Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

You know how Polar Bear's Cafe is an anime where all seems to be happiness, friendship and silly but funny humor...but today...well...

tumblr_mi85nhwsnW1qhhv13o3_250.gif

tumblr_mi7zs3GfAm1rwb0mro1_250.giftumblr_mi7zs3GfAm1rwb0mro2_250.giftumblr_mi7zs3GfAm1rwb0mro4_250.gif

For some moments it was really heartbreaking...

I just finished watching Polar Bear Cafe as well. That episode...

They really know how to hit you upside the head with emotion. This show was supposed to be heartwarming!

Also, finishing the episode with Full Time Panda's Song was a great detail because...well...after such a sad episode, if they aired the current ending "Pandaholic" it'd have been akward and also kind of mood breaker tongue.png

Edited by Polar Vec

Just came here to say if anybody knows Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, I shall give them gigantic hugs. It's...really the only manga I'm into now, considering I've been a fan of it for 7 years now. I know the anime recently came out and is currently in Part 2 and may be a huge gateway for new fans, which is lovely. I am a fan of other manga though, though not much. The only ones I remember the top of my head are Hellsing and Devilman, ah hah. I rarely watch anime either but that's cause I'm very picky. My favorite is Neon Genesis Evangelion. I sadly haven't watched the Rebuild series, so I guess I should start on that.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just came here to say if anybody knows Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, I shall give them gigantic hugs. It's...really the only manga I'm into now, considering I've been a fan of it for 7 years now. I know the anime recently came out and is currently in Part 2 and may be a huge gateway for new fans, which is lovely. I am a fan of other manga though, though not much. The only ones I remember the top of my head are Hellsing and Devilman, ah hah. I rarely watch anime either but that's cause I'm very picky. My favorite is Neon Genesis Evangelion. I sadly haven't watched the Rebuild series, so I guess I should start on that.

Jojo is awesome. Araki is an amazing author and every part has it charms. Are you reading Part 8? I'm really curious about who Josuke really is.

The anime adaption is perfect, I can't really complain about it. We awaited so long for an anime and David Production is doing an amazing job. The only problem is the weird censorship - why did they censor Stroheim's "heil"? 

• Thumbs Up 4

The anime adaption is perfect, I can't really complain about it. We awaited so long for an anime and David Production is doing an amazing job. The only problem is the weird censorship - why did they censor Stroheim's "heil"? 

What's a heil? Who are the Nazis? What is "World War 2"?

I think the censorship is probably the result of japan being a little touchy about the whole Hitler thing still. Which is kind of odd considering it was apparently fine in the original manga.

Oh well. 

Reminds me, I need to catch up with the anime. The last ep I watched was the pole climb. 
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jojo is awesome. Araki is an amazing author and every part has it charms. Are you reading Part 8? I'm really curious about who Josuke really is.

Actually yes. Josuke is proving to be a great main Jojo and I can't wait to read more of it. Finding out who he really is is gonna be great to learn throughout the chapters. The sad thing is that, due to waiting for 'so' long for Part 7 to get translated completely, which took plenty of years, I still haven't read it yet, I heard it's such a fantastic Part too but nope, I'm too lazy.

I think the reason why they censored it is due to, well... not making anybody complain considering it's always a touchy subject, but yes, the anime has been fantastic. Part 2 is wonderful, ahhh~ I really can't wait for Part 6 though. I read every chapter as they were released in the JJBA Community Forums and it felt like everybody bonded as a family as we discussed what was gonna happen and other plot points. It was a great time.

• Thumbs Up 1

So recently, I started watching Black Rock Shooter, after seeing and hearing so many positive things about the anime. When I started watching the first episode, I was just purely amazed by the art style, and especially the fluidity of the animation and the scale of the action. I also like the first episodes slice-of-life aspect, (which continues in the other episodes), as it's a nice break from the action and fights. I must also commend it for actually focusing on story, and not polluting it with fanservicey garbage whenever it can (looking at you, Ikkitousen.). So yeah, this anime's pretty good. The animation is crisp and fluid in the action scenes (and the non-action ones for that matter), the story is pretty good, and it's just an enjoyable anime.

