shots flashed in your face every 20 frickin' seconds?

• Thumbs Up 1

words

Oh wow thanks for the info, that's actually really helpful.

Nothing can replace Jojo though.... not in my heart.

But Omega, don't you like panty shots flashed in your face every 20 frickin' seconds?

Only if they completely neuter all characters of all redeeming quality first!

Seriously they neutered Tsukune so much from his badass manga counterpart. How

• Thumbs Up 3

We don't talk about the Rosario anime, it never happened. It doesn't exist. It is a non-entity.

So I checked out School Mermaid at Visionary's suggestion, hmm... not the kind of horror I am used to, decent. I give it a 7.

So I have been looking into trying an older manga that lasted from 1987-2002 called 3x3 Eyes. It has a very unique story from the OVA I saw. An immortal triclops girl wants to become human and saves her friend by sucking out his soul with her 3rd eye, making them both immortal. And the nice thing is that Pai (the triclops) has a split personality, ala Jekyll & Hyde, though neither one is evil. With the idea of old-school Chinese demons, this may be the first action seinen that I truly try out.

I've been watching Yu Yu Hakusho. It's reminding me of Danny Phantom in some ways, Yusuke even sounds like him.

Welp. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the anime that broke me. I'm gonna have to import those crazy Japanese Blu-rays.

Anyone know how well conditioned these "complete second-hand" copies are? I can manage to snag some for as little as $30

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're talking "second hand" in Japanese terms, expect them to be almost like new/immaculate.

Japan are super anal about condition of goods, and often mark stuff as second hand if it's just been opened, or has tiny marks on it and stuff.

If you're talking "second hand" in Japanese terms, expect them to be almost like new/immaculate.

Japan are super anal about condition of goods, and often mark stuff as second hand if it's just been opened, or has tiny marks on it and stuff.

By second-hand I mean the used section of Amazon JP.

Even the listings around 1,900 Yen? Man that would be great since Jojo has like a 5% of ever getting licensed over here.

So Saber Marionette J is now on hulu in the US! I hope you all enjoy the moe silliness of Lime!

Even the listings around 1,900 Yen? Man that would be great since Jojo has like a 5% of ever getting licensed over here.

I dunno, they could just use the altered names the game has

I dunno, they could just use the altered names the game has

That's bottom of the barrel problems. Do you know how much money it takes to license a Beatles song?

Yeah that's what I mean, anything like that. Just read the seller notes about condition, they normally state what's wrong. Plenty of times i've went for used goods, expecting them to be actually used, gotten them and thought "this is fucking brand new, god dammit Japan.."

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah that's what I mean, anything like that. Just read the seller notes about condition, they normally state what's wrong. Plenty of times i've went for used goods, expecting them to be actually used, gotten them and thought "this is fucking brand new, god dammit Japan.."

Oh yeah, I was just wondering because everytime I ran one of the $20 listings through Google Translate I got like "disc in good condition and (maybe) missing an accessory" and I wasn't sure if that was right at all. If it was a western listing it probably would have been "DISC HAS MANY SCRATCH ON IT MAY NOT WORK. CASE HAS BEEN LOST LONG AGO, COMES IN PAPER SLEEVE".

Pretty odd considering the MSRP. 

Thanks again, these things make my life a little less stressful money-wise.

• Thumbs Up 1