Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

I really wish the version of V (Volt) that they used in the Mega Evolution special (actually titled MegaV (MegaVolt)) would hurry up and release soon, but there's still no word on a full version. D:

Speaking of which Part II of the special is coming soon. Which is great because I want to see Manon again

I enjoyed Act I so I'm looking forward to Act II. I loved both Alan and Manon so I can't wait to see which Mega Stone they'll find next and what's Team Flare's involvement.

Still, they kind of need to do something with Serena. She's embarrassingly useless to the point where she's sexist

Being a bad character and being sexist are two completely unrelated things.

She just lacks character outside of her crush on Ash, which was honestly dumb to begin with. I mean who the fuck would want Ash

It's kind of the reason why I always dread when the anime takes in-game characters, and why I'm honest to god relieved Leaf (as my favourite protag) wasn't one of them. They have no fucking clue what to do with them outside of expanding their background, which eventually leads to a dead end anyway and doesn't change a thing. They're usually just there as "The girl", a guide to something specific to other characters, a change of pace or to do useless stuff with Ash.

And you know what? I don't blame them, I blame Ash. He's been hogging that Pokémon spotlight for waaaaaaaaay too long now.

And what Jin said about what the animé does with in-game characters is actually one of the best case scenarios - worst case, they change their personality for zero reason at all.

Lookin' at you, Skyla. Who's bright idea was it anyway to turn you into a lazy jerk, when in the games you... were not?

• Thumbs Up 1

Being a bad character and being sexist are two completely unrelated things.

She just lacks character outside of her crush on Ash, which was honestly dumb to begin with. I mean who the fuck would want Ash

It's kind of the reason why I always dread when the anime takes in-game characters, and why I'm honest to god relieved Leaf (as my favourite protag) wasn't one of them. They have no fucking clue what to do with them outside of expanding their background, which eventually leads to a dead end anyway and doesn't change a thing. They're usually just there as "The girl", a guide to something specific to other characters, a change of pace or to do useless stuff with Ash.

And you know what? I don't blame them, I blame Ash. He's been hogging that Pokémon spotlight for waaaaaaaaay too long now.

Uhh what? May and Dawn are some of the most well developed characters in the show (who have the luxury of leaving when their characters run their course), they had had a journey that was just as relevant as Ash's and they were fine, and like I said Dawn was practically marketed as the CO-STAR fo the show right alongside Ash, so they're hardly background characters or anything. Just because Serena isnt doing so hot right now doesnt mean every past main girl in the show is retroactivley just "the girl", that's selling their characters extremely short tbh

ookin' at you, Skyla. Who's bright idea was it anyway to turn you into a lazy jerk, when in the games you... were not?

Did she have a character in the games beyond a few generic lines?

Uhh what? May and Dawn are some of the most well developed character in the show, they had had a journey that was just as relevant as Ash's and they were fine. Just because Serena isnt doing so how right now doesnt mean every main girl in the show is retroactivley just "the girl" that's selling their characters extremely short tbh

They're the most developed but that's honestly not saying much.

While I will agree May and Dawn were the best of the bunch, it all just blended into "let's change the pace" and not that much actual and staying developement. Mind you this problem is also extremely apparant with... Every character that isn't Gary... ... ...Well I guess if you put it on that scale, May and Dawn would be amazing, but that's not my point.

Still, I just said my opinion. If you don't agree s'cool by me.

Did she have a character in the games beyond a few generic lines?

Honestly even if she was rather bland in the games, it still comes off as making her an unlikeable bitch for the sake of it.

I want to say there's an even worse case like hers, but I've sworn off the series so I wouldn't know for sure, I only ever posted that in here 'cause Jin made a point and I thought "what the hell, may as well put that bit of info there as well".

They're the most developed but that's honestly not saying much.

While I will agree May and Dawn were the best of the bunch, it all just blended into "let's change the pace" and not that much actual and staying developement. Mind you this problem is also extremely apparant with... Every character that isn't Gary... ... ...Well I guess if you put it on that scale, May and Dawn would be amazing, but that's not my point.

