Awoo.

Realism in Sonic Games

Chaos Warp

Hm, where's

fit into the taxonomy?

Edit: I guess it should be "those guys" given the frogs...

Edited by Diogenes

And it gets all the more odd that an alligator gets chase by another alligator (or was it a crocodile?) in that very same game.

The only other game I can think of that does this is Sly Cooper, where they put anthropomorphic animals right alongside the non-anthro ones. You have anthro ducks, vultures, and other flying animals wearing clothes, acting as guards and shooting you with guns or crossbows and yet a regular bald eagle can swoop down and claw you with its talons. And that's just one odd part of the game...and no one questions it. laugh.png

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

That's...pretty much what my post just said in detail.

Either way, that's not something I find acceptable with very little justifying why we shouldn't have humans.

Your post implied that this double standerd was a bad thing. Mine does the opposite. Why? Because without it the game is very likely going to have clashing styles and look bad.

And I can't look at those satbk people without thinking something that starts with "why would you...". That actually applies to pretty much am trying about that game, really. There's that one mission where you need to give rings to villagers living in giant abandoned siege weapons for SOME reason, then you have the sword talking and Sonic seems to be the only one who thinks it's strange, then there was that line about Halloween every day, the dragon that attacks you by trying to smash you with its jaw, man this game was weird. Not a very well realized world in that game, and it doesn't help that the setting can't help but make me recall the best realized world in a game.

Edited by Phos

Isn't it ironic, we have so many varieties of animals and no official catgirl-like characters. Just look at Sera, she was a much better character than Elise in terms of design. The ears and tail managed to neutralise the fact of her being human(-ish) and she didn't look out of place.

Isn't it ironic, we have so many varieties of animals and no official catgirl-like characters. Just look at Sera, she was a much better character than Elise in terms of design. The ears and tail managed to neutralise the fact of her being human(-ish) and she didn't look out of place.

I still sometimes wonder how things would've gone had they made the humans have the same proportions as the Sonic characters. Realism would've taken a massive hit. They might've actually been able to pull off the Elise thing, if she could look him in the eye without getting on her knees and if it didn't look like he could bite her head off.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can live with realistic landscapes, although I do like the loop landscapes. Realistic fur is acceptable. Logical actions by the characters is a must. Not a fan of realistic or unrealistic drama.

For realistic explosions- Robots shouldn't explode unless filled almost entirely with fuel. I imagine they are usually built with non-exploding materials; flexible metal muscles, hydraulics(I can see these as flammable, not explodable), pistons, gears, etc. I like unrealistic explosions though, who doesn't?

Realistically, Sonic would need to eat his weight in chillidogs every 50 or so miles.(wild guess) Showing characters heading towards the restrooms? nevar!

Edited by Forest_GS

I still sometimes wonder how things would've gone had they made the humans have the same proportions as the Sonic characters. Realism would've taken a massive hit. They might've actually been able to pull off the Elise thing, if she could look him in the eye without getting on her knees and if it didn't look like he could bite her head off.

I remember someone posting a pic of her being only slightly taller than Sonic. It was creepy as hell.

I remember someone posting a pic of her being only slightly taller than Sonic. It was creepy as hell.

With the big eyes and all that? I remember that piece of fan art, and no I never want to see it again.

No, I mean one that was posted together with that Classic Sonic fanart in this pose:

271px-Unleashed_Sonic.png

I'd post it if I could find it :-/

The one you posted looks creepy too. tongue.png

Edited by MarcelloF

It's funny- even as cartoony as Eggman has always looked, they've never just taken a template of Sonic's body and added the appropriate details. He's always been bigger and had some much different proportions than the rest of the main cast. Trying to shoehorn humans into the basic animal style like that just gives you something that not only looks weird but feels weird, probably because it's implying some unsettling biological similarity we'd have to hedgehogs and echidnas in that particular universe or something. I suppose it's the feeling melodramatic people get when they watch the kiss scene. But yeah, give me regular Elise any day. xP

While I was searching the picture I mentioned, I found this Brawl hack:

princesselise.jpg

I guess I wouldn't mind this style. She'd still be taller, but not extremely. Her features are neither too realistic or too cartoony. Of course it's just Peach here, but I'm just thinking something similar in style.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't a combination of the Unleashed and Adventure style humans be cool? Not too Animu, Not too Western.

That thing looks like a deformed Xbox Avatar. Please proceed to kill it with fire and brimstone.

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh dear sweet and merciful God, that Elise edit looks like someone butchered an eight year old and a twenty year old and stitched them together like a scarecrow. I thought this was a family friendly forum.

NOW I KNOW HOW FROLLO FELT WHEN HE SAW THE HUNCHBACK

Edited by Mr.Awesomest

All in favor of renaming this topic to "uncanny horror designs in Sonic games?"

Aye. *fetal position*

...anyway. I think there's a bit of a blurred line between different cartoon styles. I'm not sure where that line is, but seeing that cartoon Elise really didn't settle right with me. Even with a cartoon-esque visual style, I suppose there must be some essence of realism... I dunno. The idea that Sonic and his friends are dwarfed in comparison to the humans kind of worked, and the flicky animals being dwarfed in comparison to Sonic and friends seemed to work, too. But for some reason, it doesn't necessarily fit with humans.

I can't explain why I feel this way, but it's uncanny.

While I was searching the picture I mentioned, I found this Brawl hack:

princesselise.jpg

I guess I wouldn't mind this style. She'd still be taller, but not extremely. Her features are neither too realistic or too cartoony. Of course it's just Peach here, but I'm just thinking something similar in style.

I'd like something like this, if not only because it reminds me of Unleashed styled humans in a way. It's that softness and cartooniness in the design.