Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Just watched Nekomonogatari, an hour and a half of Hanekawa parading around in her neko mode in her underwear=pure win for me.

I'm here wondering why it's taken so long for them to make a One Piece/Dragon Ball anime crossover! And I'm also here wishing for a One Piece/Fairy Tail crossover, but apparently Toei doesn't like to work with other studios so aw.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm here wondering why it's taken so long for them to make a One Piece/Dragon Ball anime crossover! And I'm also here wishing for a One Piece/Fairy Tail crossover, but apparently Toei doesn't like to work with other studios so aw.

The problem here is probably between Sueisha and Kodansha. It would be pretty cool but I don't think that it will ever happen. Also, I can pretty much see the reaction of the internet: "FT IS A COPY OF OP WHY ODA WHY MASHIMA SUCKS".

But I think that there was a Shonen Magazine (Kodansha)/Shonen Sunday(Shokakugan) crossover. So, how about a Fairy Tail X Magi?

Also: SAO sucks.

• Thumbs Up 3

A Fairy Tail X Rave Master Crossover would make more sense/be more likely. 

Would be great to get an expansion on that special. ph34r.png

The problem here is probably between Sueisha and Kodansha. It would be pretty cool but I don't think that it will ever happen. Also, I can pretty much see the reaction of the internet: "FT IS A COPY OF OP WHY ODA WHY MASHIMA SUCKS".

I don't want a One Piece X Fairy Tail crossover because, well, it's not a copy of One Piece, per se... It's just really generic and when I read it, it just feels very bland and eh. I'd rather One Piece have crossovers with better shows.

Fairy Tail is amazing, maybe it's just better as an anime as I can't imagine it being as awesome or emotional in manga format, but what it lacks in overarcing plot it makes up for in amazing characters, consistently brilliant pacing and fantastic music. Its production values are some of the highest in a long-running anime I've seen!

Ahh I love Fairy Tail

swoons.

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I've seen of the anime, it wasn't very enjoyable either. It's nice to know the show is treated well, but that doesn't stop me from thinking its story and characters are uninspired. Each to his or her own!

Edited by MugiMikey

I like Fairy Tail too. And I also think that's totally different from One Piece, they have nothing in common. I don't watch the anime (Actually, I hardly watch animes based on long running shonens. The only ones I watch are Hunter X Hunter and JoJo) but I really enjoy the manga.

The only part I didn't like very much in Fairy Tail was the weird timeskip, I thought it was pretty confusing and pointless.

• Thumbs Up 2

From what I've seen of the anime, it wasn't very enjoyable either. It's nice to know the show is treated well, but that doesn't stop me from thinking its story and characters are uninspired. Each to his or her own!

How much did you see? It does follow a generic formula with each arc but it's the development of the main characters that makes the whole anime shine, I would recommend at least trying beyond the first arc or two.

But in any case yes, each to their own!

EDIT: Yeah FT and One Piece are nothing alike besides some smart art similarities.

The timeskip was to generate issues within the world and I'm assuming let Zeref's plot develop while stunting the growth of the protagonists completely, quite different to most shounens where protags go away for a few years to ~power up~ offscreen.

Edited by SuperLink

Fairy Tail is a mixed bag with me; people who say it's a one piece rip off can screw right off, you may as well say One Piece is a DBZ ripoff. The art style may be similar, but it's still pretty distinct.

My problem with Fairy Tail is, it's quality tends to fluctuate, a lot. When it's good, it's really good, but when it's bad, it reeks of generic shonen and that tends to turn me off. Maybe it's because Natsu is the main character and gets the most screentime, but I feel he is by far is the least interesting of the main protagonists. I mean compared to every other character, there's nothing about him that really stands out.

I enjoy reading it, but there are times when I roll my eyes at the cliches that are played straight as an arrow.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

Actually been wanting to read HxH, I hear it's pretty insane and that it tackles quite a lot of ground that most shonen doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 2

Add me to the "Molester Man was fucking brilliant and you should totally read it" club. Just finished reading it today. So good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually been wanting to read HxH, I hear it's pretty insane and that it tackles quite a lot of ground that most shonen doesn't.

It is pretty much like that. HxH feels like a seinen title sometimes, specially on the Chimera Ant Arc. I love it but it has a major problem: Togashi is lazy.

Seriously, it can take years for a new chapter to be released. And after some time of serialization, Togashi starts to drawn lazily, it sucks. At least he fixes his lazy drawing on the volumes.

So, HxH is great. Just be prepared to wait a lot for new chapters. 

I remember reading through like 3/4 of HxH and wondering what everyone was talking about when they were referring to the bad art. 

Then the chimera arc hit... holy shit if that wasn't like the raddest story ever that would have been pretty awful. It's like he sent in his sketchbook and an awesome script. 

I don't know, but something about the Second Hokage's bigotry of the Uchiha makes me laugh.

They're fucking ridiculous, of course it's funny.

Welp, I read all of Molester Man, and like everyone else I fucking loved it from start to finish.

Let me first that I'm pretty much a hopeless romantic. If it's well written and interesting, and if the characters are charming and act somewhat realistically, chances are ill be a total fanboy and swoon for any romance story. So in that sense this manga was practically made for me, especially considering how perfectly "underdog' the main character is and how he finds love in the end.

