Awoo.

Sonaze Ship-Tease

watako

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the 2 seemed to "like" one another. Not sure if it'd go so far as to coupling but I do think there's something going on between them. My guess is he might just find her to be a good friend and respects her. As for his awkwardness, well Sonic's not all that good around girls, especially one like Blaze. She's not a kid like Cream that he can just pat on the head nor is she impulsive like Amy so running away would appear childish and rude. She's a more serious character and doesn't believe in idle chit-chat (proof of this is the scene when Cream takes her over to her house for tea. Blaze is blown away but how nice they are and can't relax knowing the Sol Emeralds are still out there). If anything she's sorta like a cross between Knuckles and Shadow which is why I found it interesting she was Percival Black Knight. I mean think about it, it's not like there weren't other MALE characters Sega could have used. Heck they could have changed Jet's role, or Silver's to be Percival. Why Blaze? Because all 3 of those characters have similar personalities that's why. They are more lone wolf characters that take their duty seriously.

Now if we think of Blaze like a Knuckles or Shadow character we can start to see why Sonic might be so close to her. Both those characters NEEDED Sonic, they were alone and isolated. He helped them become better individuals by showing them they could open up to others. Sonic likely sees that Blaze is a loner and feels compelled to "save" her. He was likely happy to see her become friends with Marine since she's from Blaze's own dimension unlike Cream. That could be why he brought up Cream in the conversation in the end of Rush as well. He wanted her to have a friend and not go back alone. So he reassured her that they were friends and no matter what she wouldn't be alone.

I'm pretty sure that's just how Sonic treats all of his friends, yeah there are a few hints here and there but I doubt its hinting at anything romantic and just Sonic being the nice guy that he is. Blaze was a socially awkward character who really just wanted some friends of her own, but she hid behind a mask of aloofness to hide that fact and Sonic, Tails, and Cream were able to break through that mask to finally befriend her. While I do think Blaze is grateful for having her friends, I'm pretty sure the relationship is strictly platonic and any hints can be chalked up to wearing shipping goggles.

Romance is(And I thank god for this) a small part of the series, so it really isn't worth wasting your IQ points on to think whether or not, character A will get together with character B, hell the closest couple that almost made it to canon were Knuckles & Rouge, and even that's been downplayed in recent years, at least the romantic tension anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

You make alot of sense but please try to use better language. If you were upset on what I wrote then couldn't you just leave? I didn't insult anyone here so you shouldn't do it either. Oh and I never said "Raisin' Me Up" is a romantic song, I was saying that it described their relationship. It's soft and pleasant and the music became clearer when they were holding hands.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest

I do think sega has tried to subtly ship-tease us with this pairing. I mean ship teases are a great way to get fans into the story, and lots of works of media include them even if the ones involved aren't a 'canon' couple. Making them subtle is also a good way to not alienate people who don't like/want that couple/any couple in their media.

I think sega also did this with shadowxrouge. I remember when SA2 came out and people were pairing them I thought it was pearly a matter of personal taste because it seemed pretty clear sega was trying to pair her with Knuckles. Nowadays I think it's pretty clear they're teasing the ship (perhaps along with knuxrouge). Of course they're still subtle enough that people can see it as strictly platonic too.

This seems to be most common in media that's aimed at kids and men (which one could argue Sonic is both). How many kids cartoons/shonen type series have very little overt romantic moments in the plot, but every now and then have a scene or 'episode' in which they put in just enough to make the fans craaazy.

PELLY LOVES ROMANCE SO MUCH, WHY U NO DO IT MOAR T___T

• Thumbs Up 3

But the thing is, you probably should not talk about shipping, as that is up there with Politics and Religion on Top Three Stupid Things People Argue Bitterly About. I didn't see this thread going anywhere good from the title, so I thought I'd end it as soon as possible.

This seems to be most common in media that's aimed at kids and men (which one could argue Sonic is both). How many kids cartoons/shonen type series have very little overt romantic moments in the plot, but every now and then have a scene or 'episode' in which they put in just enough to make the fans craaazy.

Well, Like many said, I don't think that Sonic could ever be in a real romantic relationship in the games (lest it turn out like the Archie Sonic comics, and I think SEGA knows better than that) but if they had no choice and had to put Sonic into some kind of relationship with a character I'd definitely like it best with Blaze. I mean, when you look at the other female characters that would be eligible, I think that Blaze is just the most suitable one, y'know? She can take care of herself and isn't a crazy fangirl, plus she's pretty quick on her feet and can arguably almost keep up with Sonic, so that's always a bonus. Ontop of that, it could be used for comedy as well, such as in this, although with a bit more lulz. xD

