Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

In regards to the question of giving up the whole medium, what if 95% of cinema was Michael Bay?  And you couldn't tell beforehand if a film was part of the 95% or the other 5%?

But it isn't. Just like how 95% of anime isn't Sword Art Online.

Always doubt online hype, as with anything. Otherwise of course you'll only end up with the harem shows.

Always doubt online hype, as with anything. Otherwise of course you'll only end up with the harem shows.

B-but without online hype I would have never known about Jojo.

Ok, fine, let me rephrase.

Never jump headfirst based solely on online hype.

• Thumbs Up 1

But it isn't. Just like how 95% of anime isn't Sword Art Online.

Maybe not 95%, and I should hope not SAO levels of awfulness, but if I were to take the time to tabulate my experience, I'm confident that the bad-to-good percentage wouldn't be too far away.

Ok, fine, let me rephrase.

Never jump headfirst based solely on online hype.

I didn't, though.  I went in the same way I always go into anime, which is "based on this premise, this could be okay."  (And it did indeed have something okay about it, but the not-okays kept on racking up.)  The online hype is something I only hear in passing and hoped would be true, because it can't be wrong all the time, right?  But I'm well aware of the fact that the only people who'd have had an idea what this particular anime would be like beforehand would be the people who read and enjoyed the original light novels, which is a very select and I suspect undiscriminating audience; it would just be nice to hear a proper dissenting voice beforehand.

The general result is that you never really know what to expect from a new anime before you watch it.  But likewise, you also can't trust the hype when something you might actually really enjoy comes along, so you have to take that risk.  Well, so too everything, so that would be all well and good if we were looking at a balanced field.  Disappointment is inevitable.  My complaint is that the disappointments seem to have been growing considerably more numerous lately; it's not just one anime I'm complaining about here.  Conversely, it's been a while since the last anime I wholeheartedly enjoyed all of, rather than just finding it merely okay.  Where bad outweighs good and awful outnumbers awesome, both between and within individual anime, is it still worth bothering trying to find the excellent among the execrable?  Please note that this is a personal view and not one that I demand everyone agree with; as such, I'd be quite happy to be convinced otherwise.

Where bad outweighs good and awful outnumbers awesome, both between and within individual anime, is it still worth bothering trying to find the excellent among the execrable?

This way of thinking is what drives people to assume that all modern music sucks instead of searching for something good.

Getting back to anime, though, it is worth it when you find something truly good to watch, even amongst all the crap. In a sea of Oreimos, Zero No Tsukaimas and Future Card Buddyfights, it's very satisfying to find a Princess Tutu or Little Busters, even if it's just every once in a while. It makes you glad these things exist, that they're here to say that, "Hey, this medium isn't total crap." And that's why it's worth it IMO.

Basically its a harem anime with the primary pairing being the protagonist and his little sister. As for why its terrible, because his little sister is a fucking bitch, even moreso than your typical Tsundere, and naturally they end up together.

Or to put it in hilarious terms, fast forward to about 6:45 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT5NuM-7B4o

Wow. Fucking wow.

I haven't seen this anime because the second the "Closet otaku" bullshit came into play in the first episode I gave up on it right then and there.

But damn that is shit.

When in doubt on what to watch, I always start by giving a try to whatever's airing with different art styles.

On that line, I suggest Kaiba and Tetsujin 28-go (2004)

EDIT: I should finish watching Oreimo. I hated the first season so much I actually enjoyed it. It's odd.

Yes watch Kaiba it's a very good and interesting show !

The art is highly unique; if any of you remember the plant episode from Space Dandy, it's just like that episode's style - Choi Eun-Young directed said episode and worked on some episodes of Kaiba herself. In contrast with the surreal and cartoony look, it's a somber and poignant show. I'm admittedly a huge fan of stories that contrast the tone with its appearance, such as this and Rice Boy.

Have I mentioned the music is absolutely gorgeous:

If I had to cite a flaw, it's that the story is definitely the weakest part about the show. Everything else is great but I think the writers focused so much on atmosphere and side stories at first that they really rushed the plot in the last third of the anime, and I really wish it just stuck with the format of the first half.

However you shouldn't watch Kaiba for the plot, anyway. More people need to check it out and it's a dream of mine for it to be licensed one of these days.

I haven't gotten any notifications for Koe no Katachi this week.

I guess either the writer is taking breaks every other week or the translators are.

Someone on Retro described the -gatari series as "twilight for guys", in the sense it's vapid crap just intended to let guys vicariously live their fantasies. Anyone confirm? I'd actually be interested to check that out to see if my repulsion of Twilight was not liking this kind of stuff or just not liking this kind of stuff when not aimed at my gender.

Someone on Retro described the -gatari series as "twilight for guys", in the sense it's vapid crap just intended to let guys vicariously live their fantasies. Anyone confirm? I'd actually be interested to check that out to see if my repulsion of Twilight was not liking this kind of stuff or just not liking this kind of stuff when not aimed at my gender.

