Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Winry is honestly one of the better Shonen female leads really; she wasn't very prominent, but she did have a role that was acknowledged by both the plot and characters. She was never shafted.

Yeah, I didn't like her, but she wasn't tossed to the side or made completely unnecessary. Even great Shonen stories fall in this gap. (Nami and Chi-Chi for ex)

I don't think it's fair to say Winry has no development when she went from 

almost shooting Scar to trusting him to fake-kidnap her.

• Thumbs Up 2

Having seen both series, I'll stand by my stance that 03 was more interesting and had far better drama. It's very rare for shonen to interest me.

Two things I didn't like about FMA were the ending (the movie ruins it even more) and Winry's lack of screen time. I like Winry, and we hardly ever saw her in the 2003 series! Knowing that she appears more often in Brotherhood, I wanna start watching that as soon as I finish my other pending anime and form my own opinion on it.

Got 3x3 Eyes (OVA), got to say that I did not expect such a bloody and gory story from the author of Nuku Nuku. It's really a shame that more of the manga wasn't adapted, as Pai's split personality and the mythological vibe made it unlike any anime I have seen before. Looks like I found the first seinen action worth my time!

In other news, I am having dinner with a competitive gamer who uses the nickname "Kane Blueriver," a reference to Lost Universe.

I thought Winry worked okay as a love interest character. Her relationship with Ed and Al I found interesting enough as were the effect of her parents work in Ishval.

Then again Riza and Olivier are much better anyway. smile.png

Spoilered because super long list

tumblr_n6397k36D51sbxjxco1_500.jpg

tumblr_n6397k36D51sbxjxco2_500.jpg

tumblr_n6397k36D51sbxjxco3_500.jpg

tumblr_n6397k36D51sbxjxco4_500.jpg

tumblr_n6397k36D51sbxjxco5_500.jpg

tumblr_n6397k36D51sbxjxco6_500.jpg

tumblr_n6397k36D51sbxjxco7_500.jpg

tumblr_n6397k36D51sbxjxco8_500.jpg

Anything you guys care about this summer season? For me it's only Dandy Season 2, Zankyou no Terror (Watanabe's other new anime outside of Space Dandy (?) I think anyway) and Aldnoah Zero (because mechs) but even then Aldnoah Zero might turn out to be medicore. I would say the Psycho-Pass re-cut but I don't want to have to worry about the re-cut possibly messing it up so I'll just watch the original eventually. 

As a rail enthusiast, I can't wait to see Rail Wars. And Space Brothers is getting a movie? Why didn't I hear about this until now! D: Both the Pokemon XY and Doraemon movie have my interest as well. 

Oh, before I forget. Anyone else watching No Game No Life?

Alot of people (as was I) are appalled by the weird, sometimes excessive fanservice, but I really recommend giving it a chance. Beyond that it is real quality.

Really? That's a criticism? Shit is tame to some other anime.

Anyway, NGNL is pretty fun, especially since Sora is clearly a Lelouch/Izaya hybrid.

So I've been watching Yu Yu Hakasho for the past couple of weeks and I gotta say this is a pretty awesome series. I remember Cartoon Network showed this during the toonami block many years ago and I liked it but unfortunately I never knew its name because it was in Japanese. The characters are great, the pacing is good and its just well written there are a few things that I felt that they won by dumb luck or easily won a fight without any effort. It doesn't really ruin anything most of it is actually funny and cool. And if there's one thing I have to say is that the theme song kicks ass just listen to it

How come nobody talks about this show? Besides the fact that its old and its over

• Thumbs Up 5

So I've been watching Yu Yu Hakasho for the past couple of weeks and I gotta say this is a pretty awesome series. I remember Cartoon Network showed this during the toonami block many years ago and I liked it but unfortunately I never knew its name because it was in Japanese. The characters are great, the pacing is good and its just well written there are a few things that I felt that they won by dumb luck or easily won a fight without any effort. It doesn't really ruin anything most of it is actually funny and cool. And if there's one thing I have to say is that the theme song kicks ass just listen to it

How come nobody talks about this show? Besides the fact that its old and its over

I actually watched (what I assume is) the first season and I thought it was really good. There was one part though that I called bullcrap on but besides that I really liked it.

After reading the manga until Part 6, took a break to watch the anime of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Currently on part 2.

I really don't see how this couldn't be dubbed by just using the names from the game and using different music for the endings. That said, I'll be plenty happy if it isn't dubbed and anyone who wants to watch it has to watch subs instead :V

EDIT: the soundwork is really good too

I really don't see how this couldn't be dubbed by just using the names from the game and using different music for the endings. That said, I'll be plenty happy if it isn't dubbed and anyone who wants to watch it has to watch subs instead :V

A dub would be nice, and it would bring more people to the game. I don't actually see how that could be a bad thing.

Being forced to watch it in a language you barely understand? Now...that is kinda meh.

Names got changed for the game? I must admit, I've only played the first part- the one with Jonathan and Dio- and in regards to the anime, I'm watching it on the free version of Crunchyroll, so I'm a week behind.

Still, bloody good fun, that series. I'd thought the monologues and pausing mid fight to exclaim things that are obvious would get annoying, but having it turned up to 11 like that makes it sorta... Magical?

...And just how many characters are named after music acts?

So can I watch the Persona anime without playing the games or do I need to play the games to really enjoy it?

