Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

I stick to dubs when I can, but watch the latest episodes with subs. I wouldn't recommend, reading the One Piece manga if you don't want to suffer the effects of slow pacing. At least you can stay surprised when you just watch the anime and not nitpick about everything awful.

My search for a mecha series that isn't melodramatic and saddening continues. Not sure which Gundams to test out and Genesis of Aquarion sounds overwhelming from what I haave read. Might I like the remake of Tstsujin-28?

Super Robot Wars.

Seriously it's just people in robots blowing each other up, there's no pretentious bullshit, just a bunch of super robots doing what super robots do: fight each other.

As much as I enjoy anime/manga, I admit it's been hard for me to get into some of the current series out there, even the widely acclaimed ones. I liked Madoka fine, but I'm not willing to watch it again. Attack on Titan is neat, but.. sort of the same issue. Kill la Kill? I like it more than the other two, but I still face the problem of not feeling very invested in continuing or finishing it. I seem to have some very picky tastes 8(

But I will say that the most recent adaptation of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has been amazing. I read the manga just before watching the show, and it's really great to see an adaptation stick so close to the original material. Heck I stopped reading so I could watch the anime instead, since I don't have to worry about it diverging too much. Also makes anticipating the next episode a little more special to me!

Also enjoying Black Lagoon so far as it's airing on Toonami. I wasn't sure what to expect from it, but man it's been a fun watch. I've missed the past two episodes though, so I hope to not miss the next!

My absolute favorite series though, will always be Trigun. It might be confusing at times, and not without its flaws, but wow just the emotional impact the series has on me. Maybe it's because it was one of the first anime I ever watched as a kid, that was beyond DBZ or Sailor Moon in content, but everything about Trigun, the setting, the characters, the story, is just so charming to me. I don't think I've watched a series quite like it, or one that's left me so interested in its world and continuity. The anime is great, but IMO the manga is even better, and somehow manages to be even MORE heart twisting, while still an absolute blast in terms of action and the characters. If you can handle Nightow's extremely messy art style, I'd really suggest it to anyone that hasn't read it yet! 

... Or better yet, maybe they could pull a FMA:Brotherhood and adapt Trigun's manga into an anime, too. So unlikely, but would still be wonderful... 

My search for a mecha series that isn't melodramatic and saddening continues. Not sure which Gundams to test out and Genesis of Aquarion sounds overwhelming from what I haave read. Might I like the remake of Tstsujin-28?

Have you tried King of Braves GaoGaiGar? It's pretty much just a show about a cyborg dude in a giant robot beating up the robot monster of the week. It DOES get pretty serious later on, but it's nothing super miserable either. At least as far as what I am aware. I have yet to watch an episode that's outright depressing. I think the main character helps keep it from being that anyways; the guy's a hotblooded hunk 'o bravery and optimism, no matter what happens.

I also second Super Robot Wars. It can be a bit dark at times, from what I can remember, but still nothing depressing either. Animation's a bit stiff and choppy, but still an enjoyable show overall.

So apparently Doraemon is FINALLY coming to the US and possibly other countries as well. The worst thing about this is that some 4Kids style edits are being made to make it "suitable" for US TV. Which is complete bullshit and one of the reasons why Doraemon's creator didn't want the series to be released outside of Japan in the first place.

To give you an idea of the edits, here's some examples from Sean's tumblr (will be edited if Sean doesn't want me linking it): http://seancats.tumblr.com/post/85575979213/ashestoashesjc-ca-tsuka-some-adjustments

-First aid kit being replaced by a pizza (wtf?)

-Yen being replaced with US dollars

-Chopsticks being replaced with forks/spoons.

This is incredibly disappointing, especially because I love Doraemon and to see them butcher the series with shit like this is heartbreaking. I thought all this would have stopped without 4Kids around anymore!

... Doraemon's been outside of japan for decades. Everyone in here grew up with it, for an example.

Whaddyamacallit xD! Forgot it's name! blush.png

I don't know if this should be surprising; it seems that, so long as an anime is "for kids" (a class which it is at least now recognised does not apply to all anime, everywhere), the editors still hack them to pieces to be "child-friendly" and "relateable."  The dub of Digimon Fusion a.k.a. Xros Wars is, as I gather it, utterly horrible because of this (they apparently aren't allowed to mention battles or darkness).

Whaddyamacallit xD! Forgot it's name! blush.png

I'm not sure even sure what this contributes to the topic.  You're going to have to post a few more sentences, for one.  Second, your post is so vague that none of us have any idea what this pertains to.  Please avoid these kind of posts in the future, as we tend to mark them as spam. ^^ <3

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know if this should be surprising; it seems that, so long as an anime is "for kids" (a class which it is at least now recognised does not apply to all anime, everywhere), the editors still hack them to pieces to be "child-friendly" and "relateable."  The dub of Digimon Fusion a.k.a. Xros Wars is, as I gather it, utterly horrible because of this (they apparently aren't allowed to mention battles or darkness).

It amazes me on how much stuff the Tamers dub got away with considering 4kids did it.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's some food for thought; the original animators were the ones who actually did all those edits.

And yeah, this is something a lot of TV networks Are anal about; they won't air foreign shows for kids unless most of the foreign references are taken out. Though it still bugs me that most of them are; the only one I'm ok with is the translation of words. This is going to air on Disney XD's new preschool block, really early in the morning. The kid's should at least be able to read. Other than that, these all are bullshit.

