Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

So I started watching One Piece recently and I really like it. I'm going at a steady pace of an episode a day, mostly because other seasonal anime are taking up my time. But today I finished the "Romance Dawn" story arc and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Now, I noticed that there are movies, and that the movies take place chronologically between episodes. However, Funimation hasn't dubbed all the movies. If they did, I can't find them available anywhere. So I wanna ask, for those who have seen One Piece and the movies, do the movies have any important plot points or can I just skip them? Because I can't be bothered to find the Japanese versions at this point.

They all have chronological placements, but are unimportant to the overall plot. 

Good movies are - Movie 6, Movie 10(Strong World), Movie 11 (Film Z)

Everything else is ass

I just got finished watching the anime version of Little Busters, and I was very impressed (keep in mind I haven't played the VN). I'm not good at describing things, so I'll let TV Tropes take care of that.

Little Busters! tells the story of protagonist Riki Naoe, who is a member of the titular Little Busters, a group consisting of four boys and one girl who have all been close friends since childhood. The other members are the leader Kyousuke, his shy and quiet sister Rin, the muscle-obsessed Masato and the kendo user Kengo. The story begins one day in the Little Busters' second year of high school, when they decide to play a game of baseball but need more players. Riki recruits five new girls to join them: childlike Komari, troublemaker Haruka, big-sisterly Yuiko, frail Mio, and But Not Too Foreign Kudryavka.

And there you have it. A pleasant but sometimes sad anime with an endearing and colorful cast of characters. Each character that wasn't already in the group has their own backstory and their own trials and tribulations that Riki helps them through. This, mixed with the great character development makes the cast very interesting to watch. it's also (mostly) good about fanservice. That is, the lack of it.

My only complaints are that Riki's narrations can be a bit... navel gaze-y. It's kinda tiring. Speaking of navel gaze-y, Mio's arc was a bit... out there. The kind of out there that makes you just sit in front of the screen looking like ":/".

Besides that, I really enjoyed this show. It's probably "eh" compared to the VN, but for someone who hasn't played it, I think it was very good.

I think my favorite character was Kud. She's adorable and her arc actually made me tear up a little at one point.

Now and Then, Here and There is really fucking good so far. Just the thing I needed to get out of my anime slump.

It's an oldie from the late 90s so I'm pretty sure most modern fans never have saw it, but I really suggest it. Big on themes like child warfare and such,

None of the One Piece movies are canon, even the ones that Toei claims are canon.

None of the One Piece movies are canon, even the ones that Toei claims are canon.

Didn't Oda himself write Film Z or something? That one might as well be canon.

Film Z and Strong World are the only ones Oda himself had a hand in, and the only ones that can fit within the timeline of the series. there's a lead up mini arc in the anime for both.

He has been involved in some of the recent films but I don't believe anything he has said indicated that it's canon. None of the movies will ever be referenced in the main anime or the manga anyway, and it would otherwise be unfair for people who exclusively follow the manga to have to miss out on vital information not covered in that version. I think it's safe to say that despite his involvement, they're 100% inconsequential to One Piece as a whole.

Actually, Strong World has been referenced in the series; or more specifically, it's main villain. Shiki was given a namedrop during the Impel Down arc, and has had a history in the One Piece world. However, the events of Movie 10 is debated whether they are canon or not.

He has been involved in some of the recent films but I don't believe anything he has said indicated that it's canon. None of the movies will ever be referenced in the main anime or the manga anyway, and it would otherwise be unfair for people who exclusively follow the manga to have to miss out on vital information not covered in that version. I think it's safe to say that despite his involvement, they're 100% inconsequential to One Piece as a whole.

Just because they're inconsequential doesn't mean they aren't canon :V

I just got finished watching the anime version of Little Busters, and I was very impressed (keep in mind I haven't played the VN). I'm not good at describing things, so I'll let TV Tropes take care of that.

And there you have it. A pleasant but sometimes sad anime with an endearing and colorful cast of characters. Each character that wasn't already in the group has their own backstory and their own trials and tribulations that Riki helps them through. This, mixed with the great character development makes the cast very interesting to watch. it's also (mostly) good about fanservice. That is, the lack of it.

My only complaints are that Riki's narrations can be a bit... navel gaze-y. It's kinda tiring. Speaking of navel gaze-y, Mio's arc was a bit... out there. The kind of out there that makes you just sit in front of the screen looking like ":/".

Besides that, I really enjoyed this show. It's probably "eh" compared to the VN, but for someone who hasn't played it, I think it was very good.

