Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

I call dibs on dissecting Jim's article.

God dammit, I traveled ten years into the past for the chance to do that.

I call seconds.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nah, he scarred me greatly with that horrid Colors reivew. If this review sucks, then lets just say hell hath no fury.

His Sonic Colors review seemed like the only one not written by someone from bizzaro world. And by the way, his Generations review is up.

Jim's review is here , its................................................an 8.

Really? Y U no link to it?

EDIT: NVM, Phos posted it

Edited by Vec

Jim's review is here , its................................................an 8.

Let me guess "shitty friends"?

His Sonic Colors review seemed like the only one not written by someone from bizzaro world. And by the way, his Generations review is up.

Quoted for the sake of visible link on this page.

The best part of that review is the comments... you can really tell who doesn't question reviewers or who doesn't read anything but destructoid and actually believes everything written there word for word.

But good score though, maybe now people will get over the whole 'jim said this' thing.

Edited by Hogfather

Props to Jim for meriting the graphics and music.

I also noticed Jim gave Sonic Generations a higher score than Battlefield 3 and the same score as Gears of War 3.

Edited by Neon

I dunno. I'm pleased with the score, especially given his treatment of Colors, but he sort of insulted us here:

As for Crisis City? The fact that it was allegedly a highly demanded level only seems to prove just how demented the Sonic fanbase has become

I mean, if you don't like the stage, then fine, but don't be a freaking douche about it. Why do some people feel the need to convey their opinions this way? On top of that, some comments couldn't help but make me think "I suck at this game and I'm blaming the game for it", in particular his criticisms toward the classic levels.

Really, though, (and this isn't related to the game but I still feel like I should say it) my biggest problem with Jim's reviews - of anything - is that I simply don't like him. Whenever I read a review of his I just get this pretentious, douchebaggish, almost even elitist vibe from it. It has nothing to do with his treatment of Colors; I honestly just find him a despicable human being. XP

Edited by T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 6

Man! This guy really hates Silver.

Kinda shocked he went after Silver and not Shadow. Then again...meh.

He only went at one character that entire review, and not one mention of "Shitty friends" or anything close to it. I'm rather surprised.

Well color me surpised, Destructoid is positive. Will fans be glad its not a crap score like Sonic Colors, or will they bitch because he didn't give it a 900Trillion/10? Call me crazy, but I thought Sterling's review was better written than the IGN review.

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess I'm not the only one, because I thought it had more detail than IGN in explaining what the good and bad things were about the game. Of course there are some picky moments I have, it's not much to actually make a statement about.

Video Games Zone.de = 85 / 100

= 8.5 / 10

= 4 / 5

= 8/10

GamePro Germany = 87%

= 82 / 100

IGN = 8.5 / 10

Destructoid: 8/10

5otk75.jpg

Keep the 8s coming, I want a reason to continue using this.

I was expecting a 7 or 7.5 from Destructoid, considering the brutal nature of their reviews, so an 8 surprised me. I'm at odds with the way the review was written though; it just really irked me how elitist it sounded.

• Thumbs Up 3

That was a really good review. Good score too. I went and re-read the Colours review for comparison and still don't quite understand a lot of his comments about it. There are a few flaws he picks out in that one that really just don't make sense to me, and nothing to warrant a score as low as 4.5. This time around it seems like he's not blown any of his dislikes out of proportion. Much better! :)

Oh and shouldn't we be getting more reviews from Europe starting today? I especially want to see what Spong and Eurogamer has to say.

Edited by Blue Blood

Just to keep you guys in the loop, there will be TWO reviews written by me landing this morning. One will be on SPOnG.com and another will be on Videogamer.com. I'll update with links as soon as they're live.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just to keep you guys in the loop, there will be TWO reviews written by me landing this morning. One will be on SPOnG.com and another will be on Videogamer.com. I'll update with links as soon as they're live.

They're not going to be written differently are they? Two reviews by the same person seems quite unfair unless there's...I really don't know what else to say other than that actually.

Two reviews by you? That uh... is odd :P I don't know how the sites work though. Do they both do different types of reviews or what?

Why do I feel like everytime I read the comments on anything Jim sterling writes about it seems that everyone doesnt have an opinion of their own? Especially when it comes to Sonic games. If Jim says it's bad then everyone thinks it's bad, if it's good then everyone else thinks it's good too. It's like Jim does all of the thinking for them lol. But one thing I dont agree on in that review is that Seaside hill has awful platforming, the platforming and level design for that level is one of the best in the whole game IMO. but oh well, great score :3

• Thumbs Up 1

They will be written differently because they're written for different websites. The points will largely be the same, and the score will be no different for either review. It's difficult to explain, when they both appear you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: To answer Blue Blood's question, competing websites will demand original content. A freelancer will not get away with writing one review and selling it word-for-word to multiple websites. It doesn't give either outlet a competitive edge. I am paid to work for SPOnG, but have also freelanced for Videogamer.com on this occasion because the website wanted someone with Sonic knowledge to review the game for them.

Here's SPOnG's review: 88%

http://spong.com/fea...nic-Generations

Sonic’s usually-annoying friends.

Oh, no! Not you, too! IT'S SPREADING! RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEESSSS!!!

Nah, just kidding. :P Great review, Dread! Hearing you praise the game's extras, multiple routes, fanservice, and nailed down Classic level design makes me want to play it even more. :D

At work now on a phone - can't transcribe the review. Gamereactor.se gave the game a 7/10, same as Colors I believe. It was criticized for its lackluster and unrealized storyline and dated mentality of style over substance that Hedgehog Engine provides, but praised for good level design, amount of content and for being fast and fun in general. Basically, less of a "massive anniversary celebration" and more of a really good "greatest hits" album.

I'll translate when I get home.

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: To answer Blue Blood's question, competing websites will demand original content. A freelancer will not get away with writing one review and selling it word-for-word to multiple websites. It doesn't give either outlet a competitive edge. I am paid to work for SPOnG, but have also freelanced for Videogamer.com on this occasion because the website wanted someone with Sonic knowledge to review the game for them.

Oh right. I'm not 100% sure how fair that is in the grand scheme of things as it basically gives your opinion double the weighting, but cool anyway.

Edited by Blue Blood