Edited by George Lucas

Actually yes. Josuke is proving to be a great main Jojo and I can't wait to read more of it. Finding out who he really is is gonna be great to learn throughout the chapters. The sad thing is that, due to waiting for 'so' long for Part 7 to get translated completely, which took plenty of years, I still haven't read it yet, I heard it's such a fantastic Part too but nope, I'm too lazy.

I think the reason why they censored it is due to, well... not making anybody complain considering it's always a touchy subject, but yes, the anime has been fantastic. Part 2 is wonderful, ahhh~ I really can't wait for Part 6 though. I read every chapter as they were released in the JJBA Community Forums and it felt like everybody bonded as a family as we discussed what was gonna happen and other plot points. It was a great time.

I really want to see Part 6 animated too but that's going to take a while (if it ever happens)... I'm kind of newer to the Jojo fandom so the only part that I read as it is released is Part 8. I actually have an account in the JJBA Community Forums but I hardly post over there.

Jojo is very old as a manga right? I'm pretty sure I know what's up from some research I did last semester; the same thing happened with Persona 2, they removed all the explicit references to Hitler and Nazis in the remake.

Believe it or not this isn't because of touchy subjects or censorship, but because of a (relatively recent I'm guessing) law in Japan that media shouldn't explicitly mention real people or events. Or something along those lines. It's probably that for Jojo's mentioning of Nazis too.

I haven't seen or read Jojo before but everyone thinks it's great so maybe I will. Part of me really hopes that it becomes so popular that we can finally leave this perpetually mindless moe churning era.

I love a lot of anime that could be classified as "moe" but enough is enough.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jojo is very old as a manga right? I'm pretty sure I know what's up from some research I did last semester; the same thing happened with Persona 2, they removed all the explicit references to Hitler and Nazis in the remake.

Believe it or not this isn't because of touchy subjects or censorship, but because of a (relatively recent I'm guessing) law in Japan that media shouldn't explicitly mention real people or events. Or something along those lines. It's probably that for Jojo's mentioning of Nazis too.

I haven't seen or read Jojo before but everyone thinks it's great so maybe I will. Part of me really hopes that it becomes so popular that we can finally leave this perpetually mindless moe churning era.

Well, that's kinda of dumb. But, is this law only for the TV? Because I'm pretty sure they will drop the censorship on the Blu-ray release.

And you shold totally check out Jojo. From what I know, the anime is doing great in Japan and there's also a game coming out for the PS3 this year.

OK, so I just finished reading Molester Man and... loved it.

I am generally not into romantic stories, so I had my doubts about it going in. What convinced me to, was the humour in the snippets that you guys were showing, as I absolutely love this use of interior monologue. Molester is so plagued by anxiety and paranoia, managing to be utterly hilarious and extremely relatable at the same time. He sounds like an arsehole at times, but for the most part it's the sort of stuff that quickly crosses anybody's mind (at least for people I know).

I did raise an eyebrow at Sachiko the Onahole and his New Year's group wank with the Vippers though. XD There were so many points where I was like

'No, you are NOT going to do/say that' before he actually does and I lose my shit. The guy's such a tool at times; you've got to love him. You're always routing for him, since he's obviously a good guy despite the screw-ups. I can definitely empathise with the whole texting/calling lark. It's such a frustrating way to communicate sometimes! The way the characters are handled is so good, that I ended up caring about all of them (well, maybe not so much for Miss Understanding since she takes a back seat for the bulk of the story, but certainly the other big players).

I normally find happy endings in these sorts of stories to be too idealistic and unrelatable, but Molester, Kansai and Loli go through so much shit (particularly towards the end) that you get wrapped up in it and even I just desperately wanted them to catch a break. It didn't feel like a typical ending, in that I actually couldn't be sure that this was going to work out.

One more thing: the faces... Just some of those faces, and extreme poses, were too damn good. I laugh a lot, but to laugh this much at one story is still pretty unusual. Why isn't there moooooore...

I hate it when good things come to end. Seriously, even if you're not into romance, give this one a go anyway. At the very least you'll be laughing your arse off.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well, that's kinda of dumb. But, is this law only for the TV? Because I'm pretty sure they will drop the censorship on the Blu-ray release.

And you shold totally check out Jojo. From what I know, the anime is doing great in Japan and there's also a game coming out for the PS3 this year.