First off, the protagonist is great. As I said, I love when a underdog character is made "undergod-iest as possible" and Molester Man is the  perfect representation of that. He's the typical otaku, he watches manga, watches anime, doesn't have any many friends. The way he develops and grows as a character when he interacts with all the girls is really nice to see, you could just tell how generally awkward he was around other people and not just girls in general before he got a chance to et used to the company of Miss Understanding ones are generally one of my favorite archetypes, and Molester Man is certainly up there with Simon.

The other characters are enjoyable. I like how the manga starts off with Molester and Miss Understanding as the main characters but then it veers off of that with Molester getting to know Kasni, and Miss Understanding's role being demoted to a subplot/supporting character (it's mostly because of a revelation that I actually found pretty refreshing). Loli is a fun character, and her subplot is actually pretty important to the manga as a whole and leads to well written drama, as it also affects and serves to develop the other characters in really unique ways.

The humor is pretty fantastic, It all mostly comes from the protagonist and his otaku ways. The manga pulls no punches in letting us now how much of a perv he is (they go into great detail). He buys manga, watches anime, goes on forums for relationship advice (which yields some hilarious responses), the character even purchases an Onahole (something I could my whole life not knowing what it was) which is apparently sentient, and it's hilarious every time I see it. His over-the-top reactions to when things don't go as he planned is also priceless.

That's not to say we don't get a good amount of humor from the other characters, Kasni is sarcastic and likes to make bad puns, and Loli and Miss Understanding are generally ditzy, and some of the other more minor characters (like the Chef and Molester's Dad) get a couple of funny scenes as well

Then I have to mention the dialogue/conversations, which actually feel very realistic and natural. I get that most from Molester, who always thinks about what he's saying and constantly apologizes whenever he fucks up in a conversation, his inner thoughts in general make the character easier to relate to (whenever your thinking internally, you never have to censor yourself and watch what you say, which is shown well here). I think it shines the most whenever two characters have a serious conversation, the way the react, the way they behave, the way the share dialogue, it all feels very...genuine.

For example, the way Kasni has to deal with her feelings for Molester and her friendship with Loli is actually very believable, and I could see someone having this kind of problem IRL, I think that what shines the most about this manga

The art is fucking great, the fact that it was hand drawn and not (for the most part) digitally altered in anyway really adds to the charm of it all. And honestly it just accentuates the sheer talent of the artist, and it actually inspires me to hone my skills so I could draw something of the caliber. The facial expressions are nice and varied, the reactions are hilariously unique and over the top, and on a personal note the way he draws hands makes me very giddy, the way he draw them in so many different positions and hit the mark every time makes me insanely jealous, lolol . I also have to give props to the artist for using a shit load of different styles to get certain scenes across (he can draw stuff that's on par with the style you'd see in DBZ, Bleach, or even Jojo's Bizarre Adventure).

And I don't want to spoil, it but the ending took me for a loop on a emotional roller-coaster before ending on a brilliant and touching note, oh god this manga is so fucking GOOD.

Read it, for fuck's sake read it! I had only planned to read a few chapters, but before I knew it I read through the entire thing in one go, it roped me in that quickly!

If you want whatt is essentially a near perfect romance story, I implore you to read this, you won't be disappointed. 

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 7

Agreed with everything! Molester Man stands far above all other romance manga; I have not read a single one quite like it. The artist took great care to make the characters so believable and realistic while still making them entertaining. The humor, the character development, the conversations... They are all excellent.

It's so great to see other people reading and enjoying this manga, this is something that everybody who loves manga ought to read. Even if you're not a fan of romance, just read it anyway. So shocked that this isn't more popular.

• Thumbs Up 4

It is pretty much like that. HxH feels like a seinen title sometimes, specially on the Chimera Ant Arc. I love it but it has a major problem: Togashi is lazy.

Seriously, it can take years for a new chapter to be released. And after some time of serialization, Togashi starts to drawn lazily, it sucks. At least he fixes his lazy drawing on the volumes.

So, HxH is great. Just be prepared to wait a lot for new chapters. 

I thought the long breaks in HxH were due to his poor health? He apparently developed nasty anxiety-related health issues when writing YuYu Hakusho.

Edited by SuperHighSchoolLevelAsshat
  • Thumbs Up 2

I thought the long breaks in HxH were due to his poor health? He apparently developed nasty anxiety-related health issues when writing YuYu Hakusho.

Yoshihiro Togashi had anxiety issues during Yu Yu Hakusho? Fascinating, that explains why it got darker later on.

I think I'm going to check out some of the early 80s anime from Discotek to get more of a taste of the earlier days.

I heard that story but I've never saw Togashi come out and say that. I know it's true that he had those issues with YYH (and Jump forced him  to continue writing) but nobody knows if he still has something like that or it's just laziness nowadays.  

I'm probably just pissed because I love HxH and I really want to see more of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the guy who made Panty and Stocking.

Trigger, that's the name of the studio. But Gainax guys are on it and the guy who worked on TTGL and Panty and Stocking.

Edited by Kula