Still, I just said my opinion. If you don't agree s'cool by me.

When you say actual staying development do you mean... it doesnt stick? Because it kinda does, that's why being a character on a time limit is a good thing, they dont have to be written inconsistently like Ash has. May went from a ditzy character who hated Pokemon to a very skilled coordinator who matured and learn to love Pokemon. And Dawn went from an overconfident Coordinator, to a character in a depression arc that lasted awhile, to finally overcoming those issues and being a more level headed trainer because of it. Dont really know how Gary is developed though, he went from a jerk to a scientist rather quickly and we barely get to learn why....

Buut that's just how I see it, not really trying to argue about it.

When you say actual staying development do you mean... it doesnt stick? Because it kinda does, that's why being a character on a time limit is a good thing, they dont have to be written inconsistently like Ash has. May went from a ditzy character who hated Pokemon to a very skilled coordinator who matured and learn to love Pokemon. And Dawn went from an overconfident Coordinator, to a character in a depression arc that lasted awhile, to finally overcoming those issues and being a more level headed trainer because of it. Dont really know how Gary is developed though, he went from a jerk to a scientist rather quickly and we barely get to learn why....

Buut that's just how I see it, not really trying to argue about it.

The only reason I see Gary's drastic change to being a scientist is that Ash accomplished to beat him so Gary wouldn't have much grow. Funny still that Gary still managed to bring Ash down a peg after winning the Battle Frontier

Gary's ego was really shot when he lost to Marissa in the final round of the preliminaries in the Indigo League, even if he did a good job in masking it. By the time Ash returned from the Orange Islands, he was much more calm and levelheaded, and learned that he's not the badass he thought he was just because he's the grandson of a world famous professor, and that some people are simply better than he is. Ash learned that himself when he lost to Gary, but he eventually became Exhibit A to Gary's lesson when Ash beat him directly in Johto. From there, Gary just decided that he can add on to the Oak legacy in another way, by being a researcher himself.

He kinda went through the same thing Dawn did: confident he can fill one's shoes, finding he's not up to snuff, gets over it and becomes a better person for it. His arc just happened to occur offscreen.

While we all agree Serena is boring, I kinda feel like the writers are trolling her at times

2c0.jpg

Part of me wants to have Serena's secret come out in the middle of the saga, rather than the end. The way it's been blatantly advertised makes it seem like that's what's going to happen, and it would bring out some interesting development for Ash and Serena that could be used for the latter half of XY, whether they decide to be something or not. Anything to change the status quo for a while.

It could get especially interesting when Ash and Clemont have their Gym Battle. Meyer likes the idea of Clemont and Serena, and between Bonnie's gag of finding a wife for Clemont, Clemont wanting to become braver and more like Ash, and Serena being wishy-washy over Ash, it's like Clemont X Serena is what's ultimately going to happen, and the Gym Battle and who Serena roots for or doesn't root for could be an indicator of it.

The fact that its shipping that is people's main interest of this season, aside from the battling. Its amusing to say the least.

Can you blame it?

Ash is Audience Surrogate in all but name at this point, boasting none of the charm he had in Kanto, OI, and Hoenn, Mega Evolution is barely examined, Team Flare seems to be relegated to the Mega Evolution specials with Alan, and hardly any Pokemon is getting any worthwhile focus apart from Froakie and Fennekin, but just barely. Shipping, pretty art, and Bonnie being all kinds of adorable is all this saga has right now.

Hopefully the upcoming Korrina episodes will fix that. Hopefully.

Its kinda funny how all of the plot seems to be related to the spin off material.

Can you blame it?

Ash is Audience Surrogate in all but name at this point, boasting none of the charm he had in Kanto, OI, and Hoenn, 

He's really not. It really bothers me that some people are suddenly saying this now just because he's actually sorta competent again after fumbling around like a chump in BW.

He's become a good battler again, willing to train and think of some strategies in important battles like the one with Grant, actually seems to have some sense of maturity (it helps that that none of the members of the group are distincly older then him) but still a child at heart. His equal bromance with Clemont also is something new for the character (since all the male relationships in the past were that of an older sibling). I dont see how that means he's suddenly the audience surrogate after several years of people NOT relating to him at all in any series prior since OS.