Lastly, in my opinion, Blaze is one of the best character-developed female characters in the whole series. (At least from the Rush series...), We've learned about her likes, dislikes, personality quirks, some fears of hers, her 'duty' as the princess, and hell, she can transform darnit, that's awesome. However, like most, I'm glad that romance isn't really a big thing in Sonic's universe, and these two will just remain friends. =3

What I'd like to see though is more interaction between Sonic and Knuckles, Similarly to in that picture I linked earlier. xD We never get a taste of what their (obviously platonic) relationship is. How did they go from rivals, to broniks right before Sonic Heroes? But yeah, I can see little VE Animation skits between Sonic and Knuckles turning out amazingly. xD

Edited by Aptiva
  • Thumbs Up 3

What I'd like to see though is more interaction between Sonic and Knuckles, Similarly to in that picture I linked earlier. xD We never get a taste of what their (obviously platonic) relationship is. How did they go from rivals, to broniks right before Sonic Heroes? But yeah, I can see little VE Animation skits between Sonic and Knuckles turning out amazingly. xD

Might have something to do with fighting alongside each other a fair number of times beforehand, and enjoying the competition the other gives.

lol naruto.

Yeah, Ship Teasing throws the shipping fandom a bone while not letting the romance aspect completely take over the plot, and it leaves them to graon which paring is better.

Ya know all this talk about Sonic, and Blaze I am surprised no one has brought up Silver.

Actually I am really surprised too considering how many SilverxBlaze fans are out there.

Actually I am really surprised too considering how many SilverxBlaze fans are out there.

Let's keep it that way, the last thing this forum needs is a pairing war.

Let's keep it that way, the last thing this forum needs is a pairing war.

I've never understood why 'pairing wars' exist. Does it really upset some folk when other people support a different couple than them or don't support the couple they like? What's the mentality behind that? Why does it matter?

It's a shame to have to worry about that when discussing characters and pairings.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've never understood why 'pairing wars' exist. Does it really upset some folk when other people support a different couple than them or don't support the couple they like? What's the mentality behind that? Why does it matter?

It's a shame to have to worry about that when discussing characters and pairings.

I dunno? Maybe some people are just more vehement than others.

I'm not sure if Sonic is romantically interested in anyone in game continuity. His sex drive seems to have been replaced by an addiction to adrenaline, chili dogs, and power rings.

That being said...I could see Blaze having a crush on Sonic, but I can't see it being a one hundred percent canon thing right now. This is because the line between a strong platonic attachment and a romantic attachment seems pretty thin in this series. Amy and Elise valued Sonic dearly in their hearts...but Tails and Chip felt just as strongly about him. The difference is that the latter never kissed him or expressed a desire for marriage.

I like the idea of Sonic and Blaze getting together, but I'm worried that if it was made official, it would screw up some of the platonic relationships in the series. Even if Blaze has a crush on Sonic, I don't think she'd throw away her friendship with Amy to pursue it...I figure the girl probably has enough emotional problems right now without having that kind of guilt on her conscience, even if Blaze is gradually becoming a more open, light-hearted character.

There's also the fact that I generally want Sonic Team's Sonic to love all his friends equally, even if he loves them in different ways, and interacts more easily with people he's known longer. Having him commit to any monogamous relationship, whether it's with Amy, Tails, Elise, Shadow, or um...Omochao...potentially jeopardizes that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure if Sonic is romantically interested in anyone in game continuity. His sex drive seems to have been replaced by an addiction to adrenaline, chili dogs, and power rings.

That being said...I could see Blaze having a crush on Sonic, but I can't see it being a one hundred percent canon thing right now. This is because the line between a strong platonic attachment and a romantic attachment seems pretty thin in this series. Amy and Elise valued Sonic dearly in their hearts...but Tails and Chip felt just as strongly about him. The difference is that the latter never kissed him or expressed a desire for marriage.

I like the idea of Sonic and Blaze getting together, but I'm worried that if it was made official, it would screw up some of the platonic relationships in the series. Even if Blaze has a crush on Sonic, I don't think she'd throw away her friendship with Amy to pursue it...I figure the girl probably has enough emotional problems right now without having that kind of guilt on her conscience, even if Blaze is gradually becoming a more open, light-hearted character.

There's also the fact that I generally want Sonic Team's Sonic to love all his friends equally, even if he loves them in different ways, and interacts more easily with people he's known longer. Having him commit to any monogamous relationship, whether it's with Amy, Tails, Elise, Shadow, or um...Omochao...potentially jeopardizes that.

Kinda like a certain comic book, hohohohoho

Ya know all this talk about Sonic, and Blaze I am surprised no one has brought up Silver.

*Ahem* Last page, my post. >:/

Although it wasn't a war post, mind. I don't do war posts.