Whaaaat??? Wow can't be more wrong Monogatari is one of my favorite series. Unless your fantasy is being as amazing as the main character, then you may have a point. Comparing it to Twilight is pretty vapid and silly since Monogatari has smart, funny jokes and wordplay.

Id still suggest checking Monogatari out yourself to form your own opinion. I'm probably a bit biased towards it myself.

Forgive my sentence structure and shit I'm on my phone it's hard to type

for what it's worth, Demolition D liked it. He tends to share the same opinions as me on anime.

Wait, Katanagatari's related to the Bakemonogatari-Nisemonogatari-whatever shows? Had no idea, was planning on watching Katanagatari on artstyle alone.

Hheeeeelllllll naw. The first season, Bakemonogatari is basically about this guy that helps cure girls that have been haunted or, rather cursed by a spirit. It's quite interesting and I enjoyed it a lot. It has nice visuals, a nice story and a kick ass soundtrack. 

Edit: Wait, Katanagatari is a completely different series that has no relation to the Monogatari series.

Huh. Well I'll add it to my to-watch list, although I want to rewatch Lain first.

Also on recommending animu, I've probably recommended this one before already but Gankutsuou

aka "why is this odd anime acidic sci-fi retelling of Comte de Monte Cristo the most faithful adaption the books have had"

This way of thinking is what drives people to assume that all modern music sucks instead of searching for something good.

Getting back to anime, though, it is worth it when you find something truly good to watch, even amongst all the crap. In a sea of Oreimos, Zero No Tsukaimas and Future Card Buddyfights, it's very satisfying to find a Princess Tutu or Little Busters, even if it's just every once in a while. It makes you glad these things exist, that they're here to say that, "Hey, this medium isn't total crap." And that's why it's worth it IMO.

Oh, I'm sure there's something good out there; it would be pretty improbable for the entire medium to be either garbage or just mediocre, even taking into account subjective preferences.  I've really enjoyed some anime, but the search sure is an endurance match, and at a low ebb it's easy to question whether the rewards are worth it.  I hope a better season will spring itself on me next time, at least.

aka "why is this odd anime acidic sci-fi retelling of Comte de Monte Cristo the most faithful adaption the books have had"

Kinda reminds me of how Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple was far more faithful than I could possibly have imagined for a Poirot/Marple anime with a schoolgirl main protagonist.  That premise is just such a recipe for disaster.  And yet maybe it's because of the distance from the original that they were able to get it right...?

My search for a mecha series that isn't melodramatic and saddening continues. Not sure which Gundams to test out and Genesis of Aquarion sounds overwhelming from what I haave read. Might I like the remake of Tstsujin-28?

Wait, Katanagatari's related to the Bakemonogatari-Nisemonogatari-whatever shows? Had no idea, was planning on watching Katanagatari on artstyle alone.

No. Not at all.

Katanagatari is about a strategist and "human sword" as they collect 12 blades infused with great power, set in ancient Japan

Bakemonogatari and subsequent seasons are about a half-vampire boy with his loli vampire master-servant as they expel monsters or apparitions which has possessed people.

Guys, I need your advice. I'm completely caught up with Attack on Titan, but now I'm debating on catching up to the other series I follow, such as Toriko, One Piece, Fairy Tail, and Bleach. I mainly stick to the English dub and only watch the DVD's since I like supporting the people that give us the content, but I wanna know, how do you guys watch your Anime? Do you wait for the dubs or do you skip ahead and catch up to the most recent content regardless of what format it is in?

Guys, I need your advice. I'm completely caught up with Attack on Titan, but now I'm debating on catching up to the other series I follow, such as Toriko, One Piece, Fairy Tail, and Bleach. I mainly stick to the English dub and only watch the DVD's since I like supporting the people that give us the content, but I wanna know, how do you guys watch your Anime? Do you wait for the dubs or do you skip ahead and catch up to the most recent content regardless of what format it is in?

I watch the dubs up until they stop (in the case of One Piece) then I switch to subs

I don't watch dubs at all so uh

Oh but Golden Boy has a steller dub. Very educational.

I'm probably going to start watching the subs of Toriko, mainly because there is absolutely no word on the English dub continuing. 

My search for a mecha series that isn't melodramatic and saddening continues. Not sure which Gundams to test out and Genesis of Aquarion sounds overwhelming from what I haave read. Might I like the remake of Tstsujin-28?

Er

Yes...? It's frankly one of the most saddening shows I've watched, so maybe? :V

Shin Mazinger, the Getter Robo OVAs, G Gundam, the Patlabor OVAs. Those are all more hotblooded and fun.

I just stick to dubs when I can. Only exceptions are when I'm just that curious about an anime either that hasn't been dubbed yet or just hasn't been dubbed,