Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Which was?

Having his Pokemon training methods put into question after meeting and battling Paul on different occasions. Ash spent a whole episode in a depressive state after his loss to Paul at Snowpoint City, which is the most notable reaction he's ever had to a battle loss.

Which is basically a retread of the contest arc of the AG season.

But instead of May's "win, lose, win, lose" sequence, we had Dawn's overconfidence leading to two consecutive losses in the Appeals round, an unruly Mamoswine, a bitch of a rival, fears of not becoming her mother's equal, but ultimately her confidence brought her into the Top 2 of the Grand Festival. It was tons more dynamic and interesting than May's arc.

Whom had very limited appearances, and was killed off rather unceremoniously.

But each appearance guaranteed some "shit is going down moments." J even attempted to kill Ash in some instances, which is much more than other villains can claim. And the fact that she died in this show is something.

The only Pokemon that had significant character development this season was Chimchar, and arguably Gligar/Gliscor not much beyond that.

Which is a big step up from Charizard's "Oh I got over my grudge in one episode, kk we cool bro" development, and Charizard is the Pokemon people go to when talking about Pokemon personalities.

But beside that, we had Ash training Gible repeatedly in order to master its Draco Meteor, which it did at the Lily of the Valley Conference, and those Pokemon that had little development compensated that with dynamic character quirks: Buneary's infatuation, Happiny's ridiculous strength, Buizel's confidence, etc.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to watch the 2 part Team Rocket special and here's my thoughts:

Well....that was anti-climatic. While it was a good episode in general, I personally wish it had a better ending. Basically Team Rocket captures Meloetta and Giovanni uses Meloetta to summon Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus. He goes a little too mad with power and Jessie, James, and Meowth thinks he's gone too far and dive at him and knock him over in order to stop him. Pikachu destroys and the area with a massive attack (it's quite a "fuck yeah!" moment), and Team Rocket escapes and goes back to Kanto with Jessie, James, and Meowth commenting on how special Pikachu really is while Giovanni comments on how he almost destroyed himself with the episode ending with a Team Rocket montage.

There's no indication on whether Team Rocket is coming back or not, and one of my gripes is Cynthia did practically nothing throughout the episode other than sending a Pokemon out to help everyone towards the end. Seriously, she has very strong Pokemon and couldn't do anything earlier to try and stop Team Rocket?

I'm personally disappointed Meloetta left the group. Just once can't Ash have a more rare Pokemon join his group? He always come in contact with one, but can never capture one.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess who loses the 1st round of the Unova League:

Does this boy lose everything?

God... Fucking... DAMN IT!!!!!

You read mangas right to left.

Ash beats Trip.

Though, based on some Pokemon Smash updates, and some merchandising in the near future, Ash may lose to a trainer who has all the Eeveelutions, plus Eevee itself.

You read mangas right to left.

Ash beats Trip.

Though, based on some Pokemon Smash updates, and some merchandising in the near future, Ash may lose to a trainer who has all the Eeveelutions, plus Eevee itself.

Yeah, Trip clearly loses to Ash.

Does anyone else feel like Trip wasn't a very good rival? Like at all, I mean he started off with some animosity towards Ash, but that was dropped fairly quickly, and afterwards he acts like he wants nothing to do with him. Outside of a few battles here and there, there is no real sense of rivalry between them. I mean Paul was glorified and a massive dick, but at least him and Ash had a good reason for being at each other's throats, as well as Gary, but Trip? None of that.

Yeah, the only thing trip had going for him was him thinking ash was some sort of hillbilly because he was from another region (remember when he kept saying ash was from the boonies?). But it went away rather quickly.

• 1 month later...

tumblr_me8vvhJBaj1r1alb2o1_1280.jpg

Pokemon Best Wishes: Season 2: Episode N

Get yourselves comfortable. Looks like this is more than a simple arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, this should spice up the League arc considerably. Though, given that Plasma made their big move in the game at the Elite Four, it isn't too surprising, thinking about it now.

Lets hope Team Plasma won't get hilariously shafted like poor Team Galatic was.

Edited by TheScroogenator

I wonder if they're going to keep all of N's odd little mannerisms, like how fast he talks. I think it'll be interesting to see how he translates into the anime.

But yeah, shit's going down.

If Ash loses to that little bastard with the Riolu, I will be very pissed off.

It's gonna happen watch.

Lets hope Team Plasma won't get hilariously shafted like poor Team Galaxy was.

Team Plasma had like what, 10 episodes out of how many episodes of the season?

Don't worry, the writers always find a way I screw Ash over.

I find the animé alright, but it gets really stupid at points (Thunder Armour, aim for the horn, no evil Pokés despite some looking like they were meant to be, lessons in friendship and spirit every few moments... need I go on?).

Also, apparently Rocket's back, so looks like Plasma might get shafted because HEY GUISE TEEM RAWKET IS STILL FUNNEH AND MOAR IMPORTANT THAN PLASMA, RIGHT?

The "FUNNEH" Team Rocket died 3 years ago, so if they're coming back, chances are there will be deliberate attempts to make the conflict between them and Plasma tense.

I doubt he will lose to the trainer with the Riolu. From watching these recent episodes, it seems like the major threat this league is the guy with all 7 Eevee Evolutions. If anything, I'm sure Ash will lose to him.

This time he will actually lose to a dude only introduced in the last 3 episodes that has an Arceus.

Edited by Tmsp

Yeah, it looks like he'll lose to Virgil.

Anyways, it doesn't look like N gatecrashes the tournament with his castle.

327586.jpg

D'awww

• Thumbs Up 3