Well I think this is a neat topic. =) Hard to tell if their relationship was meant to be platonic or somewhat romantic... but Sonic responded to Blaze on an emotional level quite a bit more than he usually does. In most instances, it's the girl who loves him (Amy, Elise) but he doesn't appear to love them back in a romantic way. With Blaze there's a gray area, mostly because of that scene at the end of Rush, for the reasons the OP said. Other than that I don't have much opinion to add, mostly because I'm pretty neutral about SonicxBlaze and SonicxAnyone, so yeah. But I find myself really wanting to play the Rush series again, and pay more attention to Percival in Black Knight. I feel like I missed some stuff on all accounts.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I think this is a neat topic. =) Hard to tell if their relationship was meant to be platonic or somewhat romantic... but Sonic responded to Blaze on an emotional level quite a bit more than he usually does. In most instances, it's the girl who loves him (Amy, Elise) but he doesn't appear to love them back in a romantic way. With Blaze there's a gray area, mostly because of that scene at the end of Rush, for the reasons the OP said. Other than that I don't have much opinion to add, mostly because I'm pretty neutral about SonicxBlaze and SonicxAnyone, so yeah. But I find myself really wanting to play the Rush series again, and pay more attention to Percival in Black Knight. I feel like I missed some stuff on all accounts.

Interesting thoughts. ^_^

What I find most striking about Sonic's original interactions with Blaze is that he's opening up emotionally in a very strong way(Though probably still platonic in all likelihood, given that Sonic's opinion on romance in this continuity still seems as elusive as Sasquatch at the moment) to someone who he's known for a very short time, and who just tried to beat him senseless. I kind of feel like Sonic, if nothing else, wants Blaze to be able to enjoy being a hero the way he does, instead of viewing her position in life as a burden that traps her. I could see him trying to help Knuckles or Shadow in the same way, actually, though perhaps in a more subtle manner.

Sonic just wants people to enjoy life as much as he does, which is why he probably he tries to get characters like Knuckles, Shadow, and Blaze to lighten up a bit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic just wants people to enjoy life as much as he does, which is why he probably he tries to get characters like Knuckles, Shadow, and Blaze to lighten up a bit.

A simple yet profound statement, and I commend you for making it, Shadic. ^_^

A simple yet profound statement, and I commend you for making it, Shadic. happy.png

Yeah, and to sonic's credit, hes more or less gotten to Knuckles & Blaze, its Shadow who refuses to get that large stick out of his ass.

I don't think of them that way, I see Sonic and Blaze as great and close friends, before Blaze meet Sonic and co she went solo and was used to doing things alone and not working with others, she felt it was her responsibility. Then when she met Cream and other characters in Rush throughout the game she realised that she can rely on others, work together and create a friendship thanks to Sonic and co sending that message to her, Sonic always see's the best in other characters who don't want to show that other side Sonic sees in them. Blaze and Cream's relationship grew as the storyline in Rush went further as well as her relationship with Sonic ( in both Rush games), Sonic respects Blaze and she respects Sonic too and they are close as friends.

When it comes to anything vaguely romantic in a simple, cartoony franchise like Sonic, opposites attract is usually the key to making something I'll find entertaining. The characters just tend not to have enough nuance to give me much to work with otherwise, and the franchise doesn't have enough inter-game continuity that anything beyond a fun, simple, predictable dynamic would be feasible anyway. I mainly like Knuckles and Rouge, for instance, because he's a grumpy stick-in-the-mud and she's sly and unpredictable, and that usually leads to cute, funny things happening. I like Vanilla and Vector because she's sweet and soft and earth-tone and he's a humongous neon green, music-listening, gum-chewing, fire-breathing detective, and there's nothing I love more than patent absurdity. I've always thought that if Shadow ever had any kind of love interest it ought to be a comic relief character, because he would probably make things unbearably melodramatic otherwise. That kind of thing.

Anyway, I've never given Sonic/Blaze much thought, but aside from the wonky time-travel/interdimensional stuff I can actually imagine it working fairly well. Sonic's personality definitely meshes well with a stoic introvert like Blaze, and while she's more inclined to be awkward when she's shy instead of covering it up with comical bluster like Knuckles, there are still plenty of entertaining scenarios that could be wrung out of that.

Honestly, the biggest obstacle for me would just be that their designs kind of clash. Bright blue and lavender really don't complement each other, and Blaze's elaborate clothes don't quite fit alongside Sonic's nothing, either. Nitpicks ahoy~

Honestly, the biggest obstacle for me would just be that their designs kind of clash. Bright blue and lavender really don't complement each other, and Blaze's elaborate clothes don't quite fit alongside Sonic's nothing, either. Nitpicks ahoy~

I don't think that's a consideration to be ashamed of. Aesthetics definitely play into it, at least for me. For example, the only reason I have any interest at all in Shadow/Amy is because I think their colours go together wonderfully. I don't seriously support the pairing, as neither is a favourite character of mine and there's no reasoning for why they'd be a good couple... but they look good together, aesthetically.