So apparently Doraemon is FINALLY coming to the US and possibly other countries as well. The worst thing about this is that some 4Kids style edits are being made to make it "suitable" for US TV. Which is complete bullshit and one of the reasons why Doraemon's creator didn't want the series to be released outside of Japan in the first place.

To give you an idea of the edits, here's some examples from Sean's tumblr (will be edited if Sean doesn't want me linking it): http://seancats.tumblr.com/post/85575979213/ashestoashesjc-ca-tsuka-some-adjustments

-First aid kit being replaced by a pizza (wtf?)

-Yen being replaced with US dollars

-Chopsticks being replaced with forks/spoons.

This is incredibly disappointing, especially because I love Doraemon and to see them butcher the series with shit like this is heartbreaking. I thought all this would have stopped without 4Kids around anymore!

Good god that destroys the dub for me. I've been wanting Doraemon to come to the US, but not like this. I'd like to know who's doing the dubbing for this.

It amazes me on how much stuff the Tamers dub got away with considering 4kids did it.

Actually, that was Saban. At the time Tamers aired, 4kids was in their extreme paranoia phase where any allusions to death were seen as too extreme, to give an example. ...well, minus the Pokémon movies.

Fullmetal Alchemist is pretty amazing. Has anyone mentioned it recently here?

Actually, that was Saban. At the time Tamers aired, 4kids was in their extreme paranoia phase where any allusions to death were seen as too extreme, to give an example. ...well, minus the Pokémon movies.

Tamers aired in 2001-2002 right? No; at that time 4kids was still somewhat lenient with most of their properties and could still say stuff like, "destroy, or perish". Stuff like Kirby got away with that. yugiOh was sort of on and off; the most gruesome stuff got shadow realmed, but sometimes "destroyed" was used.

Fullmetal Alchemist is pretty amazing. Has anyone mentioned it recently here?

It has its own thread.

Still, 4kids actually showed Leomon's death in Tamers and even called it as such.

Still, 4kids actually showed Leomon's death in Tamers and even called it as such.

That wasn't 4kids. It was Saban. That's what I was trying to say. XD;

Been watching a lot of Ranma 1/2 lately. Is that show popular? I mean there's about 200 ish episodes and for some reason I always feel like watching a couple when I'm bored even though it doesn't really go anywhere!

I know a lot of people hate Saban, but I actually think their dubs aren't too bad. Sure their dialogue is at times cringeworthy and they replace a lot of the background music, change (some!) names etc. BUT one thing they don't usually do is edit or cut scenes of death and violence. Hell they even kept the scene in Season 1 of Digimon where Yamato's dad is smoking! 4Kids would've edited that out for sure!

Also, their Samurai Pizza Cats dub is fecking amazing and arguably better than the Japanese original.

Saban's older Digimon dubs weren't terrible. I'd argue that Adventure and Adventure 02 really haven't aged well, though, and actually did censor some death (notably Pumpmon and Gotsumon, who were sent to a dungeon). Tamers' dub is still pretty solid, IMO, but I just prefer the tone of the Japanese version. The music, the more serious and sincere approach to tone and characterization, and lack of extra dialogue just make it easier for me to watch now that I'm older.

That said, Digimon Fusion? Nothing like Saban's older dubs. There's far more censorship to 4kids levels, really pointless name changes (though some were Toei mandated, like SlushAngemon), and while I'll give their voice cast credit for giving it their all, the executive meddling that went on with Fusion is just unfortunate. No references to death allowed, cannot use the word "fight" under most circumstances, jokes about a character being unable to speak Japanese despite being from Japan... I suspect a lot came from the networks and Toei, but it's still unfortunate after Tamers' and Frontier's solid and enjoyable dubs.

Saban's older Digimon dubs weren't terrible. I'd argue that Adventure and Adventure 02 really haven't aged well, though, and actually did censor some death (notably Pumpmon and Gotsumon, who were sent to a dungeon). Tamers' dub is still pretty solid, IMO, but I just prefer the tone of the Japanese version. The music, the more serious and sincere approach to tone and characterization, and lack of extra dialogue just make it easier for me to watch now that I'm older.

I have to ask, are any of the Adventure/02 original lines filled to burst with puns? Because I swear to god upon re-watchng puns take up a significant amount of the dialogue, like it's crazy how much puns they put in.

No. The Japanese Digimon has very few puns compared to the English dubs. It has some wacky Japanese humor, but as a whole, it takes itself far more seriously than the English dub. For example, Devimon is actually menacing and doesn't crack jokes. Same with Vamdemon/Myotismon. Tailmon/Gatomon is more serious and isn't a walking cat-pun, and Yamato is WAY quieter and introspective compared to Matt. Mimi is by far better in the Japanese version, and is actually knowledgeable about things such as science fiction novels and hiking.

So I started watching One Piece recently and I really like it. I'm going at a steady pace of an episode a day, mostly because other seasonal anime are taking up my time. But today I finished the "Romance Dawn" story arc and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Now, I noticed that there are movies, and that the movies take place chronologically between episodes. However, Funimation hasn't dubbed all the movies. If they did, I can't find them available anywhere. So I wanna ask, for those who have seen One Piece and the movies, do the movies have any important plot points or can I just skip them? Because I can't be bothered to find the Japanese versions at this point.