Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

Would a topic about video game journalism in general be acceptable in the games forum? Most threads seem to be game focused, not culture of gaming.

Anyways, I think it's unfair to lump criticism of reviews in general (or this review) with the people who overreact to scores and want perfect 10's or "omggamesux". I've been a gamer for 20 years, and I've been reading magazines, going on websites and discussing games on forums. I just think all these sites (IGN, Destructoid, Screw Attack, Gametrailers etc) are filled with terrible writers who couldn't pass a college art criticism class. I am happy to see good scores, but I don't trust the 8.5 any more than I did the 4.5.

Most people have been calm and eloquent in expressing themselves, the only people freaking out are telling them to shut up and take whatever they get. I don't see any "bawwing" Sonic fans complaining the score's too low. I just feel that, if I was undecided about the game...I'd have no clue on whether I should buy the game because it's not very informative aside from purely opinionated commentary. As a writer, I find it...insufficient.

Anyways, we beat this up too much. We trounced this dead horse, on to the next one.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think IGN's review is quite accurate. He probably liked the game alot, but that doesn't mean you can't critisize the game's flaws because every one of you know that they're in the game. We discuss and debate these things on the forums everyday(controls etc) and it just so happens IGN noticed too, which isn't weird at all. I guess they didn't thoroughly explain the pros and cons in details, i'll give ya'll that. But some of you are just exagurating.

A 7.5 for graphics is accurate too if you ask me. Sonic generations looks good, not great. As they described "Looks great in motion, but not as nice when everything stops. Framerate issues pop up somewhat regularly." The game runs on 30fps and yet it still has framedrops? Beside that it just doesn't hold up with today's standard, and no i'm not comparing it to all that gritty shit.

The 7 for sound may sound a bit too low for some, but honestly some remixes are simply not so great. I personally don't like how they gave most classic sonic stage from the modern levels a sorta "dance" sound. I feel that classic city escape could have sounded much better with a different aproach instead of cash cash being picked to compose it into a generic track. Same goes for other tracks which could have sounded alot better. Planet wisp both versions sound worse than the originals, but what dissapoints me the most is how little creativity went into alot of the tracks.

It's hit and miss with the remixes. But i'm not so impressed with the good ones either but no doubt there are "some" gems among the tracks. The great amount of remixes is still great so i can't complain myself but I do get the score

Edited by Djawed

Regarding IGN's Review,it's kind of stupid how they regard too few bosses as a definitive negative, when they said the bosses aren't that great...

I noticed that, too. It reminded me of the really cartoony SFX from the 3DS version. Wasn't the one in Unleashed different?

Also, when he was doing tricks it show show how man you've done..

Possibly the Power Brake skill?

Possibly the Power Brake skill?

I don't know what that is (Or want to), but it seems to be just the braking sound.

I don't know what that is (Or want to), but it seems to be just the braking sound.

Nevermind, I your post wrong XD If a mod or something can delete this post, that would be nice. It serves no purpose

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

This is technically classified info but... you guys are going to like the next main Sonic game very, very much. Not allowed to say any more details though. ph34r.png

How could they complain about the graphics? They look amazing. The framerate does worry me though.

I can see why they'd knock the graphics down. Sure, they are beautiful in motion, but in screenshots, you can tell things could look MUCH better. Just look at any of the plants, trees, and etcetera. Or look at the near j-peg quality of the texture on the helicopter in Speed Highway. Things could be much better. However, considering the size of the worlds, its understandable that things wouldn't look downright spectacular; its the same reason why open-world game typically have lesser graphics than title with a more focused campaign/story mode.

All that having been said, Generations has a beautiful lighting system that should have got the game at LEAST an 8 in my opinion.

God damn you guys getting the version I don't care about.

Has anyone gotten the PS3 version yet?

I laughed waay to hard at this.

^^ I'm allmost done with game

and I really like it <3

but 8.5 is totally ok.

but I like the unleashed levels bit more. And I can't fit with the music. Originals are better.

The graphic is awesome <3 9/10 for graphic

God damn you guys getting the version I don't care about.

Has anyone gotten the PS3 version yet?

From GAF:

"BTW for anyone who played both 360 and PS3 ver., which do you think is better? I have PS3 and haven't had any slowdowns but the Cutscenes' CGI looks a little 'rough'."

Apparently Tristan from TSSZ says that the cutscenes are all pixelated. Is this true?

Apparently Tristan from TSSZ says that the cutscenes are all pixelated. Is this true?

Seems like it on both consoles. I bet it's compressed like the cut-scenes in that-other-game-i-can't-remember.

I call dibs on dissecting Jim's article.

Of course you would after the Arkham City fiasco. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets anything lower than an 8.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Nah, he scarred me greatly with that horrid Colors reivew. If this review sucks, then lets just say hell hath no fury.

The way I see it, he's either going to give the game an incredibly low score, or an insanely high one. I'm not expecting it to score in the range of Generations' other reviews since he loves to... differentiate himself.

• Thumbs Up 1