I think my favorite character was Kud. She's adorable and her arc actually made me tear up a little at one point.

I just finished watching it too!! But in my case I´ve read the VN previously, I just wanted to see the adaptation.

And...well, first seaons is kidn of a letdown, Refrain is a bit better, but way too rushed (they did the crucial moments very well, though)

btw, Mio´s arc in the VN is beautiful, the anime ending is way too rushed

Okay, I'm sure you heard of Viz licensing the ENTIRE Sailor Moon franchise and is rereleasing everything again with new dubs and what not, right?

Well, it gets better with Viz:

tumblr_n5oxvcBNfz1rtdg3jo1_500.png

Mhm, I heard about this earlier today. Honestly, I don't remember watching the original English dub aside from one episode on VHS. I'm gonna hop on the series this Monday and hopefully I'll be interested enough to follow it. I already mentioned I was going to see the new reboot airing this summer, and watching the original is a good way of getting prepared and hyped a bit. I'm glad to see all the episodes are going to be uncut and will have the same plot as the original Japanese versions.

What I'm interested in seeing is they'll redub the opening song similar to how Funimation did with One Piece. I mean, I don't mind the Japanese songs, but I think an English version would help with the overall feel of the show if that makes sense. Sometimes it's weird hearing English voices and having Japanese opening and endings, you know? 

What I'm interested in seeing is they'll redub the opening song similar to how Funimation did with One Piece. I mean, I don't mind the Japanese songs, but I think an English version would help with the overall feel of the show if that makes sense. Sometimes it's weird hearing English voices and having Japanese opening and endings, you know?

Ehh uhh...wha?

Isn't it weirder to have an English opening to a Japanese anime regardless of language? It kind of makes it...a little awkward.

Ehh uhh...wha?

Isn't it weirder to have an English opening to a Japanese anime regardless of language? It kind of makes it...a little awkward.

No? I mean, if they're making a new English dub, where everything will be in English but the Japanese opening, it would be weird. When Sailor Moon first aired outside of Japan, they dubbed the opening as well, so I thought I'd make sense if they did it again. 

Ehh uhh...wha?

Plus, not dubbing the theme songs to anime is far more common nowadays.

Eh, disregard what I said. A quick view on Viz's Twitter page and I found this:

mzscAr8.png

Now I'm not against Japanese openings or anything, I was just saying it'd feel more localized if they dubbed it. But I suppose their target audience is fans of the original Japanese version, so they wanted to be as authentic as possible. Which is fine. It's just that when you see anime air in other countries, you know mostly in Europe, they tend to dub the openings as well. Bleh, whatever. I said something stupid. sleep.png

Eh, disregard what I said. A quick view on Viz's Twitter page and I found this:

Now I'm not against Japanese openings or anything, I was just saying it'd feel more localized if they dubbed it. But I suppose their target audience is fans of the original Japanese version, so they wanted to be as authentic as possible. Which is fine. It's just that when you see anime air in other countries, you know mostly in Europe, they tend to dub the openings as well. Bleh, whatever. I said something stupid. sleep.png

Haha honestly, I only recall 4Kids doing that to the anime they claimed or if the programme was on Fox Kids. Remember the totally bitching Outlaw Star opening? Gets'cha pumped.

fucking ruined

no more fighting evil by moonlight

But with it already existing, you can always insert it yourself?

The Japanese dub American openings. Why is it weird for us to do the same?

And also, 4kids aren't the only ones to dub openings. 

The Japanese dub American openings. Why is it weird for us to do the same?

If you're so confident could you post some examples?

edit: Not trying to sound condescending, but I really can't think of any examples.

... WHY WOULD YOU BOTH oops sorry caps was on

why would you bother dubbing an anime but not the opening?

Sure 

Want more?

Okay did you even bother listening to these? They might have done this earlier, but it's an old practice. If you actually listened to the links you posted, you would figure out that both modern shows you posted (TMNT 03, 14, and Pac-Man) have completely original themes.

Post more if you want I guess. They're fun to listen to.

... WHY WOULD YOU BOTH oops sorry caps was on

why would you bother dubbing an anime but not the opening?

Because most song dubs sound pretty bad compared to the original recording, plus (I wouldn't know, but) I'd imagine it'd cost them more than it's worth for a dub.

Plus not alot of people want songs mutilated by dirty Ameripigs

They still make music for their own language, that was the point if you lost it. They don't just leave it be. Since our dubbing companies don't make completely original songs anymore, the least they can do is dub the japanese song. 

But you don't seem to be a fan of dubbed songs in general, so it's like talking to a brick wall.