Shipping, pretty art, and Bonnie being all kinds of adorable is all this saga has right now.

And good development for Clemont?? Seriously he's the best thing about XY so far. Also im pretty sure every Pokemon on the team besides Bunnelby and Fletching have gotten a decent amount of focus so far, barely 30 episodes in of a 100+ episode series, people seem forget that

Its kinda funny how all of the plot seems to be related to the spin off material.

Again, only episodes of XY, not even DP picked up in plot that quickly. Mega Evolution has been "barely explained" because it simply hasnt happened yet (the Korrina Arc is looking to fix that with the Mega Evolution Arc which kinda defeats the point of that complaint). Not to mention the Malamer episode which makes obvious foreshadowing to team flare. Oh and Ash is facing the Champion in the literal next episode

Also I could really gives less of a shit about the shipping, it's gonna go nowhere, so whats the point of getting invested.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it here yet, but Pokémon Origins will be airing on the UK on CITV from tomorrow until Friday, at one episode a day at 7:35AM.

I'm still actually really tempted to buy the Japanese DVD for Origins, but god damn Japanese DVDs are pricey. It's even more frustrating that the Blu-Ray is only around £3 more expensive, but a) It wouldn't play here whereas the DVD would and B) I don't have a means of playing Blu-ray at the moment, even if it'd work.

I'll probably just import the DVD soonish, but £25 for just the four episodes is a bit painful on the ol' wallet.

New opening debuted this week. Mega Volt, as expected.

What isn't expected, is who shows up in it.

tumblr_n6bzkxWJiu1r1alb2o1_400.jpg

I was worried they would be forgotten like so many other rivals.

New opening debuted this week. Mega Volt, as expected.

What isn't expected, is who shows up in it.

tumblr_n6bzkxWJiu1r1alb2o1_400.jpg

I was worried they would be forgotten like so many other rivals.

It also REALLY looks like Korrina is joining the cast as well (she wouldnt be in the OP otherwise). Good, I was wondering why the XY Cast didnt have a female character so far and instead just had a plank of wood.

Oh, awesome- I'd heard they were using MegaVolt for the next few episodes, do we know if it's a permanent change or if it's just going to be for the Korrina Mega Evolution arc over the next few episodes?

So Fletchling evolved, but we kind of saw that coming. Ash does indeed get a Hawlucha....and Serena is still rocking only Fennekin....I don't how I'd feel if she didn't catch a single Pokemon by the end of the arc.

And it seems Korrina is sticking around for a bit, as well the three rivals from X & Y showing up.

Wow that remix was garbage.  Up pitched, sped up, drab techno garbage.  I quite like the first Japanese opening theme, but this mix is horrible.  Intro's neat though, particularly since it reveals the fact that Fletchling evolves (expected considering this Ash evolving his starting bird Pokemon is the one element of Ash's team that has remained consistent through every season barring Johto because he already caught his starting bird, Noctowl, at its highest evolution) and the fact that he gets Hawlucha (which we saw in that manga spoiler).  Fingers crossed Froakie evolves into Greninja later on.  They'd be pretty crazy not to have Ash have a Greninja though.

Ending theme sounds like your typical J-Pop affair.  I don't mind it though, prefer it over the previous ending theme.

Fingers crossed Froakie evolves into Greninja later on.  They'd be pretty crazy not to have Ash have a Greninja though.

Silly Do0m, Water starters never evolve!

Silly Do0m, Water starters never evolve!

Ahh yes indeed, but consider this! Unlike all those other times, Froakie is his only starter! So by that logic I say that increases his chances signifignatly (I can dream dammit)!

Wow that remix was garbage.  Up pitched, sped up, drab techno garbage.  I quite like the first Japanese opening theme, but this mix is horrible.

Aww, i thought it was pretty good and it had a really sweet beat to it. Or maybe that's because the video elevated it because it was so awesome, I dunno