Awoo.

Duke Nukem Forever

Patticus

While I would love to enjoy it someday because I am a Duke fan, it seems that Forever has just become the FPS equivalent of Sonic 2006. On the flip side, I enjoyed Sonic 2006.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man. I'm conflicted as shit about this game.

Edit: Oh, and the people who are complaining about the atmosphere of Alien Hive and that one scene in it being so "not appropriate for a Duke game" clearly never played beyond the first episode of Duke 3D.

Edited by Tornado

I love this game.

Oh, and PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS GAME MAKING FUN OF HALO! I AM NOT KIDDING!

So does anyone else remember that pre-order receipt?

You've probably seen this 10-year-old Duke Nukem Forever preorder receipt before - perhaps even here. What you may not have known was that it belonged to Bill Stiernberg, a 27-year-old attorney who was recently interviewed for the game's release this week.

"It was kind of surreal to turn this fading, disintegrating pre-order [receipt] to the original store to finally get the game" Stiernberg said.

Gearbox even sent him a load of cool swag for his loyalty-and for those keeping score, he really likes the game, despite much negative criticism.

"It's ridiculous, and that's all I really wanted from it".

More in depth interview here.

Duke Nukem Forever DEMO now out on XBL & Steam for public download!!

dnf_cover.jpg

Last week, after 15 long years, against all odds, Duke Nukem Forever launched.

Today we're giving people the chance to try the game themselves.

The DNF demo is now live

on Xbox 360 and on PC via Steam. (We are working with Sony to get the demo out as soon as possible too.)

If you haven't played DNF yet, now is your chance to try out part of gaming history -- check it out and tell us what YOU think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, excellent. Gives me a chance to say how it is, though I will bear in mind what people have said about the demo not being that great at representing the final game.

That Octaking battle, man. Just aaarrgh.

Its possible that there is some amazing easy way to win it that I'm just not getting, but damn if I can't get it done the "normal" way. Plus the checkpoints for that battle suck.

Edited by Tornado

That Octaking battle, man. Just aaarrgh.

Its possible that there is some amazing easy way to win it that I'm just not getting, but damn if I can't get it done the "normal" way. Plus the checkpoints for that battle suck.

What I did is use a Holoduke & 2 cans of beer (one is in a box near the devastator), jump about avoiding attack while attacking the octobrains and king with the Devastator and RPG and hope for the best like I did took me alot of trys before I defeated Octoking should be a video for it on the internet by now probs try watching a guide for the battle if this doesn't work even though it did for me :).

There is a Devastator in that area? Where the hell is it?

That might explain my problem.

Edited by Tornado

Well, at least Gearbox knows how to put together a game's better parts for a demo. Still though the game felt mediocre overall. The entire demo existed on my harddrive and yet took forever to load each section.

I actually was surprised that the game itself loaded so much faster than the demo did. Not fast enough, mind you, but the load times are something like half to 2/3rds as long.

I actually was surprised that the game itself loaded so much faster than the demo did. Not fast enough, mind you, but the load times are something like half to 2/3rds as long.

Good, thats good enough for me, from playing the demo, dying would be really annoying if the full game had those loading times, see I died twice when fighting the aircraft carrier, and at one time, I HAD TO die >.< seeing as I threw away my RPG and didn't notice the ammo box <.<

Good, thats good enough for me, from playing the demo, dying would be really annoying if the full game had those loading times, see I died twice when fighting the aircraft carrier, and at one time, I HAD TO die >.< seeing as I threw away my RPG and didn't notice the ammo box <.<

Still longer than it should be, given other FPSes can do checkpoints without reloading the stage. Also inexcusable when the game is able to respawn you in vehicle segments without having to reload. But I guess if you have that much patience then go nuts. I know it would drive me crazy given how much I expect to die playing on the harder difficulties.

That was actually quite kind. Far less venomous than some of the legitimate reviews were.

Though I'm no less annoyed at him mentioning the tone change as being such a shocking thing than I am at all the other reviews mentioning the tone change as being such a shocking thing. That same shit was in Duke Nukem 3D. Jim Sterling being a grandstanding idiot about it doesn't surprise me. I would expect Yahtzee to know better, though.

Edited by Tornado

There's a lot of ground between the build engine and some sprites and what's in this game. I would not like to be in the same room as whoever made that level.

There's a lot of ground between the build engine and some sprites and what's in this game.
Edited by Tornado

To which I direct you towards the opening cutscene of Episode 4 of 3D, which was at least as explicit in its implications as what is shown in Forever.

And by "implications" I mean "Duke Nukem 3D practically showed onscreen rape, whereas Forever just shows something that we had basically already seen in Alien 30 years ago."

I am probably the only person in the world who will acknowledge two things about this game.

A) It's old, somehow unfinished, unrefined, poorly written and altogether a bad game.

and

B) Somehow, despite these odds, it's the most fun I've had with a video game in the last few years.

I come to this conclusion because hey, it's not trying to be serious, it doesn't even appear to be trying to be a good game, DNF to me is the devs being all "Here's some guns, plenty of ammo for them scattered around and a ton of enemies to blast away. Have a ball." I went into this game expecting nothing special, I just wanted fun. That's exactly what I got.

Edited by Birdie
  • Thumbs Up 2