I don't think it's only for TV, but for all published media, because I know many notable game releases with that problem.

So yeah, me, Noel, and Jin watched Rebuild 2.22 and being someone who's not too versed in the Eva universe, twas kinda awesome towards the ending, and no near as depressing as the original series. Although I noticed, Asuka doesn't play as big a role in this series as in the original, which is odd.

I really want to see Part 6 animated too but that's going to take a while (if it ever happens)... I'm kind of newer to the Jojo fandom so the only part that I read as it is released is Part 8. I actually have an account in the JJBA Community Forums but I hardly post over there.

Well, welcome to the Jojo fandom then~ I used to be a very old member there (I was 15 years old when I joined, ah hah~) but one day, I just stopped posting. I'm in contact with the friends I made over there after all these years, so I'm glad I joined there. Every Part is awesome, with Part 1 being...strange due to Araki still getting used to his style but it's great. It's pretty short too for a Part.

I'm currently (almost) at the end of part 1 of Jojo. God, didn't know they had Italians there.

The first Italian of many that show up throughout the series. The author has a soft spot for Italy so the country and it's people appear often throughout the stories.

Speaking of which I just finished reading Vento Aureo.... What the fuck happened there at the ending. The bad's powers were hard enough to understand without that twist complicating things further. I'm actually pretty disappointed by that climax. It's essentially a deus ex machina asspull as King Crimson was made to be way too strong. 

Although i thinks ome of this may be due to the translations being not that good. It makes already complicated concepts even more confusing when it's written in broken english Comic Sans.

out of the parts I've read so far I'd probably rank them SBR>2>Jojolion (so far)> 4>3>5=1 Still have to get through stone ocean. 

The last anime I watched aside things that are currently broadcasting on Toonami was Kanon (2006), and that was at the persuasion of a friend to do so. Three years ago. moe moe desu?

Toonami wise, though, I'm currently DVRing Inuyasha and Naruto.  I've seen neither. Thinking that I might start catching Soul Eater as well.

Edited by Cyalume

Reposting my statement about the whole cursed spring thing here, since it did come from a manga, Ranma 1/2:

Okay, since I didn't do a good job of explaining the whole cursed spring thing, here is the elaboration: In the manga Ranma 1/2, there is a place in China called Jusenkyo. This place is known for it's cursed springs, particularly because each individual spring has had something(s) drown in them.

Now here is the kicker: If someone else falls into a cursed spring, they will transform into whatever drowned in that specific spring. In my previous status, I said a pervy guy had drowned in the Spring of Drowned Triplets, which means that every time the guy gets hit with cold water, he will become triplets of himself. The only way to temporarily undo this curse is to hit him with hot water. Is this clear now?

Oh, and for those of you who are curious about the Manga's name, that's because the main character, Ranma Saotome, fell into the Spring of Drowned Girl, so every time he gets hit by cold water, he becomes a she. I guess you could say he (was?) the poster boy for involuntary gender bending.

Oh, and did you know that Ranma 1/2 is the reason why most harem based tropes exist?

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Been watching Durarara!! I just finished Episode 11 and I'm loving it so far. Great stuff. 

... I really need to finish Baccano though. It's the same studio and Isaac and Miria's cameo reminded how much I'm missing out on, haha.

Good to know I am not the only one who thinks that as well.

Been watching Durarara!! I just finished Episode 11 and I'm loving it so far. Great stuff. 

... I really need to finish Baccano though. It's the same studio and Isaac and Miria's cameo reminded how much I'm missing out on, haha.

Nice, both are great.

The last anime I watched aside things that are currently broadcasting on Toonami was Kanon (2006), and that was at the persuasion of a friend to do so. Three years ago. moe moe desu?

Toonami wise, though, I'm currently DVRing Inuyasha and Naruto.  I've seen neither. Thinking that I might start catching Soul Eater as well.

The last time I saw inuyasha was like 10 years ago. I only saw a couple episodes, but Honestly I forgot everything about it and thoughts are blank as well. I heard real good things about it though.

It's fun as hell watching everyone else react to Madoka Magica in the Anime Society. They've already gotten past episode 3, but they left off at the end of episode 7 so they're gonna have even more of a gut punch today. 

• Thumbs Up 2