I kind of want to experience the Persona story without the emotionless protagonists. I also don't have a Vita yet.

Names got changed for the game? I must admit, I've only played the first part- the one with Jonathan and Dio- and in regards to the anime, I'm watching it on the free version of Crunchyroll, so I'm a week behind.

Still, bloody good fun, that series. I'd thought the monologues and pausing mid fight to exclaim things that are obvious would get annoying, but having it turned up to 11 like that makes it sorta... Magical?

...And just how many characters are named after music acts?

Not so many in Parts 1 and 2, but starting with 3 and especially 4 practically every new Stand or character is the name of a song or a band, so it was all changed on the game.

So can I watch the Persona anime without playing the games or do I need to play the games to really enjoy it?

I kind of want to experience the Persona story without the emotionless protagonists. I also don't have a Vita yet.

You can watch the Anime, but it cuts out a lot of content from the games.

You can watch the Anime, but it cuts out a lot of content from the games.

The movie covering 3 as well? I do plan on playing the games eventually, I just want to know if I should just plug away on the anime before that.

Sorry if I'm ever so slightly changing the rails of this topic, but I'm curious as to what anime you lot have been watching recently, as I'm looking for some fresh stuff to look into. Personally, in May, I went through and watched the following.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, a classic, something worth watching just because it's NGE. Also watched End of Eva, which was...well, it's unique.

I then decided to follow up with Black Lagoon, which was a nice change in tone, and while yes, it is dark in tone, the action is brilliant enough to keep me attached to it. Every character has a unique personality, and it's great.

Then, more recently, I went through Baccano! which I'd like to put out a massive recommendation for. Personally, it's up there with the likes of Cowboy Bebop in terms of masterpiece anime. Also has a dub that, personally, works so much better, thanks to the setting in prohibition era America. Please, give it a watch, it's got so many enjoyable characters, and a story that, while slightly confusing at first, starts to come together rather beautifully by the sixth episode. 

I've also been on-off watching Martian Successor Nadesico, which is like...the opposite of NGE, a perfect antidote to the feeling something serious would leave you with. It's a mecha show that knows what it is, a show about robots punching things. It embraces this, almost coming off as mocking the entire genre as a whole. I like the little jabs at big mecha shows of the time throughout. Bizarrely, in the dub, the main character, Akito, is voiced by Spike Spencer, who also gave his voice to Shinji in NGE. This leads to...some strange moments. 

(Big ol' first post here for me, but I've just became massively interested in anime recently.)

• Thumbs Up 1

The only anime i've watched recently is KILL la KILL, Daybreak Illusion and One Piece. I might give Jojo a go since I've heard so many people talking bout it. Trying to cut down on what I get into because I end up getting obsessive over stuff and start buying into the merch side of things, so I try to limit myself.

Sorry if I'm ever so slightly changing the rails of this topic, but I'm curious as to what anime you lot have been watching recently, as I'm looking for some fresh stuff to look into. Personally, in May, I went through and watched the following.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, a classic, something worth watching just because it's NGE. Also watched End of Eva, which was...well, it's unique.

I then decided to follow up with Black Lagoon, which was a nice change in tone, and while yes, it is dark in tone, the action is brilliant enough to keep me attached to it. Every character has a unique personality, and it's great.

Then, more recently, I went through Baccano! which I'd like to put out a massive recommendation for. Personally, it's up there with the likes of Cowboy Bebop in terms of masterpiece anime. Also has a dub that, personally, works so much better, thanks to the setting in prohibition era America. Please, give it a watch, it's got so many enjoyable characters, and a story that, while slightly confusing at first, starts to come together rather beautifully by the sixth episode. 

I've also been on-off watching Martian Successor Nadesico, which is like...the opposite of NGE, a perfect antidote to the feeling something serious would leave you with. It's a mecha show that knows what it is, a show about robots punching things. It embraces this, almost coming off as mocking the entire genre as a whole. I like the little jabs at big mecha shows of the time throughout. Bizarrely, in the dub, the main character, Akito, is voiced by Spike Spencer, who also gave his voice to Shinji in NGE. This leads to...some strange moments. 

(Big ol' first post here for me, but I've just became massively interested in anime recently.)

Haven't been watching stuff in an organized manner in a while I'm afraid, just on-off watching stuff. So;

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Getter Robo

...boku no pico

Gundam Unicorn

the Madoka movies

Shin Mazinger

Serial Experiments Lain

All good stuff of diverging levels of quality. Except for Pico.

All good stuff of diverging levels of quality. Except for Pico.

Yeah...I felt obliged not to mention that I watched the first OVA of that, because I also did that this month. It was out of gross curiosity, and while I was thoroughly disturbed...I found myself laughing at how awful it was. I'm not going to talk about my opinion on that genre in a whole, because that's a different topic altogether, but it had little to no proper narrative or character development, it came across as just existing for fap material, which made it so much worse. Really pretty awful, just on that alone.

I have never, ever had the courage to watch Boku no Pico. I'd rather watch La Blue Girl of Urotsukidoji over that and I haven't seen those either!

As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of hentai/ecchi anime. I have watched Chobits though, which sorta counts as an ecchi but that was really good and most ecchi is not good. XP

I've been watching Welcome to the NHK. I find it interesting, if unsettling and depressing at times.

• Thumbs Up 1